Forums

Topic: Official Push Square Xbox Thread

Posts 2,021 to 2,040 of 2,436

rockodoodle

R1spam wrote:

@rockodoodle I'm in the same boat as you, have all three systems and they all have their strengths and weaknesses. Leave the console wars begind! I'm a big fan of the dual sense when it's used correctly though like in astro or returnal, cracking controller. Id love to see a nintendo take on adaptive triggers for whatever replaces the switch. If you never had a ps4 and you're new to ps5, the spiderman games are some brilliant fun and come in a bundle for 70 I think. Some amazing fun whilst still being pretty amenable to casual gaming sessions. Enjoy your new toys 😀

I made some rookie mistakes buying games, but was able to bounce back at least a little….

1. Bought Ps4 Spider-Man not knowing it was included in the Ps5 ultimate edition
2. Bought games that went on sale about a week or two after I got them.

Thankfully I was able to repurchase and then return to Amazon to recoup some of that $$$. After returning and selling back my Spider-Man from Ps4, I think it came out to $63 with Ultimate being on sale. Also got some $$$ with GT Sport and Ratchet & Clank.

Edited on by rockodoodle

rockodoodle

LtSarge

Played half an hour of Scorn, uninstalled it afterwards. Played then half an hour of FEAR and had a blast. Goes to show that even a game that's 15 years old can be more fun than a game that came out literally today.

Like seriously, what an absolute garbage game Scorn is. Was hyped for it for over a year and it turns out to be a convoluted puzzle game that's not scary in the slightest. I'm glad that I didn't pay for it. Hopefully I can get my money's worth out of Game Pass with A Plague Tale next week. Surely that game won't disappoint.

LtSarge

trev666

I dont mind scorn its very nice to look at and i dont mind wandering through and solving puzzles

its what i thought it was and thats good enough for me

trev666

LtSarge

@AgentCooper Congrats to your new purchase! It's always a great feeling to discover a new ecosystem for the first time. Personally, I've been playing on Xbox since 2010 so I've pretty much experienced most franchises. But you have so much to experience, like Halo, Gears of War, Fable and Forza.

Speaking of recommendations, I'd recommend checking out Halo and Forza first. In terms of which game to start out with, with Forza I'd say Forza Horizon 5. Sadly, these games get de-listed over time due to licensing with cars. So only Horizon 4 and 5 are available on Game Pass. But if there's one franchise you need to play, it's Forza. The Forza Horizon series is the best racing series ever, they're so much fun even if you're not a huge fan of racing.

In terms of Halo, that's more difficult to say because the first game in the series hasn't aged well at all due terrible level design. I want to recommend Halo Infinite, even though it's the most recent entry it's still one of the best in terms of gameplay. First impressions is more important in my opinion. If you don't mind having some trouble keeping up with the story then Halo Infinite is the best one to start out with. But if you're willing, you could always play through the series in order. Just keep in mind the ruggedness of the first game.

Other games that have recently come out or will come out on Game Pass are Scorn and A Plague Tale: Requiem, which comes out on Tuesday. I'll admit, I was a bit too hasty with my judgment of Scorn on Friday but that's only because 1) the opening level is so arbitrary and bad, and 2) I didn't expect the game to be a first-person puzzle game with horror elements. It's actually a good game, so with the right expectations and if you're looking for something spooky to play, then Scorn is a good one.

In terms of story-driven games like Telltale titles or Life is Strange, As Dusk Falls is a good one with an interesting art direction. I've only played half of it but it's pretty dang good. If you're looking for good indie games, then Death's Door and Tunic are great ones to start out with.

Worth mentioning is that you also have access to classic games thanks to Xbox's backwards compatibility feature. You can for example buy BioWare's Jade Empire on the original Xbox for a tenner. There's definitely a lot of unfamiliar games/series for you to discover on Xbox's ecosystem.

Other things to keep in mind: if you want some free games, Crackdown 1 and 2 are free indefinitely on Xbox. Don't forget to utilise the Quick Resume feature of keeping multiple games open at the same time. With Game Pass, note that first-party titles like Halo and Forza never leave the service while third-party ones will eventually leave.

If you have any questions, feel free to hit me up! I've also added you on Xbox Live.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

colonelkilgore

@AgentCooper hey buddy, I don’t own an Xbox personally but will be real interested to hear how you find your entry and first few months into its ecosystem. So I’ll keep an eye on this thread to follow your progress.

Games I’d have some interest in if I were to take the plunge would be the Forza Horizon games, the Ori games, Sable… and I’d at the very least have a look at Microsoft Flight Simulatpr.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

JohnnyShoulder

@colonelkilgore If you have a Switch, the Ori games are available on there if you really wanted to check them out.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Lavalera

@AgentCooper I think @LtSarge already summed up most important games. Some other games on ultimate beside those that got high ratinga are immortality, sniper elite 5, nobody saves the world. I think it's also dependant on what type of games you like generally speaking, theres over 400 games in gamepass in basically every genre. I also enjoyed some of the older games on there like brutal legend and Alice madness returns which are 360 games but since the backward compat they are playable on the series.
Enjoy your new Xbox!

PSNid: Lavalera

ralphdibny

@AgentCooper welcome coop! My favourite Xbox-only(ish) games so far have been Forza Horizon 4 (it's set in the UK!) And Ori.

Feel free to join the game club on purexbox too (link in my sig)

See ya!

JohnnyShoulder

@colonelkilgore 'ok' 🤷‍♂️

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

colonelkilgore

@JohnnyShoulder I just don’t like using the switch bud… in handheld mode it gives me pins-and-needles in my hands and in either docked/handheld mode I just wanna launch the thing at the wall every time I hit the switch equivalent of circle to exits out of a menu or the switch equivalent of cross/x when I want to select something. It just royally ****s with my orientation. So while I have some interest in the Ori games… that interest is no way near strong enough for me want to use the switch.

**** DLC!

KilloWertz

@AgentCooper An added suggestion from @LtSarge is if you do decide to jump into Halo from the beginning and not just right into Halo Infinite, I would suggest just going right to Halo 2 and skipping the first Halo. Imo, it has aged that badly that I had a pretty miserable experience with it after finally playing it last year, but Halo 2 was still a blast and is still one of the best FPS games to this day. You could probably find the story of the first one on YouTube.

I'm still primarily a PlayStation guy with my PS5, but whenever I'm on my Series X again, I'll add you. Enjoy.

@colonelkilgore You can remap the buttons, which was the first thing I did once I got my Pro controller synced. There was no way I was going to be able to use the buttons "backwards" coming from playing PlayStation and Xbox for so long.

Edited on by KilloWertz

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

Ralizah

Oddly, I don't mind the flipped orientation of Nintendo vs Sony. Probably because Nintendo uses letters and Sony uses shapes. This does make it where, despite loving the DS4 for Playstation games, I struggle to use it on Switch, though. It just doesn't feel right.

What really does my head in is Microsoft and Nintendo having the same letters for buttons, but inversed.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

KilloWertz

@Ralizah That a major reason why I had to flip them. I don't even look at the buttons either. It's muscle memory, and there's no way I'd be able to flip it in my mind and it wouldn't be annoying.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

trev666

if youve just got an xbox i recommend signing up to Microsoft rewards you earn points and can convert them into credit or other voucher im averaging about £20 month so well worth doing.

games i would recommend on gamepass

mass effect legendary edition
quantum break
the gears of war games
guardians of the galaxy

theres lots more but they are my favourites

trev666

trev666

i was always a PlayStation guy but after i signed up to Microsoft rewards the value proposition was just too good i signed up a few years ago and it got my my Series X for £90, 25 games so far and i earn enough every month i never have to pay for gamepass

trev666

trev666

i do recommend the gears of war games they remade the first Gears f war one ultimate edition. Gears of war 2 got 4k upscaled and 60fps boost so did gears 3 quite incredible what they were able to do to xbox 360 games. gears 4 is ok looks good and gears 5 is a very impressive technical showcase for how good stuff can look on series X

trev666

ApostateMage

Some old games feel so much better with the FPS boost on Xbox. Fallout 4 in 60fps is a great game.

ApostateMage

ralphdibny

AgentCooper wrote:

Managed to start Sable too and was gutted when it left GP hours later. Do the games always get deleted from your ssd automatically?

This isn't normal. Are you sure it's not still there? Go to "Manage Storage Devices" and click "View Contents" and check if it's there. Normally it doesn't get uninstalled once it's left game pass but when you go to play it, it will say something like "You need to buy this game".

It's a shame Sable left but i decided to get a month of GPU to play it and other things. It was really good and I would have rated it a 9 or 10 but not long after you leave the first area, performance issues start to crop up and they are pretty severe. It's like a modestly ambitious title that can't achieve that ambition on a technical level.

See ya!

trev666

some of the stuff they were able to do with the xbox 360 games is incredible eg fallout 3 now runs at 4k 60fps and the load times are dramatically improved

trev666

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic