Forums

Topic: What (Non-PS4) game are you playing??

Posts 1,141 to 1,160 of 1,988

colonelkilgore

MGS2 4th (hard) playthrough done. It was pretty tough tbh so it’ll be interesting to see how I fare on ‘extreme’.

**** DLC!

KilloWertz

It is a PS4/PS5 game, but I'm playing it on my Series X right now since they added it to Game Pass a few days ago.... Scarlet Nexus. I wasn't that thrilled by it's demo, but it's become obvious I didn't give it enough time because I didn't care much about the combat then but now I think it's great.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

colonelkilgore

@KilloWertz yeah I managed a real good deal on that for £20 not long after release.... don't know when I'll get to play it but I do think I'll like it. Combat looks quite 'platinum... ey' if you get what I mean.

**** DLC!

ralphdibny

@LtSarge ah sweet sounds decent. I think the ape escape games were usually made to demonstrate the technology. I'm pretty sure the first one on PS1 launched with either the analog or dualshock controllers.

See ya!

KilloWertz

@colonelkilgore Even though I never finished Nier: Automata (or even Bayonetta believe it or not), I get what you're saying. It feels like a mixture of those games and Final Fantasy 7 Remake (at least with some of the environments). Mainly interior ones, but I have thought to myself multiple times "take away the cel-shading and replace it with regular textures and it would be straight out of Final Fantasy 7 Remake". Obviously they didn't copy that at all as Scarlet Nexus only came out a year after FF7R did. Just a funny coincidence that I noticed more since I just replayed FF7R on the PS5 a month or two ago.

colonelkilgore

@KilloWertz okay, I hadn’t considered it playing similarly to FFVIIR, that’s cool though. I enjoyed FFVIIR quite a bit, I quite like the art-design of Scarlett Nexus too, from what I’ve seen.

**** DLC!

mookysam

@LtSarge Xillia’s fabulous. I really liked the story and characters, and the battle system is so fast and fluid. At the moment I’m playing Arise, and am not enjoying the battle system as much as Xillia’s, as it’s slower, more deliberate, and the bosses are rather difficult. I don’t recall any particular difficulty spikes in Xillia and didn’t have any trouble with the bosses. It’s nicely paced and easy to grind if need be given the design of the overworld areas. What character did you choose to play as?

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

LtSarge

@mookysam Really glad to hear another person's opinion about this game! Seriously, after playing through Vesperia I thought most of the older Tales games were going to be like it. But Xillia is phenomenal, I've been playing it for roughly 5 hours now and I've had much more fun with this game than with Vesperia. Like you said, there aren't any difficulty spikes in Xillia and I've been able to enjoy the battles at my own pace. Not to mention that the Lillium Orb system makes the game very feasible. Being able to choose to increase HP, attack, defence and so on is such a great idea. It's a simple yet very effective system.

I also agree with your other points. The story is much easier to follow compared to Vesperia's where they introduce a new term constantly. Furthermore, the objective is always clear in Xillia unlike Vesperia. Consequently, the writing is actually good in this game and there have been a lot of genuinely hilarious moments between the characters. And yeah, the battle system is much more in-depth and actually fun this time. Vesperia's battle system was basically button mashing, while in Xillia, there are actually strengths and weaknesses you have to take into consideration while battling enemies. For example, using the right type of artes or linking with the right party member. I genuinely can't stress this enough: Tales of Xillia is such a great JRPG and much more enjoyable than Vesperia.

I decided to play as Jude. I looked up online beforehand if there were any differences and apparently, playing as Jude will help you understand the story better. But I also thought it was a better idea to choose the "weaker" protagonist rather than the "stronger" since that's how video games typically are. The protagonist starts off weak and eventually grows stronger. I wanted to have that sense of progression, even though it was tempting to play as Milla.

LtSarge

KilloWertz

@colonelkilgore Maybe I didn't say it completely the way I meant to, but I meant more of how some of the areas looked more than the gameplay.

LtSarge

I was feeling bored so I decided to play something on my 3DS and I went with Zelda II: Adventure of Link on NES. It's one of the few Zelda games I haven't played yet and while this game is the black sheep of the series since it's a 2D side scrolling game with RPG elements, I'm actually enjoying it quite a lot. It's a refreshing Zelda experience that's definitely challenging but still doable. You have three lives and whenever you die, you start from the last place you entered a screen. When you get a game over, you still keep all the upgrades and items you've found so even though the game is tough, it's still fair.

I managed to clear the first dungeon and I'm on my way to the second one now. Don't know if i'll have the patience to play through the game until the end, but I'm definitely willing to continue it tomorrow and see if I can keep making more progress.

LtSarge

nessisonett

@LtSarge Yeah that game’s brutal. Never beat it because it’s just an evil game made by people who wanted children to suffer.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LtSarge

@nessisonett Haha yeah, I guess that's how most NES games were back then. I've actually finished the first Zelda on the NES (albeit with restoration points) and it gets manageable once you start getting more health and other upgrades in general. Can't imagine having to play games like these as a kid without any restoration points though, lol.

LtSarge

colonelkilgore

Had a good crack at the ‘extreme’ playthrough on MGS2 this evening. Beat the Harrier which is supposedly one of the hardest parts of the run… it was tough too, a lot tougher than on ‘hard’. Beat Vamp, who was pretty similar to the previous difficulty and have now made it to the sniper section, which is undoubtedly my least favourite section of the whole game. I found this part almost impossible on ‘hard’ so I know what a struggle it’s gonna be during this run, so I’ve called it a day there… I’ll try it tomorrow at some point.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Kidfried

This will be my first post on the subject of The House in Fata Morgana, and it certainly won't be my last. I'm playing it on the Nintendo Switch, but it's out on PlayStation as well. Fata Morgana is a visual novel that tells the story of a house. Stories, actually, because I've been told the game is like an anthology, telling about the events that happened in the house throughout the ages.

What I think sets the game apart, and you'll notice this too in your first hours of playing the game, is that the game is less dependent on manga tropes. I also think the game's art and story are a cut above most visual novels I played - the gothic style really sets it apart. The writing so far has been super interesting, because the game has a way more mature tone and more consistent tone than most games in the genre. The game really aspires to be a piece of art; I don't feel I've played enough of this game yet to be able to say whether the game succeeds, though.

I'm still at the first story of the game, which is set in the first years of the 17th century. So far I have a lot of thoughts and ideas about the story, and while I'm nearing its close, my reception of it will strongly depend on how it ends, and the game's final assessment of its events and characters. I hope to finish the first story today, so I might return shortly with a hot take on the first story.

Did anyone else play the game already? It's been out for quite a few years now!

Kidfried

Ralizah

@Kidfried Fata Morgana has been on my radar for years now. What I've seen of it definitely feels more gothic and explicitly influenced by literature than I'm used to with VNs, and I really dig the vast scope of the narrative overall.

tbh I kinda wish I'd grabbed the physical release of the game when it was live on LRG.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

colonelkilgore

Really surprised by how much I’m enjoying the VR and Alternate missions on MGS2, a lot of them are quite imaginative and challenging. Slow going mind you, just over 25% of them done after today’s session.

**** DLC!

Jimmer-jammer

@colonelkilgore nice work! You’ll be seeing exclamation marks popping up over people’s heads by the time you finish this one up.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

colonelkilgore

@Jimmer-jammer I know right… it’s a lot! After 5 playthroughs of the main game, these VR/Alternate missions are quite refreshing.

Might be a few days until I can carry on though, tomorrow is our last day in our apartment and Friday we’ll be in our new house. We’ve sold our place fully-furnished, so while we’ve bought new sofas and beds and things… we don’t actually have a piece to out the TV on. I’m actually concerned that I might have withdrawals 😅

**** DLC!

Kidfried

@Ralizah If you think you'll dig it, then you'll dig it. (Note that there is hardly any player interaction, it really is a visual novel! Not everyone's a fan of that.)

I just finished the first story myself. And I loved that, while the story wasn't open ended, it still really leaves it up to the player to make up their mind about the game's events. That really bumped up the story from being nice to really good for me.

Can't wait to proceed with the second tonight.

Kidfried

Jimmer-jammer

@colonelkilgore exciting stuff, man! Hey, just be sure to walk around with a first aid spray, rations and a pack of cigs and you’ll be all good!

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic