Forums

Topic: Recent Retro/Misc Gaming Purchases? (Not PS4/PS5)

Posts 1,141 to 1,160 of 1,585

RogerRoger

@mookysam Hey, if you've got a nice collection and want to keep it nice, I wouldn't call it fussy. Especially since the vast majority of folks don't look after their stuff all that well. Back in my student days (before the leaky windowsill) I'd occasionally trade things to CEX and I'd always get a comment about how pristine my discs were, and how well I'd cared for my cases.

You're sitting on a goldmine! Not that I think you'd ever sell your Zelda copy, right?

Oh, many of my PS2 games remain damaged. I end up debating the financial merits in my head, which usually results in me booting up whichever game I'm considering, realising it still works, and deciding to save up for bigger and better things. It's more if I stumble across a "too good to pass up" listing whilst looking for something else. I managed to get a limited steelbook for 24: The Game one time (for less than I paid for a standard copy at launch) and replaced a couple of my favourite Bond games whenever a serious Bond mood took hold, but I've still got a good dozen warped boxes on my shelf.

@Ralizah Wow, so people do actually buy old games for hundreds of bucks, then? That's kinda comforting to know, should I ever fall on hard times! I'd do the same as you; look around for comparative prices and then undercut them by a percentage. Seems a fair approach.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@RogerRoger Old games go for a hefty price all the time. I also sold an old NES game of mine for $140.

The funny thing is that I kept tabs on the dude who bought Haunting Grounds from me. He tried to flip it for an inflated price in his own listing shortly afterward. I know for a fact it's mine, because it's the seller who bought it from me, and there's a physical imperfection on the manual that's identical to a picture he posted in that listing.

I made sure to rip the disc ISO image before I sold it, so I can play it on my PC if I want.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

@Ralizah The cheeky beggar! Well, I guess that's a free market economy for you!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

mookysam

@Ralizah Yeah, lots of Atlus. šŸ˜ I'll be sure to write up some impressions when I get to them. I can't wait for SMT III HD so better get a move on!

I quite like the smaller New 3DS and even have some 20th anniversary PokƩmon themed plates. When the "new" systems originally launched I wanted the small one, but in the years since they've become very rare. I think the XL must have sold considerably more.

The original 3DS is some sort of monstrosity forged in a primordial fire by a vengeful gaming deity. It's almost uniquely uncomfortable to hold with those spiteful edges and the horrendously unergonomic boxiness. Luckily my top screen never got scratched, but I was annoyed no end by how grease from my fingers would cause the plastic surrounding the bottom screen to leave grotesque prints on the top one whenever I closed it. The build quality was surprisingly poor and it's still the only Nintendo system I've ever had issues with, but the games were so bloody good it was worth every single hand cramp.

@RogerRoger That's not surprising given the amount of of manky stuff people trade in, and I'm sure the staff were grateful to not have to handle anything horrid. I honestly wonder if some people use their games as coasters or makeshift cat toys. :-/

Not that I think you'd ever sell your Zelda copy, right?

Of course not. šŸ˜‚ I could probably make a lot of money selling certain GameCube games, but they hold far too much sentimental value and I know I'd end up heavily regretting it. In 2015 I sold a load of cartridge-only N64 games on eBay as I was strapped for cash and it was nearing Christmas. I think Conker's Bad Fur Day went for around Ā£70, which was at the low end of what I'd have expected, but I guess that's the risk when running auctions!

A 24: The Game steelbook sounds very nice indeed. Good find!

Edited on by mookysam

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

nessisonett

@mookysam I honestly donā€™t remember having any issues with my original 3DS other than the charger port falling out and me having to use the charging cradle thingy. My hands were smaller then though and the New 3DS XL feels great to use even now.

Plumbingā€™s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@mookysam Yeah, to get things to actually sell, you kinda need to lowball. Still glad to hear you were able to generate some extra revenue, despite the emotional wrench. I might be somebody who buys retro games, but I'm also somebody who can't believe some of the price tags, and I doubt I'd ever pay Ā£70 for a cartridge-only listing (no matter how badly I wanted to play a particular game)!

If you're nostalgic for older games, you'll only ever sell them once. I made that mistake in my youth, and traded in my entire PSone library for a pair of PS2 games. Much regret followed!

Making It So Since 1987

mookysam

@nessisonett Yikes, how did the charge port fall out? Nintendo stuff is historically very well made and their hardware is traditionally known for being very durable, but my 3DS was less robust compared to my other Nintendo systems. The analogue slider fell off for the first time when I played A Link Between Worlds in 2013. I superglued it and it was okay for a while, but it fell off again when replaying ALBW.

@RogerRoger I wouldn't buy something without a case and manual, but the price I'd be willing to pay depends on the game and how much I want it. I guess for a lot of gamers it's more about the personal value they get from an item. Years ago a friend paid over Ā£100 for Final Fantasy VI Advance, but is a massive fan of the series, so for him the value was there.

Eek, that sounds like a deeply offensive trade-in value to me! Have you managed to buy back many of your PS1 favourites over the years?

Your recent assortment of Bond reviews reignited my interest in the games, so I bought 007 Nightfire for the GameCube.

Edited on by mookysam

Black Lives Matter

nessisonett

@mookysam I have absolutely no idea but I did spend a good few thousand hours on it! I think playing it in bed while plugged in just caused some wear and tear. Also have fun with 007 Nightfire, one of my favourites growing up! Seriously great fun in multiplayer because the bots are unintentionally hilarious and the selection of weapons is fantastic for split screen.

RogerRoger

@mookysam Oh yeah, I ended up re-buying my PSone library a couple years later (not my original copies specifically, but found others in a decent condition). It was back when GAME was the only, er... well, the only game in town. As much as I try and support them nowadays, because otherwise gaming wouldn't have a dedicated High Street presence in the UK, they drive a hard bargain when it comes to trade-in prices. CEX aren't much better, of course, but at least things I buy from GAME aren't covered in jam.

Hurrah for NightFire, by the way! Here's hoping you enjoy!

Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

I've been playing quite a lot of New Star Manager on my phone again over the last few months.

I've won at least treble trebles in England, Spain, Italy, and Germany now! I eventually end up leaving as my squad gets too needy with development and contracts get too expensive to keep renewing.

I'm onto my next challenge in Scotland and holy crap the starting team are awful! I never remember having a team of only grey players at any point before and they really are not good

Thrillho

Ralizah

Bought a copy of Raging Loop for the Nintendo Switch.

RogerRoger

As mentioned elsewhere, I snagged some second-hand copies of Headhunter and its sequel, Headhunter Redemption, for my trusty ol' PS2.

Also got a small selection of old Star Trek games for my PC whilst I had an open basket.

Making It So Since 1987

egbert

mookysam wrote:

Your recent assortment of Bond reviews reignited my interest in the games, so I bought 007 Nightfire for the GameCube.

I have been thinking about this game for a long time. Is it worth the purchase?

egbert

Rudy_Manchego

Well - after much saving (I have had a side project for the last year of Ebaying a lot of old vintage mementos from mine and my parents childhood as my father is a bit of a hoarder), I have invested in an Oculus Quest 2 headset and a cable to attach to my PC.

Half Life Alyx here I come!

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

nessisonett

@egbert Nightfire is one of the best multiplayer games from that time period. The campaignā€™s silly but great fun too.

mookysam

@egbert I've only played the opening sequence to test it out, but I'm sure @RogerRoger would be able to help. Based on what I played it ran nicely and didn't look too shabby considering it's a GameCube game.

Black Lives Matter

Tasuki

@egbert Nightfire is the best Bond game since GoldenEye on the N64. In alot of ways it feels like the true sequel to GoldenEye in gameplay and such. Even the multiplayer is alot of fun. If your a fan of GoldenEye then you will enjoy Nightfire.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

RogerRoger

@egbert Well, there's not much more enthusiasm I feel I can add here! Considering you should be able to find a used copy going cheap somewhere, then I'd heartily recommend NightFire (the console version, at least; steer clear of it on PC, whatever you do). It's very much a product of its time but, if you've been curious to play it for a while, I'm sure you'll be able to find the fun.

Thanks to @mookysam for the nod.

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

Tales of Vesperia for the Switch. It was $12.50 digitally, so I was willing to take the plunge.

HallowMoonshadow

Well I haven't made a purchase yet but the post is in regards to purchasing stuff from the PS3's store so... It works... Right? šŸ˜…

My daughter and I have started making a list on all the stuff we want from the PS3's digital store and... F%ā‚¬k me this gonna be one expensive endeavour.

Thank goodness it's had that stay of execution as I was NOT gonna shell out this much in so little time.

It's especially annoying now as things like Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, Raidou Kuzunoha are US store exclusive (Understandable as they only released in the US) but now thanks to some stuff already disappearing on the UK/EU stores now even things like Klonoa & Tomba/Tombi is US exclusive now so... Yay for extra hassle! šŸ˜§

Plus the PS3 store is absolute garbage to navigate. The PS4's store can be a bit cumbersome at times but it's lightning quick compared to the PS3's store!

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic