Forums

Topic: What (Non-PS4) game are you playing??

Posts 1,341 to 1,360 of 1,986

LtSarge

Decided to resume my playthrough of Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time on Wii U. After taking several months of break from it, I'm definitely more in a mood to play it now compared to last year. I'm also nearing the end of the game with probably 4-5 hours of playtime left, so I'm hoping to finish it up this time. But it definitely feels like the game really doesn't have anything new or interesting left to show me. I honestly don't know how I'll be able to find the other three M&L games compelling when I feel like I'm already experiencing series fatigue with the second game in the franchise, lol.

I'm considering buying some more Virtual Console games on Wii U after I finish Partners in Time. I'm actually in a mood to play either Pokémon Ranger: Guardians Signs or Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky. Either one sounds pretty dang good right about now!

LtSarge

nessisonett

@LtSarge Guardian Signs is top-tier stuff. One of my favourite DS games actually. They were firing on all cylinders back then, the spin-offs were great too.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LtSarge

@nessisonett I genuinely adore the Pokémon Ranger games because the gameplay is simple yet so addicting. Can't wait to play Guardian Signs!

It's just too bad that a lot of people have forgotten about the DS Pokémon spinoffs. Ranger and Mystery Dungeon are just so good!

LtSarge

nessisonett

@LtSarge The best Pokémon spin-off is Super Pokémon Rumble on 3DS. Ridiculous amount of content in that game.

LtSarge

@nessisonett That's one game that I've completely missed out on. Didn't know it was that good, will definitely keep my eyes out for it now should I happen upon a cheap used copy.

LtSarge

LtSarge

Started playing Invizimals: The Lost Kingdom on PS3 today. I highly doubt anyone remembers this game since it came out during PS3's final year and it's one of Sony's lesser known IPs. Unlike the other games though, this is a 3D platforming game and it's fairly mediocre one from what I've played so far. You fight enemies using basic attacks, you collect stuff that you can use to upgrade your attacks and it's a rather bog-standard platformer.

I was surprised to see that the game started out with live action cut-scenes. Definitely didn't expect that, even though it was very low quality stuff.

It's a fairly short game so I think I'll be able to play through it within the next week. Feels like a good time to be playing it now since I need to be playing more shorter experiences. After having played the same two games for multiple weeks, I definitely need more variety right now.

LtSarge

nessisonett

I’ve been playing Axiom Verge but this time on Vita as I bounced off it on PC. It’s been pretty good actually, despite the slight load time between rooms and when you die.

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett Oooooh I really liked Axiom Verge. I know @kyleforrester87 is also a fan.

You just reminded me about the sequel which I totally forgot about!

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

LtSarge

Started playing No More Heroes 1 on Wii a few days ago. The game looks so bad when you play it on the Wii U due to the HD resolution, so I looked up some potential solutions and apparently it will look better if you just lower the system's resolution to 480p. And sure enough, the game looks way better! Didn't know the solution would be that simple. I also tried playing other games from my Wii backlog such as Resident Evil 4 and Okami and they both look way better compared to before when I tried to play them in HD. So now I feel more motivated to go through my Wii backlog!

On top of this, I can still play Virtual Console games on my Wii U Gamepad in HD because the TV resolution settings are different from the resolution on the Gamepad, which is seemingly always in HD. So I don't need to constantly switch between SD and HD every time I want to play anything other than a Wii title, which is so nice.

But yeah, I've beaten the first two bosses of No More Heroes 1 and so far, the combat is really fun. I also think it's cool to play an open world game on the Wii considering the system's limitations and that you can do different quests in between the story-related ones. Definitely enjoying it a lot more compared to when I played it over 10 years ago (only got maybe a couple of hours into it before I dropped it).

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

Ralizah

Just finished the new demo for Triangle Strategy on the Nintendo Switch. It gives you full access to the first three chapters of the game, and takes 2.5 - 4 hours to beat, depending on how much of the optional dialogue you read.

I went in fully expecting to it not to grab me (this was my experience with the initial demo, which takes place in the middle of the damn game), but I actually ended up becoming pretty invested in the narrative. It's very... dense. Almost novel-like. Lots of dialogue, but almost all of it is meaningful and either lends itself to world-building, plot development, or establishing the personalities and relationships of various characters. The world itself is actually pretty fascinating so far.

Gameplay is solid, if unremarkable. It's basically Final Fantasy Tactics, but with a bigger emphasis on unit positioning. There's also some level of environmental interactivity in battles, but this mostly seems to be a gimmick so far. Maybe that changes as the game goes on.

The story is also very slow to start. Part of that is the ratio of dialogue and plot development to actual gameplay, which is almost 2:1 so far. Normally that's a non-starter for me, as I'm more of a gameplay-focused gamer, but I don't actually mind so much in this case, since the writing is, IMO, a bigger draw than the battles.

I really like that the choices you make in this game seem to actually matter. Characters will apparently join you depending on your dialogue choices throughout the game, and, even in the demo, you can go to entirely different locations depending on your choices. My issue with games with branching storylines is that there is usually an element of artifice to it, so we'll see how significant one's choices end up being on the overall direction of the narrative.

The presentation is lovely, but slightly hindered in handheld mode by the lower output resolution. All of the sprite art looks somewhat... soft. All the same, HD-2D continues to impress. Who knew all you needed to do to sell a PS1 game for $60 in 2022 was apply some fancy lighting effects and filters? OK, that was a little snarky, but it seriously is an attractive little game, no matter my misgivings about the price.

The OST is also really solid. Not in the ostentatious manner of series like Xenoblade or Persona, but in the sense that it significantly enhances the impact of the scenes.

I'm, like, 90% sold on this game, whereas I was planning on skipping it before. So demos do work when they're good.

EDIT: Totally forgot to mention the voice acting. It's pretty good, and there's a LOT of it. The vast majority of dialogue I've encountered is fully voice acted.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Snatcher

I'm playing Pokemon legends, Earthbound.

Going to try halo multiplayer for the first time today.
And I just beat that indie game superliminal, Its a amazing puzzle game.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

LtSarge

Started playing Prototype on Xbox 360 today. Played for about an hour and so far it's great fun. Really missed this kind of open world superhero games where you can just run up buildings, fly and beat everything up as an unstoppable force. There were lots of these games during the PS3/360 era like inFAMOUS, Crackdown and so on. Shame we don't see more of them these days as it's just fun to perform mindless chaos in a sandbox world.

LtSarge

XandertheWise

couple of games im playing rest of this month.

Batman Arkham Knight
Xenoblade 2 just started playing it yesterday. Just met bup with toro in his hideout home and to build his stupid artificial Blade which the quest is going to take forever because it involves fetch quests of this and that. plus the battle mechanics are bit complicated to try to get used to. Im more used to Xenoblade 1's regular arts which arent too complicated etc.

Paper Mario Origami. still at the Toads desert palace area

Tales of Vesperia for my Nintendo switch lite

Assassins Creed Brotherhood for my Playstation 3. At the tail end where Im trying to run and hide from bunch of crazy soldier guards. Its annoying and frustrating because theyre right on my tail right away

XandertheWise

crimsontadpoles

Hitman: Codename 47 on PC. It's the very first Hitman game, released in 2000. This was before they fine-tuned the formula of the Hitman series, so naturally it plays very differently to modern Hitman. So far it seems less about having a variety of murder options to choose from, and more about trying to figure out the correct way to complete a level. It's also very clunky, especially in terms of game mechanics, AI and the controls.

I gave this a try out of curiosity more than anything, but it doesn't appear to have aged well. It's one of these games that I'll either power through while consulting a guide, or just drop it halfway through.

nessisonett

@crimsontadpoles Played that last year. It’s aged pretty horribly 😂

Ralizah

@XandertheWise Xenoblade Chronicles 2's system is a solid improvement once the entire thing unlocks and you understand all of the mechanics. It definitely deserves a better in-game set of tutorials, though.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

XandertheWise

yeah thats true. Im still trying to get used to the newer battle mechanics since Im more used to Xenoblade 1

XandertheWise

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic