Forums

Topic: What (Non-PS4) game are you playing??

Posts 1,401 to 1,420 of 1,988

Anti-Matter

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age Switch
Have obtained Esper Exodus just now.

Anti-Matter

RogerRoger

@crimsontadpoles Ah, that explains those hatches in the floor, then, which are real obvious on PSone yet never popped open for me. Thanks for the heads-up!

I'm not stopping for every secret, though, especially since the challenge feels strangely comfortable with the ones I've naturally stumbled across (which feels like a lot, but I know it's probably only a fraction of what's out there). Having said that, I do like how some of the secret rooms are still trying to kill you, and are mini-puzzles in and of themselves. I reckon I've found most of the "big ticket" items thusfar, like the grenade launcher on the train, and I'm somehow overflowing with medpacks, as well.

Just arrived in Alexandria, but am away this weekend, so we'll see how things go after a short break!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Oof, that’s a hard one to swallow! Still, it shows neither of us are resorting to a guide, although I really should find a PDF of the manual 😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Well, in case you haven't already, this link should help.

I actually have all of the old paperback Prima Official Strategy Guides for the classic Tomb Raider games, as well as The Angel of Darkness, sitting on my shelf. If I have to reach for The Last Revelation at any point, I'll be honest about doing so, I promise!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger I did another brainfart moment already, ran around Venice for about 20 minutes before I worked out that you could shoot the windows! Think I’ll need to restart though, I have 0 health and there’s an enemy with a gun who shoots me on practically the first frame I attempt to go round a corner. Can’t see a way to avoid being hit.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Venice is brutal for surprise enemies. It's a basic progression tactic to run out into a new area, get killed whilst spotting everybody, then make a plan of attack whilst your last save loads. Tomb Raider II is the most combat-heavy of the classics, which is why I'm enjoying The Last Revelation so much (not to brag, apologies) because I think I've killed as many people and animals in the first twelve or thirteen levels as you'll have done by the time you're halfway through Venice. The balance is much better.

Rolling with the Circle button breaks an enemy lock, or at least reduces the chance of Lara being hit. I tend to frantically roll a couple times whilst getting a bead on an enemy, then jump whilst returning fire.

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Rolling repeatedly totally helped! Managed to scrape by that level with a fraction of health. Turns out I’d missed a switch in an earlier area, which means I could have finished the level about half an hour before!

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Ah nuts, bad luck! That'll happen, though. Less so as the series progresses, but the early games are more than happy to let you crack on without clear direction.

Wouldn't be such a headache if the act of actually moving Lara from A to B wasn't so deliberate and dangerous all the time. During the train level of The Last Revelation, I couldn't find the item I needed to progress, and ended up dying a handful of times just backtracking through empty carriages!

Anyway, I'm glad the rolling helped! Makes some fights somewhat comical but hey, whatever works!

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

Alright, I confess, I've checked my strategy guide for Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation. Twice now, in fact, but not because I was stuck without a clue. I had an idea of where I had to go, but the path ahead seemed needlessly tricky or suffered from wonky, unpolished gameplay mechanics and so, after a few frustrating failed attempts, I just had to make sure that my repeated efforts were worthwhile, and that I wasn't killing Lara over and over for nothing. In both instances, I was on the right track, and it was just an alarmingly challenging demand of an otherwise well-balanced, almost breezy adventure.

@nessisonett How have you been getting along with Tomb Raider II this week?

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger I’m onto some sort of sunken wreck now, which has tested my patience with the underwater controls! While I didn’t really enjoy the oil rig, I actually liked the opera house quite a bit. It’s just getting myself back in the mindset of how to approach the classic Tomb Raider games, as they’re quite methodical.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Yep, you're at the point I abandoned my previous playthrough. It's odd, because more often than not I enjoy underwater levels but, after the oil rig, I just wanted to be anywhere else, which points to a potential imbalance in the game's overall pacing. Hopefully I'm wrong, if only for your sake!

Methodical is the right word, for sure. You definitely have to start thinking like it's the late 90s, and forgetting a lot of modern gaming skills, in order to survive. I've also realised that, because of the near-total absence of music and mid-mission dialogue, I'm talking to myself out loud whilst playing, which I never really recall doing before! Lots of inane reactionary stuff like "Ah, that's where this leads!" or "Now that I've got the third key, I'll go back and check that switch!" Perhaps I should be streaming!

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger @crimsontadpoles Thanks to the lack of music or dialogue outside cutscenes, it’s been working well as a game to play while listening to the Doctor Who audio plays on Spotify. Hopefully the underwater sections don’t drag too much!

nessisonett

I think I might be near the end of Tomb Raider II now. Onto the Floating Islands which is basically just me falling off cliffs over and over. The Tibet levels were pretty good and a nice change from underwater levels. I did manage to skip almost the entirety of Temple of Xian as well, with a jump that I wasn’t sure was possible after attempting about 100 times! Ended up finding a video from about 2006 on YouTube that showed me how to approach it.

nessisonett

@kyleforrester87 Xen is exactly what I thought of when I saw the odd neon colours and black void!

XandertheWise

this weekend im playing star wars knights of the old republic and zelda skyward sword and ni no kuni II for my nintendo switch lite while im out of town

XandertheWise

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Sounds like you're making good progress! Glad the underwater levels didn't hold you up, and that you enjoyed surfacing in Tibet. Nicely done finding that exploit to skip a large chunk of the level, as well. Nowadays that probably would've been patched out!

I'm gonna get back to The Last Revelation tomorrow. I tried to continue whilst really tired, but these games aren't modern enough to make that an option. At least I got out of Alexandria in one piece!

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Yeah, I’ve been playing on my Vita in bed and the slightest loss of concentration results in death. Sleepiness is not a good mix with Tomb Raider.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic