Forums

Topic: What (Non-PS4) game are you playing??

Posts 1,241 to 1,260 of 1,986

RogerRoger

@Th3solution @KilloWertz I have some hope for an Arkham Origins remaster being part of a forthcoming Gotham Knights pre-order bundle (and then later sold separately for cheap, kinda like one of the recent Assassin's Creed games did) because the latter has been in development for so long, and WB Games Montréal have done nothing else in the almost-a-decade between both releases. They got a lot of flack for Arkham Origins releasing in a poor state on PS360s, but it was clearly WB at fault, putting pressure on an untested studio to fill a gap in the calendar. I want Gotham Knights to be a big win for them.

Also, hurrah for Dragon Age 2, which is absolutely underrated and might just be my favourite of the entire trilogy, at least from a story and character perspective!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KilloWertz

@Th3solution Yeah, I can't really pin what it is about Arkham Knight that just didn't work for me as well as the first two. Sure, the Batmobile is awful, but I couldn't tell you why otherwise and it's obviously more than just that. I do remember finding it at least somewhat difficult to figure out what to do or where to go next (either or), but whatever I guess. I could probably tell you if I tried it again now, but that was back early this year I believe.

As for the Dragon Age series, maybe these big open world RPGs aren't for you? I love the big western RPGs and that might be my favorite genre. I do need a pallet cleansing after I play a really lengthy one, but I'm just fine with ones that are really long. That makes it a real possibility I will go back to Xbox as my main platform in the near future given their studio acquisitions, but that's another story for another time.

@RogerRoger I'm still only in Act 1, so I'm likely not even close to being halfway done yet. I think it's shorter than the other two, probably at least partially because of the forced short development period, but I'm still relatively early as far as I can tell.

I can understand why it would have been considered disappointing for some people at the time, and obviously EA rushing them was really stupid, but I still find it pretty entertaining. BioWare still managed to still nail some of the most important things like you mentioned (story and characters). Isabela has been a lot of fun so far ever since I ran into her at the bar, especially with some of her dialogue.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

Th3solution

@KilloWertz I had a similar feeling of disorientation too with Arkham Knight — that confusion about where to go next. Also I was really rusty with the combat since a few years had transpired between playing my last Arkham game and they just threw you back into it, as I recall, with very little tutorial or refresher. Anyways, like you say, it’s whatever and maybe we’ll go back one day, maybe not.

As for the long and big western RPGs, I think I used to like them more than I do now. I adored Skyrim back when I played it. Then loved Dragon’s Dogma (not really Western as I think it’s Japanese / Capcom (?), but it’s a Western style RPG) and then followed it with Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. All those were really long, huge rpgs. I think I had oversaturated my life with those. Attempts at Assassin’s Creed Black Flag, Dishonored, DA Inquisition, and later on Witcher 3… all ended in an early exit from me, never seeing the end of any of those. Around that time I experimented with other genres and found a little more diversity in my gaming and it kickstarted a rebirth of my interests.

I still enjoy Western RPGs, but I haven’t really found one that just took over my life like they used to. I played plenty of large open world western RPGs over the last year or so — AC Origins, RDR2, Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon Zero Dawn… and thoroughly enjoyed them all. I did try The Outer Worlds several months ago and wasn’t really taken by it. Similar to Arkham Knight, I can’t say it was any one thing, just sort of didn’t stick and I intend to go back, but I’m doubtful I ever will.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@KilloWertz I actually really liked the smaller, tighter level design, and getting to know Kirkwall inside-out made it feel more homely than if it'd just been one of a half-dozen big cities across a sprawling map, and so I felt more connected to it and cared more about it as events unfolded.

Whenever a developer gets rushed by a publisher, the resulting product often feels unfinished but, no matter what went down between BioWare and EA, I'd never say that about Dragon Age II.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nomither6

idk how arkham knight would be called overrated when people gave that game the business with all their criticisms about the game overusing the batmobile and having terrible-to-no bossfights , people bombed it .

for what its worth though , id still play it over asylum & even though i just fan-boy'd about arkham origins combat , arkham knight does have the best gameplay in the entire series . they really perfected the engine & mechanics of the game and the graphics still are phenomenal .

it aint better than arkham city , or origins though unfortunately

nomither6

nomither6

@RogerRoger yeah , the soundtrack in origins is badass . im glad someone else really appreciates the music aspect of games as much as i do . they really add significance to games .

nomither6

Ralizah

Shantae and the Seven Sirens recently received a free DLC update that apparently re-balances the game (harder boss fights, less food, less health gained from food, etc.), improves the in-game map, adds extra dialogue to bosses, etc., so I'm playing through it to see if it addresses my issues sufficiently.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Ralizah

@LtSarge Yeah. Bosses were too easy anyway, but the real issue with the game was the insanely unbalanced food item drops that you could stack in your inventory. You could basically run through the game without fear of death and tank damage because you always had, like, 10x cheeseburgers, 10x sushi, etc. in your inventory at all times. It was an egregious enough issue that basically everyone called them out on it.

So far, I'm not noticing the bosses being substantially more difficult, and you can still easily trivialize the game so far by using the dance parlor to quickly farm money and upgrade Shantae's hair whipping ability/buy auto-potions/max out her spells, but so far it definitely seems like they've done a good job rebalancing those food drops. I almost never have giant stacks of food in my inventory now.

They added a bunch of other modes, including a new easy mode based off this new version of the game (like it needed one!), but I'm mostly just interested in improvements to the core experience.

If it ends up being substantially transformative, I'll probably update my review score. So far, based on what I've seen, it probably deserves at least a half-point bump.

Edited on by Ralizah

LtSarge

@Ralizah Ah interesting. It does sound like an improvement compared to the original version nonetheless. I'm glad that I didn't play it at launch then because I had no idea it was this unbalanced.

LtSarge

Ralizah

@LtSarge It's a good game regardless (so happy they found a way to maintain animal transformations while also keeping the dynamic quality of the pirate gear in Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, and the dungeons are pretty good, even if Shantae GBC is still my favorite in that respect), but it's definitely better now. I just had a rough time with a boss since I neglected to stock up on items before challenging this dungeon, and they're definitely a little more challenging now. The attack patterns seem to be the same, but I compared the fight to footage of the same boss in the original version, and she's definitely a lot more aggressive with her attacks.

I'm also dying more in the dungeons. Probably because, again, I'm not swimming in food.

Too bad for the people who bought the game from LRG, I guess, since this update obviously won't be on their carts.

I forgot how well-optimized this was for Switch in handheld mode. I play so much 30fps/subnative res stuff on this console that I forget how good a game can look when it's running at 60fps and at or near native resolution. WayForward's HD character portraits also look fantastic.

Ralizah

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC. Apparently it's important to future Trails games, and I don't really want to watch it on youtube or read a synopsis, so I've just decided to rip the bandaid off and play it.

Still not really liking this series. Can't find a quest log. No maps for most areas. The battles are painfully slow. Everyone just talks, and talks, and talks. It looks like a PS1 game, and the scrolling backgrounds kinda hurt my eyes if I focus on them. The game is filled with ultra-low-res textures that just look awful compared to the HD ones. The isometric viewpoint is so unhelpful and hides crucial environmental details, so you're spinning the camera position constantly. It's also weirdly difficult at the beginning, which I don't appreciate, given how tedious the battles are. This grid-based movement system accomplishes little of value, from what I can tell.

I'll stick with it for a while longer and see if it improves. I'm still near the beginning, so...

nessisonett

@Ralizah See, I dunno if there’s a difference but I played a patched version of SC Evolution on Vita and the quest log was mapped to a button along with the cooking menu, bestiary etc. Surely the PC version has the massive journal and quest log?

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ralizah

@nessisonett There's a journal, but it's hard to read because it's ultra low-res (like the character models themselves, which look fuzzy against the sharp HD backdrops). It's also just, like, random information about magic or something.

No quest log yet. Maybe I'll get one soon. I'm pretty early in chapter one still.

EDIT: nvm, there's a quest log, it just wasn't immediately clear to me how to find it. Thank goodness!

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

@nessisonett update:

I've pumped 20 hours into this game over three days, so I guess I can't hate it too much.

Something about this game is working for me in a way that FC just didn't, even though I still don't think the writing is particularly great. I'm really enjoying the deeply stupid Ouroboros baddies. They're like something out of a 90s shounen anime.

nessisonett

@Ralizah The very silly baddies are part of why I love SC so much. Plus it’s just a lot less formulaic and actually gives some depth to the characters.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LtSarge

Started playing It Takes Two today with my brother. I've been wanting to play this game for so long but I don't usually play co-op games with people. So I took this opportunity to play with him and so far it's a really fun game! He doesn't play a lot of games though so playing a 3D platformer has been pretty challenging for him but he's still enjoying it. Although I do have to say that some areas and boss fights have been absolutely brutal compared to the previous sections of the game. For example, the part where you have to avoid nails that are raining down or the boss fight against the toolbox. I don't mind the challenge, but it definitely makes things harder for my brother. Regardless, it's nice to finally be able to play through this game and hopefully we'll finish it eventually.

On a side note, this is another title that I'm really glad it's on Xbox Cloud Gaming. My brother hadn't downloaded the game and so I suggested that we try playing it through the cloud and it works wonderfully! Otherwise we would've had to wait a pretty long time before it finished downloading.

LtSarge

colonelkilgore

@LtSarge just started it with the missus yesterday, who like your brother doesn’t play a lot of games like this...she’s doing well though. We just got to Chapter 3, so much fun!

**** DLC!

LtSarge

@colonelkilgore That's awesome mate! I think it's great that there are games like this since co-op only games aren't that common. It's also a good way to experience a game with someone you know who doesn't normally play video games. Not to mention that since you and I are good at games, we can help them through it!

LtSarge

Anti-Matter

The Sims Bustin' Out PS2

Dance Dance Revolution EXTREME 2 PS2

UP (Disney Pixar) PS3

Anti-Matter

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic