Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 1,001 to 1,020 of 8,969

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger just look for the scene on YouTube - the dialogue alone is amazing. Search 'David Alien Covenant Flute' or something

In Frank he wears a Frank Sidebottom mask throughout the film - though it's not about him, sadly. Good film though.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

KALofKRYPTON

@themcnoisy
Aliens Director's Cut on top then chuck the rest in however for me. That said - the extended cut of Alien 3 is pretty good. And the game was pretty ace too, so...

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@themcnoisy Yeah, but it's probably because I only watched them all last year, one per day, and I grew up on more action-oriented material. So the first was always gonna be a little difficult to get into, because it's not an action film (I don't like horror... suspense is okay, though) whereas I guess I just settled into things more as they progressed, and Aliens was much more what I was expecting. By the time Resurrection came around, I was "in the zone" to enjoy it more than I probably should.

Do remember that I have weird opinions. I prefer the Star Wars prequels, I like Batman & Robin, etc. so my movie views are always gonna be a little out-of-sync. Heck, for all my studying and knowledge of the craft, my favourite film of all time remains Air Force One.

@KALofKRYPTON I think I'll pass on actively seeking out creepy Michael Fassbender scenes, thanks (especially ones that involve a flute). I'm sure it'll pop up on some kind of "Top Ten Weirdest Scenes" video that I'll inadvertantly stumble across one day, if it's half as bad as you describe!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Okay - if you're totally sure you don't want to 'enjoy' 'Two Fassbenders and One Flute' like the rest of us had to

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Boy, am I glad I haven't eaten yet today...

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

Eh. Prometheus and Alien: Covenant are interesting science-fiction films in their own right, but they were setting audiences up for disappointment by connecting them to the Alien film franchise. They just don't scratch that particular itch.

Props to Covenant for giving us the most unsubtle homoeroticism in movie history, though.

"Hold it like so, nice and easy. Now compress your lips to create your embouchure."

"I'll do the fingering."

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PC); Unicorn Overlord (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

KALofKRYPTON

@Ralizah you're spoiling @RogerRoger 's surprise! 😂

Ralizah

@KALofKRYPTON Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine.

Did you see it in theaters? The best part of the film was watching the men around me shift uncomfortably in their seats as the film gradually transformed into Homoeroticism: The Movie whenever the Fassbender twins were on-screen.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PC); Unicorn Overlord (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

Okay, DEFINITELY not going anywhere near that film, or YouTube, now!

I'll just be over here, dry-wretching.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@Ralizah I did! It was worth the price of admission just for that.

Tasuki

@RogerRoger Yeah IIRC it was something to do with his travel arrangements. Originally he was only suppose to be a guest so he had it in his contract to only make a few appearently due to traveling between New York (where he lived) and LA where the show was filmed. However because of his popularity as Lex Luthor they decided to bring him on full time regardless of his contract which caused the rift and him leaving after the first season.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

JohnnyShoulder

I can't comprehend how anyone can find Alien Resurrection a better movie than Alien. @RogerRoger I appreciate you have different tastes and all that but WOW.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

themcnoisy

@Ralizah @KALofKRYPTON I have some really good questions for Alien Covenant. Why did the ship stop near to that planet? Im sure it was on purpose.

Which then feeds into Alien and the prequels. Does mother know that David will create the Alien? Or has he been built to create new life?

Its like Mother is leading us as we follow her tune (played by a flute) to our deaths.

Crazily right now on E4 is Alien v Predator. Its absolutely terrible.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

kyleforrester87

@themcnoisy I won't wade into an open Alien film debate (I do bloody love the franchise though, even the bad films)

But I will say AvP is actually okay in my opinion haha. I know it's bad but it's not BAD bad.

I first saw it with at the cinema with a girl I was really trying to get with so maybe I just have fond memories of that, though 😂

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

BAMozzy

@themcnoisy AvP isn't a 'bad' movie in my opinion - its more the wasted opportunity from such great source material that makes this bad. If this was the first time we had seen the Alien/Predators, it wouldn't be considered that bad but the fact that Alien and Predator are such great, iconic movies is what 'disappoints' with this. If you can watch it at face value, its OK - if you want a 'bad' movie, try AvP2!

As for covenant, The colonists opted to land on that planet after taking damage and it was the nearest habitable planet rather than risk travelling to the original destination. It was 'accidental' and/or circumstantial but there was of course that radio transmission of a human voice that alerts them to the planets existence.

Prometheus and Covenant disappoint for 'similar' reasons to AvP in that they try and reinvent the 'history' we have known for a long time and they don't fit with our 'expectations'. We were hoping that they would either be a tense 'horror' like Alien or an Action rollercoaster like Aliens but keep the things we 'know' and love too. Prometheus and Covenant are supposedly prequels to Alien yet the tech is clearly much more advanced. There is supposed to be another film that leads directly into Alien in the timeline and then a 'soft reboot' is expected that takes place in a different setting with a whole new cast.

Predator is coming back too so maybe this will deliver on what we expect from that franchise at least...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

RogerRoger

@Tasuki Blimey. Well, full credit to the guy, he never let any frustration show on-screen. He was awesome. But yeah, it must've been LA because I frequently see scenes taking place on streets and yell "Metropolis!" I think it's the WB backlot's permanent city set?

@JohnnyShoulder Well, whilst I'm breaking your brain and we're talking about older sci-fi films, I do actually think that Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines is the best offering from that franchise, too.

Don't worry, though; in my brain, there is a difference between the "objectively good" and "stuff I enjoy" sections.

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger Ah yes it always irks me when someone can't tell the difference between a bad film or just something they didnt enjoy. Like I didn't like Bladerunner on recent viewings, but can see that it is a well made film with some fine performances and all that. Just didn't tick the right boxes for me, but i would never describe it as a terrible movie or anything like that. And of course it is all very subjective anyway.

Good to see there are fellow Alien fans here. It is my all time fave film. I think it still holds up well today. When I first saw it in HD i was blown away by it all over again. I think the only part that doesn't hold up well is when the alien is sucked into space at the end.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

themcnoisy

@RogerRoger "I do actually think that Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines is the best offering from that franchise, too."

This is the Movie thread. The thread for controversial opinions is under a different headline.

Im flabbergasted how you can even think that. T2 is almost the perfect action film and T1 is a fantastic chase movie. T3 is a lame comedy. Obvs we have our own tastes etc and you have admitted to having bad taste but come on bro!

themcnoisy

@BAMozzy I dont think it was accidental. Im struggling to think back but the scene with the solar sail thingy didnt sit right with me. Also when David enters Mother he knows all the codes and stuff. Its also the perfect breeding ground for Aliens!

@johnnyshoulder agreed, that bit looks rubbish.

What is quite heart warming is that the Alien likes cats, it left the 🐱 alone twice in the film.

Edited on by themcnoisy

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic