Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 201 to 220 of 4,472

Tasuki

@crippyd: No worries. I get shows like that too. Heck Walking Dead and Game of Thrones is like that for me. You can always try it again at a later time.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

crippyd

@Tasuki totally agree with you on both those programs, thought they were a bit rubbish and can't see what all the fuss is about.

crippyd

Victor_Meldrew

Bakeoff? Boring. They cook up the same rubbish every year, 3 seasons was enough.
Binge watched Luke Cage yesterday. First two episodes are pretty meh but it really picks up after that, there's a lul around the middle and picks right back up again. Loved it but the whole mistaken identity/the hero is smelly bad guy is a little tiresome.

Victor_Meldrew

RR529

Since Netflix added it today, I watched the first episode of DC's Legends of Tomorrow season 1.

It has a unique flavor compared to the other "Arrowverse" shows, and I love how Captain Cold & his partner are part of the team (as they've traditionally been villains), so I have a feeling it's going to be a good time.

I'm going to hold off on Arrow & the Flash until I catch this up with them, so I can watch all three in tandem (I've watched the first 12 episodes of their newest seasons that Netflix has, and LoT spun off after their first 8 episodes, so I have to watch the first 5 episodes of LoT untill all 3 are lined up).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Speedy67

Actually quite enjoying The Apprentice. Better than Bake Off at least. Love that both teams were so incompetent that they both lost this week, that was quite amusing.

We all know the world needs Kentucky Fried Duck.
My website: https://stuffandthatreviews.wordpress.com/

PSN: Skymister01 | Twitter:

RR529

Finished up last year's seasons of the "Arrowverse" shows on Netflix (suprised myself that I was able to finish them off within the month).

Arrow season 4 - I actually liked it more than season 3 (a very unpopular opinion, I know). While I wasn't sure about the main villain at the start, I ended up liking the magical element, giving the show something that let's it stand up better against it's peers (though I still like the other two better). I also liked the return to the island for the flashbacks (I was excited about the 3rd season's flashback location at first, but it ended up never really appealing to me).

the Flash season 2 - I felt this show really nailed what I want to see from a superhero show, and this season was just as good as the first. It has action, can be serious when it wants to, is one of the only shows that manages to legitimately tug at my heart strings, but also remembers to be fun. Just a good time all around.

DC's Legend of Tomorrow season 1 - Take some of the heroes & villains from Arrow & the Flash, throw them into a blender with a little bit of Back to the Future & Star Trek, and this is what you get. It has a vastly different approach compared to it's peers, and it really pays off. I just loved the team's time jumping escapades, and it was a really good time. Would like to see a bit more cameos from the Flash next season, as this season they leaned a bit more towards the Arrow side of the spectrum.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Thesnipergecko

Has anybody seen Quarry yet?

It's my 2nd favorite show of the year after Stranger Things. Absolutely fantastic.

5960X (Haswell-E) | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | X99-S | GTX 980 | 32GB RAM | 5.5TB
4K TV (KS8000) | PS4 PRO | PS VR | XBOX-ONE S
SNES · PS1 · PS2 · PS3 · XBOX · GAMECUBE · DREAMCAST

PSN: Thesnipergecko | Twitter:

Speedy67

Up the Taskmaster!

RR529

Finished up Mischevious Kiss: Love in Tokyo: Volume 1 on Netflix today.

It's a campy Japanese romantic drama-comedy. While I didn't like it quite as much as Good Morning Call (the first similar series I watched), I did find myself enjoying it (more as it went on). Worth a look if you're interested in checking out live action Japanese television programming, or goofy camp in general.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

usb

The Flash series 3 just wow. First 2 episodes have been great. There are always consequences for our actions. Given up on Arrow after the last series. Legends of Tomorrow is ok but they put some of the worst characters from Flash in it so that puts me off.

The Exorcist has far exceeded my expectations and is the horror drama to beat at the moment nearly on par with Outcast. Looking forward to he Omen TV series next year could be another great drama.

Love the Bake Off one of my favourite TV shows but now Mel and Sue have gone along with Mary I will not be watching it any more.

Criminal Minds which is a show I normaly love have not got off to a good start with the new series. Hope it improves soon.

usb

PSN: noodledreamz

Victor_Meldrew

Flash is absolute trash, just a bunch of self righteous self pitying numpties. Still watching it though. DC legends is completely unwatchable. Still enjoying the Arrow, unimpressed so far this season.

Victor_Meldrew

Speedy67

@Bad-MuthaAdebisi: Agreed that it's trash! And bad trash! BAD! I don't like any of the DC shows, I think none of them are worth watching because they're complete and utter pieces of worthless claptrap.

On another note, I missed the last episode of Taskmaster! Disaster! BUT, I am thoroughly enjoying watching through Black Books for the first time.

RR529

Earlier today I finished up Mischevious Kiss: Love in Tokyo: Volume 2 on Netflix.

This one wasn't quite as good as the first, but if you liked it, you'll like this too. This one goes more into their early days in the workforce, and changes things up by shaking up the supporting cast, and doing more "special" episodes (a trip to Okinawa in one, and Kobe & the countryside in others).

Anyhow, next up for me is Roman Empire: Empire of Blood (Netflix Original).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Tasuki

The big Arrowverse crossover starts tonight with Supergirl!!! I can't wait for it. I will probably watch it all this weekend on Hulu so that way I can watch them one after another.

My Backlog

usb

Gave up on Legends of Tomorrow its an ok show which had i watched it weekly on TV I would have enjoyed but got it on Bluray and watching just a few episodes in a row I find myself doing something else while it is on.

Modus is good being shown on BBC4 on satrday nights.

Supergirl is having a strong 2nd season and Flash is moving along nicely. I enjoyed the french drama the Returned but kind of wished they had ended it after one season rather than going into season 2. Did not end up watching the 2nd season.

usb

PSN: noodledreamz

Tasuki

KratosMD wrote:

@Tasuki: As a person who's getting caught up with all the DC shows, it's going to be really confusing for me later on to know which show to watch first because of that. I mean, isn't the crossover across Supergirl, Flash, Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow?

Yep and that's the order to to watch them in.

My Backlog

RR529

Finished up Roman Empire: Reign of Blood (Netflix Original).

Make no mistake, this isn't the next Spartacus, Game of Thrones, or Marco Polo, so if you're looking for a sword & sandal epic, look elsewhere.

Rather, it's a documentary about the rule of Roman emperor Commodus, and while it does devote a lot of screen time to dramatic reinactment which may resemble your standard sword & sandal show, there's a few times each episode where historians will chime in on why so & so did this or that.

The main reinactment bulk of the show won't win any awards, but it was produced well enough that it kept my interest & did it's job in framing the various figures' actions (these also included relatively common nude/sex scenes, which I assume were a misplaced attempt to draw in the Spartacus crowd, but in turn will probably keep it from being shown in most educational situations). The sections where the historians were talking were often recorded over random shots of Rome & it's people, some of which didn't even look HD (like they were lifted from a past program, though most were HD quality), expect to see the same shot of the Senate building 2-3 times per episode, lol.

It's not must watch, but if it all sounds interesting to you give it a try (it's only 6 episodes long).

Next up for me is Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories (Netflix Original), and while I'm only a few episodes in, it looks like it's going to be a real gem.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Finished up Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories (Netflix Original), which is a live action Japanese program, and it's quite the hidden gem, so go watch it.

It centers around a warm overnight diner tucked away in the crowded side streets of Akihabara, and while there are a few regulars (such as the eatery's patron, who's simply referred to as "Master"), each episode is actually it's own self contained story focusing on whatever customer(s) happen to wander in during that episode, and there's always some dish that resonates with them (across the various episodes there's an ageing comedian jealous of his student's success, a grocery shop owner facing a midlife crisis, a romance between a Japanese man & a Korean woman & the troubles they face, a gambler who has to raise his young son, and more). The show just has a really cool vibe, and made me feel a variety of emotions across it's various tales.

Oh, and there was even a Dreamcast sighting in episode 7, lol. Even though the character that had been playing it was depicted as a bum...

Next up for me is the Crown (Netflix Original), which is a biography of Queen Elizabeth II.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Finished up the Crown (Netflix Original) faster than anticipated.

As mentioned before, it's a biography of the early years of Queen Elizabeth II's rule, and ultimately the internal battle between oneself & the position they represent. It's not something I would have sought out on my own, but I saw my parents watching it, and enchanted at it's quality, I decided to check it out myself.

The filmmaking & acting of each episode is movie quality (seriously the best I've seen from a Netflix Original, on a technical level), and I never tired of the beautifil British countryside, the ornate pageantry of the royal ceremonies, and the period vehicles. Lithgow was so great as Churchill that I could watch a series just about him, lol. Seriously though, some high quality stuff.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic