Forums

Topic: Games you've recently beat

Posts 841 to 860 of 5,530

Th3solution

@Kidfried Oh yes, very true! I meant facial animations. The physical animations of running, crouching, jumping, and climbing are superb. I love how Aloy moves. She has the grace of a cat when she dives and rolls or climbs. I liked the climbing since it was pretty forgiving and if you just point in the right direction Aloy will climb, reach, or jump if it is a reachable ledge or handhold. I even like the little slo-mo “bullet-time” type of moment they put in when making a rather long or difficult jump from one handhold to another.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution @Kidfried I thought the soundtrack was awesome in HZD too, very dynamic in the way it changes tempo depending on what is happening.

Like you guys have mentioned the combat was very varied due to different tactics you could switch to on the fly. My favourite weapon was the one that (iirc) sonic booms the different parts of the enemies off. Found it pretty devastating against the harder enemies.

I thought Alloy's arc in the story was almost perfectly judged. I was surprised on how much the story grabbed me, especially towards the end.

The sign the sets a great game from just a good one I find is if you wanna continue playing after you have finished the story. Some games I find I can't wait till it is all over so I can move one to the next game. I couldn't get enough of HZD and ended up playing it for a few days after I'd finished it to mop up some of the side quests and combat challenges. Great game!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Agreed. Yeah, sometimes I want to just go right back to it after finishing a good game. But lately I have to just force myself to move on so I can experience different games and get on with the next one from the backlog. Another sign of a good game is that while playing it you get so engrossed that you forget to eat and have to set a hard time limit to go to bed or rest your eyes and speak to other human beings. That’s happening now with SotTR for me.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

ellsworth004

@Th3solution its a shame more people haven't played nier. One of my favorite games ever. When I talk to my friends about games not one of them have ever heard of it...well that is before I raved about how great it is.

On topic, HZD is a superb game. But as far as difficultly goes, I found a few parts kinda hard but not overly hard. I own the expansion but have not played it yet and I have heard it is challenging. Looking forward to a sequel, but probably not this gen.

ellsworth004

PSN: ellsworth004

Kidfried

I just beat Life is Strange Before the Storm. Even though Episode 3 maybe wasn't as good as the second one, I think the season as a whole was way stronger than I expected and, like I said somewhere on the forums before, even an improvement over the previous game.

Even though I cringed at the jokes and was annoyed by some inconsistent plot beats just as much as the last game.

That's fine, because emotionally I felt this game was so immersive that I could see past the shortcomings, and let the game take me along the ride. The role of the 'parents' in this story was thought out so well: from Chloe's mom to her deceased dad and David, but also of course Rachel's parents. Good stuff.

Kidfried

Thrillho

@ellsworth004 I tried the DLC but couldn't get into it. This was mainly because I went into it from the end-game but without having picked the game up in months and I just couldn't get back into it with the controls etc. I got absolutely wiped out by the first enemy in the new area and just struggled too much to enjoy it.

Thrillho

NecuVise

@Thrillho I have the same experience right now with Blood and Wine for the Witcher 3. I've beaten the base game and heart of stone back on Xbox one, and did a good part of blood and wine on it. So after a year I tried to go into blood and wine on ps4 but even on just the story difficulty I get destroyed by that bruxae at the beginning of the story. It's so sad as I wanted to complete it but just can't.

NecuVise

NecuVise

@beemo there is no lower difficulty than just the story I don't know, I've already given up, but maybe I'll give it another chance.

NecuVise

ApostateMage

@NecuVise Applying the quen sign (added armour/shield) a lot helps so much in The Witcher 3, especially when upgraded. The bubble shield that gives you health when hit by enemies was a godsend on Death March. It's that overpowered I actually stoped using it because I felt like I was cheating.

ApostateMage

Thrillho

@ellsworth004 HZD. Didn't know about Nier DLC.

@NecuVise I had the same problem with TW3 actually. I'd completed the game a long time before and before they introduced enemy scaling. When I came back for the DLC, it took a while to get used to the controls and (previously) low level wolves kept annihilating me.

Thrillho

NecuVise

@beemo I can't upgrade anything as I've just started the expansion. When you play goty version you have an option to go straight to either of expansions and that's what I did in this case so no option for upgrading any equipment. @ApostateMage I know, as I've already competed base game and heart of stone, but starting fresh in blood and wine after a year of not playing the game is very difficult.
@Thrillho well, the only. Problem is that blood and wine was meant for people who did base game and heart of stone an who are going in with their character into this expansion, but I'm starting fresh here. I remember that back on Xbox one I had no problems at all on normal difficulty but I was very familiar with the game and my Geralt had full Witcher gear.

NecuVise

Th3solution

@Thrillho @NecuVise This very issue was brought up in the reader mail section on a recent episode of the podcast “Sacred Symbols” (Colin Moriarty’s new PlayStation-centric podcast, which I highly recommend if you’re looking for one. It’s my favorite podcast now — subject matter is completely PlayStation and related things and very interesting and well put together) and the suggestion from the fan was that developers should put in a “get me back up to speed” type of mini-tutorial when DLC is released a significant time after the initial game came out. Most of us struggle with getting back into a game that we have had a break from and I often just give up if I try to go back after a long time and can’t quickly remember the controls, story, and other gameplay mechanics. Some games have tutorials in the menu that you can go back to at any time, but they aren’t always well designed for the specific scenario of “I once was good at this game, but I need a brief refresher to trigger my remote memories of how it works”. No Man’s Sky comes to mind for me, although not DLC, it has had the expansions and updates since I last played. I tried to restart after the NEXT update and was so intimidated by the complexity of the menus and I was so lost it seemed hardly worth the effort. I think if I ever go back to it I’ll start over from the beginning.
And I realize @NecuVise that your issue is more that you can’t port over your save progress to the PS4 version so you don’t have all the buffs needed to take on Blood & Wine, which is a slightly different thing that is harder to overcome, but it happens even in games where I still have my progress and level, but am rusty on how to play it.

Edited on by Th3solution

Thrillho

@Th3solution I don't know how it would work but it's a neat idea.

In a similar vein, I wish more games would do a recap when you load your game. The original MGS did it and most of the time I'd ignore it but now with massive open world games becoming more popular it would be great to have a reminder of what's happened and (more importantly) what you were supposed to be doing.

Thrillho

NecuVise

@Th3solution I'm not even sure that my old Geralt would help me here as I just feel lost and weak Maybe it would as I was very very powerful, level 40 or even higher and now I'm only level 34. Whatever the reason, I just can't complete Blood and Wine.

NecuVise

Th3solution

@Thrillho

Thrillho wrote:

In a similar vein, I wish more games would do a recap when you load your game. The original MGS did it and most of the time I'd ignore it but now with massive open world games becoming more popular it would be great to have a reminder of what's happened and (more importantly) what you were supposed to be doing.

Yes, this.
Although some games do a simple reminder of your current mission or objective, it’s not always enough context to really remember what to do or why.
It may say “Meet Joe on the Bridge” as your cue to progress the mission, but what if you can’t remember who Joe is? And which bridge? And why was I doing this?

On subject, the best mechanic I’ve seen recently for reminding you what your objective is in a game was Life is Strange: Before the Storm. The game was small and story driven so didn’t really need it, but pushing L2 (I think it was) would pull up Chloe’s left hand where she had jotted a note to herself on her hand as to what she was supposed to be doing. It fit the context of the game because part of the main gameplay was her using her marker to draw graffiti on things through the game.

Th3solution

@NecuVise I haven’t played TW3 yet, but I didn’t realize it was difficult. I have the Complete Ed if I ever get around to it, so I’ll have to remember that when I take on the B&W quests.

NecuVise

@Th3solution it's not difficult, but if you jump straight into blood and wine without playing the rest before it is difficult.

NecuVise

ellsworth004

@Thrillho nier dlc is pretty hard, did u ever come across any robots guarding a door and would not let u in? That's where access to the dlc arenas are. There is like 3 of them.

ellsworth004

PSN: ellsworth004

mookysam

Finished Steamworld Dig yesterday. A nice little game, if not a little overrated. I found the digging and collecting gems to be addictive and fun although slightly shallow. It apparently took me 9 hours, which was largely over the course of two evenings, and I guess indicative of how absorbed I actually was by it. Beyond digging and more digging there's not really much to it. I'd have liked more bespoke cave areas with specific platforming sections.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic