Forums

Topic: What (Non-PS4) game are you playing??

Posts 1,421 to 1,440 of 1,982

Ralizah

Going on a vacation tomorrow for a couple of weeks. Since the sequel is coming out soon, I'm going to use this opportunity to play through the Nintendo Switch copy of AI: The Somnium Files I've neglected for years now.

Also on the Switch Lite.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

Tomb Raider III’s a bit brutal isn’t it? I’m using save states to essentially save anywhere and it’s still bloody hard. I’m only on the second level which is insanely long and you can’t walk 5 feet without a boulder squashing Lara.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

kyleforrester87

@nessisonett I really like 3 but it is a bit tough in places. No idea how I finished it when I was 13 lol. I always remember the South Pacific area being really hard.

You could try the Japanese version, it's easier - for example the first section they removed the majority of the spikes from the slope you slide down Also it has more items scattered about, save anywhere, less enemy health and the crystals are used to fully restore health.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

RogerRoger

@kyleforrester87 Is that the Japanese PSone version? I had no idea those changes made it over, I thought they were exclusive to the PC version! Aww, I'm properly jealous now!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

kyleforrester87

@RogerRoger As far as I am aware the PC version is the same as the Japanese PS1 version, I think the Japanese PS1 version came with 2 discs actually - the straight western version (without any translation at all, written or verbal) and the easier Japanese version.

Untitled

I reckon her box art pose is a bit cooler than the PAL version too. I am not sure lights ever beam out the windows of St Pauls like that though lol.

kyleforrester87

RogerRoger

@kyleforrester87 Wow, that's awesome! Especially since it was often the other way around, with Japan producing tough games that got themselves altered or replaced in the West (thinking of Super Mario Bros. 2 as the most famous example). I had no idea that's where the PC version's changes came from!

From vague childhood memories of cheating my way through its various levels, I always found London the toughest challenge in Tomb Raider III. Got myself properly lost on more than one occasion!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

kyleforrester87

@RogerRoger Hmm, generally, as I understand, games were actually easier in Japan than the west at least in part since renting is/was illegal there. Where as here they had to be difficult enough to put people off just doing a weekend rental, and get them to go out and buy it instead. I don't know, it's a weird one and you can read a lot of opinions on how/why this sort of stuff happened but I guess some people (including me here) are just regurgitating the same incorrect "facts".

kyleforrester87

RogerRoger

@kyleforrester87 I didn't know that either, about Japan's lack of a rental market. You're teaching me so much today, it's awesome, thank you! That'd definitely make sense, though, considering how tough so many retro games were, and still are. I just figured that the Japanese home market was more successful, Japan being the birthplace of most hardware an' all, and that Japanese gamers were naturally better as a result, and therefore had tougher games made for them. Whatever the reasons, though, Tomb Raider III would've come at the tail end of that divergence (the rental market all but died out during the PS2 era, at least here in the UK) so it might be one of the last examples of the trend.

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@kyleforrester87 Now I wish I had the Japanese version!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Anti-Matter

My Sims Kingdom Wii
I didn't realize if I still haven't touch the Uncharted Island in My Sims Kingdom since years ago.
I thought I have done all the mission and already reached level 5 stars.

Anti-Matter

kyleforrester87

@RogerRoger I think(!) perhaps for Japanese games like Mario, they were released with limited playtesting before an entire country got to do that for them. So by the time they come to release in the West they realised they needed to tune down some of the brutal difficulty that the developers didn't notice... while still ensuring you don't see the credits after a weekend rental. It seems to me that these differences are often attributed to the "taste" of each market, but I dunno, I think that's a bit romantic and the reasoning could be more mundane.

I am sure there is a well researched article all about this somewhere on the net lol.

kyleforrester87

alexbolton2

lately i have been getting back into escape from tarkov, love the hardcore-ness of it it doesnt mess around or hold your hand and i love it

alexbolton2

RogerRoger

@kyleforrester87 I've been having a brief browse around for one, but alas, people seem to wanna talk about individual games rather than broader trends. So yeah, there's plenty of backstory behind Super Mario Bros. 2 as a specific case, and then the footnotes regarding "Nintendo Hard" seem to focus on the what, rather than the why, and discuss difficulty in older games as a general concept.

Making It So Since 1987

LtSarge

After finishing up Judgment, I've been looking to play a JRPG and I decided to resume my playthrough of the first Persona on PSP. I'm playing it on the easiest difficulty setting as it's a challenging game and I'd like to just experience it once since I love the Persona series but I don't really have the patience for these old JRPGs. Anyway, I'm enjoying it so far even though it's not the most exciting JRPG game I've played. It has some interesting themes and a decent story but it's definitely not on the same level as the later Persona games, which is understandable. I just like JRPGs with high school settings in general, so this game is a good fit for me. The music is really good as well. If there's anything about this game that makes it clear that it's a Persona title, it's the unique and catchy tunes which are present in all the later games. So yeah, I'm looking forward to experiencing more of this game.

LtSarge

RogerRoger

After spending some time with the Injustice games recently, a nostalgic memory took hold, and I dug out my old childhood copy of X-Men: Mutant Academy on PSone.

It has not aged well, at all. I remember being obsessed with it as a kid, thinking it was the best fighting game I'd ever played, but it's really bare-bones and simplistic, even by the standards of the day. It's also abundantly clear that it started life as a game based on the comics and cartoons, before somebody came in halfway through development and insisted that it become part of the marketing for the first X-Men movie. As a result, it's a confused mish-mash of characters, designs and elements from all over the mythos, which make little sense when put together. But hey, if you've ever wanted to see a muscle-bound Ian McKellen standing atop a helicarrier, firing blue lasers out of his hands at Gambit, then this is the game for you.

The gameplay itself is competent, if unremarkable, so I suppose die-hard fans might find the fun, but it took me all of thirty minutes to reach my patience's limit. Part of me had always regretted not getting its sequel, and there was a brief moment where I considered buying a copy of it on the strength of my nostalgia alone, so I'm real glad to have revisited the original before wasting any money.

Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger Strange coincidence - I've been playing "X-Men:Children of the Atom" on the Saturn. A few hefty loading screens aside, it's as excellent as you would expect from a Capcom 2D fighter on that system. We must both have been subconsciously inspired by the discussion on the film franchise over in the the movie topic!

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 It must've played a part, yes! Glad you're enjoying Children of the Atom. I've heard good things and, as you say, its pedigree is far more impressive than that of Mutant Academy, which came from the esteemed developer of... [checks]... yikes, the controversial and unreleased Thrill Kill.

I guess that, as far as Marvel superheroes on the PSone are concerned, it's Spidey or the highway.

Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger I remember really enjoying the "Blade" game largely because it had a wonderfully hefty shotgun. It's probably complete rubbish, though.

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 Could be worth a revisit. I recall it getting average-to-good reviews back in the day, at least in the two magazines I used to read. Then again, so did Mutant Academy. I never played Blade for myself, but I'm somebody who would've called Mutant Academy "a solid eight" at breakfast this morning so, regardless, I don't exactly trust my own opinions right now!

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic