Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 3,061 to 3,080 of 8,955

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Blade Runner was a vast improvement on Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, imo. It lacked any of the atmosphere, existential pondering, or moral ambiguity one associates with that film.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

JohnnyShoulder

WanderingBullet wrote:

No Spider-man: Into the Spider-Verse you guys? It's arguably the best Spider-man movie.

@WanderingBullet I was thinking earlier how on earth I missed that. It's defo my fave Spider movie.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

I’m afraid my list of favorite movies from the ... what do we call this decade? The two-thousand tens? That sounds weird. Anyways... my movie list from this decade would be riddled with superhero, fantasy, and pop culture fluff, so I’ll just mention some movies in generalities and I’ll just let my nerdom flow freely here —
-Of course this is the decade of the MCU and I’ve spoke ad nauseam about my adoration for those films. My favorites would be: Avengers, Avengers Infinity War, Avengers End Game, Thor Ragnarok, and Guardians of the Galaxy.
-The Star Wars movies next — Rogue One and The Force Awakens brought me a lot of joy.
-The beginning of this decade actually concluded the Harry Potter epic — Deathly Hallows Parts 1 & 2 were wonderful imo.
-Although they don’t hold a candle to the earlier LotR movies, The Hobbit trilogy had some fun moments, especially the first two.
-Add a couple Tom Cruise SciFi thrillers — Edge of Tomorrow and Oblivion.
-Random superhero movies — X-Men Days of Future Past, Into the Spiderverse, Batman vs Superman, Wonder Woman.

... I’ve gone way over 10 at this point.
I will throw in a couple non-nerd culture films that I held as very enjoyable: The Life of Pi, Les Miserable, A Quiet Place, and The Great Gatsby. I’m not a complete tool. I do like actual real cinema sometimes.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution I don't think there was a limit of films, it was just list your favourites from the decade, so i wouldn't worry about listing more than 10.

Interesting that you chose so many super hero flicks, as much as I enjoyed them at the time, looking back at them now I don't think many would make my list. Apart from the ones I've listed already, the only ones that would make it are Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor Ragnarok. Having watched the others I've not enjoyed them as much. For instance I thought The Winter Soldier was fantastic when I first watched it, but the more I've seen it the less i like it. Most of the other Marvel stuff has suffered a similar fate with me.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Gremio108

@Th3solution Nothing wrong with that list. All films I enjoyed

I kind of forgot about The Force Awakens. I really enjoyed it when I watched it, but the follow-up really dimmed my enjoyment of it in retrospect, which is massively unfair on TFA.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

JohnnyShoulder

Just saw the directors cut of Midsommar. At just under 3 hours long I'm gonna need time to get my head round that.

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Dude, you saw my list, right? Nothing wrong with liking what you like!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Gremio108

@Solea Bone Tomahawk, thank you. Off to add to my list yet again.

Also cheers for reminding me to watch the Deadwood film. I enjoyed the series but I've not got around to watching that yet

Gremio108

@Solea Yeah, the whole cast are fantastic. Proper ensemble piece. I only really know Robin Weigert from Deadwood and she looks really different in real life. I remember seeing her in a film and it took me most of the running time to realise who I was looking at!

RR529

A View to a Kill (Blu-Ray) - The next Bond film in line for me (took awhile to get to it, lol).

Nothing particularly standout, but a nice enough watch for a Saturday night. Highlights were probably the chase scene in Paris, & the climax with the blimp & Golden Gate bridge in San Francisco (unnerving sense of hight, lol), though it was also amusing seeing Bond giving the agent pretending to be his chauffeur a hard time.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RogerRoger

@RR529 Yay, you liked it enough to be kind to it!

Many people knock Sir Roger's final outing, for reasons various, but it's one of my all-time favourites. You highlight some great moments (the stunt in which Bond jumps a taxi up onto, along and then off the front of a moving bus never gets enough praise) and yeah, it definitely has some incredible humour in its first half, with the interplay between Bond and Tibbett.

Glad you enjoyed it, no matter how long it took to get around to watching it! You'll be on to Timothy Dalton next. Will be interesting to see what you make of him.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder @LN78 Yeah, although the Marvel stuff has been a little hit-or-miss, the series’s influence on the decade cannot be understated. Aside from the billions in revenue, the movies shaped an entire generation of action filmmaking. Obviously financial and cultural success does not equate to critical excellence, but if one has to select a group of movies that represents the two-thousand tens (eeechh... still don’t like that term) its gotta be the MCU. For better or for worse, it dominated the box office the last 10 years.

@Arugula @RogerRoger @Gremio108 Lol, I tend to watch movies as an escape, just like my gaming. This means fantastical magical worlds and people with superhuman powers serve best. Nevertheless, I reserve the right to watch serious and thought provoking psychological thrillers, deep and revealing character studies, investigative and serious historical films, or tragic and depressing melodramas. Some of my favorites over the years have actually been documentaries. The complex aspects of my disposition are just slightly hidden under a thick layer of pre-eminent need for escapism.

Speaking of, I forgot one other favorite for the decade — The Dark Knight Rises. Not a popular opinion, I know. 😅

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution To play devils advocate, did you pick those movies because of their cultural importance to the decade or because they were your favourites, or a bit of both? Not sure if I ever think if a film has been a financial or critical success when thinking of my favourite movies. They were just ones I enjoyed the most.

Th3solution

@LN78 I’m fairly jazzed about Rise of Skywalker, but it’s mostly out of series devotion. The last trailer I saw would hint at a mediocre product, and the rumor mill is fraught with caution to keep expectations in check. My circles are likewise mixed, but most of us Star Wars faithful continue to have blind allegiance and are appropriately (if not tentatively) excited. I have plans to go see it the week after release.

@JohnnyShoulder Oh no, its a fair question, but I honestly enjoyed the superhero movies (and specifically the MCU) and would count them as favorites regardless of any financial success. My above comment wasn’t meant to be some sort of report of my thoughts on the MCU’s influence aimed to convince others that they must include them in their own lists, as I realize these are all favorites lists, based solely on personal bias and opinion. Rather it was to lend some validation to my own list, I guess, just to ease my own mind that maybe I’m not that crazy to love these films; ie. to be such a phenomenon, there has to be some modicum of quality hidden in the series somewhere.

Although, I do realize that we all are subject to be subliminally influenced by societal reactions, either positively or negatively. And I admit, part of the enjoyment is in the sharing and discussing of a film (or game, or book...) with one’s friends or family. When bunches of people are buzzing about something, it ramps up the enjoyment to participate in the conversation. So whether I would count some of the listed movies as favorites if watched in a bubble, it would be hard to say and I’d be naive to claim I wasn’t at least somewhat affected by their tsunami-like arrival into pop culture.

Another factor would certainly be my association with all things “nerdy” and to see society finally accept some of the fantastical (like comics and Sci-Fi) that have heretofore been deemed as fringe and oddball, well.. that’s comforting in a strange way. The MCU and Game of Thrones have made the former outcast fandom now mainstream.

But back to the original question — The litmus test is probably whether a film is enjoyed over time and on repeated viewings, like you mentioned. In your case, you enjoyed most of them at the first watch, but not so much when you went back for a re-viewing. For me, a few of them were equally or even more enjoyable on the second, third, or even fourth viewing. Furthermore, there are a handful in the series that I simply don’t care for, even when they are immensely popular publicly — Black Panther and Capt America The First Avenger being examples of that.

So I think it’s an honest appraisal when I add MCU shows to my favorites list, even if their popularity has been one factor in my personal enjoyment, if that makes sense. 😄

KALofKRYPTON

Hey everyone. If you haven't had a look yet, please go and vote in the Push Square community run screenshot of the year competition, there are a few hours left for the public vote and you can find all of the pictures and information in the forum post 😁

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@Th3solution @LN78 Speaking of, I just got my ticket for Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker. I'll be seeing it 10am Thursday (alone, alas, as my partner can't make it) so expect some spoiler-free thoughts to be posted mid-afternoon.

Tomorrow and Wednesday I'm gonna re-watch The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi, mostly as a refresher but also to give Disney their last, best shot at impressing me.

Nowhere near as excited as I should be, but buying the ticket did give me a teensy bit of anticipatory fizz.

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@LN78 Schools break up Thursday afternoon. There's no chance I'd go anywhere near a cinema from Friday onwards, so it's literally the only time I'm prepared to go for the next, what, three weeks? They do have a 9am showing but I used to clean cinemas in my teenage years, so I'd rather not be the first lot in post-midnight because I know better. There are also 3D showings, but nuts to them.

Its rather-specific runtime has been confirmed for a couple weeks, so I think the rumours of last-minute inserts and edits should be taken generously salted. I did see one cameo potentially spoiled, which is what urged me to go alone when my partner had to cancel. Otherwise I'd have waited.

My current thinking is that The Force Awakens was inoffensive, but I regard The Last Jedi in the same way you regard the prequels, so a bang-average popcorn flick will be a win for me.

But thanks. I just hope they don't mishandle or ruin Palpatine for me. That's my biggest fear.

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@LN78 Because Palpatine. Yes, I'm falling hook, line and sinker for his tactical last-minute "save the divided franchise" insertion. Lando would've had me pre-order the Blu-Ray, but I can't ignore Palpatine.

Otherwise, if it was just the continuing adventures of the new cast, I wouldn't have cared. Although I will admit, there's also a slight element of "Well, I enjoyed Solo, apparently The Mandalorian is going well, and Jedi: Fallen Order was nigh-on perfect, so maybe all of Disney's scattershot attempts to make good Star Wars are finally coming together!"

Either that, or it means we're due an unmitigated disaster, but I don't wanna surrender to pessimism.

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@LN78 Hey, it's Star Wars. They're getting this £15 from me regardless, if not on this ticket then on a soundtrack or a book or some LEGO or a t-shirt or whatever!

Nobody said being an optimist (or an obsessive fanboy) was cheap.

The scale of my disdain for The Last Jedi simply highlights my passion for this franchise; I'm locked in regardless. I don't mean for this question to sound snappy, defensive or confrontational, but I'm curious as to whether you went and saw the second and third prequels at the cinema, after being so roundly disappointed by The Phantom Menace, or whether you waited for the DVDs?

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic