Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 181 to 200 of 4,448

Wazeddie22

Like alot of you I watched Stranger Things over 3 nights..absolutely loved that show!
Watched all the Marvel Netflix shows and so far Jessica Jones is by far the best but loved The Punisher in Daredevil season 2..can't wait for him to get his own show.
So obviously like @RR529 I am eagerly awaiting Luke Cage

Other shows I am watching are The 100,Bloodline,It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia,The Strain,Ice Road Truckers,Ray Donavon,Scream,Containment.
A few others but my mind has gone blank.
Not a bake off person myself more of an Australian Masterchef person...Shame it drags on for months though..

Wazeddie22

PSN: Inherentdragon

RR529

Finished up season 1 of Supergirl last week, BTW.

Like I mentioned before, it has it's issues (mostly the fact that I think capturing the escapades of a hero of this calibur is a bit too much for the budget of a 20 something episode network TV show to handle), but overall is was still a fun time.

Now Netflix is going to pile on the shows with no remorse. Luke Cage on Friday, new seasons of Arrow & Flash next week, and DC's Legends of Tomorrow the week after that. Also they added a Japanese TV romantic comedy called Mischevious Kiss (don't judge, I actually liked the last show of this type I watched, lol) recently. How am I going to find the time to watch it all!?!

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Rudy_Manchego

Looking forward to Luke Cage - so far I don't think Netflix and Marvel have put a foot wrong. Jessica Jones was a pretty out there show for Marvel and it worked perfectly.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

RR529

@KratosMD, I should note that I'm talking about last year's episodes when it comes to the CW superhero shows.

Netflix is a year behind when it comes to network shows, so it's Arrow season 4, Flash season 2, and LoT season 1 (Netflix is where I watch them though, so they'll be new to me). I'm sure the genuinely new seasons will start around the same time on the CW, though (I think Supergirl season 2 starts Oct. 10, for example).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Yeah, Luke Cage has been great. I love how they're not holding back with him, having him just tear through anything in his way (in comparison, Jessica didn't get many opportunities to go all out). I've also really never watched anything so steeped in black culture, so the vibe is really new to me (I especially liked the segments at the barber shop). So far I've watched the first 6 episodes, though I won't be able to watch another until Sunday night, probably.

In terms of references to the other Netflix MCU shows: Claire, the nurse who often finds herself intertwined with Daredevil's exploits, and who also showed up in Jessica Jones, has involved herself here as well, and even discussed in detail the Hand's attack on the hospital in Daredevil S2. On the radio there was a Trish Talk segment regarding Luke's heroics, the radio show hosted by Jessica Jones' adoptive sister. There was even a mention of Fisk's arrest, after they got Cottonmouth. One of the low ranking gangsters also mentioned that he was leaving for Hell's Kitchen, which was safer.

In terms of references to the greater MCU: Mentions of the events of the Avengers are on the uptick in comparison to the other Netflix shows, probably because Luke is becoming more public in the use of his powers. The guns Cottonmouth are dealing are Hammer tech, the company of Tony Stark's business rival in Iron Man 2 who tried using that Russian guy to build him Iron Man suits. Also, Cottonmouth tried to get his hands on a new Hammer prototype bullet developed with alien tech acquired after the Avengers, that he believes can hurt Luke.

Oh yeah, and Zelda (the series) exists in the MCU, lol. In episode 5, at around the 5 minute mark, when Cottonmouth is holding a meeting, the gangster sitting in the middle of the couch has a shirt that's decorated with the Hyrulean Crest. I doubt they did that on purpose, but it was still neat to see.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Speedy67

Taskmaster tonight! That's where it's at. Apparently new Red Dwarf is great as well. Aside from new stuff, I recently watched through Spaced for the first time, and before that watched through The Mighty Boosh - now I'm on to Black Books. They are all genius.

We all know the world needs Kentucky Fried Duck.
My website: https://stuffandthatreviews.wordpress.com/

PSN: Skymister01 | Twitter:

RR529

Finished up Marvel's Luke Cage (Netflix Original) today!

It was a very solid show, which I'd say I enjoyed more than season 2 of Daredevil. While the novelty of an edgy MCU series has kind of worn off after Daredevil & Jessica Jones, Luke Cage's roots in black culture give it a unique vibe no other MCU property has, which helps it to stand out, IMO (and is often quite topical in light of recent events).

While still feeling very alternative to the usual MCU fare, Cage's exploits are the most "super" yet in terms of the Netflix series', which I personally enjoyed a lot. This is enhanced by the deeper connections to the other Netflix series & general MCU Luke Cage has in comparison to what's come before. I'd also say it has my favorite villain out of all the Netflix series. While he's not as vile as the baddie from Jessica Jones, he's very meticulous yet just unhinged enough that you never quite know who he's going to kill next, and he provides the absolute best climactic final battle of any of the Netflix MCU shows.

Also, In the last episode, Claire picked off the phone number from a martial arts flier, so there we have her connection to the Iron Fist, which will be the next hero to get a Netflix series.

As it happens, they got season 2 of the Flash in today, so that's what I'll be watching next (alongside Arrow season 4, which is coming in tomorrow).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

@Tasuki, that'll be next year for me, but I hope you enjoy it.

Anyhow, I watched the first 2 episodes of season 2 tonight, and so far the show is just as fun as it was last season. Can't wait to get further into it.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Tasuki

@RR529: Oh, I didn't realize you were a season behind, I thought you were just watching it to refresh your memory. Kinda sucks have to wait a whole year. Hope you enjoy season 2.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

crippyd

@Tasuki @RR529 Season 3 of Flash starts either this month or next in the UK so I'm hyped for that. I'm really not sure about Luke Cage, it feels very similar to Jessica Jones (which I thought was disappointing) and I've watched 2 episodes so far and it's only been the last 10 minutes of the episodes that's been exciting, the rest of it just feels like filler. Would you guys advise sticking with it, is there more action in the later episodes?

crippyd

johncalmc

So what about that Louis Theroux documentary on Jimmy Savile then? Cripes.

johncalmc

Twitter:

usb

The Flash....returns looking forward to that also Supergirl as well got stronger as the series went on. I have said my good byes to Arrow could not even get through the last series really dragged for me.
Westworld will start watching that this week got very high expectations for this series
Dark Matter and Killjoys renewed another good reason to celebrate
Hunters was a big dissapointment not sad it go cancelled
Wolf Creek was a great series on the final episode now.

Edited on by usb

usb

PSN: noodledreamz

crippyd

@johncalmc My wife and I watched that last night and it was heavy going, how that guy got away with what he did for so long and how he manipulated so many people.... It was an eye opener to say the least.

crippyd

johncalmc

@crippyd: It was pretty grim viewing, but I guess everyone is an expert in hindsight, right? Like, when I was watching it I was thinking it was incredible that nobody came forward about his crimes, but then watching it you could kinda see how his creepy old man banter could just be brushed off as harmless. Either way, shocking watch.

johncalmc

Twitter:

crippyd

@KratosMD Thanks for that, it really does seem like a copy of Jessica Jones, as for me, that didn't get going until the third episode. I will give it another try as I really love the Marvel movies, the TV stuff is just lack luster in my opinion.

@johncalmc Yeah, I agree about the hindsight. He was really disgusting to watch, he pretty much was just sexually harassing all the women he encountered and being such a complete perv. I used to enjoy watching Jim'll Fix It as a kid and Top of the Pops and the other shows he was on in the '80s and '90s and I wouldn't have had him down as a weirdo (although as a kid, I wasn't really aware of those kind of things).

crippyd

Tasuki

@crippyd: Yeah stick with it man. I had a hard time getting through the first 5 or so episodes after that the action picks up big time.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

crippyd

@Tasuki I watched ep 3 last night and it really isn't doing it for me. You really shouldn't have to watch half the series for it to get good. I think it's getting binned as it just isn't lighting my fire and my wife and I have so much other stuff that we could be watching.

crippyd

Speedy67

@Quintumply: It's quickly becoming one of mine now, and I've only got to Episode 4!

We all know the world needs Kentucky Fried Duck.
My website: https://stuffandthatreviews.wordpress.com/

PSN: Skymister01 | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic