Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 3,521 to 3,540 of 8,145

nessisonett

@LN78 I actually feel the opposite about the BBC one, I wasn’t a big fan of the first episode but felt it got a lot more interesting later on, even if the 3rd episode was pretty odd. The 2nd episode was absolutely brilliant though, basically a mini horror movie in its own right. I’ll probably watch Shadow of the Vampire sooner rather than later and might try to watch more Dracula/Orlok movies so that I can properly rank the ones I’ve seen.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

ralphdibny

@Th3solution I definitely agree that a lot of movies should be shown on the big screen first, in the UK we have this chain of cinemas called Cineworld and they (I'm generalising here, there are some good cineworlds) are absolutely awful. But the problem is they are quite cheap, you pay £18 a month for unlimited movies, couple that with a meerkat movie membership 2 for 1 (you get this from buying insurance but you can normally buy travel insurance for a quid and claim the membership for a year) and it works out better value than paying for seeing each movie individually. Unfortunately I've been in countless films where the 3d hasn't been calibrated properly (means a visit to a clueless usher to get them to find someone to fix it and missing more minutes of a film that I can't see anyway) or where the sounds been out of sync. Anyway that turned into a bit of a pointless rant.

What I wanted to say, was yeah cinemas are gross! Chewing gum under the seats, thrown popcorn, kids hocking bits of paper through their straws and (at my age) I don't even want to know what's going on in the back row!

See ya!

nessisonett

@ralphdibny Fun fact time, my Cineworld is actually the tallest cinema in the world! And it has a glass elevator which makes me want to barf. The cinema itself isn’t awful but it’s pretty gross, I’d much rather go to the GFT, my local indie cinema and a beautiful building that’s been around since 1939.

ralphdibny

@nessisonett that elevator sounds pretty gnarly, though I'm sure the novelty would wear off

I sort of read that as barfing because it's a cheesy Charlie and the chocolate factory feature to have but I'm guessing now you mean it makes you barf because it moves you fast and high while you can see everything?

See ya!

nessisonett

@ralphdibny Yeah, I’m not great with heights so shooting up into the stratosphere while in a small glass box is not my idea of fun. Beats any rollercoaster though.

BlAcK_Sw0rDsMaN

@Th3solution Have you ever seen the video for Breakout by Foo Fighters? Worse things can happen in a movie theater...

"I think the best art doesn’t preach the truth, but encourages viewers to discover what truth is on their own." - Shinique Smith

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Th3solution

@Draco_V_Ecliptic No, I haven’t seen that before but I had a quick look on YouTube. Yeah, can’t say I’ve ever had those kinds of things happen at the movies.

...And I’ve never understood why music videos often have little to nothing to do with the actual song. 😂

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

ralphdibny

@Th3solution @Draco_V_Ecliptic foo fighters videos used to be great, really funny parodies, not sure how relevant they were to the songs which were also great but the videos were top notch

See ya!

BlAcK_Sw0rDsMaN

@ralphdibny Did you hear Dave Grohl's album 'Play? I thought it was great.

"I think the best art doesn’t preach the truth, but encourages viewers to discover what truth is on their own." - Shinique Smith

ralphdibny

@Draco_V_Ecliptic nah I never knew about that, I will check it out somewhere. I kind of fell out of the loop with foo fighters like most music but I haven't had the urge to go and pick up their more recent albums yet (the last foo I got I think was called echos silence patience and grace). I've picked up alot of the more recent qotsa and muse albums and I'm quite in to the prodigy and rap group outsidaz at the moment

See ya!

BlAcK_Sw0rDsMaN

@ralphdibny I loved QOTSA's Songs For The Deaf and Josh Homme's other band Them Crooked Vultures but I have heard little to no recent material by QOTSA. I love The Prodigy's earlier material, but I don't know what a 'definitive' album to buy by them would be? I'll check out Outsidaz.

ralphdibny

@Draco_V_Ecliptic for prodigy, probably their law the singles, as it has all the best songs on it to be honest and invaders must die which came out not long after the singles collection

Yeah Josh hommes projects do seem to end up being good (for me at least, I know it's an acquired taste) and that sort of group of musicians do seem to chop and change and share their members a bit in those days, the foo fighters, qotsa, them crooked vultures, eagles of death metal and tenacious D, even the strokes' Julian Casablancas featured on a qotsa song though I doubt anyone would notice unless they read the album notes

Outsidaz is a group that I believe Eminem got his start with, as such, they sound a lot like early Eminem! Infinite/slim shady LP era kind of sounds. Or at least I should say that early Eminem sounds a lot like outsidaz lol

See ya!

BlAcK_Sw0rDsMaN

@ralphdibny I thought Eminem got his start with D-12? Or did they change their name? Is it the same group?

ralphdibny

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I'm not sure of the time line exactly but I think there were some crossover members, various outsidaz and the group itself get shout outs on the slim shady LP too if I remember correctly

See ya!

nessisonett

I watched Cosmopolis, starring Robert Pattinson and written/produced/directed by David Cronenberg. I really enjoyed it, Cronenberg’s direction was cold and aloof, which gave it an interesting tone given that it’s not a horror movie like his normal fare. Pattinson’s performance makes me really look forward to his Bruce Wayne, he embodies the 1% while giving off a nervous energy lurking beneath his stony exterior. It was interesting seeing that it wasn’t received all that well at the time, I understand its sterile approach won’t gel with everyone but I personally loved it.

@RogerRoger Congrats on finishing Phase One! It was interesting for me looking back on them because I personally think the later movies blow them out the water but there’s a certain level of wonder to still be had from them, especially since I went to see them all on the big screen. It’s crazy thinking I was 7 years old when Iron Man came out and then when everything wrapped up with Endgame, I was a student! I really did grow up with those movies so I’ll always have a soft spot for the older ones but you’re in for a treat as the universe expands in Phase Two.

Th3solution

@nessisonett @RogerRoger Agree on the overall improvement of the MCU over time. Sure there are a few exceptions, but the first Captain America and Thor are quite ‘ho-hum’ in comparison to the latter outings. The humor really ramps up as well after Guardians of the Galaxy, which makes each much more fun.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@RogerRoger It’s true that The First Avenger has a unique period setting and a very strong villain. I also like the Steve Rogers virtuous hero as well, and the ‘heart over brawn’ sits well with me too. The film, with the establishment of the super soldier project and the Hydra, is key to the whole MCU series, so I’m glad you enjoyed it. For me it just dragged a little due to the excessive exposition of the new universe, as early entries in long series often do. As you go though you’ll find that the action and flair really ramp up more and I’ll be really interested to see if that is a positive or a negative in your book.

Th3solution

@LN78 Actually I think I did see The Rocketeer a long time ago. But I don’t remember much about it, neither good nor bad. I might have to try a re-watch one day when it becomes available to do so.

Vahla_Hanesh

@RogerRoger Glad to hear you're enjoying Coulson! I'm a massive fan of Agents of Shield, and Coulson to me is the heart and soul of the show.
I did a rewatch of the MCU just at the end of last year and there's three that stand out way above the rest for me - Captain America: Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, and Avengers: Infinity War. The first for being a well paced thriller with natural looking action scenes. The car chase with Fury in particular, and Guardians 2 and Infinity War have the most emotional impact for me.
Also "we will deep dry your kebab" cracks me up everytime, more so because of the framing of the shot. It almost has more focus than Wanda does.

Vahla_Hanesh

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic