Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 5,861 to 5,880 of 7,479

nessisonett

@LtSarge Yeah, I pointed this out in the comments for the original article about the credits situation. Pretty horrible working environment and to see people gleefully calling the workers every name under the sun is disgusting. You honestly don’t think these comment sections can get any worse but NLife finds a way.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RR529

Don't know how far into it this is, but last night I ran into Quiet Robe & defeated my first Chozo mini boss in Metroid Dread.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

nessisonett

Finished Metroid Dread there! Excellent ending, tough as nails final boss and let’s just say ‘interesting’ twists in the final section. My only tiny little downsides are that it doesn’t ever feel like you’ve ‘finished’ an area and the E.M.M.I. formula is very much stretched to as thin as it could possibly be. Otherwise it’s a solid 9/10 the whole way through. Very very good game.

Ralizah

It's painful waiting for Metroid Dread.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

CJD87

@nessisonett How many hours did it take (roughly) to concluse your playthrough?

I am (pleasantly!) surprised by how tricky I'm finding this game.... especially considering I am also working through Act3 of Returnal!

I'm getting lost a lot, but enjoying the process of figuring out where to backtrack and go next.

It really is quite refreshing to be playing a Switch game, especially a Nintendo IP, where there is a difficulty curve and some actual challenge! Last night I beat Boss2 (Kraid?) but it definitely took me a few tries.

I wish Nintendo would invest more time in pushing out solid/dynamic new entries for beloved IPs... and nice to see that Dread is getting received well in the gaming community.

Perhaps I'm just not as good at games as I thought, or I'm too cocky after beating Returnal Act2, but I am definitely finding Dread a nice challenge!!

CJD87

nessisonett

@CJD87 Final clear time was just over 6 hours, I’d say that it took me about 9 in real time!

LtSarge

@CJD87 It is kinda strange, right? Playing a Nintendo game that actually offers a good challenge. I still remember the the previous two generations where Nintendo made most of their games easier and if they weren't, they'd at least offer lots of help if you had trouble. Metroid Dread on the other hand is as pure of a hardcore experience as it can get. The boss fights are seriously really challenging and I love that. Very refreshing indeed!

LtSarge

CJD87

@LtSarge - Im honestly not sure how so many people claim to have gone into Dread completely blind and beat within 6-7hrs…

Maybe it says more about me as a gamer, but im about 8hrs in and have only just beaten the underwater boss (4th boss?).

Really enjoying the sense of mystery and loneliness, alongside learning the boss patterns.

Purposefully allowing myself to get a bit stuck also, avoiding guides etc - so I feel I get my money’s worth!

But yes nice to have a Nintendo IP game that isn’t overly patronising for once (Skyward Sword remaster…. 😂)

CJD87

LtSarge

@CJD87 Yeah, I'm definitely taking my time with this game. Although it does seem like the in-game timer isn't that reliable. It says that I've played for 7 hours on my save file, but on my Switch profile, it says that I've been playing for 10 hours or more. So maybe it's more for other people as well.

LtSarge

LtSarge

So apparently, I was closer to the end of Metroid Dread than I thought and managed to finish it up just now after roughly 12 hours of playtime. What a phenomenal game! The final boss was brilliantly designed, like at first you'd constantly die to it in order to figure out its pattern but then the first phase became a breeze. After that you had the other phases and all of a sudden, you beat the boss with minimal damage taken. It just felt so freaking satisfying. In fact, all the boss fights in this game were so well-designed. And the twist at the end was just so cool!

Moreover, the graphics were just astounding. The level of detail really brings these worlds to life. Insects wandering around in the background, lava flowing down, upcoming bosses briefly showing up and so on. It just makes the experience more immersive. Consequently, the narrative was excellently done. It's important to remember that this is first and foremost a Metroidvania, so you can't have cut-scenes showing up all the time. Granted, they did that for a while in the beginning part of the game but after that they were more evenly paced. And I liked them! To experience an actual story in a 2D Metroid is so refreshing. Not to mention voice overs in a Metroid game. All of these things just contributed to a more immersive and compelling game. Furthermore, they made Samus such a badass in this game, especially during the scene against the final boss. The balance between narrative and gameplay was just overall well done.

This is easily the best 2D Metroid, quite possibly the best Metroid game ever made. Which in all honesty isn't that hard to top because there haven't been that many Metroid games, especially not in the past decade. The series has come a long way since the days of Super Metroid and Metroid Prime. I have never been a huge fan of this series before, but after playing through Dread I think I am now. I'm genuinely excited to see what MercurySteam will create next and I'm more excited now for Metroid Prime 4.

LtSarge

nessisonett

@LtSarge I think it’s maybe my favourite 2D Metroid but Prime and Prime 2 top it for me!

LtSarge

@nessisonett You know, I haven't played Metroid Prime 2 yet (although I have played 1 and 3, lol). It's one of the few Metroid games I still need to play. It's just that I've heard that it's more difficult than the other Metroid Prime games and that has sadly deterred me from starting it up. What do you say, should I just give it a go? I mean, is the difficulty really that much higher than the first Metroid Prime?

LtSarge

nessisonett

@LtSarge Prime 2 has some very very ‘interesting’ difficulty spikes but I absolutely love the setting and the parallel worlds. One of my favourite Nintendo games ever.

LtSarge

@nessisonett Well, all that praise has definitely piqued my interest and I'd love to play more Metroid now that I've finished up Dread. I might just have to give it a go in the near future!

LtSarge

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett @LtSarge I'm still holding out for remastered collection for the Metroid Prime games on Switch, having not played any of them.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder It’s definitely a game I’d like to play with twin sticks, the Cube controls were first person tank controls after all.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic