Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 221 to 240 of 4,400

RR529

Finished watching My Little Lover on Netflix the other day. It's another live action Japanese romantic dramedy that sees a high school girl magically shrinking down (in reference to a Japanese folktale) after running away from home, and she's taken in by her next door neighbor until she can find a way to reverse the situation (and of course, though the two were childhood friends, they've drifted apart, and the situation gives them the chance they need to become close again).

The general storyline isn't that far removed from the other shows of it's type I've watched, but I still find the formula charming, and it's unique hook helps it to stand out. Furthermore, it's shorter episode count keeps it from getting long in the tooth, the love interest has the best reason to remain aloof out of the shows I've watched, and it has by far the most satisfying ending of the bunch (Oh, and I also got a kick out of how it referenced Mischevious Kiss: Love in Tokyo, the last of these shows I watched, most heavily in episode 8).

Next up is the MythBusters spiritual successor, White Rabbit Project (Netflix Original). I've only seen the first two episodes so far, but it's been a delight so far. Oh, my bro & I are also going through season 2 of Fuller House (Netflix Original) together, and I think we're about halfway through.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Speedy67

Have started watching King of the Hill in the last few days. It has really solid characters, a quality setting and great comedy writing, being kinda surreal but at the same time very realistic.

Otherwise, still watching through Black Books, I have 3 episodes left of series 3, and Moo-Ma and Moo-Pa (the last one I watched) was one of the best episodes.

If anime counts, I've been watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood until episode 16 and still going. It's awesome.

We all know the world needs Kentucky Fried Duck.
My website: https://stuffandthatreviews.wordpress.com/

PSN: Skymister01 | Twitter:

Rudy_Manchego

@Speedy67: My kids call my their grand parents Moo ma and Moo Pa after Black Books!

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

RR529

White Rabbit Project (Netflix Original) - Fun science show starring Mythbuster's "B" team of Grant, Kari, & Tori. It has it's own identity, but the vibe is similar enough that if you liked Mythbusters, you'll probably like this too.

CNN's the Eighties (Netflix) - Decent 8 part documentary about the era. It's a pretty good watch if you find such things interesting (especially from an American perspective).

Fuller House (Netflix Original) season 2 - Just as much cheesy nostalgia as the first season, but that's the main reason for this show's existence, so that's okay.

Tokyo Trial (Netflix) - 4 part mini-series docu-drama about the tribunal in Tokyo after WWII to see if the military officials were guilty of war crimes. It's mostly from the perspective of the Norwegian justice, and I thought it was quite good.

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (Netflix Original) - Based on the book series of the same name. It's a bit more silly than I remember the books being (though I read them as a kid), but overall I thought they did a great job capturing the vibe of the series (especially in the costuming & set design). I'm sure there are things they had to cut as with any adaptation, but as each book is covered in 2 episodes (roughly 40-50 mins long each), I imagine it's better paced than the movie, which crammed the first 3 books into one movie. This season is 8 episodes long, covering the first 4 books.

This is what I've watched since my last post.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

CrazyHead (Netflix Original) - British series about two women in their 20's who spend their nights hunting demons. It's a drama, but it also has a lot of dark/crass humor. I didn't much care for it, TBH. I guess it's okay for what it is maybe, but I'm not big on the theme, and the humor wasn't to my liking at all.

Call Me Francis (Netflix Original) - South American drama about the life of the current Pope, and the events that shaped his character. I'm not a Catholic (and had no knowledge of Argentine history going into it), so I probably didn't get everything, but overall I thought it was pretty interesting (it's only 4 episodes, so not a time demanding watch). I had no idea how terrifying a place Argentina was in the 70's. Some of the stuff their military did was abslutely shocking.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

BAMozzy

I have just seen that Halo is on Sony!

I am referring to Halo 4: Forward unto Dawn and the Sony Movie Channel (on Sky)

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Speedy67

Started watching Better Call Saul. Having not watched Breaking Bad, even, I'm really enjoying it!

We all know the world needs Kentucky Fried Duck.
My website: https://stuffandthatreviews.wordpress.com/

PSN: Skymister01 | Twitter:

kyleforrester87

Anyone into 24? Its nonsense but i love it. Watching 24 Legacy now, it's suprisingly good.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

crippyd

@kyleforrester87 I've got all the series on DVD/Blu ray upto the last Keifer Sutherland one but I've not seen the new one. Is it on Sky 1? I remember one of my mates lending me the first two series and my wife and I watched both series over the course of about 3 weekends (back when we didn't have kids), it has slipped a little on quality but it is still an entertaining watch.

crippyd

kyleforrester87

@crippyd I've got all the original seasons on DVD, the last one with Keifer was Live another day but that wasn't very good. The new one is on Fox though, I'm watching it on Now TV, first episode premiered last night and it was suprisingly good! Would recommend watching it on Catchup if you have a Now TV sub.

kyleforrester87

crippyd

@kyleforrester87 I've got Virgin so it'll most likely have Fox catch up on there somewhere or they'll repeat the episode, I'll get my wife to set a series link for it. The last Keifer one was the London 12 part wasn't it? I've even got the film, which was a bit rubbish, although it looks like, if the writers hadn't gone on strike, it would have been a good series.

crippyd

kyleforrester87

@crippyd Yeah the film wasn't the best but it was an okay watch. Yep the last one was the London 12 parter. I didn't finish it actually, just didn't like it. As I said though the new Jackless episode last night was pretty good. It's only 12 hours as well, kinda defeats the point of calling it 24 if you ask me but to be honest the later series all tended to be divided into two 12 hour "stories".

kyleforrester87

Tasuki

So I now have a new guilty pleasure tv wise in the show Riverdale. Not sure if anyone else is watching this but I am really enjoying it. I really like for the most part the direction they are taking the Archie I.P.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

AlexStinton

@Tasuki I will freely admit that I eagerly await the arrival of each new episode of Riverdale. I normally wouldn't watch this sort of show but for some reason I'm really enjoying it.

Push Square reviewer

PSN: Aphex666 | Twitter:

Tasuki

@AlexStinton Same here. I am not big on the whole teen drama shows but I just can't stop.watching it. Maybe it helps that I did grow up with the Archie comics or maybe cause it's done by the people that do Arrow, Flash, Supergirl and Legends but for this type of show it is really well written and keeps you coming back for more.

My Backlog

Tasuki

Finally got a chance to sit down and watch thhe newest show in Dick Wolf's Chicago series, Chicago Justice. Just like how Chicago Fire, Chicago PD and Chicago Med deals with their perspective fields Chicago Justice does good showing off the legal side of things. It's done by the same guy, Dick Wolf known for the Law and Order series and even takes place in the same universe. I really liked the twist where in this series the ADA of Chicago is the son of the original ADA of Law and Order. If you like stuff like Law and Order then you'd probably like this show as well.

My Backlog

mookysam

Been watching a mixture of things. I finally got round to watching the first series of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. It's hilarious!
Watching the Walking Dead on Now TV and it's quite hard watching it weekly as until now I've always watched the episodes in on go on Blu Ray. The first episode of the current series really upset me. Also up to date with the new 24 on Now TV. It's completely predictable with plot twists visible a mile off, and the new characters aren't as good as Bauer and co. but it's nice, easy viewing and very watchable. Not sure what to watch while I wait for new episodes. Man in the High Castle s2 maybe?

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

mookysam

@KratosMD Aside from a few episodes I think this season has been mediocre. It feels fragmented with too much filler.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

F-racsO

@KratosMD @mookysam I couldn't agree more with you guys. If it wasn't for Negan, I would have stopped watching this show a long time ago. In my opinion, the best episodes of the current season are those that don't involve Rick and co.

F-racsO

PSN: F_racsO

euant

Anybody started watching Iron Fist since it came out yesterday on Netflix? I watched the first episode last night, and wasn't greatly impressed. It might improve as the season progresses, but the first episode didn't wow me at all compared to Daredevil/Jessica Jones/Luke Cage.

euant

Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic