Forums

Topic: What (Non-PS4) game are you playing??

Posts 901 to 920 of 1,987

colonelkilgore

Making some steady progress on MGS: Peace Walker, on Act 5 where you have to continuously find Zardonov after he escapes about 6 or 7 times... and built Zeke so I now have my own Metal Gear. Going straight from MGSV to PW has been interesting in terms of where they stand in the overall series’ chronology, the difference in age of the games and the vast difference in hardware capabilities for the systems that they were each originally designed for. It still holds up pretty well all things considered.

**** DLC!

Thrillho

@colonelkilgore PW was such an amazing game for the PSP and it’s particularly crazy that it was only on handheld for so long given how key the story is in the big picture.

The Fulton system and Mother Base works really well on handheld too and upgrading Zeke by getting parts from repeatedly beating bosses also worked well on a handheld system.

Thrillho

HallowMoonshadow

Oh lord... Seems we both had mediocre/bad gaming experiences yesterday @RogerRoger 😅

Shame to hear that the first Medal Of Honor you've tried of that collection you bought isn't that good. My dad was a big fan of the PS1 games and I seem to recall them being pretty good myself too... I haven't touched 'em in about twenty years or even thought about the series for that long mind you.

Well aside from that one blip a few years back whrre they tried to revive it on PS3 that wasn't well recieved either?

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

RogerRoger

@Thrillho Did you originally play it on PSP, then? I think some of its magic was lost in the transition to PS3, as I really enjoyed it for what it was, but... well, it's the only Metal Gear Solid game that I've never replayed, put it that way. I can imagine its gameplay suits half-hour train journeys better than three-hour evening sessions in front of the television.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy That was Airborne, that other blip. It's one of the ones I just purchased on PC, having stayed away from it before because I'd heard the console version was riddled with bugs and a bad framerate. At least my computer should be able to keep it stable.

But yeah, after revisiting European Assault, I'm starting to wonder whether the series was ever any good post-PSone, or whether it was just riding some very long coat tails. We shall see.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

colonelkilgore

@Thrillho

I imagine it was extremely difficult on PSP what with the one analog stick etc. still must’ve been one of the best games in the system even with that considered.

@RogerRoger

Agreed, most of the missions are quite short, particularly when S ranking them... would be perfect for daily commutes.

**** DLC!

Thrillho

@RogerRoger @colonelkilgore Yeah, I played it on the PSP (one of only a few games I had for it along with MGS: Acid, Pro Evo, Star Wars Battlefront 2, and then a load of PS1 classics via the PS3 store).

It felt like a pretty huge game to be on the PSP and the episodic formate that they used in MGS5 worked well to give it set end points for shorter bursts of play (I found it a bit annoying in MGS5). I'm surprised it took so long to get onto the main consoles.

Thrillho

PSVR_lover

Playing The Complex on my IPAD. It’s an amazing game and some of the best FMV I’ve ever seen and played.

The PSVR is the best VR system on the market today.

RogerRoger

@Thrillho I do feel bad for those who missed out on Peace Walker, or didn't even know it was a thing, despite my lukewarm feelings for it. Suppose that's why they broke off the prologue to MGSV and released it separately, to lay a lot of groundwork for those who didn't have a portable PlayStation to hand.

How is Metal Gear Ac!d, by the way? I keep meaning to start it, but have asked this question of others before, because it feels like a daunting unknown at the moment.

Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

@RogerRoger Crikey, it's probably close to a decade since I played it and I don't think I got very far with it as it wasn't quite what I was expecting and the gameplay didn't click with me at all. Deck building at the RNG elements that come with it aren't my bag baby.

Thrillho

Anti-Matter

1. Pretty Princess Party Switch
2. Wheel of Fortune Switch

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

RogerRoger

@Thrillho Ain't mine, either. That's the daunting unknown for me. I got physical copies of both games about a decade ago "because Metal Gear" and they've sat sealed on my shelf ever since. I know they reviewed well, but I'm scared that I won't like the core gameplay.

My backlog has grown increasingly esoteric in recent months, however, so soon they might end up being one of my less risky options. I'm sure I'll find the fun in them somewhere.

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

I'm not feeling well today, so I reached for some comfort gaming and randomly wound up blasting through the first half of James Bond 007 in... Agent Under Fire on my PS2.

Having played the game to death since 2001, I'm still impressed by how good it ended up being, in light of its troubled development. Half an unfinished The World is Not Enough project and half an original Roger Moore vehicle, you'd think that the resulting collision of these two distinct ideas would be a mess, but it kinda works (although obviously, I'd have personally preferred the latter).

The outlandish story, concerning a plot to replace the G8 leaders with evil clones, is pure Moore, as is the custom animation for Bond to raise his eyebrow at every opportunity. Despite his generic appearance, Bond's dialogue is also firmly in the "charm offensive" column, packed with quips and flirty one-liners which he deploys at anything in a skirt. I also love that the Lotus Esprit is the ultimate secret unlockable for the vehicle levels; the cars it replaces are arguably more famous, and more capable, but it's clear that the developers didn't wanna waste a perfectly good model.

But then you've got the villains, who are blatantly digital incarnations of Elektra and Renard that've been slightly tweaked to circumvent lapsed copyright. There's an on-rails shootout in a giant pipeline, an embassy in Romania looks and feels exactly like Elektra's mansion, and two levels end in submarine docks repurposed from the film's finale. Some computer screens even display textures from the King oil refinery, when it makes zero sense to do so. Almost all of the multiplayer maps are built around the plot point that MI6 relocated to Scotland after the Vauxhall Cross bombing, and one is cobbled together from leftover caviar factory assets. It couldn't be more blatant if it tried.

And yet, it runs smoother and looks sharper on PS2 than almost all of its successors. Its early levels might suffer from unnecessary hand-holding and brevity, but I think I'll return and finish it later, as its second half is when things start to open up. Environments become bigger and bolder, and the first-person stealth shooting takes centre stage, which is great fun.

It's certainly better than Medal of Honor: European Assault, at any rate.

Making It So Since 1987

PSVR_lover

Still playing Tales of the Neon Sea on my iPad. It’s gotten mixed reviews, which it should get. Funny story but the puzzles are pretty mundane. It’s cheap so no complaints overall.

The PSVR is the best VR system on the market today.

RogerRoger

@Thrillho
Untitled

That one was unintentional, but I can totally hear Roger Moore saying it in my head!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I screwed up and got the "bad" mission start point in the penultimate level, so I need to go back and do it properly. Because OCD.

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

I went back to Suikoden on my Vita last night, which I haven’t touched in about a year and a half. I forgot how brilliant it was and also how incredibly obtuse and long winded it was! I think I’m near the end actually, Gremio just died so might finish it in the near future. I also stumbled across a gambling game thing and accidentally made 999999 money in a few minutes. Either that dude’s terrible at dice or I got very very lucky.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

TheIdleCritic

@TheLightSpirit But Connery was the best, and funniest. His look of utter disdain every time he was told Q was about to arrive are some of the best small moments in all the Bond films.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic