Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 341 to 360 of 8,933

crippyd

I watched Dr Strange last night and thought it was great. Not as much action as the other Marvel films but a very good introduction to the character and a good start to the next lot of movies.

crippyd

Rudy_Manchego

I watched Arrival at the weekend in a rare trip (for me) to the cinema.

Excellent sci fi film and surprisingly emotional. I would recommend though be aware for an alien film there is very little action or anything, more talking and thinking.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Quintumply

I went to watch Doctor Strange a couple of nights ago, and I really enjoyed it. I liked how different it felt compared to most of the other Marvel films, some of which take themselves a little bit too seriously. They didn't shy away from the magic and try to make it all real and grounded, they went in wholesale with the special effects and the otherworldly vibe. This combined with it being more light hearted made for a more enjoyable couple of hours than some of Marvel's bigger movies. I thought it was funny and wonderfully weird. Lots of fun to watch.

Quintumply

PSN: Quintumply | Twitter:

Victor_Meldrew

@Quintumply: apparently after they've made the movie they hire writers to come in and fit in a few jokes, worked anyway

Victor_Meldrew

RR529

The Little Prince (Netflix Original) - First original Netflix film I've seen, and it was... alright. An animated film that followed a young girl & her mother as they moved into a new neighborhood so she could get into a highly prestigious school (the mother has every second of the girl's life planned out on a schedule, no time for play, there's always work to do!), but the girl quickly becomes fast friends with the eccentric old man who lives next door who teaches her not to lose her childlike sense of wonder (the main theme of the film). Graphically, it's not as technically impressive as what the top tier studios put out (the characters especially look outdated, and slightly blocky), but it sets itself apart by featuring a variety of art directions (the stop motion animation used for the Prince's story, and the contrast between the monochrome vibe of the "adult world", and the colorful whimsy of the old man's house). Overall, I just felt it was kinda, meh (it wasn't a long movie, but it felt like it dragged on at the end). I don't know, maybe I was just tired (I watched it late at night on a day I got up extra early).

U-571 (Netflix) - Excellent WWII film. Saw a US submarine crew disguising themselves as Germans to get to a damaged German sub to collect it's Enigma code machine and get it back to allied hands, all while trying to make sure the enemy doesn't find out Enigma has been compromised. I don't think I've ever been that tense when watching a film (especially when the depth charges are coming), what an edge of your seat experience. While it's not based on any one particular true story, it's inspired by the various missions both American & British sailors accomplished to get Enigma. If you like war films (especially naval war films), give it a watch.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RR529

Judge Dredd (Netflix) - Watched the newer one a couple years ago and thought it was pretty decent, so I decided to watch the original. It's a bit dated (especially in regards to the effects), but it's a pretty decent action flick in a sci-fi setting.

Sphere (Netflix) - Sci-fi flick that sees a group of scientists sent to the depths of a sub-oceanic habitat in order to study what's believed to be an alien spacecraft at the bottom of the ocean floor. Early on they discover a mysterious sphere, and soon mysterious and dangerous things start happening within their habitat. It didn't have the best user rating (in Netflix's system, at least), but I'm glad I gave it a watch as I thought it was quite interesting.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Sky High (Netflix) - Live action Disney flick about the son of two revered superheroes beginning his freshman year at a super hero highschool. Only problem? As of yet he hasn't shown any superhuman capabilities. It's as cheesy as they come, but I've always had a soft spot for it.

the Imitation Game (Netflix) - Film about the brilliant, yet socially akward, scientist Alan Turing who developed the computer responsible for breaking Germany's Enigma code machine during WWII. Naturally it's a bit of a slow film, but it's very good.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Speedy67

Watched Arrival last night, was very good. Really atmospheric and clever, definitely film of the year so far.

We all know the world needs Kentucky Fried Duck.
My website: https://stuffandthatreviews.wordpress.com/

PSN: Skymister01 | Twitter:

kellyon

the psychological thriller "Unknown" 2011 is worth watching

kellyon

TheDoofingCritic

Top 5 animated films of the year so far
5.Finding Dory
4.Kung Fu Panda 3
3.Moana
2.Zootopia
1.Little Prince

TheDoofingCritic

PSN: Goldmarioz

Speedy67

@TheDoofingCritic: Only seen Finding Dory out of those and it was pretty good. Kinda dumb sometimes and a bit non-stop, but it was really fun.

WanderingBullet

Deadpool got nominated for Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy for the 74TH GOLDEN GLOBES.

Ryan Reynolds got nominated as well for Best Actor – Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

Speedy67

Just watched Dragonball Z: Battle of Gods, and it's flippin' good!

RR529

Disney's the Jungle Book (Netflix) - This was the live action remake that released earlier this year (I've never read the book, or watched Disney's earlier animated effort). For what it was, I thought it was a pretty decent watch. It's not revolutionary in terms of narrative or anything like that, but it had some fantastic special effects (seeing King Louie swing around those ruins is Kingdom Hearts boss material in the making), and hey, I got a kick out of Bill Murray as Baloo...

Spectral (Netflix Original) - After first seeing the trailer I was kind of skeptical, yet intrigued, to see if Netflix could pull off a military sci-fi action flick (most of their in house films so far have been comedies & documentaries), and I'm glad to report it was actually pretty good. Pretty much, the Americans have intervened in a Moldovan civil war, and after some seemingly supernatural force shows up and shows no mercy to either side, Washington sends in a scientist to identify (and hopefully neutralize) the new threat. It didn't have any big name actors from what I could tell, but it had a lot of action (which could be quite tense early on when you didn't know what they were up against), and the special effects & CG were actually a bit better than I was expecting (I liked the designs of the machinery too).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

usb

As soon as I saw will Smith was in Suicide Squad I lost all hope for the film he has not done anything decent in years

usb

PSN: noodledreamz

BoyFromMars82

That's a good point. What has he been in?
The story was weak. Must have spent almost an hour just walking the streets. So dull.

BoyFromMars82

PSN: BoyFromMars82

crippyd

I watched Rogue One last night and it was a bit underwhelming in my opinion, the first hour was a bit too slow and just a bit dull but it picked up after that. It had some standout moments but it wasn't a patch on Force Awakens.

crippyd

Victor_Meldrew

@crippyd: I've not liked either of the two new films all that much, they're good and I'm happy there are more films in the franchise but I'm in the minority when I say I prefer episodes 2-6

Victor_Meldrew

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic