Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 501 to 520 of 7,479

Ralizah

For anyone with a Switch, if you need extra controllers for your system, I HIGHLY recommend looking into getting an 8bitdo controller. Third party, but they look, feel, and play like premium controllers, and they cost thirty to forty dollars less than Nintendo's Pro Controller. Granted, you're also missing out on the NFC reader, HD rumble, and gyro, but if those things aren't terribly important to you, these are great! Also, can't speak for the other ones, but the SNES30 has a FANTASTIC D-Pad. This is THE way to play Neo-Geo games on the Switch, imo.

@KratosMD The service sounds awesome. $20/year is a great price, and I'd love to play certain classic Nintendo games with online multiplayer.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Rudy_Manchego

I m mightily confused by the $20 subscription. I don't think it is too expensive but one of the things I really want is the virtual console and I can't figure out if this service is replacing it or if there will e a separate VC. I hope not as I think waiting till 2018 is too long.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Octane

@Rudy_Manchego It is separate from the sub service, but who knows when they will come.

Octane

Rudy_Manchego

@Octane Cool, I was confused by getting classic games. Just get it out already!

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

themcnoisy

I'm unsure we're I stand on subscription services now, I was praising psplus a few months back but actually I don't want to pay Nintendo to play online. My home has a PS, Xbox and switch. That's 3 albeit cheap subscriptions to manage for doing something that is free on PC. 8 bit Nintendo games should be free on a rotating basis to everyone with or without subscribing - they are 30 years old now and only the retro gamers who've bought these games 3/4/5 times will purchase them again.

The £20 is basically disabling online play for me, but the incentive of balloon fight or Zelda 2 just does nothing to excite me.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Ralizah

@KratosMD Makes more sense for co-op games like Contra, imo.

themcnoisy

@KratosMD @Ralizah I think right now, the switch is doing well and for our family it's a great companion console. It will have a small selection of the big retail games to dip into every now and then. So the online bit, isn't that important to us. I don't want the added £20 to have a quick online game of contra, seriously whos asking for that?

They should keep it free. Why rock the boat just because Microsoft and Sony have these services. What Nintendo should do is a proper full on £40 a year service, with 3 games a month being pushed out akin to igc. One nes game, one snes game and one other. Now that's a service I would get behind. But keep the Internet free!

Edited on by themcnoisy

BAMozzy

@themcnoisy Online services are 'relative' to the individual. You can argue that both PS+ and Gold are 'unnecessary' and 'expensive' considering PC gamer's don't have to pay. We are being 'blackmailed' essentially to pay-up or miss out on games/content. Both MS and Sony though do offer 'something' back in the form of 'free' games - OK they may have some stipulations - like you can only play the games for as long as you are subscribed but the 'RRP value' of these exceeds the cost of the Subscription. You can also get some 'extra' discounts on games in their store too but you can also buy games in sales regardless of subscription status and its not like these are always 'cheapest' but those 'extra' savings may add up over time.

The 'value' of those games though will depend more on the individual and their preferences and circumstances. Its entirely possible that you could go a whole year and not download any game - either because you own it or don't like it. PS+ value also may depend on whether you own 'just' a console or multiple consoles PS3, Vita and/or PS4 and the frequency in which you play these. To a degree Gold is similar but if you own an XB1, you can download and play all games.

Access to online is again relative. That maybe a priority for people and the games, sale discounts are bonuses. Others may subscribe primarily for the games and discounts and see online as a 'bonus'

When it comes to Nintendo, some may see that as 'great' value if it enables them to play online regardless of whether they are at home or not, regardless of whether they are in the same 'room/area' as another Switch owner. Any additional extras - whether its access to old games for a limited time before they are replaced by other old games as a bonus.

If any of the above services are not 'important', ie you don't play online, don't buy digital games or 'enough' to make it financially beneficial, don't like or want any of the 'free' games regardless of any restrictions - like time or subscription status, its not going to entice you to buy.

In my case, Gold offers me the 'best' value for money because of the 'bonuses' are more frequently of interest. If I was forced to choose between cancelling PS+ or Gold, PS+ would go. Its not coming to that but that's how I feel because PS+ gives me 'little' back for my money compared to Gold at the moment.

In a year, you (and your family) may find that the £20 a year for the Nintendo Online is 'essential' to your enjoyment of certain games. Maybe you want to play Mario Kart, Splatoon or whatever MP games are available with 'random' players anywhere you may be rather than having to wait for all family members to be in a room together and wanting to play. It maybe easier than trying to find 'other' Switch owners that you can link up with and play together too. Maybe the 'bonuses' may appeal more then too as well...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

themcnoisy

@BAMozzy As a companion console the service is fine right now. It's just £20 for what we have right now, so I can't see any value in it at all.

Haruki_NLI

I'm noticing this system is having a hard time doing anything right.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

BAMozzy

@themcnoisy I am not arguing with your reasoning at all. The value of it though is very much a personal thing. PS+ at £40 a year may not seem 'great' value to someone who has no interest in online gaming on their PS4, no interest in the IGC games and/or the extra discount in the store.

With around 50% of PS4 owners also subscribers, this indicates that 50% don't see PS+ as offering 'value' to them yet I personally wouldn't want to be without it because I want to game online. I am sure you probably get more value from your PS+ subscription than I do as I don't buy games online (generally) and don't often have any IGC games of interest to me yet you also have a Vita so have more reason to subscribe and can keep that 'fed' with games without ever needing to buy a game at all - especially as 'new' games seem few and far between - is it still getting releases??

For Switch owners, that £20 'could' provide enough incentive to subscribe - not just the online but maybe the access to a few games a month - even if they are rotated rather than kept - is enough for less than £2 a month.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

themcnoisy

@BAMozzy yes obviously value is relative.

I would like to see a rollback in the 'paying for online' it's free outside of the console space and its annoying that with the 3 consoles they have all followed this approach. Costing £100 a year between them. But hey its the modern world. I won't be buying it, having the switch offline will do.

Octane

@themcnoisy I'm glad I enjoy single player games more than multi player games (or is it because I rarely play mp games due to the paid service?).

Some people use the argument that the free games make up for the price, and while that could be true, I have no interest in those ''free'' games. I usually buy my games when they come out, and if I don't buy a game myself, I probably didn't have much interest in the game anyway. I'd like to see a stripped down version of those services as an option. Remove the free games, just the online play. You know what would be even better than that? Allowing users to host their own servers, and bypass the subscription altogether.

Octane

kyleforrester87

I don't really play PS4 online, other than Destiny, which I havn't played in a while, but I'm bound to get back on it once D2 launches.

I don't really play the free monthly games.

But I keep my subscription for the odd times I do want to play multiplayer, and for the store discounts, which I expect make up for the majority of my subscription fee.

Maybe Nintendo will give store discounts for members too.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Octane

@KratosMD My Nintendo. Yeah... Got an e-mail the other day with a birthday gift from Nintendo, a whopping 30% off a game of choice (well, from a limited selection). Turns out, I already own those games, and I don't have a 3DS, so those discounts were pretty pointless...

Octane

themcnoisy

@Octane 'Allowing users to host their own servers, and bypass the subscription altogether.'

Yup I like this idea.

@kyleforrester87 PSplus is fine, you get the triple benefit of stable online, a variety of games and (recently very good) discounts and Its been available from the PS4 release. The Nintendo offering is no bells online with a moon old game that, lets be honest, anyones passed caring about.

It's more the case of the Nintendo service coming way after the switch release, I'm happy with the here and now don't change it!

@KratosMD your example is bad business all over. Nintendo are great at making games, but I don't trust them to do right by the consumers due to their usually backward business strategy.

Rudy_Manchego

I'm not a big online player, though I do it occasionally with friends. With PS Plus, I maintain that mainly for the choice but largely for the discounts and the 'free' games. With a Vita and a PS4, I do tend to play at least 3-4 Plus games a year, as well as swelling out my library so for me, it is worth it.

I don't think the $20 a year for Nintendo is extortionate but to be honest, the MP aspect interests me even less then my PS4 so without added fringe benefits, I probably won't bother. I would echo the sentiments that Nintendo do go out of their way to make things challenging for their consumers.

Ralizah

Super hyped for Metroid Prime 4 and the new Pokemon RPG!

Nintendo's E3 is going so much better than I expected.

Octane

@Ralizah You got any trailers for those games? I'd like to see them

Octane

Victor_Meldrew

Those northern English accents in Xenoblade Chronicles were pretty funny

Victor_Meldrew

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic