Forums

Topic: Games you've recently beat

Posts 821 to 840 of 5,490

andreoni79

Got the Platinum in Wolfenstein New Order.

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Agreed RE: Revengeance. It even sets everything up for a sequel, then nothing ever happened. Never say never, but I reckon we'd see a remaster first, to test the waters.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@KratosMD Thanks for tagging me with your thoughts!

Agreed, he's awesome for stealth; I had much the same experience. I'd never seen so many S-Ranks! I didn't have any problems with the final boss once I'd figured out the pattern (again, relying heavily on stealth) and was really impressed that they'd created somebody and something new, after the rinse-and-repeat elements featured throughout Sam's DLC.

It's great that they're free now. I paid for the Season Pass (also came with a bunch of extra VR Missions, which kept me quiet for a couple hours) and have no regrets. Totally worth it.

Cheers for talking about this recently, because I loved the replay you inspired me to undertake!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

ellsworth004

Finished uncharted 3, pretty fun game, may have to take a short break before I start 4.

ellsworth004

PSN: ellsworth004

JohnnyShoulder

@ellsworth004 I did the same after playing the trilogy. 18 months later it is still sealed...😅

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

JohnnyShoulder

@ellsworth004 Yeah that is why the second game did my head in a bit. The section on the train with the helicopter went on far too long for my liking.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

ellsworth004

@JohnnyShoulder I like hard games, I'm a huge fan of bloodborne, dark Souls, old school platformers, and alot of hard indie games. That said, I hate cheap deaths that are not my fault, you get alot of that with uncharted. Duck behind a rock, rpg nails you outta nowhere. But I like the story, puzzle sections, and some of the combat. And definitely like the characters, Nathan and sully are great.

ellsworth004

PSN: ellsworth004

mookysam

Completed Severed earlier. My thoughts on it have remained consistent. I really enjoyed the puzzle solving, atmosphere, story and presentation. Although there are a few friendly faces, the world is mostly devoid of other characters and this really feeds into the lonely atmosphere. The world is well designed with multiple upgrades to discover, usually through solving puzzles. In terms of battles, it's best to approach them like puzzles. This sounds odd, but once you start encountering large groups of enemies that have buffs, you can quickly become overwhelmed unless a logical approach is taken. The battle system itself is simple and tactile, requiring "slashes" on the screen with your finger. I almost got a blister! The player's own magical abilities and the various upgrades and skill trees add a lot of depth. Anyhoo, a great little game that really feels like a perfect fit for the Vita. It shouldn't be dismissed because of the control scheme.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

mookysam

Metal Gear Solid - This was my first time playing it and I think it holds up very well for a game of its age. Visually, it's obviously very dated, but I think the strong art design and clever texturing still looks nice. Scenes are also nicely directed with good motion capture. The sound particularly impressed me - especially the voice acting - which is very good across the board apart from the rather embarrassing rent-a-proverb Mei Ling. She has a saying for every ocassion it seems. I really love Snake's voice.

The melodramatic, over-the-top and at times maudlin script was a general highlight for me. I guess it's a turn-off for some people, but it makes Metal Gear Solid and the way it presents its story rather unique compared to almost every other game I've played. Enemies can battle to the death but moments later have a philosophical debate about the meaning of life. Good stuff. The wider theme, which I took to be an anti-nuclear message resonates as much as I'm guessing it did in 1998.

Gameplay generally felt good, although gun aiming is the weakest aspect by far and avoiding enemy fire is not easy. The fourth wall stuff made me laugh especially the bit where I assume a controller vibrates (I played on the Vita). One major annoyance I had was some backtracking back and forth near the end.

Anyhoo, looking forward to continuing with the series. I'd preferably play 2 and 3 on the Vita but for anyone here who has played them, what did you think of the controls and rear-touchpad usage?

Black Lives Matter

Kidfried

@mookysam Great impressions. I think you're spot on too with a few of the things that makes this game so good. Still good.

It's great that the MGS fanbase on here continues to grow, even now the MGS sage has ended.

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

@mookysam Good to know the game still hold up relatively well, I think some just assume they are unplayable or something these days probably due to how dated they are on a techincal level.

mookysam

@Kidfried It's always fun to get into new franchises. I've wanted to get into MGS for years now but it always seemed intimidating.

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah it's a shame that dated graphics are often equated with a game being unplayable. Often if the core design of a game was rock solid back then, it will still play reasonably well today. One of the biggest hindrances when it comes to old 3D games are things like poor camera and controls. Luckily apart from the aiming MGS didn't have those issues.

Black Lives Matter

RogerRoger

@mookysam The MGS HD Collection on PS Vita is perfectly fine, providing you don't mind touching and dragging the sides of the front screen to access items and weapons from your two inventory windows (the only clumsy element of an otherwise solid port). Obviously, the best version is the HD Collection on PS3, but if you don't have access to that console then the Vita will give you (more or less) the same experience. It certainly holds up well in the visuals department, and will seem like a huge leap forward coming right from the PSone game.

I'm so glad you enjoyed the experience as much as you did (especially after I kinda ordered you to; I'd have felt awful if you hated it) and agree with a lot of your thoughts; thanks for sharing!

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@mookysam @RogerRoger not to mention you can buy a digital version of the PS1 MGS game on the Vita too

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

mookysam

@RogerRoger Thanks. I bought it for the Vita. The touch screen stuff doesn't sound like it will bother me (hopefully) and I'll play it right away on there.

@FullbringIchigo PS1 games are nice on the Vita.

Black Lives Matter

Th3solution

I would feel remiss if I didn’t mention how much I enjoyed recently finishing Horizon Zero Dawn. I bought the game day 1 and played it for its opening weeks. I liked it quite a bit, but eventually about half way through I got sidetracked and it was left dormant for many months. I finally felt motivated to resume it and I have to say, the second half of the game is much better than the first. I was confused about the story in those beginning hours but once everything starts coming together towards the end, then it really starts to shine. I also feel the diversity of combat and gameplay options that become available later make it much more fun in the second half. The enemies become much more difficult and that final sequence of the game was quite the challenge. After finishing it, I really adore Aloy as a character. I liked her before, but so much more after the events at the end crystallize. A well deserved PlayStation icon. Such a great ending to the game and amazingly crafted setting and lore. It’s a game that has a memorable narrative that I’ll think about for weeks, with a lot of deep philosophical subjects that can be gleaned if one wishes to ponder it. Yet, it doesn’t preach to you or let the social commentary distract from the fact that it is, foremost, a game and it’s primary purpose is to entertain. I like it when games can achieve that balance.
These accolades aside, I would probably still not consider it my personal GotY for 2017, as I think NieR Automata did all those same things with captivating and immersive gameplay coupled with a deep ponderous narrative, but did it in ways that were even more interesting and non-traditional. Honestly, Horizon doesn’t reinvent the third person open world combat action RPG-lite genre in a large way, but to its credit, it brings new things to the table in the form of never before seen characters, a fictional world with an eerie prophetic feel, and a polished and smooth presentation.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Kidfried

@Th3solution You described perfectly how I felt about Horizon last year. It's great that it has a lot of thematic depth, but doesn't slap it in your face at all.

But most of all, I enjoyed combat in Horizon. It was different than other games and that's been understated way too much in my opinion. When you're fighting it actually feels like you're hunting wild animals, but it also really feels like you're fighting mechs.

Oh, and it's the best looking game as well (and sounds great too).

Kidfried

Th3solution

@Kidfried Yes, very true about the combat. Part of the reason that I loss a little bit of interest in the game initially was that I wasn’t doing the combat right. Early on you can get by just crouching in stealth and doing silent strikes and melee kills all day long on the early machines and human enemies. But only when I went back and started experimenting with all the different styles of weapons, traps, explosives, and elemental ammo, then did I feel the satisfaction of the diversity the game provides. And the enemies mid and late game (Glinthawks, Stormbirds, Thunderjaws, Snapmaws, and Stalkers) force you to approach them differently. You can’t just use one technique, or just try to melee them to death. Each one is a mini-puzzle on how to best approach them. Tying them down, light them on fire, freeze them, electrify them, override another machine to help you out, etc, etc. My favorite technique for some of the harder enemies was tying them down with the ropecaster, but then rather than run up to do a R1 strike which would usually free them, I would fire off a bunch of sticky bombs onto them ... then rather than only getting in one hit before they are freed, I could get about 4-5 bombs that would explode on them sequentially as they were getting out of the ropes. It was pretty much the only way I could bring down a Stormbird.

As far as how the game looks, I agree it looks fantastic, especially the environment and the artistic design is the best of any game I can think of. The costumes on NPCs were so intricately planned and detailed. I found myself just staring at the clothes and jewelry during a cut scene and admiring how they were able to make discarded old trash and machine parts look like beautiful armor, headdresses and necklaces, and all still feeling very “tribal” with the futuristic flotsam as the base materials. The character’s hair and makeup was so interesting as well. There are some really, really creative people over there at Guerrilla.
One criticism was the animations, however. The lip syncing, head bobbing, and darting eyes unfortunately caused some uncanny valley moments.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Kidfried

@Th3solution Facial animations weren't all that indeed, but then look how Ally crouches, interacts with the robots. That's great animation though.

Horizon gameplay in my view is a lot like playing Metal Gear Solid. Yes, you can get far by just doing silent strikes and melee until you beat the game. But the fun of the game comes from trying those different weapons and methods.

Kidfried

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic