Forums

Topic: The Push Square Football (Soccer) Thread

Posts 661 to 680 of 2,383

KALofKRYPTON

I'm not a football fan, but used to keep abreast of things for work reasons and it's a massive part of my home city's identity. There's certainly no escaping the news and views and general sentiment surrounding the game this last season.

So, here being as good as anywhere to note - I'm so very pleased with how Wolves are doing!

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

JohnnyShoulder

@KALofKRYPTON Yeah Wolves have done really well season and i think they will do as good as Newcastle this season.

They have money to spend and more importantly it looks like they will spend it wisely on the correct players for the squad.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

JohnnyShoulder

@WanderingBullet Roma are probably the team i didn't want to face the most. May not have the CL pedigree as the other two but the way they knocked out Barca made me a bit more wary of em.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

WanderingBullet

Salah to win the Ballon d'Or? This guy is definitely giving Ronaldo and Messi a run for their money. To think that he was surplus to requirements when he was at Chelsea.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

Fight_Teza_Fight

@WanderingBullet Deserving? Yes, but I doubt it. Even though imo Messi & Ronaldo are best in the world the Ballon d’or/FIFA World POTY is a popularity contest.
Those two have so much more pull than anyone else that I can’t see anyone bar Neymar break the duopoly.

It’s also a World Cup year. If Messi wins the WC, Ronaldo could score 10 in the Champions League final & he still wouldn’t win it.

Edited on by Fight_Teza_Fight

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

WanderingBullet

@Fight_Teza_Fight Messi & Ronaldo - both of them are my favourite players too. Sure, it's a popularity contest but at the same time they were probably the only two players deserving of the award for the past 10 years.

Gremio108

I'd love to know what Roma's plan was to deal with Salah last night, because it didn't work amazingly well. They need to have a little chat about that man if they want to get through

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

usb

Salah is no doubt a good player but he needs to do what hes doing now season after season. At his previous club he was seen as wasteful. Lots of players have a great season but then players and defences learn how to play against them. A lot of the defences in the premiere league will not make the same mistakes as they did this year.

usb

PSN: noodledreamz

dellyrascal

Wasnt rocket science for Roma, play three at the back against a front three and you are always going to run the risk of getting caught, especially with a slow central midfield in front, giving hardly any protection. That along with the wingbacks pushing too far, left them open for punishment

It wasnt til they made the subs in the second half and rejigged the formation, that they looked a decent side.. The manager got it very wrong...

I stood there chattering in excitement, like a necrophile at a bus crash....

Twitter:

BAMozzy

@dellyrascal I think the 2nd half was more of the same - it wasn't until Salah went off that LFC went to sleep and allowed Roma time. At that point they were 5-0 up and were perhaps settling for that...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

JohnnyShoulder

Well that game was epic last night! For 80 or so mins that has to be one of the best Champers League performances I've seen.

Salah scored a Ronaldo type goal then a Messi type goal. That man is a beast. Best Liverpool player since Suarez minus the biting lol.

Shame about conceding the 2 late goals, but i have every confidence Liverpool will score at the Stadico Olimpico.

get2sammyb

I couldn't believe the way Roma set up, it's like they hadn't watched any footage of Liverpool at all. Even when they were on top in the first 20 minutes or so, you could see exactly what was going to happen. And then they did nothing to change it.

I'm genuinely terrified Liverpool might win this thing now.

Only one man can save us...

Untitled

JohnnyShoulder

Half time and Liverpool are 2-1. Game over. Hope that doesn't come back to bite me on the backside lol.

Still can't get my head around how Bayern Munich didn't go through, they were the much better side on both legs.

Gremio108

@JohnnyShoulder When your most dangerous player is James Milner AND he doesn't even play for you, you're in trouble. That was the situation Roma found themselves in during that first half.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

BAMozzy

@JohnnyShoulder I hope so too. I know people will be thinking that LFC are favourites - top scorers in the competition and blown away teams too but Madrid are the holders (and for the past 2 seasons as well) so they must still be favourites BUT LFC have the firepower to stop them making it 3 in a row and shouldn't 'fear' Madrid based on this season's performances from them...

I wonder if the CL final could influence the Ballon d'Or - Ronaldo or Salah... Neither are expected to win the World Cup with their respective countries and Messi is currently the top scorer in European Leagues so you can't write him off either...

Edited on by BAMozzy

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

PS_Nation

Real Madrid and Liverpool will be a great final. Come on Europeans, will you let Real Madrid win ANOTHER Champions League?

Real Madrid - 12 titles
AC Milan - 7 titles
Bayern Munchen, Liverpool and Barcelona - 5 titles

It's a huge difference. Get your stick together guys -.-

PS_Nation

PS_Nation

Liverpool's defense will have trouble against Real Madrid. Anyway, it's one match only, anything can happen.

Edited on by PS_Nation

PS_Nation

WanderingBullet

@get2sammyb Haha, I'm rooting for Real Madrid and of cause Ronnie to stop Liverpool from winning the UCL too.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

ApostateMage

Why on earth anybody (who isn't a manc or Madrid supporter) would want those horrible dirty diving cheating Spanish cnuts to win it is beyond me.

ApostateMage

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic