Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 441 to 460 of 10,107

kyleforrester87

Boom, cleared Hyper Light Drifter tonight, that's my third play through and it took me about 3 hours over 2 sessions. Nice little stop gap to see me through to God of War, I will try doing it quicker in the future. One day I will get the no death run trophy... one day..

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

mookysam

Does anyone else's PS4 sound like it's going to take off in this wretched heat?

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Haruki_NLI

@mookysam My BluRay drive has been exceptionally loud with KH1.5+2.5. Plus in this heat it sounds louder than normal.

I hate to think what the internal temperature is given fans start at around 60C on this thing

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Kidfried

@mookysam I turned supersampling and boost mode off to keep it silent.

Kidfried

RogerRoger

@mookysam Mine's doing okay, but I've hardly been taxing it.

Last year, when we had the stupidly-hot weather at the tail end of the summer, I'm convinced it had a rivalry going with a floor fan I was running to keep me cool. Couldn't tell which was making the more noise, and it's not exactly a quiet floor fan, either.

I swear, this country... hasn't anybody ever heard of the word "acclimatise" here? One minute it's snowing, the next somebody knocked it all the way up to Gas Mark 9.

Edited on by RogerRoger

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Octane

@RogerRoger A few weeks ago it was still -20, and now it's 27, 28? I don't think I've ever witnessed an increase like that in such a short amount of time.

Octane

RogerRoger

@Octane It's definitely one of the more sudden increases, for sure. I can recall a few others that felt this bad, but probably because they're forever embedded in my nightmares. I loathe anything above, ooh... 7°C, maybe 8 if I'm being generous?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

mookysam

@RogerRoger @Octane I was actually wearing a coat and scarf last Friday. I don't cope very well with heat but I suppose it's more the humidity. Having the windows open is a pain because of the pollen. I would get air conditioning for the two or so weeks a year it's needed in this country.

As for the PS4 it's not as loud as my first Xbox 360 got - and that was loud even in the depths of winter. It did well though. After nearly five years it got to the point where I thought it would escape the dreaded RROD. And then it promptly got the RROD.

Hopefully the PS5 will have better cooling!

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Jaz007

I just found out there's something called ASMR on youtube. I'm not even sure what I've been watching for the past hour.

Edited on by Jaz007

Jaz007

Th3solution

@Jaz007 Yeah, the first time I heard about it I was perplexed as well. So strange.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Rudy_Manchego

@Jaz007 I like to watch them occasionally before bed. I get sensory overload and this helps chill me out. However, it is weird.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

BAMozzy

My Pro was 'roaring' whilst playing God of War yesterday. It may have sounded at lot louder than I remembered as I have been playing a lot on the Xbox X which is a LOT quieter anyway.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

RogerRoger

@mookysam Fortunately, no matter how loud any console may get, I've never had one overheat and crash. With my old base-model PS4, I did decide to stop playing a little earlier than I'd have liked, just as a precaution on a handful of occasions when the weather was warm and the fan was loud. It's a testament to their design that they can keep themselves going in such conditions.

@BAMozzy I have been wondering about the God of War factor. It's a game designed to push the console to the limits and it goes and launches on a ridiculously hot day; I'm guessing more than a few warranties will be checked over the weekend.

Making It So Since 1987

Haruki_NLI

Don't most consoles with recommend external temperatures for use? I know Switch did, because battery, dont use it in warm weather.

I imagine PS4 would need to given it's penchant for acting like a jet. Then again mine isn't an OG PS4. It's a 1TB model so I believe the internals are very slightly refined.

RogerRoger

@YummyHappyPills I think there's a teeny bit of good ol' British hyperbole in some of these comments, since Sony sells the same consoles in places far closer to the equator with far higher average temperatures. They've got to stress-test them for at least an hour's constant use in places which frequently see numbers between 30°C and 40°C. Average playing habits are likely far kinder to the hardware than those of us die-hards, too.

And as you say, this console generation has had more frequent incremental upgrades and refinements and so, as I said earlier, whilst I was cautious about my base-model PS4 in the heat, I haven't worried too much about my PS4 Pro. It runs quieter and handled Horizon and Injustice 2 during last year's heatwave just fine.

Google found me this: https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/explore/ps4/tech-specs/ Listed under "Operating Temperature" is the 5°C to 35°C range, but I'm sure they're safe stats. I've seen people test a base-model PS4 in sub-zero and it worked fine, so there's likely some play at the higher end of the spectrum as well.

Making It So Since 1987

Haruki_NLI

@RogerRoger Now what I meant wasn't "My PS4 isn't OG". That it's not a Slim or Pro. Is your PS4 an actual original PS4? Be interesting to find out I suppose.

What mine is, is the all matt-black, original form factor, 1TB PS4, so around mid 2015 IIRC. I know it has some refinements to certain internals though I couldn't tell you what, as this system is a pain to open thanks to security screws I dont have, but it definitely runs differently to the original PS4, and obviously the allegedly cooler Pro and Slim models. But it's noisy even in colder weather.

And you may not know this, but Sony doesn't sell the "same" consoles in different places, at least not in ways we would notice. Due to the different power requirements and outputs in different countries, the adaptors will be different, obviously, but that also means the built in power supply will have to process that power differently based on where it is. Very, very minor adjustments, but not all PS4s globally are the same system.

I'd be willing to bet in some countries, hypothetically, if there was such a wild difference in the intensity of a power supply to other regions, even the cooling would need to be modified to accommodate, or at least the internals reshuffled around a bit.

Of course that's all hypothetical. I dont think many places differ that wildly. Granted at the end of the day it's still heated silicon in a plastic shell that heats up to unholy degrees if you actually measure the temperature of the system. Down to user discretion I suppose.

As for the British Hyperbole, well my PS4 is the loudest device I have, and I have a Slim PS3, Wii U + HDD, and a huge PC by my side. None of them combined make the noise my PS4 makes.

RogerRoger

@YummyHappyPills I meant British hyperbole about how hot it's been, compared to other countries around the world. 28°C is "surface of the sun" to us, but "a breezy spring day" to many places further south. Apologies, I didn't make that clear!

I currently have a PS4 Pro, have had for over a year now, but my first PS4 was a first-year model, a 500Gb black, regular design. Sure, it was louder when playing Uncharted 4 and Batman: Arkham Knight than with some of the last-generation remasters and shorter PSN games, but not scarily so. Then again, I keep all my consoles on flat shelves, raised about four feet from the floor, with decent ventilation in an apartment I keep as cool as possible. Seeing how many stack consoles on top of one another or even put their televisions atop them (a generalisation, not an accusation) makes an overheat inevitable, no matter what the weather is doing.

I also don't tax my tech. With regard to my PS4, I don't suspend and resume applications, I always power the console off completely when I'm not using it, and I'll frequently play something offline if it doesn't require an internet connection. Just because it can do a dozen things at once doesn't mean it should; my stuff always seems to last longer as a result of that policy, and in the brief moments where I've found myself downloading and installing a patch, with a game suspended in the background, whilst also checking a Community or PSN Messages feed, I've noticed the fan increase in pitch.

I didn't know that, about international variances in power requirements. Interesting, and certainly easy to see how that'd have a knock-on effect on how a system will run in different average temperatures. Hypothetical, sure, but understandable.

Making It So Since 1987

Haruki_NLI

@RogerRoger I keep all my systems on a stack of shelves, with the TV on a shelf above them. Well except my Switch, thats small enough to sit on my desk under a monitor.

Of course at temperatures over 10C I start to malfunction. I dont know why but parts of me stop working. Its weird.

One thing I dont miss on the Switch is the noise. The fan at full pelt is barely noticable and of course no drive noise either. PS4 though? Heats the room up and is stupidly loud. That BluRay especially. Sounds like its choking!

Octane

@YummyHappyPills The PS4 is dual-voltage, they can take anything from 100V up to 240V. Your European console will work fine in the US with a US power cable (or even one of those plug converters), the power adapter in the console itself is a worldwide standard.

https://i.stack.imgur.com/srZyg.jpg

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic