Forums

Topic: What (Non-PS4) game are you playing??

Posts 1,061 to 1,080 of 1,990

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Ah. Yeah, that'll do it.

Looking forward to seeing what other random classics you've got lined up!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

johncalmc

@nessisonett I'm playing it with the fan patch, yeah. It's still not pretty. I can only really play it in short sorta couple of hour bursts because playing mouse and keyboard is so upsetting for me, but I've made some progress and I like the game a lot more than I thought I would. I also appreciate the Lacuna Coil poster and the Goldfrapp song that plays in the haunted hotel - some excellent mid-2000s tunes going on.

johncalmc

Twitter:

nessisonett

Man, the Mega Drive’s sound chip sounds so satisfying. It’s like ZEOWOWOW

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

I started Conflict: Desert Storm II as a PS2 Classic on my PS3 earlier. It's part of my effort to actually play some of the bizarre impulse purchases that are cluttering up my backlog; in this particular case, I'd pulled the trigger after remembering an enjoyable demo from one of the Conflict games many moons ago. I figured I couldn't go wrong for a couple of quid.

Well, turns out I was wrong about not going wrong and, as we all know, two wrongs don't make it right. So now I'm stuck playing a wonky arcade version of Rainbow Six, dragging my squad through a ten-mission, four-hour campaign of smeary textures, single-digit framerate dips, mindless auto-aim gunplay, uncontrollable vehicles and some overly-simplistic weaponised jingoism. If it were any longer, I'd abandon it, but it looks like I'm already past its halfway point, so I figure I might as well stick it out... y'know, for the sake of my backlog. Green is a much more satisfying colour than blue.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger So basically you’re playing the first Killzone then 😛

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Allow me to demonstrate just how rough Conflict: Desert Storm II really is...

...by responding with, "I wish!"

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Just the little gameplay I looked up there makes it look like one of the jankiest games I’ve ever seen 😂

RogerRoger

@nessisonett It's proper jank. What's worse is that it's insultingly easy. It sets up this whole "command your entire squad" thing, but the only time I've needed to switch to the three other soldiers is because they've all gotten themselves stuck in a doorway I wanna go through. The squad leader can pick up and use sniper rifles, the sniper can use RPGs against tanks... it just doesn't care, which begs the question why I still do. Ah well. Maybe the last four missions will turn it around.

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

Very glad I picked up the Geofront patch for Trails to Azure before it was bumped to 2023!

Untitled

RogerRoger

I'm replaying The Simpsons: Hit & Run on PS2 at the moment. Such a great game!

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Oh man, that’s a true classic. Sometimes bust out my Cube copy when I feel the mood!

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Already cleared Homer's set of missions, and am now with Bart on the metropolitan map. It's such a joy, and the writing's far sharper than most modern episodes of the show, as well. I don't think I've ever restarted the game from scratch before, I think I used to just dip in and out of my completed save, so there are some story beats and objectives that feel fresh.

Can't wait to unlock the Car Built for Homer and get to the "Treehouse of Horror" map!

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

I've started Ace Combat 5: Squadron Leader (a.k.a. The Unsung War) on PS4, which I know goes against the title of this topic, but it's a PS2 Classic, so hey.

Gonna be honest, I did the tutorials and got underway with the first couple of missions, and they were cool and fun in a cheesy, 90s arcade kinda way, but then out of mild curiosity I glanced at a level list and groaned when I saw the total stretched to the low thirties. I like the idea of flight simulators, but I can't play them for extended sessions, I don't think. I always seem to get stuck in endless loops as my target does the same, neither of us getting anywhere because we're too bloody-minded to give up.

But it was "free" (kind of) and a couple of its missions here or there might help break up some of the other things I'm playing at the moment, or planning to play in the coming months.

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

I started playing Monster Hunter Stories since it’s on Apple Arcade now and it’s been alright so far. Glad they’re adding proper games to it now, Layton’s Mystery Journey’s being added next! Also Zookeeper’s being brought back from the grave too.

Kidfried

I'm playing Loop Hero this week, before Hades releases in a few days. It's less strategic than I had hoped, and a lot more grindy. And yes, that sounds obvious from the title, but after Returnal this was a bit of a shock.

In Returnal any run could be the run you make it into the next biome. In this game, with 90% of the runs you know you're better off just collecting resources.

If I'm honest, Returnal convinced me that rogue likes are better games when as little as possible is carried over. With Loop Hero, I just don't feel taken seriously.

Also, it's a fine and simple game. Just don't expect me to even mention it when we're talking GOTYs.

Kidfried

LtSarge

Currently playing Resident Evil 3 (PS1) on Vita. I've been going through the PS1 trilogy on my Vita this year and now I'm playing through the third game on hard difficulty. I'm at the Clock Tower area of the game and I just beat Nemesis for the second time. Dear lord this battle was difficult, it took me an hour until I finally beat him! I definitely feel like the mandatory Nemesis fights in this game are difficulty spikes since he has so much health, moves around very quickly and can grab you if you're too close. He can also grab you a second time when you're on the ground after the first grab, and at that point you're pretty much dead. Granted, when I finally realised his pattern on the second fight, then it became much easier. But the amount of health he has in the second fight is still absolutely ridiculous.

I think this is the only gripe I have with the game so far, otherwise it's another excellent RE experience.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger I played ace combat 7 as it was leaving game pass a couple of months ago. Not sure which website I posted my thoughts on. I thought it was decent and worth sticking out. I loved the style of the cut scenes with its like realistic anime aesthetic along with a kind of out-in-the-sticks western aesthetic. I quite likef the alternate history it proposed too. Very interesting stuff even if the gameolay itself didn't live up to the other parts. Not sure how similar it is to 5 though!

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Yeah, although I'm not super-familiar with the series, I think most of the games take place across a fictional world. The only one which definitely didn't is the only one I've played before, which was Assault Horizon on PS3, so Squadron Leader has a totally different feel because, as you say, it features a melodramatic, anime-esque storyline in between all the realistic fighter jets. Which just makes me laugh, because you're using all these icons of American, Russian and Chinese military might to wage war in a world where you won't find America, Russia and China on the map.

I got stuck on a mission last night, which frustrated me because I kept dying right at the end, after fifteen minutes of slow-paced, deliberate aerial combat... and there are no mid-mission checkpoints, so you have to start over. I might see if I can nudge the difficulty down.

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger just shaking my head at all my spelling errors in that previous post. I think I was pretty tired when I wrote that last night.

I was really surprised by the anime stuff tbh. Not at all what I was expecting from what I've heard about it which is mainly related to the gameplay.

I checked a guide for a few tough missions instead of bumping down the difficulty. The game itself was holding my interest just enough for me to check a guide but I think if it was any harder then I would have canned it.

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Don't worry, we all make smelling pistakes from time to time. I got what you meant!

Yeah, I was a bit disheartened when I returned to Ace Combat 5 earlier and realised that I couldn't lower the difficulty mid-playthrough, but I gave the it another shot and cleared the blockage, so I'm close enough to the end that I think I'll try and persevere, no matter what. It's still a largely pleasant experience, and it's different enough that it's creating a nice counterbalance to the other, more familiar things I'm playing at the moment. Like I've said before, the flight simulator genre is one I think I should like, but then rarely find the patience to enjoy for long stretches. Works better in small chunks.

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic