Forums

Topic: What (Non-PS4) game are you playing??

Posts 1,121 to 1,140 of 1,982

nessisonett

@RogerRoger The combat isn’t awful to be honest and I quite like the level design so yeah, there are some positives I guess 😂

@LtSarge I love the Vita’s D-Pad. I really wish the DualSense just had a bigger version of that instead of the weirdly squishy one it has.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Speaking of Vita, your praise for Ace Attorney has me curious about the game and if it were available on Vita I’m almost surely take the plunge. I’m not sure why a Vita port wasn’t made, other than the obvious (= the complete abandonment of any Vita development over the last couple years). 😔

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

LtSarge

@Th3solution You could do what I'm doing right now with Steins;Gate 0: get the game on PS4 and play it on Vita through Remote Play, given that you have a good connection that is. Considering Ace Attorney is a visual novel though, I don't think it's going to pose that much trouble to experience it through remote play. If the stream gets pixelated, then you can just wait it out. After all, all you're doing is reading and choosing stuff, which makes the games less demanding to play through remote play. I've personally had a great time playing Steins;Gate 0 through remote play on my Vita simply because it's a visual novel.

LtSarge

colonelkilgore

@RogerRoger yeah, I havent had as much time with it today as I'd have liked (as I had to run some errands) but I'm enjoying it so far.

Seems like quite the technical leap forwards from MGS1... maybe because this is the HD Remake but still looks and feels quite a bit better.

**** DLC!

RogerRoger

@LtSarge I remember thinking that the PS Vita's D-Pad was particularly sweet, back when I played stuff like CounterSpy, Grim Fandango and Super Star Wars. Ness is right; in comparison, the cheap one shoved on the DualSense feels like four jelly cubes nestled in a sand pit.

@nessisonett Blasting an enemy with dual pistols whilst backflipping away from them never gets old!

@Th3solution Yeah, it's a shame the remastered trilogy didn't come out a little sooner, so that it could've been ported to the Vita. Given the series' origins on GBA and DS, it's surprising how well they translate to home console, but they'd be a great fit for Vita. I had the same Remote Play thought as Sarge, but it'd depend on whether you've mothballed your PS4 or not, as the Vita isn't compatible with the PS5.

@colonelkilgore Oh yeah, despite it being a remaster, the PS2 original blew everybody away at launch. It was one of the first jaw-dropping technical showcases for the console. I still have fond memories of shooting each individual bottle behind the bar, wasting all my ammo. Simpler times!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

LtSarge

Started playing Red Steel 2 on Wii today. I remember getting the game like a decade ago and playing it for a couple of hours before I moved on to something else. Now I wonder why I did that because this game is seriously so much fun! I know that it's one of the best games that incorporates motion controls along with Skyward Sword and it definitely delivers. You fight with a katana and depending on how wide your swings are, you do more damage. You can also parry, circle around an enemy and hit them in the back, stab them, perform finishers and more. Not to mention that you also carry around a gun for long range fights, it's kinda like Dishonored in that you both use melee and gun attacks in first-person. This is definitely one of the best Wii games that incorporates motion controls that actually work and I'm so glad to be playing it now as I've needed something new to spice things up among all these "samey" games I've been playing.

Kinda miss the Wii days now as those games would constantly offer a new experience, whether it was by holding the Wii remote sideways, using it normally with the pointer, using it with nunchuck, using it with motion controls and so on. There was a lot of different and refreshing experiences on the system and I miss that, that's what made the system so great compared to the PS3 and 360. I'm so glad that I still have my Wii U as well as a good amount of Wii games to play on it.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

nessisonett

I’ve apparently beaten the Peru section of Tomb Raider now. I get yellow polygons instead of grey and green ones.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

colonelkilgore

@Keith_Zissou I started watching it a few months back actually... but stopped the video a part-way in as I didn't want to spoil anything for myself. I might well go back and finish it now as it goes 👍

**** DLC!

colonelkilgore

@Keith_Zissou no problem, I’ve been super busy the last week or two (& am only going to be more busy in the near future) anyway… I appreciate you searching for it though.

Walking battle-tank malarkey huh… I might have to ‘make’ time for that though 😉👍

**** DLC!

RogerRoger

After recently discovering that I'd made a mistake when I skipped Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution for so long, I've gone back and gathered up all of the franchise's older PS2 games that I'd previously, and perhaps mistakenly, dismissed as unnecessary additions to my collection. That meant going all the way back to the beginning of CyberConnect2's involvement with the No.1 Knuckleheaded Ninja and grabbing both Ultimate Ninja and Ultimate Ninja 2, as well as tracking down a copy of Uzumaki Chronicles, the first of two action RPGs developed by Cavia.

I blasted through the first Ultimate Ninja last week, because it's basically a tech demo disguised as a full game (a trick the developer would repeat when reinventing the wheel for PS3 years later). When the back of the box exclaims that you can "fight as more than 12 playable characters" you know that you're not exactly gonna be occupied for very long, especially when that claim is only possible because two characters, namely Naruto and Sasuke, have unlockable duplicates. Everybody has a story mode to run through, but each one is simply six (or fewer!) fights held together by some slideshow cutscenes. It wasn't all bad, though. The gameplay audio has that old-timey compression sound to it, which I found kinda charming, and all the mechanics of the series' future are present and correct, albeit in slightly off-kilter devolved forms. It was playable, made me smile, and the difficulty was well-balanced throughout.

Today, I've started Uzumaki Chronicles, which apparently had to be butchered in order to release outside of Japan because, back in 2006, we weren't up-to-speed with the anime. To its credit, if I didn't know that certain characters had been cut, I wouldn't be able to tell, so kudos to whoever was forced to localise this game so brutally. Honestly, it's pretty cool. It handles the RPG element of its brawler gameplay with a nifty "shard plate" mechanic, whereby you try and fit various power-enhancing shards into a template and, if you can fill the entire template with no gaps, you get a bonus. Think of it like a classic Resident Evil inventory on steroids. It also looks gorgeous, with some truly impressive environments which have been kept on the small side in order to increase detail. Looks like it'll last me a little longer than Ultimate Ninja did, which'll make for a nice change of pace before I tackle Ultimate Ninja 2.

Oh, and I'm also playing 2D platformer Naruto Shippuden: Ninja Council 4 on NDS, after which I'll play 3D dungeon-crawling beat 'em up Ninja Destiny 2.

And then I can start on the two PSP games I've still got listed in my backlog. Yay!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@RogerRoger I never realized there were so many Naruto games!

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

colonelkilgore

Started my third playthrough of MGS2 this evening and pretty much flew through the tanker this time. Hopefully I’ll have sufficient dog tags that I’ll only need to run the plant on playthroughs 4 and 5.

**** DLC!

RogerRoger

@Ralizah So very many. The problem is, Naruto became a worldwide hit right around the peak of the licenced gaming trend, so the vast majority of the series' games are these incremental, annual instalments which merely tweak themselves more often than they fully evolve (although, in their defence, they're nowhere near as lazy as some other franchises). Thanks to the nature of the source material, they also become quite samey, no matter which genre or console they inhabit.

I'm lucky that my tolerance has held this long. It's why I'm pressing the advantage whilst I can because, under normal circumstances, playing so many of these games all at once would be a mistake.

But yes, there are nine on DS, seven on PS2, six on PSP, five on PS3, four on Wii, and then the GBA, GameCube, 3DS and PS4 have two a piece. There's even two exclusive to Xbox360, which were developed by Ubisoft and never released in Japan. They're the biggest ones that I've never played, and probably never will, unless we magically get a multiplatform remaster someday.

Making It So Since 1987

colonelkilgore

Well that’s playthrough 3 done of MGS2 (normal) and I’m quite surprised by how much the difficulty steps up with each selection. I can only imagine what ‘extreme’ will be like by the time I make it that far.

What the step-ups in difficulty have done is make me appreciate some of the boss fights more. They were pretty much one-and-dones on ‘very-easy’ and ‘easy’… but the Harrier and particularly the Metal Gear Ray fights were a decent challenge this time around, with the latter probably being my favourite so far.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

colonelkilgore

@Keith_Zissou yeah there were a load more Rays during that section just prior to Solidus… maybe 10 or 12. God only knows how many there’ll be on ‘Extreme’! So I wouldn’t say I found Solidus easy so far… but i haven’t had as much difficulty with him as I have with the other two I’ve mentioned.

So, a good shift today… I’ve got to the same point on playthrough 4 as I did on playthrough 3 last night (just killed Fatman).

**** DLC!

Thrillho

@colonelkilgore When I did my extreme play back on the PS2, the Harrier was definitely the hardest bit. Vamp isn’t easy either. The Ray battle I remember you need to get a bit of a rhythm going to take them out but it’s also not easy!

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@colonelkilgore @Thrillho Yes, that's the perfect word, finding the right "rhythm" is absolutely how I'd describe managing to successfully hold off all of those Mass-Produced RAYs. That's one of my earliest gaming memories where completing a sequence almost became subconscious and oddly relaxing, yet still spectacular and tense at the same time. Such a beautiful battle.

Making It So Since 1987

colonelkilgore

@Thrillho cheers for the info buddy. I did work out a bit of rhythm for the Ray’s on my last playthrough as it goes. Obviously it’s gonna be a lot harder during my next two but I have an idea about how I’m gonna go about it.

I found that the brown wig paired with the grenade launcher really helped with vamp the last time out… but again, I understand it’ll be harder the next. I’ll be interested to see how the difficulty of the Harrier increases too, now that you’ve said how tricky it gets. 🤞

@RogerRoger I know exactly what you mean… it really did feel quite meditative once I worked out the ‘rhythm’.

**** DLC!

LtSarge

So I have no idea why I did this, but I just started up Tales of Xillia on PS3. I thought I was done with this series for a long time now but for the past couple of days since I've finished Vesperia, I've been wanting to play more of this franchise. I can't stop thinking about it, I don't know why. So I figured if I were going to play another game, it would be best to play one of the PS3 titles I have and I went with Xillia since it's shorter than Symphonia.

I've played Xillia for an hour now and my impressions are far more positive than when I played Vesperia. First of all, the combat system is much improved. You can actually hit enemies while they're down, you can recover from being knocked down by pressing square and you can parry enemy attacks by dodging at the right moment. The first boss fight could've been tough for me but thanks to the parrying mechanic, I managed to beat her even though you weren't supposed to. On top of that, I'm playing the game on normal difficulty and so far I'm not experiencing a lot of trouble. Hopefully the difficulty spikes of Vesperia won't be present in this game.

Second, the voice acting and the writing is much better, and the game is more cinematic to boot. In fact, the game is actually third-person now instead of utilising a fixed camera angle like in Vesperia. And overall, I'm loving the two main characters more than the ones in Vesperia.

If it weren't obvious, I'm enjoying this game way more than Vesperia. I simply don't understand the love for Vesperia when so many aspects of it have been improved in the later titles such as Xillia. I'm definitely more inclined to continue playing this game, it's so good!

LtSarge

LtSarge

Thought to tag you here @ralphdibny since we talked about PS Move titles some time ago.

Started up Ape Escape (Move) on PS3 since I was curious what the game was like to play with the PS Move and it was surprisingly really fun! It's fundamentally an on-rail shooter but you'll spend a lot of time standing in one spot and capturing the monkeys by swinging the Move controller. Then as you move to the next section, you can shoot bananas with the pointer to get extra points as well as defeat enemy UFOs. You can also use a paper fan to beat up anything in your way. The mechanics are so simple but they're so much fun! I'm so glad that I bought this game back in the day. Coincidentally, this is also my first ever Ape Escape, lol. At least it's a fun experience!

LtSarge

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic