Forums

Topic: What (Non-PS4) game are you playing??

Posts 981 to 1,000 of 1,992

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Hey, I'm a relative newcomer to Marvel, so give me a chance! I've been a Batman fan since I was in single digits, and I've still only read about a half-dozen of his comics!

In all seriousness, thanks for the heads-up about Miles. As much as I really like Pete, I think he's been over-exposed by too many competing adaptations of late, and so I was planning on doing some research and buying some of Miles' best comics to add to my small collection. I just find him a much more appealing character. Can't wait to play his game on PS5 this summer!

If you don't mind me asking, which titles would you recommend to a semi-casual fan who's looking to buy a small handful of self-contained storylines?

@colonelkilgore Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Dead Space 3 rushed to market and then left in a somewhat-unfinished state? Not trying to dampen your enjoyment of the game, but have you noticed any cut corners anywhere? Or does it hold up well enough?

Also, best of luck meeting that deadline! I'm sure it's do-able for you!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

TFW you've never read any Marvel comics of any sort.

My superhero comic exposure is pretty much limited to Batman, outside of independent series that are usually meant to deconstruct the whole concept.

@crimsontadpoles Ultra Despair Girls is a really good spinoff. It did the impossible and made me go from not being able to stand Toko to actually sort of looking forward to scenes with her in them.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

@RogerRoger For Miles Morales, you’d probably be best grabbing key storylines, so just seeing how you get on with his first appearance. The only problem is that his introduction is linked to a massive spoiler and then his whole Ultimate arc is linked to the rest of the universe. You honestly might be better jumping in with his introduction in the main Marvel universe, somewhat unoriginally titled ‘Spider-Man’. It’s all about finding the right place to jump on as it’s a never-stopping train ride. Perhaps @TheFrenchiestFry could add something?

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

colonelkilgore

@RogerRoger I don’t know... I haven’t played 1 or 2 (I’ve only started with 3 as it has online trophies, so I want to get them out of the way) so I wouldn’t be able to discern whether 3 is less ‘finished’ that the first two. I was always under the impression that 3 got a lot of hate due to micro-transactions and more action, less horror game play.

It may well be that I’m pleasantly surprised by it due to my low expectations going in though.

And in regards to Marvel, a lot of the early Ultimate runs were pretty good actually (I absolutely LOVED The Ultimates back when Millar was writing it, and early Ultimate X-Men and Ultimate Spidey were very good too). My suggestion to anyone new to Marvel though is read all of the Annihilation and Annihilation Conquest books... and then just keep going through to Annihilators!

**** DLC!

RogerRoger

@nessisonett @colonelkilgore Thanks for the comics pointers, guys. I'll do some browsing on Amazon later and see what's available. Spidey is definitely my Batman, in terms of being a potent gateway drug to a wider universe which interests me in wildly varying degrees, so I often have to accept that my scattershot approach isn't gonna help me understand every single reference in every single comic (or game, for that matter; I finished Ultimate Spider-Man last night and whilst its story did have a semi-definitive ending of sorts, I still felt as though I'd only managed to reconstruct half of the puzzle's picture).

@colonelkilgore Ah yes, I think that was it. I knew there was some controversy surrounding how EA handled Dead Space 3, but couldn't recall details. You're right, sometimes ignorance is bliss when it comes to such things. Here's hoping you find the fun!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

Funny enough i've ended up playing Ultra Despair Girls myself @crimsontadpoles.

I'd been feeling kinda aimless the past week or so with my gaming (Despite enjoying it I was only playing a level a day of Rayman legends by the end) and I ended up flicking through a whole bunch of titles on my PS4 (Including doing a run of School mode in Danganronpa 1 for no real reason) before putting on Ultra Despair Girls that just ended up clicking with me.

Got to chapter 3 yesterday.

@Ralizah I think I said to you before when I bought it last year and gave it a little go that the whole villains being kids made it rather hard going for me... And goodness gracious it is difficult at times for me 😥

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

TheFrenchiestFry

@RogerRoger My personal recommendation for Miles Morales specifically would be the new run that came out after he was integrated into the main Marvel continuity

There's a clear distinction in the way he was written pre-Secret Wars and post-Secret Wars, and I think especially after Secret Wars, the other multimedia stuff, particularly Spider-Man PS4 and ITSV, attempted to swerve him away from how he used to be written under Bendis and closer to the stuff that came out after he was integrated into the main 616 Marvel Universe

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

RogerRoger

@TheFrenchiestFry Thanks for the input; interesting to know that his wider popularity has triggered some slight alterations to his character. I suppose that can be quite common in comics. I'm grateful for the background, as it'll help me identify what's what when I'm browsing.

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

Had some great fun revisiting Fight Night 2004 on PS2. So much nostalgia from just the opening video! I sifted through boxers I made back in about 2004 with names like ‘Jobbie Muncher’ and instead made a new boxer with the nickname ‘Pretty Boy’ and made him incredibly attractive by 2004 standards. Might just see how far I can take him in between chapters of Fire Emblem 4.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Master_Rid

Bravely default 2 - Switch
Baldur's Gate 3 - PC

Master_Rid

Kidfried

Playing Control right now, working my way through the DLC. I just hate this game so much sometimes.

Kidfried

Kidfried

This Control game can go bleep itself.

Kidfried

RogerRoger

@Kidfried Ouch. Having read a lot of average-to-good thoughts on Control, I'm wondering what it's done to evoke such a strong negative reaction from you?!

Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

@RogerRoger It's definitely an average to good game. And I enjoyed my time with it, mostly. It's Twin Peaks-lite in a way; it's less unsettling, and also less goofy. It does have a plot that is equals part convoluted, weird and mysterious.

I would advice against playing The Foundation DLC, though. I'm working my way through it because of the trophy (percentage), but I haven't liked my time with that too much. Everything the DLC adds is just so inconsequential, from the gameplay to the story as well as its locations.

And even though the DLC is short (about 5 hours), when nothing about it is exciting, things will start to drag quick enough. And that's kind of what happened to me. I died a few times too many trying to implement some of the expansion's new tricks, and it just frustrated me to the core.

Kidfried

Th3solution

@Kidfried Yeah, that sounds a bit discouraging. I was looking forward to it on PS5. I’ll probably still play it since it’s free and due to the reputation and GOTY accolades, but it sounds like it might not be masterpiece I’d hoped! Do you need to have any knowledge of Alan Wake to get the most out of it? I’ve never played that game and I read somewhere that especially the DLC is highly related to AW

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution That is the second dlc, AWE which you are referring to. I've not played any of the dlc, but in the main game the AW stuff is like easter egg content, so you are not missing much if you've not played the AW game.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@Kidfried Yeah, when a short game still drags, you know it isn't working out. I'm sorry to hear it frustrated you so badly, and that it all comes across a bit underwhelming. Here's hoping you can clear it without too much more rage, if you haven't already.

I didn't claim it when it was "free" on PS Plus, so I won't be rushing to it myself.

Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

@Th3solution @RogerRoger I'll be back with a review or something as soon as I wrap up all the game's trophies. I feel like I won't be able to do justice to how I think about this game without becoming verbose, heh.

@Th3solution Like @JohnnyShoulder said, in the base game references to Alan Wake are merely easter eggs. The game's plot doesn't rely on any of the lore from that game. It references Alan Wake in the same way as it will reference other Remedy games and other pop culture (like Twin Peaks).

The AWE is something different. I haven't finished it yet, but I can already tell you that if you ever plan on perhaps playing Alan Wake, you should stay away from this DLC. It will definitely spoil that game's plot. Knowledge from that game will definitely increase your enjoyment of its story, otherwise you might see it as just as inconsequential as the other DLC.
That being said, the DLC is short as well. If you are not interested in Alan Wake, you can still play this game, pick up on that game's backstory, and accept that you're going to miss out on a few things. Or you can skip the DLC entirely, it's not essential.

Kidfried

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic