Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 361 to 380 of 8,866

crippyd

@Bad-MuthaAdebisi I think the originals are the best although I would rank Force Awakens above the prequels, especially ep 1, I thought that was by far the worst of the whole lot.

crippyd

Victor_Meldrew

@crippyd: episode 1 is just plain annoying, as an all round film the force awakens is spot on, I'm just greedy and would prefer a whole lot more sith vs Jedi action and more badass bad dudes

Edited on by Victor_Meldrew

Victor_Meldrew

crippyd

@Bad-MuthaAdebisi I do agree with you on the bad guy, he should have been much more bad, more along the lines of Vader.

crippyd

Speedy67

@crippyd: I wouldn't say it was as good as The Force Awakens but I wasn't underwhelmed at all. I guess it did start slowly but when it got into full flow it was awesome. Jyn was a great lead for it to boot.

We all know the world needs Kentucky Fried Duck.
My website: https://stuffandthatreviews.wordpress.com/

PSN: Skymister01 | Twitter:

Speedy67

@Bad-MuthaAdebisi: I would rank Episode VII far above any of the prequels, I don't think Episode I or II are worth your time (although II has some redeemable moments towards the end) and III was full of flaws but pretty good; Episode VII was just a really entertaining and full on action sci-fi, and it had that magical element of the originals along with some cool new stuff and a great new villain in Kylo Ren. I'd actually go as far to say Episode VII was better than VI, although it doesn't quite catch up to IV and no Star Wars is as good as V - which is a sci-fi masterpiece. Rogue One for me ranks as an equal with VI, because it's got a lot of brilliant action, characters and all.

RR529

Bridge of Spies (DVD) - Period piece based on a true story set in 1957 that sees Tom Hanks playing an attorney who is given the unenviable position of defending an alleged Soviet spy in court. Further complicating things, he's later tasked with setting up an unofficial trade for an American spy caught by the Soviets, and lots of other things get in the way. It's a very interesting film, but naturally pretty slow paced.

Paddington (Netflix) - Family film about a talking bear who moves to London to find a new home after an earthquake destroys his home in Peru. It's definitely a kids film that doesn't take itself too seriously (most people on the street don't seem too fussed about a talking bear roaming around for example), but it has it's charming moments & does some neat things visually.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Rudy_Manchego

@Sanquine: I've seen it now on Netflix UK but I know each country is different with rights etc. Not watched it yet though!

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Speedy67

Have watched quite a lot since I last wrote in this thread.

Fantastic Beasts. As a psuedo-prequel/spin-off (new trend, seemingly) it's nearly at the heights of Rogue One.
Tenacious D: Pick of Destiny. Awesome soundtrack (obviously) and all-round stupid fun.
Gremlins. Classic nearly as good as Ghostbusters from the same year.
10 Cloverfield Lane. Brooding and tense thriller.
Deadpool. Idiotically entertaining to great levels.

Splat

I don't care if am the only adult there, I'm going to see Power Rangers.

"What do you reckon, we're gonna have to climb that thing?" ~ Chloe Frazer

"I reckon I'M gonna have to climb that thing." ~ Nathan Drake

PSN: Splathew

RR529

I've watched quite a bit since my last post.

Captain America: Civil War (Netflix) - Watched this on Christmas since I couldn't get out (had a bad cold). I thought it was pretty cool, and that airport scene was awesome!

Heathers (Netflix) - 80's dark satire about teen culture of the time. It was okay, I suppose.

Superman: the Movie (Netflix) - I love the classic idealistic nature of this film's Superman (more than the brooding Supes of today), but the film still has it's issues. Of course the special effects are noticeably dated (understandable), I thought Luthor was kinda jammed in unnaturally (when he first appears about halfway in, his group adds a comedic element that was completely absent in the film's first half that comes off a bit jarring at first), and then there's the infamously campy ending. Still enjoyed it, though.

Superman II (Netflix) - This one holds up less well. I still found it pretty enjoyable overall, but a battle between Kryptonians was just too much of an ask for the special effects of the time (nothing like being sent gently floating through the air after a midair clash). Then there were the extra powers they pulled out of nowhere (like Superman throwing his "S"...). Still, I liked it, and found Zod's group's ignorance of Earth things humorous.

Superman III (Netflix) - This one was just weird. The story was a mishmash of 80's corporate greed and the era's fascination/misunderstanding of the power of the computer. It took on a much more comedic element than the first two, and don't get me started on that fist fight Superman had... with himself.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Tasuki

@RR529: I highly suggest the Richard Donner Cut of Superman II. In case you don't know the history Superman 1 and 2 were originally filmed back to back but due to some reasons (which escapes me right now) they switched Directors mid way through Superman II and with the new director came rewrites of course and so we got the campy version of Superman II. Years later they found the original director's version (Richard Donner) and put it out. It has the same basic plot just not as campy.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

WanderingBullet

Anyone saw the new Logan trailer? I find it a bit odd that they have X-Men comics in their universe now.

Huntin' monsters erryday.

RR529

Superman IV: the Quest for Peace (Netflix) - Pretty much a very 80's camp film that's a statement on the arms race, starring Superman. Definitely not the best in the series, and Nuclear Man was asinine in multiple ways, but I actually kind of like the way he eminated power (the electricity coursing over him, for example)...

Superman Returns (Netflix) - It tries to be a followup to the 80's film series (being set 5 years later), but all the blatant mid 2000's tech kind of betrays that (would it have been that hard to have it take place in the early 90's?). Other than that inconsistency though, I actually kind of liked it. Yeah, it was drawn out a bit much, but the first one was as well, so I don't think it's a fatal flaw.

the Invincible Iron Man (Netflix) - Animated Iron Man film about the hero trying to stop the resurrection of the Mandarin. It was decent enough, though that stiff CG (used for Tony's suits & most major enemies) really dragged down the action.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Rudy_Manchego

@WanderingBullet I loved the trailer - I get the vibe that this is just doing away with continuity and having an almost stand alone story (which I'm fine with). I also have the issue of Uncanny X-Men!!!

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

BAMozzy

@WanderingBullet Personally I don't think that's odd at all. Comics were originally based on real life so its not surprising to see them having 'comics' about their life. The cartoon strips in newspapers are not always talking cats (Garfield), dogs (Fred Bassett, Marmaduke). Roy of the Rovers was a 'real life' style character based in the world of football for example.

I don't think its odd that in their universe, a comic of the X-men doesn't exist. It would be great for any of the 3 main groups (Humans, good and bad Mutants) to use the comics for their own political stance. The humans (for example) could portray Mutants as a threat - even the X-men, the X-men could portray themselves as 'saviours' not to be feared but to be accepted by Humans, and the Bad mutants could use comics to their own agenda. Essentially propaganda or to tell their side of the story.

Its clear that Hugh Jackman is leaving his 'Marvel' characters behind. Unlike Comics/cartoons etc, the actors age and can't carry on indefinitely so rather than replace the actor with a new Logan which could be odd with other actors keeping their role, its better to pass the mantel (and claws) onto another 'new and different' character. I don't think its that different from Robert Downey Jr leaving his Iron Man role and passing on the 'suit' to his successor, which like Wolverine, also is a 'female'. Personally I have no issue with this. Changing the Gender gives them a clear and visual break from the predecessor. Had the next Iron Man or Wolverine been male, I think people would expect them to be RDJ or HJ clones or at least expect them to behave similarly but the Gender swap allows these characters to start 'fresh', have their own identities and personalities.

Anyway talking of Comic book Films, I recently watched Deadpool, Civil War and BvS: Dawn of Justice. I though each movie had their moments and Deadpool certainly has its 'humour' which separates it from any other comic book movie. Civil War though was quite boring overall and not a patch on some of the other offerings in recent years from Marvel. Saying that I didn't think the Winter Soldier was great. BvS had its moments too but I don't think Jesse makes a good Lex and I really want to see the Directors cut to see if the 'editing' has some blame. I wanted more of Diana in the build up to that fight - she seemed very much on the peripheral to the flow of the film - almost as if she was shoe-horned in for the first hour or so. Its not a bad movie but think the ambition and vision over exceeded the time limits. I think some things were dragged out to much and other things skipped over and left little time for the finale. Deadpools humour carried that through but its not best comic book movie I have seen.

I don't get to the cinema but looking forward to seeing Wonder Woman, Spider-Man, Justice League, Logan and Thor: Ragnarock (in that order). Guardians of the Galaxy is likely to be 'fun' but not a film that I am overly looking forward too - not that I won't watch it but I never read any of the comics or really knew who these characters were before the first film. All the others have characters I know, love and/or grew up with. Still not seen Suicide Squad yet - waiting for that to come to Sky...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

WanderingBullet

@Rudy_Manchego I really like the trailer as well. I like serious tone shown in the trailer and I'm hoping they amped up the violence as well. That one part where Professor X said the "f" word was pretty hilarious too.

As for the next month, I'm really looking forward to John Wick 2. Was a huge fan of the unique action choreography in the first one so I'm hoping to see more of that in the sequel.

@BAMozzy I'll be watching all the superheroes movies you've mentioned. Can't say that I have high expectations for Justice League, though.

Huntin' monsters erryday.

crippyd

@BAMozzy I watched the extended cut of BvS and it was terrible. The first 15-20 minutes were good, where Bruce was wandering round they city but after that it just fell flat and the fight was rubbish. I had relatively high hopes for it after seeing the trailer but it managed to smash them to bits! Deadpool was great, I enjoyed it at the cinema and I thought the jokes stood up to repeat viewings and a decent amount of action and story too. Suicide Squad was good in the cinema but not so good at home, again I watched the extended cut which seemed to have suffered from BvS guff and they somehow managed to kill off a decent film. I'll be watching the theatrical cut to compare and contrast. Spider-man, Thor, Logan and Guardians will all be cinema watches for me although I don't think I'll bother with the DC ones, they just don't seem to have a clue compared to Marvel (that's not to say all the Marvel ones have been brilliant, they have just been consistently better than DC).

crippyd

Rudy_Manchego

@crippyd BVS is just so frustrating - there is the germ of a good movie in there. Some scenes are awesome, some good acting and so on but there was just too much going on and what was going on was largely nonsensical. The ending was a mess.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic