Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 561 to 580 of 7,479

Rudy_Manchego

@BAMozzy I completely agree, it could even include some earlier this gen games. The Switch allows players to play favourite games on the move in a way that has never happened before. I'd play Bioshock, Dead Space, Red Dead, Far Cry etc. on the Switch again because I have never played those games fully in the move.

If a reissue gives you the opportunity to experience a good game in a different way then why not? For the publishers as well, the effort is far less in porting then building from ground up (depending on engines etc).

Plus nostalgia is big business these days.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Ralizah

VR and portable Skyrim are both pretty awesome in their own ways. Immersion vs. comfort and portability. Either way, they make the vanilla PS4/Xbone/PC versions look incredibly inferior, since VR is the only thing that really makes losing portability worth it, imo.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PC); Unicorn Overlord (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

belmont

This may seem bizarre but for me one of the biggest selling points for the Wii and the Wii U was the Virtual Console. There, excluding basically only Game Boy and Game Gear that are 3ds exclusives, almost all the classic games anyone could possibly want.

Yes some are stupid expensive and there is no Wii - Wii U - 3DS crossbuy but it is a convinient way to have all the non Playstation vigeogame history.

Ninty somehow made the Wii U VC worse by not making all consoles available and by having to pay to play your old games while also the emulation is very bad on some consoles.

Bottom line is VC is nowhere to be found on Switch and, apart from some NES games as a part of a subscription that nobody cares about.

If I could transfer my VC games for Wii - Wii U - 3DS to the Switch I would already have bought one. Seriously there is nothing that is not available on other systems. The portability aspect is good but not enough to justify the 340 euros that it costs here.

belmont

Splat

If you could just walk into a store and buy a Switch I would own one already. That said it would just be for their exclusives. I'm looking forward to playing Zelda and Mario Kart will be new to me since I skipped the Wii U.

I'm not sure what to think about Mario Odyssey. I enjoy Mario games but the trailers haven't done much for me. Maybe you have to play it to really get it.

I love me some Skyrim but I'll take playing it in 4K on my Pro over playing it on the go.

Dragon's Dogma 2 Pawn ID: OM7GKB029K3D

PSN: Splathew

Octane

@Splat If you liked Mario 64 or Mario Sunshine, I think you'll enjoy Odyssey. Galaxy had a few open levels, but most of that game was ultimately very linear. Gameplay-wise I think they're all going to be comparable.

Octane

Ralizah

@KratosMD Eh. I'll look into it. Hopefully NMH is better than the mediocre Let It Die, which is the only Suda51 game I've been exposed to so far.

More excited for Mario + Rabbids, personally, which I just got in the mail today. Also looking forward to tasty indies like Stardew Valley, Kentucky Route Zero, SteamWorld Dig 2, Hollow Knight, and Yono and the Celestial Elephants!

Fight_Teza_Fight

I have been out of the Nintendo loop for a while, but I hope the Switch gets VC soon. Would like to play some games that I missed or would like to experience again (Bayonetta 2).
I don't really like Mario (shock!), but Breath of The Wild basically means that I will eventually pick up a Switch. Would also be cool to get back into Pokemon as I spend well over 1000 hours on most of the games- I EV trained & IV bred like crazy!

I'd exclusively be using the Switch as a handheld, but I've still got a ton of Vita games to finish (100+) first. So when the time comes I'll be needing some help from you guys! Currently have a Switch purchase penciled in for 2020 lol .

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Ralizah

I really like how well indies seem to be doing on the Switch so far, and I hope it generalizes to bigger third parties as well. It was just revealed that the Switch version of Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap outsold the PS4/Xbone/PC versions combined. I've heard rumblings that Sonic Mania also sold best on Switch.

Now, imagine a similar response to "bigger" releases like Skyrim, Rocket League, NBA2K, etc.

Rudy_Manchego

@Ralizah I think that might be, in part, to the smaller games catalogue on Switchbut I would also say that the Switch is a great console to play those games. I got Sonic Mania on the Switch because it just felt at home there, and there are a few games I would rebuy for Switch because I enjoy using the console.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

Ralizah

@Rudy_Manchego I mean, it's certainly a less crowded field than on PS4 right now, but at some point people need to stop putting an asterisk next to every Switch success story and admit that the system is doing really well, full stop. If you'll recall, early third party releases on Wii U didn't exactly sell gangbusters.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

@KratosMD I wouldn't be surprised if the Switch outsells the Wii U in its first year on the market. And if it doesn't, it's only due to Nintendo and its apparent inability to meet demand with regarding to manufacturing output.

Anyway, I agree, L.A. Noire coming to the Switch at the same time as the HD twins is huge. Bethesda support of any kind is huge as well. Switch will never get the big AAA multiplats (it is a dedicated gaming tablet, after all), but getting everything else at the same time as other systems would be amazing.

Rudy_Manchego

@Ralizah Sorry, that did come across as negative, I meant that having fewer games has allowed these indie titles to actually get some exposure rather than be sidelined behind bigger names.

I for one am defo getting Skyrim and probably LA Noire on Switch because I want to play titles like these on the go and I want more third party success. I think if these titles do well, publishers are going to consider the Switch a lot more. The Switch has brought me back to Nintendo as well and on the back of that I dove into the 3DS so I think the Switch is going to have legs.

Ralizah

@Rudy_Manchego No problem. I meant it more as a general statement than anything directed specifically at you, because I do see the "Switch gamers will buy anything because they're starving for content" line a lot online when people are trying to downplay the system's sales successes.

I do agree that indie developers are getting a good amount of time to shine on the system before bigger publishers see dollar signs and move in with bigger name releases, which is nice. It always frustrates me when so-called "core gamers" ignore smaller experiences in favor of bigger budget AAA fare. I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried about that happening with the Switch, considering that's generally what happened on the Wii U, except that, instead of just "indies," it was almost all third party games, which, of course, led to third parties dropping support for the system. I'm excited to see that this hasn't been happening on the Switch, as this will incentivize third parties and indies to release their games on the system.

It won't get Assassin's Creed, RDR2, etc. but Nintendo games + non-AAA third party support + Japanese support + third party exclusives + ports of older games (like Skyrim) should mean the system has a constant influx of interesting new games to play. Which would be AMAZING after how badly the Wii/U era damaged trust in Nintendo from third parties and consumers in general.

Ralizah

So, uh... Switch is getting DOOM and Wolfenstein II.

Still quite shocked!

Gamer83

@Ralizah
I missed the direct because I was at work, but was definitely surprised when I logged into NintendoLife to see those announcements. Awesome news though. I love DOOM on PS4 and will double dip on that no questions asked. Not the biggest fan of Wolfenstein but if it reviews well I might be tempted to pick up II after a price drop. Switch would be the choice because of the play anywhere factor.

Gamer83

Rudy_Manchego

I stayed up to watch then literally went straight to sleep afterwards. Doom and Wolfenstein were big surprises and I am really excited about them both. Skyrim was already on my want list for the Switch and now I have Doom on my list. I will be getting Wolfenstein for PS4, mainly because I platinumed New Order and Old Blood and want to continue that.

I am going to support both (if reviews are positive) I think because the idea of playing Doom and taking out my frustration while staying at my in laws is too good to pass up.

The only quibble I have is on pricing. Wolfenstein is a brand new title so I expect full price but for Doom to succed, given the price drops the other platforms have had, I wonder if it will do well at a $60 ish price point. However, I can play Doom on the move. Sorted!

Ralizah

I'll probably be nabbing all three Bethesda releases next year, although I'm significantly more excited for DOOM and Wolfenstein II than Skyrim. DOOM is probably the best modern single-player FPS out there, and if Wolfenstein: The New Order had a ton of old-school charm, so I'm assuming that'll also be the case for the sequel.

BAMozzy

An interesting look at Doom on the Switch - albeit in a pre-release, comparing 'screen shots' and a bit of 'hands-on' in the portable mode - but still gives a good indication of Doom, and maybe an idea of what to expect from Wolfenstein when these do come to the Switch. I am sure that the big compromises to visuals inc Resolution and the 30fps frame rate drop will be less noticeable on a small 720p screen compared to the big screen, docked mode and the comparison to XB1/PS4 versions. Like Digital Foundry say though, its still a remarkable achievement to get 'Doom' running on a 'hand-held' and the scaleability of the engine.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Rudy_Manchego

@BAMozzy Cool video.

I am going to be getting Doom for the Switch if reviews are good. I know the definitive version is at PC or PS4/Xbox but wow playing, Doom handheld is just too awesome!

BAMozzy

@Rudy_Manchego I played Doom on a 'handheld' before - just not the 2016 version LOL.

Of course the big selling point is that portability and it will be interesting to see how well it holds up. It won't have the map editor options either but it seems that the arcade mode is. Personally I don't game on the go and given the choice of the home console versions - with the Xbox X getting a 4k update - it really wouldn't be any contest. This does bring up the question though, would Doom and Wolfenstein be able to be ported to PS3/XB360? Drop the res down to 540p and cut the frame-rate in half... It may not be 'worth' it of course as those are 'dying' consoles (if not 'dead') with declining numbers where as Switch is on the 'up' meaning a growing potential sales base.

It also makes me wonder if the 'Switch', despite Nintendo's insistence its a 'Home' console is considered more a Handheld by its users. I can see the attraction of say buying Doom for on the 'go' but, and especially if you own a XB, PS or PC, would you opt to buy Doom if you plan on playing mostly (or entirely) in the 'docked' mode.

If I were to buy a Switch, it would be more as an alternative to Vita or 3DS. The 'docking' option would mainly be used to charge or at most to finish off the level, get to the next checkpoint etc if I was over halfway through when I arrived back home. I can also understand people mostly using the Switch docked as an upgrade on their WiiU to play the Nintendo favourites but I do wonder if people would be buying games like Doom, Skyrim etc primarily as they see the Switch as a 'portable'. Therefore veering between 'home' and 'handheld' depending on the game and whether its multi-platform. In reading comments, these multi-platform ports seem to be populated with people looking forward to playing Doom, Skyrim, etc on the go which makes me think they view it primarily as a handheld...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic