Forums

Topic: The best Nintendo game of all Time! (Readers Poll Voting Going on Now!!)

Posts 681 to 700 of 761

Ralizah

@Octane It's a lot of fun, to be sure. Galaxy will probably always be my favorite 3D Mario, though. Weirdly perfect controls (which is saying something, considering I generally detest the Wii and its waggle nonsense), a gorgeous symphonic OST, epic scope, a new character with an interesting (if somewhat tragic) backstory, innovative gravity-shifting platforming mechanics, tons of level diversity, etc.

@DerMeister PS2 and Gamecube were both incredible systems. PS2 perhaps got more in the way of high-quality third party software support (what's new?), but the Gamecube played host to a large number of genuinely incredible games, including two of my favorite horror games, one of which only recently came to non-Nintendo systems (Eternal Darkness and REmake).

Anyway, I highly recommend Sunshine. Aside from the final boss and blue coin madness, it takes all the good things from Mario 64 and improves on it in almost every way.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Ralizah

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (what a cruel choice this matchup was!)
Metroid Prime
Super Mario Galaxy 2

carlos82

Second best Mario (behind 64) vs a top 3 Zelda, I'll go for Super Mario Sunshine

This next one is really tough but I'll have to for Donkey Kong Country

The leftovers From Galaxy vs the dullest Zelda I've ever played, Super Mario Galaxy 2 it is (had Windwaker been in this battle I would have gone for that)

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

PSN: AVGN_82

carlos82

@BAMozzy can't agree more with you, having until that point been playing games on the NES, SNES and Megadrive I will never forget the feeling of first playing Mario 64. Many won't understand that for people our age this was likely the biggest jump in gaming we've experienced, with just many small graphical increments since. I still think it plays very well today and is one of the few N64 games which isn't too fuzzy to look at. Indeed I think Nintendo themselves have struggled to match or better it as an overall experience with the recent 3D World's a big disappointment for me with its pretty poor controls

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

PSN: AVGN_82

Octane

@Ralizah Galaxy was a bit too linear for my tastes, and the HUB was a little disappointing. The atmosphere and music make up for that though. Still have to go with Sunshine as my favourite Mario game; There was a sense of level progression that was a huge step up from 64, but was kinda lost in Galaxy. Talking to the NPCs, there was a sense that Isle Delfino was a living place. Every episode NPCs had something different to say, and every episode felt like a chapter in a story that took place in that level. I also love the way they handled the tropical environment, yet still managed to create diverse levels. They took the staples of the Mario franchise and did them just a little different; Here's your ghost house level, but it's a haunted hotel instead. No desert level, but we've turned this beach into a huge sand flat. I also liked the difficulty, something that wasn't present in later games.

Galaxy 2 is definitely my least favourite of the 3D Mario games, way below 3D World. Feels like they ditched all the things that were great about Galaxy 1. The HUD was not even bad, it was a joke, yuck. Levels played out too linearly. And even the epic space theme had to make place for cookie cutter floating Mushroom Kingdom blocks in a boring cloudy skybox.

Octane

Wesker

Super Mario Sunshine
Donkey Kong Country
Zelda Twilight Princess

Wesker

mookysam

Zelda: The Wind Waker
Metroid Prime
Super Mario Galaxy 2

Suprised Sunshine has got as far as it has. Very surprised Super Metroid is out! :-0

My last choice was extremely tough. Twilight Princess is my favourite Zelda alongside Ocarina. I've completed it maybe a dozen times. On the other hand I reckon Super Mario Galaxy 2 has a claim to being the greatest Mario game ever made. It's glorious for lack of a better word. For some reason my gut is screaming "Super Mario Galaxy 2" so that's what I'm going with.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

themcnoisy

Last couple of hours to get the remaining votes in!

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Ralizah

@Octane The levels aren't quite as open as it 64, but the hub world feels implicitly more satisfying to gradually unlock than Peach's Castle did. Instead of bumming around in a bunch of paintings, you're traveling through space toward the center of the galaxy. For me, this is the game that achieved a perfect balance between a focus on platforming and a sense of scale and openness, instead of Super Mario 3D Land/World, which are fun but feel a bit generic. Galaxy and Sunshine both have oodles of personality.

Mostly agree on Galaxy 2, though. The game is fun to play, of course, but it's missing the melancholy and holistic, unifying vision that made Galaxy a masterpiece, in my opinion. It feels like a level pack. I have the same problem with Rayman Legends, actually, which leads me to have the somewhat controversial opinion that Rayman Origins is actually superior as a complete experience, even though Legends has more level diversity.

Churchy

Not sure if I'm still in time or not?!

Hyrule Playoffs

Zelda The Windwaker
Metroid Prime
Zelda Twilight Princess

Those first two were brutal. I've never been huge into either Galaxy games but there you go!

There was a game idea here. It's gone now.

Twitter:

themcnoisy

Result Round 6

Hyrule Divisional Playoffs (Part 1 of 2)

Zelda The Windwaker GC, 11 vs Super Mario Sunshine GC, 7
Donkey Kong Country Snes, 8 vs Metroid Prime GC, 10
Super Mario Galaxy 2 Wii, 11 vs Zelda Twilight Princess GC/Wii, 7

The Windwaker, Metroid Prime and Super Mario Galaxy 2 blast into our top 6, the rest of the games are out. The closest battle was DKC vs Metroid Prime two iconic characters but DK just lost out - but for putting up a valiant effort Donkey Kong Country is definitely in the top 10!

Edited on by themcnoisy

themcnoisy

Round 6

Thank you everyone for getting us this far and we are nearly done. Within 72 hours we will have our favourite Nintendo games in order!

Rules; Battles between 2 games - pick your favourite. Winner goes through loser goes out. The order of the games in round 5 has had an effect. 1st place games play 3rd placed games and 2nd placed games play other 2nd placed games. This is the second to last stage before we have our final top 6 for the final league.

Mute City Divisional Playoffs (Part 2 of 2)

Super Mario Galaxy vs Soul Calibur 2
Super Mario 64 vs Super Mario Bros 3
Zelda Ocarina of Time vs Zelda A Link Between Worlds

Voting closes in 24 hours!

Haruki_NLI

@Ralizah I think the Rayman games all feel like level packs. Like no game has anything remotely to do with the other. Characters just appear and disappear yet talked about like they are known entities, and Origins, Legends and Rayman 3 are so...how do I word this.

Things just happen. Levels just happen. At least Mario Galaxy 2 has narrative focus. Rayman always feels like level packa for the sake of levels with nothing in between.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Haruki_NLI

Mute City Division Playoffs

Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Bros. 3
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Now that was easy. One game bores me, one Ive never played and the other I despise. Sweet.

My favourite 2D Zelda, a great 2D Mario that has aged remarkably well actually, and Galaxy which just clicked with me for some reason.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

F-racsO

Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Bros 3
Zelda Ocarina of Time

I knew that was the end of the road for Zelda Twilight Princess going against Mario Galaxy 2. It was a good run though, didn't think it would make it this far. At least I still have Metroid Prime to root for.

F-racsO

PSN: F_racsO

DerMeister

Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Bros 3
Zelda A Link Between Worlds (closest to Link to the Past)

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

Gamer83

Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Bros. 3
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

These choices are getting more and more difficult. Super Mario 64 and LoZ: Ocarina of Time are two of my favorite games ever but there's only a few Mario games I think top the level design of the brilliant SMB 3 and A Link Between Worlds kept the classic Zelda formula but shook things up just enough to give it instant classic status back when it released and it's still my second favorite in the series to date (to be fair, haven't played BotW yet).

Gamer83

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.