Forums

Topic: What (Non-PS4) game are you playing??

Posts 1,441 to 1,460 of 1,988

LN78

@RogerRoger Just had a look and there's actually a "Children of the Atom" conversion on the original PlayStation. It's very pricey though (as every PS1 game I've looked up recently has been) so I won't be doing a side-by-side comparison of the two!

Edited on by LN78

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 Ouch! Although, given the popularity of the property, I'm not surprised it commands such a high sum. It's entirely possible that it might resurface on PSN at some point, considering how quickly various rights change hands nowadays, and how no company feels safe from takeover shenanigans. I'd imagine that the timeless nature of the character designs would keep things simple, as well. No need to worry about expired celebrity likeness agreements or anything.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger A nice CIB copy of "Blade" can be had for significantly under £20 - that breaks the streak! I think I might give it a go.

LN78

nessisonett

@RogerRoger @LN78 In a bizarre coincidence, look what I found out of its box in a cupboard!

Untitled

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LN78

@nessisonett Dear Lord,Ness. That looks like it was recently unearthed by Indiana Jones. Will it still spin?

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 Best of luck with Blade there! You'd think that low price was a warning sign, but I got very good copies of both PSone Spidey games a couple years ago for roughly the same (each, of course), so you never know. At least it should be a nice bit of nostalgia for you!

@nessisonett Holy triple coincidence, Batman! Oh wait, wrong franchise.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@LN78 I could always give it a whirl in my 2000-ish disc cleaner that never actually helped. Besides, all my discs have been backed up onto a hard drive by now!

RogerRoger

Seems like the "skip an entire chunk of a level by accident" curse is alive and well in Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation, which makes it a true classic, I suppose. Managed to do a simple running jump past a locked door in Cairo, only to then waste half an hour in an adjoining level looking for its key. Brilliant.

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger I can’t tell if ‘adjoining levels’ excites me or fills me with dread!

I’ve now beaten India in Tomb Raider 3. It was brutal, especially the boss at the end. And apparently it only gets harder! I’ve picked Nevada next so Lara has a different outfit which is a nice touch.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett The backtracking level design isn't half as bad as I'd been lead to believe. Cairo is the third and last location to use such a layout, and it's definitely been the worst of 'em, with its dark lighting and increased difficulty slowing my progress and forcing me to play in shorter, less frequent chunks. Still, I haven't gotten myself seriously lost (yet) and reckon I'll be leaving for Lara's final destination soon.

Nice work on TR3 there! You've totally made the right choice by heading to Nevada first, for reasons which I won't spoil. Let's just say, it'll make the rest of the game a bit easier for you!

Making It So Since 1987

LtSarge

So I've been trying out the life sim games I've bought earlier in the week. I first gave Harvest Moon: The Tale of Two Towns on 3DS a try and to be frank, it wasn't gripping to play at all. The first issue is that the game's map is way too huge and you get access to a lot of areas right from the start, which is overwhelming. The second issue is that the requests are not straight-forward. I took some where you're supposed to learn how to catch bugs and fish but I couldn't find a bug net or fishing rod anywhere. The people who gave the requests didn't provide any of that. The third issue is that the game just isn't streamlined. You don't have a specific land to farm, you can pretty much grow crops anywhere around your house, which is weird to me. I also had a hard time getting into the gameplay loop. So in conclusion, the game isn't doing it for me. Getting confused and stressed out is the complete opposite of what I want to feel while playing a life sim game.

Then I got Rune Factory 4 Special on Switch in the mail yesterday and this game is so much better. The map is much smaller than the one in Harvest Moon so it's not overwhelming at all. Furthermore, the requests are much more straight-forward. In fact, I can tell they're tutorials but cleverly integrated into the story and that makes them more interesting rather than tedious. On top of this, you get the necessary items to complete the requests from the person who made the request, so there's no confusion at all of where to go and what to do. And finally, you have a huge patch of land where you're clearly supposed to grow your crops and not just anywhere like in Harvest Moon. In other words, I had a much easier time getting into the gameplay loop in this game compared to Harvest Moon. In fact, I'm absolutely hooked by Rune Factory now, it's really good!

LtSarge

RogerRoger

@LtSarge Oof, sorry to hear Harvest Moon was such a letdown but, in a weird way, at least you played it before Rune Factory 4, so that you could then appreciate everything that game got right. It sounds like there's definitely a balance to be struck between "total, hands-off freedom" and "borderline linearity" with these kinds of games. I'm glad you've found one that works for you!

Making It So Since 1987

LtSarge

@RogerRoger Yeah for sure. I mean, when I'm looking for a relaxing game to play, I don't want to be overwhelmed or not know what to do. The game needs to start out linear and the more you play the more in-depth the game becomes. I haven't even gotten to the dungeon crawling part of this series yet, I've just been farming and that's still a lot of fun. So they've definitely nailed the structure for Rune Factory 4.

On a side note, the reason why I'm comparing these two series is because Rune Factory is actually a spinoff of Harvest Moon. It focuses more on a fantasy element and the dungeon crawling part as I mentioned earlier. So it's nice to see the spinoff series expanding and improving upon the main series' formula.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

RogerRoger

@LtSarge Oh, that's interesting, I didn't know about that connection! And as you say, it's a good thing that they took the opportunity to refine the experience. I know that Harvest Moon is quite popular, so perhaps a spin-off series is to be expected but, to me, it's quite telling that Rune Factory moves quickly to expand and clarify a lot of its core mechanics. Hope you continue to enjoy!

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Ah. I now understand why it was a good idea to do Nevada first. Hooray, my favourite part of Tomb Raider games, the level with no guns 😂

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Yeah, I'm surprised my sigh of relief wasn't audible when I read your reply yesterday! You'll just have to imagine how brutally disheartening it would be to leave Nevada 'til last, only to see your entire accumulated inventory vanish right before the finale.

I'm beyond Cairo now. Doubt I'll be able to play much over the weekend, so there's every chance you'll have completed two classic Tomb Raider games by the time I've merely finished one of 'em!

Making It So Since 1987

Anti-Matter

Yokai Watch 3 Tempura 3DS

I switched my whole team with other Yokai to keep me engaged with the game as I want some variation in gaming.

Anti-Matter

RogerRoger

Some of the things I shouted at Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation today caught me by surprise. Most of them can't be transcribed without censorship. Imagine the total opposite of quotes such as "Gosh, I sincerely would've appreciated some form of notification regarding the hidden illumination feature of these rather spiffy binoculars!" and "I implore you to navigate this underwater environment with a greater sense of urgency, Lady Croft!" and you'll get the idea.

And I wasn't impressed by the game's big pair of bulls, either.

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic