Forums

Topic: What (Non-PS4) game are you playing??

Posts 961 to 980 of 1,988

Ralizah

@RogerRoger @Thrillho I mean, it's funny when it begins, and there's unicorns and you're getting into big boss battles against the three pigs after blowing their house down, and a barely fictionalized version of the Little Match Girl has turned into a hardened drug dealer, and so on, but it shouldn't be part of the main quest. I go into main quests with a different mindset than I go into side-quests. The game literally lifts you out of a thrilling, near-apocalyptic scenario and dumps you into this weird situation for god knows how long, which kills the pacing.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

@Ralizah Yeah, that's just jarring. I mean, in all fairness, I'm judging something I haven't played, but your description makes me think I'd be similarly thrown by such a seismic shift.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@RogerRoger So, before all this, an army of vampires has descended on a populated city and is massacring everyone on the orders of a Higher Vampire who was tricked by the woman he loved into committing horrible acts. Geralt and a friend are desperately hunting for this woman so they can bring her to the Higher Vampire and stop the full-scale slaughter of human civilians. You discover she's locked in this magic book. And then... poof! Unicorns, little match girl, the whole shebang. It's PROFOUNDLY jarring.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

@Ralizah Okay, with such context, I retract my previous post's caution. That's insane!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Pditty1980

iv been playing Super Mario 3D World + Bowsers Fury on the switch, its fun!

Pditty1980

TraCuz-

@Pditty1980 Yeah man their great, I'm liking Ori more than I thought I would. I heard all the praise about Will of the Wisps, I was gonna jump straight in but I decided I should honor Ori by playing the origin story.

I had an N64 but I missed out on Gamecube and Wii so I never experienced Sunshine or Galaxy, Mario 64 is one of my favorites of all time and Odyssey is really giving a run for its money. I just finished up New Donk City and I'm in some beach kingdom now. I'm sad that their taking the Mario anniversary pack off the store in March, I'm hoping to be able to pick it up before they remove it.

I got on the Hades train pretty late, I got it a little bit before the game awards because I wanted to see what the hype was about. I've played about 10 hours and early on I can tell why so many people love this game. The combat is really fun and can be challenging, but they're always empowering and rewarding you so it's pretty satisfying to play. I find it impressive how the story is told in between escape attempts and characters even remember things you've done.

Currently Playing:

Rainbow 6: Siege, Kingdom Hearts 2 (1st time), Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

PSN: TraCuz-

colonelkilgore

@TraCuz- I’m really shocked there has been such radio-silence over Hades on PlayStation (& Xbox)... they’d make so much bloody money!

**** DLC!

TraCuz-

@colonelkilgore Well they already announced that Hades is coming to Game Pass, so it's just us on PSN that's left out xD

Currently Playing:

TraCuz-

@colonelkilgore Yes they did my friend, but I can't imagine it not coming over. Sony's one of the reasons indie games shine how they do

Currently Playing:

nessisonett

Like an absolute madman, I’ve started another file in Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War. I bought a repro cart with the English translation on it a while back which isn’t really like giving my money to Nintendo but eases my conscience. It’s a sort of great game, with a truly dark story and some cool gameplay mechanics, while also having utterly dreadful mechanics and some dull af maps.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

I'm tackling two of my resolutions at once, by playing inFAMOUS 2 on PS3.

First impressions are strong. It's a beautiful new map which runs really smoothly, and the presentational upgrade with regards the returning characters and ongoing storyline is very welcome (since that's one of the areas I felt slightly lacking in the original). I also like the new Amp melee weapons and its finishers, which gives me more options in combat and encourages experimentation. I can't access some of its online features, since I'm playing disconnected, but I doubt I'm missing much and can always take a post-game peek when syncing my trophies at the end.

Because I like it, I'm going for Good Karma and playing like a hero. I did the same before, and so have carried over a few bonuses from a recognised save file, but would've been tempted by the Dark Side had it not grabbed me early on. Kept playing longer than I'd planned, too, and will continue later.

Making It So Since 1987

colonelkilgore

@RogerRoger I played Infamous 2 around 8 months ago, it is so good. As someone who wasn’t as ‘bowled-over’ by Insomniac’s Spider-man (sure I liked it well enough but it is towards the bottom half of the PS4 1st Party exclusives imho) I actually enjoyed Infamous 2 more and is possibly my favourite Superhero game ever (it’s between this and Arkham Asylum, which I much prefer over City).

Haven’t played the two PS4 Infamous games (I have them and have scheduled them in for next year) but going off the two PS3 games it is a really good franchise.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

RogerRoger

@colonelkilgore I played the first inFAMOUS back in 2019. I'd purchased all the others right alongside it, with the intention of working through them in sequence, but other things came up and I got sidetracked long enough to forget that yeah, I'd had some fun. Coming back to its sequel now, I'm remembering all the good stuff, and most of the bad seems to have been fixed, or polished at the very least. It's just so ridiculously playable, if that makes sense.

I played Spider-Man last year and was blown away, but that's only because I like glossy superhero fluff and had recently "got" the Spidey character, after being a DC purist for most of my life.

Speaking of, you're right, Arkham Asylum is head and shoulders above City.

By the time you're ready to tackle the PS4 games, I might've gotten around to them. I'll try and remember to tag you with some thoughts. A friend played Second Son last year and sent me a couple of good-lookin' screencaps, said it was a ton of fun.

Making It So Since 1987

colonelkilgore

@RogerRoger it is hugely ‘playable’, traversal into combat and back into traversal is just so smooth.

**** DLC!

RogerRoger

I'm playing Ultimate Spider-Man on my trusty ol' PS2.

Part of me doubted whether I'd enjoy another sandbox superhero game so soon after inFAMOUS 2 but I'm real glad I booted it up, because I'm having a blast. It's basically Spider-Man 2 but better, in almost every way. Swinging feels fine-tuned, the busywork grinding goals have been shortened, and the side quests have been simplified. The map has also been expanded to include a small slice of Queens, providing some environmental variety. It's incredibly difficult in parts (some story missions have demanded multiple restarts, and the semi-optional races are just... urgh, has any open-world game ever had good races?!) but for the most part, I always feel like it's my fault when I fail, and that makes it okay.

You also get to play as Venom, which is ridiculously cathartic. His health bar is constantly diminishing, so you need to periodically eat people in order to replenish it; when the tutorial for this mechanic made me eat one of the annoying balloon kids from Spider-Man 2, I knew this was the game for me!

It's closely connected to the comic run of the same name, which I never read, so the info-dump opening kinda flew over my head, but the cel-shaded graphics look sublime and the cutscenes are miniature works of art, no matter how brief. I also mean no disrespect to Hollywood stars who are forced to do voiceover work (whether they're actually any good at it or not... sorry, Tobey Maguire) but it's so nice to hear a professional cast of voice actors at work.

Quite the hidden gem. If the story pans out, this could be one of Spidey's finest.

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger I can’t believe you’ve never read the Ultimate Spider-Man comics! Bendis might be Marmite for some people and the Ultimate universe is extremely hit and miss but the Spider-Man ones were brilliant. Miles Morales was later introduced in that imprint and it all started from there!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

colonelkilgore

Started Dead Space 3 back last month as a ‘second game’ but as things were coming to a head on attaining the Dying Light Platinum, DS3 kinda took a back seat. I’ve now promised some guy that I will be done with my first Dead Space 3 playthru by March 16th though so we can do the co-op sections together... so I’m back chipping away at it for an hour after work each day (AC: Black Flag on PS4 is my current ‘main’ game when I plough a whole Wednesday in).

It really isn’t a bad game but once I’ve got the co-op sections finished (sometime after March 16th) I’m not gonna have two games on the go at once again (for a while at least). I’ve cut myself a pretty fine schedule and all these little hour sessions after work could be better used making sure I don’t fall behind schedule on getting my back-sequoia back into a mere back-log..

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic