After months of speculation and rumours, Sony has officially unveiled its plans for merging its PlayStation Plus and PS Now services under one roof. This new subscription service will retain the PS Plus branding but will be broken down into three tiers. Launching in June, we'll have PS Plus Essential, PS Plus Extra, and PS Plus Premium. We've broken down all three tiers, detailing what each one will give you.
PS Plus Essential — £49.99/$59.99 Per Year
The PS Plus Essential tier is the same as we've known for years past; it'll include all those same benefits like one PS5 and two PS4 titles each month as well as access to online multiplayer. Your current PS Plus membership will be automatically converted into a PS Plus Essential one in June. Then you can choose to upgrade to the higher tiers. PS Plus Essential includes:
- The same features included in the PS Plus subscription as we know it today
Monthly pricing: £6.99/$9.99
PS Plus Extra — £83.99/$99.99 Per Year
PS Plus Extra includes everything from the PS Plus Essential tier alongside nearly 400 downloadable PS5 and PS4 games. At launch, the line-up will include Death Stranding, God of War, Marvel's Spider-Man, Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Mortal Kombat 11, and Returnal.
"We’re working closely with our imaginative developers from PlayStation Studios and third-party partners to include some of the best gaming experiences available with a library that will be regularly refreshed," says Sony.
PS Plus extra includes:
- Provides all the benefits from the Essential tier
- Adds a catalog of up to 400 of the most enjoyable PS4 and PS5 games – including blockbuster hits from our PlayStation Studios catalog and third-party partners. Games in the Extra tier are downloadable for play.
Monthly pricing: £10.99/$14.99
PS Plus Premium — £99.99/$119.99 Per Year
As the most expensive option, PS Plus Premium includes everything from the PS Plus Essential and Extra tiers, and then adds PS3 (and PS5 and PS4 games, if you wish) game streaming on top as well as the ability to download PS1, PS2, and PSP games.
- Provides all the benefits from Essential and Extra tiers
- Adds up to 340 additional games, including:
- PS3 games available via cloud streaming
- A catalog of beloved classic games available in both streaming and download options from the original PlayStation, PS2 and PSP generations
- Offers cloud streaming access for original PlayStation, PS2, PSP and PS4 games offered in the Extra and Premium tiers in markets where PlayStation Now is currently available. Customers can stream games using PS4 and PS5 consoles, and PC.
- Time-limited game trials will also be offered in this tier, so customers can try select games before they buy.
Monthly pricing: £13.49/$17.99
If you already subscribe to PS Now, you will automatically be converted over to the PS Plus Premium tier with no changes to the pricing of your active membership. "In the June timeframe, we’ll begin with an initial launch in several markets in Asia, followed by North America, Europe and the rest of the world where PlayStation Plus is offered. We aim to have most PlayStation Network territories live with our new PlayStation Plus game subscription service by the end of the first half of 2022."