Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 3,341 to 3,360 of 3,380

LN78

@kyleforrester87 I get that but you must understand why other people like them. It's not a big mystery or anything.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

PSN: Lanooch

kyleforrester87

@LN78 Your taking my point to the extreme for some reason - of course I can understand why they might like it in the context of it being "a huge mega-budget Indiana Jones style adventures", but then if I was so inclined I could also say Indiana Jones sucks and I don't understand why people like him or the movies either, plus mega-budget means soulless over produced junk, and this would be an entirely valid opinion.

Do you have a stinky foot fetish? Do you understand why hundreds of thousands (?) of people do?

I know you understand what I am trying to say, and are just being a bit awkward, and I'm fine with that

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

LN78

@kyleforrester87 I kind of didn't get what you meant which is why I brought it up. I wasnt being awkward at all. Sorry for the misunderstanding,I guess.

LN78

PSN: Lanooch

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Oh that's definitely no doubt a factor too @kyleforrester87 , hearing all the praise about it for twenty or so years before finally getting round to play it definitely didn't help.

I have no doubt that it was revolutionary for the time (Particularly us Brits as it was the first Final Fantasy game we got) and can definitely understand why people love it so but it just didn't set my world alight sadly.

I've only played Uncharted 3 of the series.

... It was ok I guess. Some nice set pieces like the plane in the desert and the ship but to be honest I barely remember the story at all...

Haven't even played The Last Of Us.

No doubt I'll probably only think that's ok when I eventually get round to it

Edited on by Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Ya don't need to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all ya need is something simple, like someone to take care of - Aigis Persona 3

PSN:GoddessFoxy-E

》My No Commentary PS4 Youtube Channel《

kyleforrester87

@LN78 Well I hope my poor explanation made some sense then. I can say the same thing about the Star Wars movies, I honestly think it’s total rubbish, of course I can understand why people like it, but then I question why they might rate it higher than other franchises which I think are much better. That’s where my lack of understanding on the matter comes from.

To apply that to Uncharted, I can’t understand why people prefer them to the newer Tomb Raider games, which I think are fundamentally better.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Yeah, Peach is a boss in Mario Bros. 2 (which is certainly better than the real SMB2, which is so difficult that it ceases to be any fun to play). I don't know if you've ever heard of Super Mario 3D World on Wii U, but it's a co-op enabled 3D Mario game, and Peach actually returns as a playable character with her floating ability intact!

RE: Mario Galaxy, it's no exaggeration to say that it's the game that made me passionate about gaming again after the seventh console gen almost killed my interest in the medium (my two favorite genres on the PS1/PS2 were survival horror and the JRPG, and both were withering on the vine and being replaced by boorish Western action games, which had a tremendous effect on me). It was also the first major Nintendo game I'd seriously engaged with since playing the NES as a child, so it functioned as a sort of induction into a new gaming world that I'd pretty much ignored until that point (with the exception of Pokemon games, which I was a huge fan of, even as a Playstation devotee; I pretty much owned my N64 JUST to play Pokemon Snap/Stadium/Hey You, Pikachu!/etc.).

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy wrote:

Haven't even played The Last Of Us.

No doubt I'll probably only think that's ok when I eventually get round to it

You're not missing much if you're not hugely impressed with heavily cinematic games and/or you've ever read/watched another post-apocalyptic drama in your life and are familiar with the tropes.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

PSN: Ralizah

Th3solution

@kyleforrester87 @LN78 I love the Uncharted series, but I can’t seem to catch the passion people have for The Witcher 3. Perhaps I tried it at the wrong time and I do intend to try to get back at it one day, but I was expecting a transcendent experience that made my life complete, but after 5 or so hours I got distracted away. Maybe expectations is a big part of the issue. I guess we all have those weird mental blocks for games that the populace adores but we can’t quite understand the allure. Undertale is another one of those for me (reminded about this game in the indie article today). I can’t wrap my head around why that game has such a cult following.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

KALofKRYPTON

@Th3solution
I find myself easily distracted away from most games - rare to find something that really gets it's hooks in if I'm honest.

Regarding Undertale only ended up playing it as my daughter asked for it last Christmas - I think it came along at the right time. Before people started to tire of the 8-bit look and the sharp writing coupled with deceptively simple gameplay were a bit of a surprise. It's quite a nice game really.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

I have heard of 3D world... In hindsight @Ralizah I should've realised that's why it's called 3D World... as World was already taken! 😂

Huh... seems to that point we had quite a similar relationship with Nintendo up to that point with the Wii!

Though I only got an N64 a few years back just for Pokémon Stadium, and the neat Special edition Pikachu N64 for £30

I found Witcher 3 to be pretty good @Th3solution but not completely jaw dropping like most do. The combat is a bit lacklustre but it's got some great writing!

Which is kinda how I feel about Undertale as well. Good but not great. Undertale has great music as well though

Ya don't need to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all ya need is something simple, like someone to take care of - Aigis Persona 3

ZeD

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I too tried to play the Witcher 3 multiple times and I do not see what the big deal is. People rave that the characters and story are next to none but I never saw what they meant. Basic boy chases girl story with characters with as much emotion as a potato. Each to their own.

I couldn't get past the 1st half hour on Undertale. Did not hook me in.

Edited on by ZeD

Staff Writer @ www.otakugamers.uk
PSN: zedmayer
115 Platinums
Latest Platinum : Slayaway Camp (PS4)
Working On: Patapon/Game of Thrones/Grim Fandango

PSN: zedmayer | Twitter:

kyleforrester87

I've got 60-70% through Witcher 3 a few times and can't stomach anymore, most of your time is spent chasing way points in a straight line. I guess I could have messed with the options in that regard.

I completed Undertale (the "first run" anyway) - I didn't understand the praise either, couldn't be bothered to try again!

kyleforrester87

Kidfried

@kyleforrester87 I will go even farther than you, and say RPGs are one of the genres that have gotten worse over time, rather than better.

There are still good RPGs releasing, sure, but... I think someone who gets into gaming today will have more fun playing the 90s classics than RPGs from the 00s.

Kidfried

Kidfried

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I was trying to say I agreed with you. The 'fight me' was aimed at those who declare it the GOAT. O:)

Also, I had fun playing it by the way!

Kidfried

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Oh sorry @kidfried my bad! 😂

And as for the JRPG/RPG comment i'd have to disagree to a point... Most my favourite's are 2000's.

Shin Megami Tensei Noctune/Lucifer's call and the Digital Devil Saga games are great 00's RPG's alongside FFX/XII!

And depending how broad we're going.... Dark Cloud/Chronicle, Fallout New Vegas, Oblivion & Demon's Souls are all good (actiony) RPG's too lol

Though it's not been as good the past few years for rpg's barring a few titles

Edited on by Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Ralizah

@Kidfried Console JRPGs may not be quite up to the heights of their late 90s/early 2000s glory days, but, considering how thoroughly gutted the genre was last gen (as were pretty much all genres I enjoy: God, I hated last gen), I consider the way they've rebounded nothing short of a miracle. It's part of the general resurgence of Japanese home console gaming the last few years.

Too bad S-E is still apparently incapable of making a normal, decent Final Fantasy game.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

PSN: Ralizah

Kidfried

@Ralizah @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I wasn't trying to make a case that 00s didn't have good RPGs/JRPGs. But I do think that a game like Chrono Trigger has aged better than most RPGs from that era.

Kidfried

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic