Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 3,541 to 3,560 of 8,903

nessisonett

With all this talk of Batman, I decided to rewatch the Nolan ones (well, the first two anyway). I actually rather like Batman Begins, Liam Neeson is great other than the strange Master Splinter facial hair. On another viewing, Bale hasn’t ramped up the hamminess yet and the voice isn’t quite as gruff as the sequels. Yeah, the villains might not be the star of the show but as yet another origin story, it does it’s job fairly well. Onto The Dark Knight tonight to see if my thoughts have changed at all!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

nessisonett

@LN78 Yeah, it’s the only Batman one but I swear I’ve seen more origin stories for superheroes than any other genre of movie 😂

WanderingBullet

Peninsula, the sequel to Train to Busan is set to release this year in August. I was never a fan of Gong Yoo. That being said, I thought the first movie was quite good. Kang Dong Won on the other hand is much better actor in my opinion so I'm actually quite looking forward to the sequel.

https://6.viki.io/image/1bd6e1f9befe4ac7b1f29b9a7fedc8ce.jpeg...

https://0.soompi.io/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/27161322/penin...

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

JohnnyShoulder

Spider-Man Far From Home. The post credits scenes are game changers. No joke. Wow. The actual movie was fun, not sure about the whole EuroTrip style of the first half. Into the Spider-Verse has set the bar so high that I'm not sure anything live action can come close. Jake Gyllenhaal was ace as Mysterio. Think I slightly prefer Homecoming and the first Spider-Man 2 has still not been bettered.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

WanderingBullet

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah, I do think that Homecoming was a better movie overall. The jokes in Far From Home were a hit and miss for me. The first act wasn't that good but it was great after that. Not to mention the movie has probably the best post credit scene in the MCU.

nessisonett

I ended up watching The Dark Knight again. Yeah, my feelings haven’t changed. It’s just all a bit messy and Bale’s voice is hilarious. Seriously, just dub over Kevin Conroy if you can’t do a good Bat-voice. The politics of the movie, which is a fair chunk of its plot, have not aged well at all, which is understandable given how much has changed in even the past decade. I still maintain that Aaron Eckhart gives just as good a performance as Heath Ledger and is in a way, more interesting as a character. I just don’t really get why it’s so beloved given that the action sequences are as hard to watch as that scene from Taken where Liam Neeson jumps over a fence. Seriously, the amount of takes to punch a guy is nonsense, the camera jumps all over the place. Batman Forever is a better movie. I understand that’s anathema but it is 😂😂

nessisonett

@LN78 Yeah cuts are the word I was looking for 😂😂 I just really dislike a lot of how TDK is put together. The sound mixing makes it really hard to hear a lot of audio even with relatively decent speakers and it apparently won an Oscar for sound editing which makes sense. I personally prefer Begins just because I feel as a cohesive origin story it does its job really well. Gary Oldman gives a career low performance as Gordon in the movies as well, impressive considering Bram Stoker’s Dracula exists. That part where Bruce crashes his sports car to ‘inadvertently’ save the accountant dude who knows his identity and Gordon just brushes it off as ‘Wow, you have good timing’, what’s that all about? He’s been a police officer for however many years but accepts that Bruce Wayne accidentally drove at 150 miles an hour and saved his own employee’s life in the process?

nessisonett

@LN78 I would post a gif of Gary Oldman as Dracula hamming it up but I concede it’s at least funny. Personally I find him an exceedingly hammy actor though.

Edited on by nessisonett

kyleforrester87

@LN78 I saw it a month ago but kinda... drank too much and don’t fully remember the end so I’m going to watch it again tonight. I did expect a pretty gross ending (like Bone Tomahawk and BICB99) but I don’t recall it being quite so grim. Nonetheless, Mel Gibson was great in it I thought!

I do remember them “playing” PS4 without the controller lights being on though. That really annoyed me.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

kyleforrester87

@LN78 yes I mentioned Logan’s Run to a friend earlier and he came back with Silent Running as another one to watch so we’ll probably do both. And I’ve had Stalker on the shelf looking at me for 6 months too...

Vince Vaughn was fantastic in Brawl but took a backseat to Mel in Concrete.

Another thing that made me laugh in that movie was the really swanky high rise police captains office that they get told off in.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

JohnnyShoulder

@kyleforrester87 @LN78 Vince Vaughan has surprised me in the few serious roles I've seen him in. The best thing in True Detective Season 2. And yeah he was ace in Brawl. Almost put Dragged Across Concrete earlier but was put
off the running time. Have added it to my Amazon watch list. I didn't realise it was from the same director as Brawl and Bone Tomahawk, both I thought were fantastically violent and had decent films to back it up with.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

RogerRoger

Watched a handful of movies in the past couple weeks.

I needn't have been so scared of Joker, although some of its quieter opening parts hit a little too close to home, and therefore made for a harrowing experience (whereas its latter moments, designed to be harrowing, came nowhere near). It's a shame that such a film would never have gotten a greenlight without the weight of the DC brand behind it, but equally I don't think I can praise DC and Warner Bros. too much for creating what is ultimately a derivative hybrid. All of the individual components have worked in other highly-respected films, so mashing them together and slapping the Joker's name on it can't really be hailed as bravery. That being said, Joaquin Phoenix more than earned his Oscar, and managing to effectively engender sympathy for a monster is a delicate balancing act which should be applauded. Not something I think I'll ever watch again, but I'm glad I watched it.

On the other end of the superhero scale, I watched The Death and Return of Superman, a supercut of two recent direct-to-DVD animated movies which just about justified its nearly three-hour runtime. If you're aware of the point where somebody's welded the films together, then it can be a teensy bit jarring as its character-driven, emotional story suddenly becomes a fast-paced, wacky romp in the second half, but it kinda works (mostly because it's animated, so you kinda expected a bunch of OTT fights with alien body-snatchers emerging from dimensional portals in the sky). There's a lot to like, with nuggets of genius buried throughout an otherwise-perfectly-fine undertaking. If you catch it in the right mood, you'll have enough of a blast to stop glancing at your watch.

Also watched the Austin Powers trilogy, my favourite of which remains Goldmember. Made me wish they'd make a fourth one, almost as much as it made me wish they never, ever do.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

WanderingBullet

Captain Marvel 2 rumoured to feature Henry Cavill as Wolverine.

Many actors have been to link to replace Hugh Jackman, like Keanu Reeves and Taron Egerton but I actually think that Cavill might be a good choice.

JohnnyShoulder

@WanderingBullet I hope note, I really don't rate Cavill in anything I've seen him in. It gonna be difficult for anyone stepping into the role, one that is so linked to the actor who portrayed the character. Off the top of my head Channing Tatum comes up. It would be good for it be someone different though, whom is not normally seen in these kind of roles. Kind of what Robert Pattinson is to Batman.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

WanderingBullet

@LN78 Taron Egerton would be of course more comic accurate granted he can bulk up for the role.

@JohnnyShoulder Gambit's my favourite X-Men so was disappointed when I read that his solo movie was cancelled. My hope now is that he'll feature in the MCU movies. As for Channing Tatum, not to say that I'm against it but I can't really see him as Wolverine. Speaking of X-Men, I would love to see maybe Charlize Theron as the White Queen.

Ralizah

Just watched Color Out of Space. It was... pretty good! The best horror movie I've seen in a while. Feels like a cross between John Carpenter's The Thing (lots of body horror, and one scene in particular will call the horrifying dog scene from that film to mind immediately), Lovecraftian cosmic horror (obviously), and an extremely dark comedy B-movie featuring Nicolas Cage at his unchained best.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

JohnnyShoulder

@Ralizah Cool, I saw that advertised and wondered which Nic Cage we would be getting. Is it as bonkers as Mandy?

nessisonett

Finished off my rewatch of the Nolan Batman movies and.. yeah TDKR is a bit of a damp squib to go out on. My issues with TDK were mostly amplified in this one along with the villains not being as good as the first two movies. I could go on to then rewatch Batman vs Superman but that might be a step too far 😂

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic