The bizarre saga surrounding PlayStation 5 game Abandoned has taken yet another turn in the past 24 hours as Blue Box Game Studios delays the trailer app associated with the title until Friday. It was originally scheduled to go live on the PS Store tomorrow. This is because of localisation issues, the Dutch developer claims. A tweet confirming the news also said: "The app will kick off with an introduction to get you introduced with it’s purpose and how to use the app."
In response to questioning on the social media platform, the mysterious Twitter account then explains the PS5 app will house "all trailers and gameplay reveals. Each of them will be available in de app once they are individually available. I can confirm that this summer some of them will be available." So there's no guarantee we will actually see anything new from the game at the end of this week. The strange application is simply designed to be the one-stop shop for all things Abandoned.
The next important detail is that the game's supposedly isn't really a PS5 exclusive at all, with the same Twitter profile stating it will launch on PC "eventually". And finally, after numerous messages were sent to his personal PSN account, studio "boss" Hasan Kahraman responded to one request for information with a voice note. He said: "No, the teaser we didn't have a lot of time so Sony wanted something real quick. So we had to show something and that was not the game at all. So the game will be different."
If you're wondering what on earth it is we're talking about, we recommend first checking out our comprehensive overview of the crazy story so far, and then reading through the latest updates from this past weekend. With these latest revelations taken into account, it feels like the conversation is changing to a point where most followers agree Hideo Kojima is in no way involved with this kerfuffle. There are still some believers riding the #TeamReal train, but we think disappointment isn't too far away. Some even think the whole thing could be one big scam.
Let's hope Blue Box Game Studios issues some sort of substantial update on the game in the future because we fear the pre-release drama surrounding Abandoned will prove to be far more entertaining and interesting than the final product. Maybe some proper gameplay could give us some hope. Where do you now fall? Do you still believe Hideo Kojima is behind it all or is this too much of a suspicious situation? Share your thoughts in the comments below.