Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 521 to 540 of 7,480

Ralizah

@Octane It's not like people don't know what Pokemon and Metroid Prime entail. They're coming. That's enough for now.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Nei

I am kinda underwhelmed by Nintendo's Spotlight...it might be that we come from 2 days of eye-melting stuff but it all seems so dated. I am really hyped for the new 2d meteoroid though! And Prime 4 but all we got is a screenshot...that was so lame! And also : "Pokemon team is working on a Pokemon game for switch!" ...oh, you don't say! Here is another bomb: gran turismo 7 will have cars!

Edited on by Nei

Never belligerent but always uncompromising.

Ralizah

The more of SMO I see, the more I love it. This Mario game is so weird and creative!

Seems safe, conservative Nintendo is safely in the rear view mirror.

Nei

Ralizah wrote:

The more of SMO I see, the more I love it. This Mario game is so weird and creative!

Seems safe, conservative Nintendo is safely in the rear view mirror.

I love how weird it looks too.

Haruki_NLI

To those saying they didnt show much of substance that we wont see for years, I direct you to the much lauded Sony 2015 where we got the Last Guardian, brief CG for FFVII, and the launch of a funding campaign for Shenmue 3.

Here, we got announcement that Pokemon was funded and in development, about one year out, Metroid Prime 4 is funded and in active development, and Super Mario Odyssey is in October.

And whats sad? Prime 4 will still land before FFVII. And that one of the highlights wasnt asking for funding.

This was the holy trinity for Nintendo just as Sony had theirs.

Edited on by Haruki_NLI

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Gamer83

@BLP_Software
All true. Nintendo wins E3 this year, hands down. MS didn't impress nearly as much as I thought it would considering the Xbox One X was being shown off and I think the reason it failed to impress is because in the end, it's still an Xbox One just like the PS4 Pro is still a PS4 and it's going to be held back by the base model because the company is tethered to that userbase. MS signed some big third party marketing deals but Sony has some to counter that and none of the games these companies throw money at are exclusive anyway. Since MS didn't impress that much, I think it's obvious Sony decided to play it safe and basically recycled what we saw at their 2016 shows. Nintendo, despite having the shortest 'conference' actually had new, interesting announcements. If somebody isn't to Nintendo games, sure, it won't appeal but as somebody who just likes great games, Nintendo takes first in my book. It's not an A+ showing but it's a strong B, maybe even B+. Sony and MS were C, C- at best.

Gamer83

Haruki_NLI

@Gamer83 I think its some double standards to see CG for games that go MIA for years and a bloody crowdfunding campaign on the stage of Sony and the return of a seemingly dead property to be heralded as amazing, but this, with confirmed active development and a release just months away is "nothing".

Would it be better if they crowdfunded Prime 4 and decided Pokemon gets some CG and didnt arrive until 2020?

Nei

@BLP_Software Hey, this is not a competition but the comparison is not fitting in any any way.
We already knew about Super Mario Odyssey, it wasn't announced at this E3. That the Pokemon team is working on a Pokemon game is barely an announcement, and surely not a shocking one.The Metroid Prime announcement IS cool and I am super happy about it but the game has not reached that "mythical creature of dreams" status in gamers imagination as FF7 remake or Shenmue 3. Those games were the poster child for far-fetched fan fantasies never coming true. Something like it would be the announcement of Half Life 3 and the closest Nintendo equivalent would probably be a Mother 4 announcement.

Comparison aside, I felt that they didn't have much to show, especially for a console that is not getting a lot of the multi- platform offerings, and I noticed how VC wasn't even mentioned again. It must be said though that E3 is not the only occasion for announcements with Nintendo and they will have other digital reveals throughout the year but this presentation was extremely low key with just one big surprise announced in the most dry way possible.

Edited on by Nei

Ralizah

You're both right...

BLP is right that excitement over the Pokemon and Metroid Prime announcements are no more silly than the excitement surround FFVII:R, Shenmue, and The Last Guardian.

Feena is right that the Nintendo announcements just can't compare to the Playstation announcements. Metroid Prime 4 comes the closest, but it was just the resurrection of a fan-favorite series after years of being in stasis, not a wild dream project that nobody ever thought would happen. I do think Sony was kind of cheating by reaping the benefits of the excitement over Shenmue, though.

I can appreciate someone looking at Ninty's E3 and saying it was underwhelming. I thought Sony's E3 last year was underwhelming (outside of the Resi VII announcement, which, again, was kind of cheating, considering it's a multiplat), and people regularly talk about how amazing and mind-blowing it was. It all depends on what you got out of the games on display.

FOR ME, Super Mario Odyssey is easily a GOTY contender, and I thought the Metroid II remake looks awesome. Additionally, I thought Xenoblade, FE Warriors, and Mario+Rabbids looked really solid. Finally, Metroid Prime IV and a new Pokemon game on a device with the power of a home console are incredibly exciting. I thought it was a really good showing.

Nei

^I agree and wouldn't ever say that any kind of excitement is silly hahaha, it's the best part of following the industry and events like E3.

This was my Nintendo E3:

Super Mario Odyssey looks interesting and kind of an oddball ... I like that. At the same time there is something very Super Mario Bros movie/Sonic 06 in its aesthetic that I might need a bit more to digest but probably will contribute to make it more unique. I will probably get a Switch at the time this comes out.

Xenoblade 2 looks terrible imho: bad voice acting, dated graphics (way inferior to Xenoblade Chronicles), extremely tropey-looking characters. That trailer came strikingly close to a JRPG genre parody. FE Warriors is...another warrior game. But we knew about all these titles anyway.

New announcements: Kirby and Yoshi 2d platforms. Ok I guess, but I feel like we had 100 of those in the past years? I am sure they have their audience though. I refuse to acknowledge the Pokemon announcement as an announcement. It's a given. Microsoft is working on a new Halo. Square Enix and Atlus are working on JRPGS. We know. Show me how different/evolved it will be running on the new hardware and I might get excited. They didn't even have a title for this one...

Now, the Metroid titles news are really exciting! Super Metroid is my favourite game of all time and while I would have preferred sprites over 2,5D I am all over return of Samus. Psyched about Prime 4...I have been waiting for this announcement at every E3 for 3-4 years. It just seems strange they hadn't even the faintest glimpse of the game/concept art to show after all of this time.

What's up with the Virtual Console? The Switch is the absolute perfect fit for it and we don't know anything about it. It would totally make the console for a lot of people.

Edited on by Nei

Rudy_Manchego

@Feena Metriod Prime 4 was my best Nintendo E3 moment, even though it is clearly early days. Super Metroid was my favourite game of the 16bit gen, possibly of all time. I used to play it with my Dad and we'd spend ages exploring and scanning all areas.

I really want the VC for Switch so I can get this and other games (I don't own a 3DS).

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Octane

Feena wrote:

New announcements: Kirby and Yoshi 2d platforms. Ok I guess, but I feel like we had 100 of those in the past years? I am sure they have their audience though.

They didn't do much for me either. I know some people are glad to see ''traditional'' Kirby is back, but it looks too much like the Wii game to me. I like the experimental stuff more. I also played Woolly World on the Wii U, it was alright. It's a platformer, but nothing special, and this one seemed very similar. Neither were unique.

Octane

Gamer83

Most people I've talked to say Nintendo had the best show. Anecdotal evidence but I agree with those people. Super Mario Odyssey alone is better than anything that was in Sony's rehashed, Naughty Dog-clone filled presser or MS' press conference about 'more power.'

Gamer83

Gamer83

@KratosMD
God of War, Days Gone and Uncharted might as well all be the same thing. Sony used to have variety, looking at its first party now, outside of Japan Studio, they are turning all their games into clones of what ND does. The Mario games have the same basic formula but the games have all felt different enough. Kirby, Donkey Kong and Yoshi don't play the same, Zelda is Zelda. I'll take what Nintendo had on offer this E3 over all the upcoming Sony exclusives except The Last of Us Part II and Spider-Man. Those are the only two that standout because they don't look like the exact same game. Insomniac has its style, ND has its style and there's no copy and pasting. I'm not trying to make anybody agree with me and I'm assuming most here won't but as much as I like the ND style, I don't like that Bend, Santa Monica and other studios who used to have their own identities are now copying that. The new God of War does not look like God of War at all and Days Gone might as well be an expansion for The Last of Us.

Gamer83

Octane

Gamer83 wrote:

God of War, Days Gone and Uncharted might as well all be the same thing.

An action-adventure hack&slash game set in Norse mythology, an open-world survival horror game set in a post-apocalyptic world and an narrative-driven Indiana Jones-esque adventure game. But they're all the same.

Octane

Gamer83

@Octane
I'm talking from the gameplay perspective. All look the same to me. God of War certainly doesn't resemble the fast paced hack and slash it used to be.

Edited on by Gamer83

Gamer83

johncalmc

I don't think Nintendo "won" E3 at all. It was a smoke and mirrors Direct, and a fairly successful one. I was out of my chair excited as all hell when Metroid Prime 4 popped up on screen but it was two words and a number and nothing more. A Pokémon game is coming, too, as if that's a surprise to anyone. It was announcements of games coming in the far flung future to distract everybody from the fact that they have very little of any consequence coming any time soon.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Gamer83

Yeah, Splatoon 2, Super Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade, all coming this year is of very little consequence. LOL. And isn't it just a little hypocritical from the Sony side of things to be telling others they aren't allowed to get excited for something that is years away considering damn near every PS4 exclusive has been announced about two years prior, not to mention we have no idea when the hell FF VII or Shenmue will be released?

Gamer83

Haruki_NLI

1 Nintendo game a month...."drought". Youd be saying its a drought if it was 4 games from them in first party terms per month,

I'm with @Gamer83 on this, and it was mentioned in an article here too.

How the hell can you sit and say Nintendo was all smoke and mirrors when Sony has announced a damn kickstarter on their stage.

Haruki_NLI

@KratosMD From launch of the Switch right through to the holiday season this year, I meant. 2016 was bad yes. 2017 from March, has not. And if they show us whats coming in the future, then great.

But you cant say Nintendo was all bad because its "smoke and mirrors" without doing the same for Sony's 2015.

And wake up? How about you let me enjoy what the hell I want to enjoy huh?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic