Forums

Topic: What (Non-PS4) game are you playing??

Posts 1,561 to 1,580 of 1,988

LtSarge

Started playing Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance on Wii U last night. I don't know if it's because I'm still early on in the game, but I feel like the difficulty is much more reasonable in this game compared to Circle of the Moon. I also really like the concept of finding spell cards and then using them with different subweapons for different attacks.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying the game so far and after having only played CotM for a few hours since I only had the end left, I've been craving more Metroidvania.

LtSarge

LtSarge

I'm halfway through Lego Batman 1 on Xbox 360 and I just have to say, this series has finally clicked with me now. I didn't like Marvel Super Heroes, I didn't like Batman 2. But for some reason, Lego Batman 1 appeals to me a lot. I'm genuinely enjoying my time with this game, it's so much fun and I want to play more Lego games after this one. Compare that to how my opinion of Lego games was last year when I only wanted to play one Lego game every year since they're so repetitive. But I actually like the repetitiveness now. The simplistic gameplay combined with collecting thousands of studs is really addicting.

So I think because the first two Lego games I played were open world, I didn't like the games that much. Lego Batman 1 doesn't have an open world and the gameplay is much simpler than in the later games. On top of that, I also think that playing through one of the older Lego games has made me appreciate the newer ones more. I decided to play the demos of The Force Awakens, Jurassic World and Marvel Avengers and those games feel so much better to play than Batman 1, which makes sense. But I don't think I would've appreciated them as much if I hadn't played Batman 1 first.

In short, my mindset of playing games in order really seems to work out in a lot of these cases. Not only do I have a genuine fondness for Lego games now, but I also like the newer games that most people don't seem to like as much.

LtSarge

RogerRoger

@LtSarge Sounds like a smart approach! Having grown up with the LEGO games and kept current with a select few of their licences, I can totally understand how the impact of their incremental improvements could get lost without some kind of jarring first-and-last comparison. The simplicity of those early titles (the first three Star Wars games, the first Batman and Indiana Jones games, and the Pirates of the Caribbean game) holds a heck of a lot of charm, but it was LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes which broke the mould, chased trends and established the new formula going forward, a formula which LEGO Marvel Super Heroes quickly reinforced. I'm not surprised that you didn't enjoy those two games as much, especially considering that every LEGO game since was comfortable to be the same, only slightly smoother. Going back to LEGO Batman 2 now, it's clear that it's the team's first attempt at making a sandbox. It really struggles on PS3, although the linear levels do okay.

Anyway, I've never played the first LEGO Batman, and doubt I ever will, so I'm pleased to hear that you're enjoying your time with it, and that it's helping you appreciate LEGO games more!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

LtSarge

@RogerRoger I was definitely not expecting to like Lego Batman 1 as much as I thought when going into it. The primary reason why I decided to play it is because it was one of my first Xbox 360 games when I bought my 360 back in 2010. I only played it for about an hour back then though, so I decided to go through it for real this time and ultimately clear one of my oldest backlog games that I have. But now I just want to take my time and enjoy the game, it's such a blast.

I'm also glad that I haven't played many Lego games up until now. After all, most of them are based on other franchises like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park and so on, and it wasn't until in recent years that I've watched these movies. So I feel like I can finally enjoy the Lego games of these series now, which is why I want to continue playing the older titles. I probably want to give Star Wars The Complete Saga or the first Indiana Jones a go next. Even though Skywalker Saga exists now, the levels are different in that game and so I think I can still enjoy both titles. I even want to play The Force Awakens because the entire game is based on one movie, which is appealing to me not only because I liked The Force Awakens movie but also because it being based on a single movie gives it a better focus with its story.

It shouldn't come as a surprise but you really do enjoy these games more if you're actually a fan of each respective franchise. I'm hoping that I'll get in the mood to watch the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit movies soon so that I can play the Lego games of those series as well. I've heard great things about the LOTR game.

LtSarge

RogerRoger

@LtSarge Wow, yeah, twelve years is one heck of a gap! Here's hoping the rest of the game lives up to your current levels of enthusiasm, and that you enjoy wrapping it up!

And you're absolutely right, a lot of the LEGO game similarity and familiarity melts away if you're a fan of the licence its adapting. It's why I didn't list the two Harry Potter games in my previous post; technically I believe they were also fairly straightforward, early LEGO games, but I've no idea because I haven't been a fan of that franchise for a long, long time, so I've never played them and can't speak about them with any authority. You definitely have to pick and choose. It must be awesome discovering all these major movies for the first time, and being able to appreciate their games! I'm a little bit jealous!

Also yes, your plan to play The Complete Saga, The Force Awakens and The Skywalker Saga makes sense, given your newfound appreciation for LEGO games and willingness to play through different adaptations of the same source material. They're all totally unique games, with entirely different approaches to levels, story beats and even characters. I personally didn't find The Force Awakens to be a particularly good game on its own merits, so I hope you have a better time with it than I did!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

XandertheWise

Ive been busy with Xenoblade 3. Currently in the middle Chapter 6 where Ive been bombarded with the sidequests more than dealing with the main story quest.

XandertheWise

XandertheWise

Earlier today i was just thinking about hooking up my old Playstation and start replaying Resident Evil Director's Cut and original Resident Evil 2 before October Halloween time.

That and i still have the Chrysler building in Parasite Eve to finish up on

XandertheWise

RogerRoger

@XandertheWise No love for Resi 3, then?

Making It So Since 1987

XandertheWise

yes I also still have Resident Evil Nemesis for my old Playstatin but Ive played that game enough times years years ago.

I still enjoy Resident Evil Director's Cut along with regular Resident Evil 2.
Wish I had Resident Evil Survivor and Outbreak which I think those games are underrated for old Resident Evil games

RogerRoger wrote:

@XandertheWise No love for Resi 3, then?

XandertheWise

Ralizah

Finally went back to Trails in the Sky SC yesterday, and cleared the entirety of chapter 4, with most of the side-quests done, just a few hours ago, so I'm making good time on it again. Once the upcoming splatfest is over, I'll probably make similarly quick work of chapter 5. Should be able to finish the entire game by the end of October.

So, it's looking like...

Late 2022 - Sky 2
Early 2023 - Sky 3
Late 2023 - Nayuta
Early 2024 - Cold Steel 1
Late 2024 - Cold Steel 2
Early 2025 - Zero
Late 2025 - Azure
Early 2026 - Cold Steel 3
Late 2026 - Cold Steel 4

I'm sure at least a couple more of the games will be localized by then, which means I'll be booked up on Trails games through at least 2027.

Playstation 6 will likely be a thing before I catch up with these games.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

@XandertheWise Fair enough! I often do the same, and will skip my most well-known games when replaying old favourites, because otherwise you're in danger of just playing it on autopilot. That's never fun, and runs the risk of lessening the experience. It was just conspicuous in its absence!

@Ralizah That's one heck of a singular backlog! How will you find time to play anything else?!

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@Ralizah It does feel like the Trails backlog gets bigger every time I try to catch up! Sky 2 is a big step up in my opinion given that it doesn’t have the same rigid structure as the first game. I’m intrigued to see what you’ll make of the third one though as it’s very very divisive. I did like it though as the straight dungeon crawling structure cuts out a lot of the fluff.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ralizah

@RogerRoger In terms of playtime, they'll all range from 1 month (at best) to 3 months (at absolute worst). So, in the worst case scenario, I'd still have half the year to play other games.

@nessisonett See, Sky 2's structure feels vastly more rigid to me. It's literally the same thing every chapter. Go to a new location, see bad thing happening, investigate bad thing, and encounter new enforcer. Wash, rinse, repeat.

With that said, stuff is still happening, so it's quite a bit more entertaining than the first game was, where the entire game was pretty much just a waste, story-wise.

I usually like gameplay-centric titles (SMT V being, like, 90% pure exploration and combat didn't bother me, for example), but the dungeon-crawling isn't very good in this series so far, so I can't say I'm looking forward to an entire game dedicated to that aspect.

RogerRoger

@Ralizah Blimey, that's gonna be a big commitment! I can't imagine being prepared to devote so much time over to a single franch... oh wait, Star Wars exists. Never mind, carry on!

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@RogerRoger James Bond, too, yeah?

I'm probably also going to play one or two Yakuza games a year as well in order to catch up before I turn old and grey. That one is even worse.

In that series, I have...

0, Kiwami 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Like A Dragon, Isshin, and the two Judgment games to get through. Maybe that Fist of the North Star spinoff game as well. And they'll probably have released, like, five more games by the time I get done with those. @_@

Edited on by Ralizah

RogerRoger

@Ralizah And Sonic, and Star Trek, and Batman, and... yeah, shutting up now.

Good grief, buddy! I'd consider Yakuza even more impenetrable than the Assassin's Creed or Final Fantasy series at this point! No matter what happens, your courage is admirable. Might I suggest that, in the last remaining free weekend you'll have between now and retirement, you consider trying to play something that has a definitive ending? Something stuck in rights hell, on long dead hardware, perhaps?

Making It So Since 1987

EliteSlayer

Hi i'm new to push square, just finished tinykin which is a good pikmin clone

EliteSlayer

Fayetta

Just started playing Tales of the Abyss which seems promising so far, have quite a few Tales games but hardly played any yet! I was playing Final Fantasy IV on PSP but have took a break.

Fayetta

nessisonett

Considering that it’s taken me until October 2002 to win my first match of FIFA 2003, expect the review to consist of essentially ‘I have no idea what I’m doing or how this game works’.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

nessisonett wrote:

Considering that it’s taken me until October 2002 to win my first match of FIFA 2003...

Untitled

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic