Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 5,941 to 5,960 of 7,479

nessisonett

@CJD87 I’m 100% the minority but I can’t get into BOTW at all. Tried a few times now. I just get distracted by other things when I try to play it!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

R1spam

@CJD87 botw is something special, enjoy! It was my first zelda game so I had no expectations of what a zelda game should be. Everywhere you look there is something to do, anything that looks visually interesting probably will be interesting if you investigate. The physics system is so we'll done. I really enjoyed the shrines, the divine beasts and when you maybe pull at a thread and you find something unexpected. It's not without its flaws though, I didn't mind too much but some folks hate weapon degradation! Let me know what you think after your first divine beast.
@nessisonett it is bloody brilliant, between that and hades the last two switch games I've played have been absolute bangers. I normally flog my games to buy other ones but I could see me holding on to both.

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82

CJD87

@nessisonett I can see how BOTW would elicit those feelings, and can appreciate it is certainly not for everyone... I'm not normally a fan of 'open world' genre, but it has been a pleasant reprieve for me having just bounced off completing Returnal.
The change of pace is fairly jarring though, having just exited a world where one single misfire or poor reflex can lead to imminent death.... to now immersing myself in a land where I spent 45 minutes last night trying to catch a decent horse ha! Enjoying it so far those, and will likely begin to like it more when I've cleaned up the DLC items and embark on the MQ properly.

@R1spam Played Hades a few months ago also, just awesome. What a time-sink, I must have 60-70hrs ploughed in and still do a few runs a week. Went into it with low expectations, assuming it was a hipster-bandwagon indie game... how wrong was I!

CJD87

LtSarge

@CJD87 I think BotW is one of the best games Nintendo has ever made. When it comes to open world games, you typically just have it as an excuse to interconnect points of interests, like traveling from one town to another. There's usually nothing interesting going on in between these points of interest. BotW on the other hand breaks this trend and wants you to explore every part of its open world for secrets and things to interact with. The fact that the focal point of the game is not to get from point A to point B but instead to explore everything is what makes it such a refreshing experience.

LtSarge

nessisonett

@Kidfried Ocarina of Time is probably still the best game I’ve ever played. I love Zelda, especially the 3D ones but I just can’t really sink that much time into BOTW without getting bored.

PSVR_lover

Is the Switch a PS VITA done right? It looks like it has more in common with a PS VITA than any previous Nintendo systems.

The PSVR is the best VR system on the market today.

Ralizah

https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/shin-megami-tensei-v

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-5/tales-of-arise

Interesting how both SMT V and Tales of Arise seem to have stabilized at 87 on Metacritic.

This is going to be the longest week of my life.

@nessisonett OoT is way too dungeon-focused for me. Most of my favorite Zelda games are the ones that de-emphasize dungeons and big story set-pieces in favor of a more interesting overworld. Probably why BotW and Majora's Mask are, far and away, my favorite games in that series.

@PSVR_lover My Switch Lite feels more like a Vita to me. The larger model feels more like a tablet with controller attachments (which is... exactly what it is, actually, lol).

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PC); Unicorn Overlord (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

LtSarge

So a really funny thing happened today while I was playing Mario Party Superstars with a couple of friends. During the last couple of turns, one of my friends got disconnected but then the game continued and she said that she was back in again. I thought it was a bit weird because it said that she got disconnected, but I didn't think more of it. Then at the end of the game, she told us that she had already viewed the award ceremony, which we thought was weird because we had just started watching it. So it turned out that she thought she was playing with us this entire time but instead, she was in a completely separate game from us, but we were all still playing like nothing had happened. She even got different mini-games than us but didn't think it was anything weird. To me that was genuinely the funniest thing I've experienced in a Mario Party game because it was such a mindf**k to us. It was like she had gone to a different dimension running parallel with ours and we just didn't know, lol. Kinda of a weird thing, but now we know at least that when one person disconnects that we have to basically wait for the game to autosave, then everyone has to quit and I have to create a new room where we can resume from our previous save file.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

nessisonett

I'm attempting the joint LttP and Super Metroid randomizer. Wish me luck, I'll absolutely need it!

Untitled

johncalmc

I'm just here to spout off about how Breath of the Wild is one of the most overrated games of all time and totally got a free ride from games media™ because nintendo.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Ralizah

@johncalmc You mean the Nintendo whose games mostly land in the 80s range on Metacritic and rarely ever put up so-called "Game of the Year" candidates?

I feel like you could easily adopt that logic with most of Sony's wildly successful first-party games like The Last of Us and God of War as well. Moreso, actually, because there seems to be preferentialism for their style of gamemaking among many outlets.

johncalmc

@Ralizah Yeah, that Nintendo.

Yes, you could say the same about some Sony games, too. Or Rockstar. Or plenty of studios. None of that has any bearing on Nintendo getting a free pass though.

I really liked Breath of the Wild but reading reviews for that game is comical. If it was an Xbox exclusive it would have gotten 8s.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Ralizah

@johncalmc The problem with that is you could apply that rhetoric to literally any well-received exclusive game, and it'd be impossible to falsify.

Considering the game was both a critical AND commercial sensation for the series (it has way outsold every other entry released to date, even taking re-releases into account), is it more likely that everyone in the world is giving a "free pass" to Nintendo, or that you just didn't happen to enjoy the game as much as most people did?

I feel like there are better and worse ways of critiquing a game, and alleging conspiracies (especially among the media) is usually one of the worst ways.

Octane

I think it's the former. But I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo included a $100 bill and NDA form in every other copy of the game to bribe those Metacritic numbers.

Octane

johncalmc

@Ralizah I think you're blowing what I'm saying out of proportion a bit. I'm not suggesting there's a secret cabal controlling game reviews from the shadows to overrate Nintendo games. I'm saying that there's an inherent bias that exists within games criticism whereby reviewers looking at a game and wondering "Is it an 8 or a 9?" will fall on the high side for Nintendo more often than not where they might not for other studios. There's also a tendency to overlook the wrongdoing of Nintendo where another company like EA might get a tough time. They get a free pass, and this is far from a rogue opinion.

Sure, it was a critical and commercial success but that doesn't mean it's not overrated. Commercial success is irrelevant because by the time anybody realised they weren't fussed on the game they'd already bought it. Critical success is what we're talking about here.

I'm not saying it was a bad game at all. I liked it a lot. But I think it's massively overrated, and I think a lot of media got caught up in the hype of a new Zelda and perhaps didn't pick at the game as much as they should have. That's all.

Look at reviews for Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess (a 95 and 93) on Metacritic versus their perception today. I know both games have their fans - I like Twilight Princess for my sins - but even as science fiction both of those scores would be far fetched.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Kidfried

@johncalmc I think there just a lot of prejudice in video game journalism. Often we can predict what scores a game will get based on how its trailers look or the existing hype.

I mean, remember Cyberpunk? That got a lot of 10/10s on its release day, but none after. Just read through those reviews, especially the early ones. It's comical even.

I think hype and anticipation is just a big factor in game reception. There's just a lot of legacy and hype with the big game series, and Nintendo just happens to have some of the oldest and biggest. That will always major factor in the reviews of Nintendo games unfortunately. Put it short: people jus rather want a great Zelda game than a great new game.

And we see properties like God of War having achieved a similar status.

It's unfortunate!

Kidfried

Ralizah

johncalmc wrote:

I think you're blowing what I'm saying out of proportion a bit. I'm not suggesting there's a secret cabal controlling game reviews from the shadows to overrate Nintendo games. I'm saying that there's an inherent bias that exists within games criticism whereby reviewers looking at a game and wondering "Is it an 8 or a 9?" will fall on the high side for Nintendo more often than not where they might not for other studios.

The evidence (metacritic review score averages per company, for example) suggests otherwise.

I don't disagree that Zelda games might suffer from some general score inflation because of critic bias, but that's something that happens with a ton of big IPs. Zelda, Mario, Uncharted, The Last of Us, God of War, Grand Theft Auto, etc. It's hardly exclusive to Nintendo.

Critics also have preferences which affect which games gain more attention than others in the press. Critics tend to show vast preferentialism for action-rpgs and third-person action-adventure games, for example, which causes a lot of truly excellent games in other genres to get less acclaim than they probably deserve. Games in niche genres are especially likely to be ignored, no matter how excellent they are.

Of course, the same exact thing happens with general audiences as well.

johncalmc wrote:

There's also a tendency to overlook the wrongdoing of Nintendo where another company like EA might get a tough time. They get a free pass, and this is far from a rogue opinion.

Hard disagree. The internet is awash with controversy about literally everything these days, and a lot of that is directed at Nintendo.

Some of it is probably justified. A lot of is trumped up, because people are addicted to outrage cycles.

johncalmc wrote:

Sure, it was a critical and commercial success but that doesn't mean it's not overrated. Commercial success is irrelevant because by the time anybody realised they weren't fussed on the game they'd already bought it. Critical success is what we're talking about here.

When a game is widely critically acclaimed, sells vastly better than previous entries in that same series for years on end, and is highly regarded by most of the people who play it, I do think you have to admit the game resonated with a lot of people. BotW isn't The Last of Us Part II, where it's unpopular with a large portion of the playerbase but receives wild acclaim from critics.

johncalmc wrote:

I'm not saying it was a bad game at all. I liked it a lot. But I think it's massively overrated, and I think a lot of media got caught up in the hype of a new Zelda and perhaps didn't pick at the game as much as they should have. That's all.

I don't disagree that the media probably didn't pick at the game as much as they probably should have. But "massively overrated" also doesn't feel right.

The truth about its quality probably lies somewhere between "it's the greatest game of all time!" and "it's a decent, 8/10 sorta game that was pushed by a biased media."

Edited on by Ralizah

nessisonett

On a slightly more comical note, I have found the morph ball. Inside the lumberjack tree in A Link To The Past. Which requires me to beat Agahnim, which requires a light source, which I have no idea where it is. This is brilliant. The only check I have left is King Zora I think so probably need to grind rupees.

Untitled

Edited on by nessisonett

nessisonett

King Zora had my lantern. Grinding rupees paid off!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic