Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 681 to 700 of 1,130

Tjuz

@RogerRoger I'm actually playing through the LEGO Harry Potter Collection with my brother currently. We've been at it for a while and are still only in year 5, but it's enjoyable enough! Not sure there'd be another LEGO licensed game I'm interested in, though. I did play and enjoy some LEGO Lord of the Rings years ago, but I don't think I ever finished that. LEGO Rock Band was my jam on the DS, although that was nothing like the others obviously. Tried a few others here and there but none of them really stuck.

Tjuz

RogerRoger

@Tjuz Fair enough! None of the three you mention would interest me, either, so it's definitely dependent on you caring about the franchise being represented. Just thought I'd mention them!

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Tjuz

I've got another request for recommendations! This time not for co-op, but for myself. I decided to pull the trigger and subscribe to PS Now a couple of days ago. I already have downloaded most of the PS4 games that interest me, but there's obviously a huge back catalogue of PS3 games to stream on there. I'm looking for the ones I should give a shot. There's obviously the flagship franchises like God of War, Ratchet & Clank etc. on there, but what are some of the more obscurer ones to look out for too? If there's PS4 remasters available for a game, I'd prefer to play that version since they're usually the definitive version of the games. Stuff like BioShock and the Arkham games are therefore games I'd prefer to save for when I get the remastered PS4 collections for those.

I also made a (hopefully mostly) comprehensive list of games I've completed in the past, so if you would care to take a look at that maybe you'll be able to get a taste of the kind of games I like and might enjoy. There's a link to that here. I'm open to trying new things though, unless they're horror games. Warning, I'm definitely not as expansive with my completed games collection as I'm sure most of you are!

I did try Red Dead Redemption on PS Now, although that didn't run very well. I wasn't sure if it was my internet or PS Now at first, so I checked out Dishonored on PS Now as well (since I've already completed that) and that ran perfectly fine. I do know RDR already had problems on PS3 compared to it's XB360 counterpart though, so would getting it on PS3 natively help at all or is that just the PlayStation experience for RDR?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help! A bit of an overwhelming amount of games to choose from, haha.

Tjuz

Th3solution

@Tjuz Red Dead Redemption ran fine on my PS3.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Jaz007

@Tjuz Let's see, I'd give the first AC a shot. It's old, but I actually might think it's better than the other pre-unity games I've played (2 and Brotherhood.) The story easily outclasses Ezio's in my opinion and the combat is honestly more fun and responsive. The focused story is the main thing though, because it's really good and well thought out. It had much more artistic depth than Ezio's.
If you like James Bond, give 007 Bloodstone a shot.
You must get the Sly Cooper Trilogy. I'd wager 2&3 are still the best platforming games ever made.
inFamous 1&2 are excellent and have an amazing story.

Backkoggery ID: Jaz007

Th3solution

@Tjuz Outside of Red Dead Redemption, nearly all my favorite PS3 games have been remastered and released on PS4: TLOU, UC1-3, Tomb Raider, Dragons Dogma, Skyrim, Bioshock 1&3, Batman Arkham City/Asylum, Assassins Creed 2/Ezio collection.

The few that haven’t been released on PS4 are: Mass Effect 2/3, MGS4, KOA Reckoning, and Borderlands.

So when I look at each in further detail —
Mass Effect trilogy - these games absolutely need a PS4 release. And they are not on PS Now. Besides, it looks like you played them on PC already
Metal Gear Solid 4 - unfortunately, not on PS Now. Fantastic game though and a must play. Also needs a PS4 release, but not gonna happen. Stupid Konami.
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Not on PS Now either! (seeing a pattern here?) Also this needs a PS4 remaster. THQ Nordic just bought the rights so maybe we’ll see something done with this. Yeah, right. Who am I kidding... It’s THQ Nordic. 🙄

And so the one and only game from my PS3 favorites (besides RDR) that I can think of that meets your criteria of being available on PS Now and also not having a PS4 version too is...
Borderlands.
And honestly, BL2 is a better game and can be played on PS4 (And Vita!) But the first Borderlands is worth a look. I don’t even like FPS, and I quite enjoyed BL1/2 for their great art style, fun open world, smooth gameplay, humor, and myriads of guns to loot. Very good in co-op, although I’m not sure if PS Now supports co-op.

Edited on by Th3solution

RogerRoger

@Tjuz I'll second @Th3solution in saying that Red Dead runs fine on PS3. I played it from disc earlier in the year and never encountered anything beyond pretty standard, and relatively minor, "large open world trying to load next area and therefore struggling to maintain steady framerate" moments.

I'll also leap to point out that whilst the core Rocksteady Arkham trilogy is all available on PS4 (and despite some comments to the contrary, the Return to Arkham remasters are just fine), prequel entry Batman: Arkham Origins isn't and probably won't ever be. I do believe it's on PS Now, though, if Wikipedia is correct (so that's a big if, then). If you get the chance, play it. It's my personal favourite of the Arkham series in terms of story, character, atmosphere, boss fights and music, and you won't encounter any spoilers ahead of the core trilogy.

Making It So Since 1987

Tjuz

@Jaz007 I believe I actually tried the first Assassin's Creed on PC a while back, but I was unable to get into it. I also own Black Flag on PS3, and the same happened there. At this point I'm honestly more interested in the recent more RPG-ish ones, but I have heard differing things on the Ezio trilogy so if I'm going to pick up an ''old school'' Assassin's Creed game, it'd probably have to be the Ezio Collection on PS4.

I don't think 007 Bloodstone is available on PS Now, but I'll give it a look. I can always buy it retail since I still have my PS3! The Sly Cooper trilogy and first two inFAMOUS games are definitely on PS Now though, and I've always been somewhat interested in them, so I'll be sure to give them a try. Thanks!

@Th3solution Yup! I have played Mass Effect on PC. Easily my favourite games. I do own the entire MGS franchise (or at least, the main line ones) on PS3, and am currently on the third one. Definitely planning to move onto the fourth after finishing that one. I have heard of Kingdoms of Amalur, but never looked into it beyond the cover. I'll give that a second look (and just get it on PS3 or PC if I end up wanting to play it). I think I have a demo of that on Origin actually. I actually have played quite a bit of the first Borderlands in co-op, but never got into the second one because my PC couldn't handle it. I'll have to give it a shot solo on PS Now. Thanks!

@RogerRoger I definitely have seen Batman: Arkham Origins while scrolling in PS Now. I have been planning to get into those games proper at some point, but I always figured I'd just not play Origins since most people claim it's the worst of the four! Interesting you think otherwise. Could I actually play it before the trilogy? I understand there's no spoilers for the main trilogy, but does it rely on me knowing characters from previous games like i.e. Metal Gear Solid (which is why you shouldn't play those chronologically)?

@RogerRoger @Th3solution Sounds like it's just a PS Now thing with RDR then. That's a shame. I'll just pick it up for PS3 then, probably combine my purchase with Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, since that's also not playable on PS Now but I desperately want to give that a shot. Thanks!

Tjuz

Th3solution

@Tjuz I forgot about Enslaved. Yeah, that’s a good one. A bit of a cult classic. It didn’t sell well and was a commercial disappointment, but I quite liked it.

RogerRoger

@Tjuz Yeah, as @Th3solution says, Enslaved is a decent game. Doesn't run amazingly well on PS3, but well enough to be enjoyable. Worth your time, for sure.

As for Arkham Origins, please bear in mind that my opinions are often considered "weird" and so you're right when you say that most people think of Origins as the weakest of the Arkham games. It was rushed to meet a deadline and there are a couple places where it shows, most notably in terms of some screen-tearing when crossing the map and a few framerate stutters when asking the game to think. It was far worse at launch, and I think that's why many people reacted against it.

Beyond that, though, it's near-perfect. The story and atmosphere are phenomenal, as is the music and voice acting. There are a few characters who pop up who you'd previously seen in Asylum and City, but it's not like they say "one day I'm gonna..." or anything; it's a pretty isolated prequel, with the dots connected by the fans going "hey, cool" rather than the game signposting everything. Anything else is covered by simple general knowledge of Batman lore, so if you've ever watched a film or read a comic, it's got nothing that'd surprise you; it's just how it tells the story which is so special.

The only thing that might be a little back-to-front is that they didn't wanna devolve the gameplay too much, so Batman's arsenal of gadgets and abilities is quite large, much larger than it was in Asylum or City, including some things he creates or discovers in those games; it's a minor continuity point, but they do their best to cover it (one of those tough "story vs. gameplay" decisions).

But it's my favourite bat-game of all time and I do keep a tiny flicker of hope burning for the day WB Games turn around and say "Arkham Origins Remastered is a thing" because with the performance issues fixed, it'd rapidly approach a 10/10 experience for me (and I have so very few of those).

Making It So Since 1987

Jaz007

@Tjuz @RogerRoger I’ll second this. The gameplay wasn’t as good as City or Knight, but that’s not an insult Origins has a fantastic story, which I’d wager is equal to Asylim, or better. It has a better ending for sure. I thought it was a really good game well worth playing.

Backkoggery ID: Jaz007

Tjuz

@beemo I have heard nothing but good things about Mafia 2, so I'll definitely have to check it out. Thanks!

@RogerRoger @Jaz007 I'll have to give Batman: Arkham Origins a shot then! I suppose I'll play that on PS Now (if it runs properly) and then I can always get Return to Arkham after. Thanks!

I'll make sure to pick up a retail copy of Red Dead Redemption over the badly running PS Now version. Don't want to annoy myself to death! Since I'm planning to do that I've been looking into some other cheap PS3 games as well, like Enslaved: Odyssey to the West as I mentioned earlier. Might as well make it a combo-purchase and keep the shipping costs down. I'm also thinking I could bite the bullet on Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and Alpha Protocol. I actually own Alpha Protocol on PC, but it doesn't run well in the slightest and is a pain in the ass with a mouse instead of controller. Any opinions on those games?

Tjuz

Kidfried

Arkham Origins... I'm curious how well that game runs streaming, as the combat is pretty fast! Especially the boss fights.

Kidfried

RogerRoger

@Tjuz Metal Gear Rising runs brilliantly on PS3; I recently replayed it and had a blast, it's awesome. Can't go wrong there, absolutely not. As for Alpha Protocol, I'm afraid to say that its performance issues are software-related, not hardware; it runs pretty poorly on PS3 as well. If you prefer a controller over a mouse, then it's probably the better version to play, but don't expect a silky-smooth framerate and super-clear textures. It's still playable (to the point where I still love the game, would adore a sequel or remaster) but you've gotta be able to overlook a few rough edges.

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@Kidfried Blimey... can you imagine trying to fight Deathstroke or Lady Shiva with a poor internet stream? It's why I'm still praying for that never-gonna-happen remaster.

Making It So Since 1987

Tjuz

@Kidfried I'll be sure to report back on how it runs once I try it out! Seems like there's varied experiences, considering Dishonored worked fine but RDR ran terribly.

@RogerRoger Good to hear Metal Gear Rising is a great game! I'm not all that familiar with the fighting games genre, but I do prefer melee combat over shooters so I'm very open to trying it out. Seems like a good starting point, since it's cheap and familiar! One thing, will it spoil anything from the MGS games set before it (which I suppose is all of them)? I have played MGS1 and MGS2, so I'm most concerned about it spoiling something from MGS4 since it stars Raiden. Well, outside of the fact that he survives MGS4 and turns into some cyborg, but that's not all that major.

I don't mind graphics all that much as long as the gameplay, or at least story, is engaging. I'm guessing the framerate isn't unplayable either, but I'm also the person who played Dishonored at 15 - 20 FPS and enjoyed it immensely. The controller/mouse is definitely what concerned me most regarding Alpha Protocol, so trying it out again on PS3 seems like a good way to go if it's not completely unplayable on there!

Also, you mentioned earlier that Batman: Arkham Origins would be a 10/10 game for you if not for some of it's faults. Out of curiosity, what are the games you'd consider 10/10?

Thanks!

Edited on by Tjuz

Tjuz

RogerRoger

@Tjuz Oh, er... yeah, don't play Metal Gear Rising until you've finished MGS4. Buy a copy safe in the knowledge that it's awesome, but don't start it yet. There are a couple of direct spoilers and some general themes and nods in the plot that you won't get without having played MGS4 first.

Given what you just said, I'd definitely recommend Alpha Protocol, then. In its best moments, it can be something really special, particularly with a few playthroughs where you make deliberately-different choices. I've played it three times and I still feel like I haven't seen every possible outcome to every situation. I'm sure the performance won't be an issue.

Blimey, um... I don't know if there's ever been a truly perfect game. There have been things like the fifth and final episode of Telltale's Batman: The Enemy Within that I'd give a 10 to, but without the context of the previous four episodes it's a pretty meaningless number; I just felt the payoff was a crescendo worthy of a 10, but overall the entire season was probably an 8 or 9. I'd also say that compilations like Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection, the Metal Gear Solid HD Trilogy and the Tomb Raider HD Trilogy are worthy of a 10, because I'm judging them as a remaster of excellent quality and value, but none of the three individual games within any of those are a 10 on their own.

I think the only individual game I'd ever give a perfect 10 to is probably Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots because on its own, it comes the closest to perfection, but a lot of my feelings carry the weight of the previous MGS games, so it's kinda similar to the Telltale example. I'm not sure I'd feel the same if I'd played it without having played the others.

Sorry for the rambling non-answer. I could list you dozens of 9s if you'd like.

Making It So Since 1987

Tjuz

@RogerRoger I guess I'll finish MGS4 before playing Metal Gear Rising then! Thanks for the warning. Alpha Protocol definitely has interested me and the only thing that really turned me off it was the controls like I said, so I hope the PS3 can at least provide a better experience with that. Considering you played it three times, I'm sure I'll be fine with a controller!

Wasn't the final episode of Enemy Within completely dependent on the choices you made in previous chapters? Maybe it was just Telltale hyping it up, but I think I remember hearing that the final chapter was vastly different depending on previous choices. If that's the case, I'm impressed they managed to keep a stable quality throughout both resolutions, unless you mean one of the two specifically. Not surprised you think highly of a Batman game though, considering the talks we've had in other threads and comments I've seen you make! Not to discredit your opinion, though. I really enjoyed the first season of Telltale's Batman when it was free with PS Plus earlier this year and I've been meaning to pick up Enemy Within on sale at some point. Good to hear it's great!

I do think that, like with MGS4 or the final episode of Enemy Within, in the case of sequels previous games should definitely be taken into account. It's a bit unfair to really take a sequel and put it in it's own box when the story and gameplay mechanics are most likely building off of previous entries. I'm sure MGS4 would make no sense story-wise if you haven't played the previous games, but is that really a fair point against the game if it's counting on you to have played the previous games? If that was the case, only debuts for franchises could really be classified as 10/10 games. I think the context definitely matters and there shouldn't be an asterisk because there's more to it than just one game, even if it can't quite stand on it's own.

I would ask you for your list of 9s, but I'm not sure I want to give you the task of listing them all since it sounds like you've got plenty! Feel free to throw some my way you deem worthy of mentioning though.

Tjuz

RogerRoger

@Tjuz I've only played The Enemy Within the once; I just felt that the conclusion it provided my choices was absolutely incredible, so I guess it's a kinda personal 10 from me there. I do plan on playing it again but I'm not sure if I'll do everything differently, because I so adored the story they presented me with after I made certain calls. But I did take a peek at some scenes on YouTube afterwards and yeah, there are some pretty huge changes you can engineer for the finale.

But yeah, if you're not a bat-fan, I can totally understand with how you might disagree with my assessment; from a purely analytical standpoint, it was a technically-competent narrative game with excellent voice acting and some uneven pacing, so its components are probably worth a seven or eight.

Fair point about franchise debuts and sequels; I guess I was just thinking about MGS4 and why I reckon it deserves a 10, and everything came back to the moments where it interacts with the Metal Gear legacy, and the emotional impact it had on me because I'd played the previous games back-to-back before I got there. Put it alongside Mass Effect 3 and RiME and you've got a trilogy of games that I'm not ashamed to admit made me cry... like, a lot. Plenty of things make me blink through misty eyes, but full-on weeping, only those three. Which immediately makes me wanna give them high scores, but then I step back and think about the technical elements and gameplay and force myself to be fair and, in the case of MGS4 and Mass Effect 3, I wouldn't have cried if I hadn't played the previous games.

So, what about you, then? Are there any games you'd consider a perfect 10 and, if so, why?

As for my 9s you're right, there are plenty! You just got two more out of me, Mass Effect 3 and RiME. Others that leap to the top of the pile are Horizon: Zero Dawn, Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, Tearaway, the aforementioned Batman: Arkham Origins, Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Generations, LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars, Split/Second: Velocity, James Bond 007: Everything or Nothing and several more Metal Gear games. I'm probably forgetting dozens, though.

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic