Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 5,481 to 5,500 of 7,479

Ralizah

@Kidfried Yeah, I pretty much never spring for these expensive editions, but I made an exception this time, given how good it looks, and my love for the series as a whole. Atlus really bungled the roll-out, though. I ended up having to preorder it from some small Canadian chain, since they're the only ones who managed the distribution properly (primarily, advertising on Twitter that they had it, making it where each account could only buy one copy, making it easy for foreign customers to order from them, etc.).

Oh well. I guess it's an opportunity to support a business that's not some gigantic megacorp full of RoboCop-esque corporate suits.

@Haruki_NLI Well, it's not like the game is going anywhere. Atlus games generally drop in price over time anyway, so maybe it'll be cheap if and when you decide to pick it up down the road.

Not planning on picking up Pokemon atm with all of the stuff I'm excited for near the back half of the year, but I'm sure we'll somehow end up with a copy anyway. We usually do.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Kidfried

@Haruki_NLI Sorry to hear about that situation. Hope it'll be easier (or at least more clear) soon! And I definitely know how big an influence money can be on the type of games you're playing. For me I never buy remakes for games I already played when I'm low on money, because I'll just save money and play the original.

Or, like I've been doing this month, instead of buying Ratchet & Clank, I did a search through my library to find an unfinished game. A Plague Tale in my case. So I'm saving up to buy R&C next month.

Kidfried

Haruki_NLI

@Kidfried Yeah ive got a very large backlog, and still £600 of credit card debt after getting my new beast of a PC (It was £1500 of debt but ive been basically paying it off in very large chunks for the past two months!).

So no rush for some games. I'm honestly gonna end up finding another job because right now I spend more time working on video editing and streaming than I do at my actual paid employment.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Ralizah

If I was a more responsible adult, I'd take a generation-long break from the medium and play all of the unplayed games I have in my backlog.

Alas...

nessisonett

I grabbed the first Ni No Kuni on Switch for a tenner. Thought I might as well get it while it was on sale but still have Xenoblade to finish first before getting to it.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

mookysam

Gosh, it's apparently now 25 years since the Nintendo 64 released in Japan. What memories do y'all have have of the system, if any?

@Ralizah Wow, that's quite a gorgeous SMT V edition. Is it exclusive to North America? That steelbook would look very nice on my shelf. I'd get the game anyway, but have recently discovered that I'm quite a sucker for Switch steelbooks!

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

TheFrenchiestFry

@mookysam The Premium Edition is being sold worldwide. It slightly differs in Japan and Europe seeing as how Europe is getting both the steelbook and standard game case as part of the packaging instead of just the steelbook, and Japan gets a T-shirt with a themed design instead of the sling bag every other region is getting

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

nessisonett

@mookysam The Cube was my first console so only really played N64 games through Wii VC and later. Ocarina of Time came with my copy of Wind Waker and quickly became my favourite game of all time though! I’ve played a lot of great N64 games over the years but I’ve always meant to get an N64 controller just to feel how they were meant to be played.

Octane

@nessisonett A working N64 is pretty cheap nowadays, and a copy of Mario 64 or OOT shouldn't be more than €20 or €30. They're also incredibly user-friendly to open up, clean and maintain.

I only wish Kirby 64 wasn't so expensive, it's probably my favourite Kirby game. I have good memories of it, but I never owned a copy myself, because friends of mine already had it.

Octane

JohnnyShoulder

@mookysam Now that makes me feel old! Pulling Mario's face on the title screen of Mario 64 made me pull a massive grin!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RR529

@mookysam I remember being really excited getting the 64 for Christmas, disappointed that my parents said we'd need to get an adaptor to make it work with the TV it was going to be hooked up to, excited again when I saw something in the box I thought was the right adaptor, only to then come crashing down again when I was told it was the wrong kind of adaptor, lol.

Looking back at it now I never knew how I ever got on with that controller, but I have good memories playing Cruis'n World, Mario Tennis, Smash Bros, Paper Mario, Pokemon Snap, & Kirby 64.

I had/played other games of course, such as the completely age inappropriate Turok games my dad bought for us (lol) which I never got very far in as I think they required a memory card, which we didn't own.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Ralizah

@mookysam Atlus is going in hard with that steelbook. Even normal preorders in the U.S. will ship with the steelbook exclusively. I believe Nintendo is distributing the game in Europe, so hopefully the special edition will be managed more competently over there. It took days for even normal listings of this game to show up on major storefronts like Best Buy and Amazon.

Edited on by Ralizah

johncalmc

The N64 was actually where I fell out with Nintendo. I hated the controller, and looking back I don't think it had a good selection of games. I think Mario 64 is one of the worst 3D Mario games. Ocarina is good. Goldeneye. But it wasn't the SNES or NES.

The 64 being by far the worst console Nintendo had released up until that point was bad enough, but it launched late against the original PlayStation which for my money was one of the best consoles of all time, with one of the best games line-ups ever. It was a double whammy.

Not a console I look back upon fondly, if I'm honest.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Kidfried

I remember there being a clothing store in the town I grew up, that had a Nintendo 64 in the middle of the store with Mario 64 on it. It was the first time in my life I ever saw a video game home console. I never played on that machine, though, because my mom wouldn't let me. I was in awe of everything about the game, and longed to play on that wonderful console.

In the early 00's I played on the SNES for the first time, which is the video game console I fell in love with and still have the fondest memories of. Shortly after I played on the Nintendo 64 for the first time. I didn't own one myself, so I only played a few games on it, but I did beat Ocarina of Time and I recall thinking it was the best game I had ever played up to that point.

In hindsight the Nintendo 64 may not be one of the greates video game consoles ever made, but it doesn't need to be either to have fond memories of it.

This year I replayed Mario 64 and I must say that I think the game holds up. Some twenty years ago you'd only read praise about the game, but now there's many people saying "maybe it's not as great as it's made out to be". Unconsciously that idea rooted in my head, and slowly I started thinking 'well, maybe the game isn't as good as I once thought it was'. Anyway, in 2021 I still think it's a really special game with a lot of great ideas - even though sometimes the execution is clunky. And I don't think anything as impressive and forward thinking released with regards to 3d platformers until the next generation of consoles.

Kidfried

Ralizah

It really sucks that Xseed is distributing the first five Kiseki games in the West. If NIS had these licenses, the first two Cold Steel games would be coming to Switch, and the Trails in the Sky trilogy would be available on consoles that aren't dead Sony handhelds.

@nessisonett Do you feel better knowing the Geofront localization won't go to waste now?

I don't know how they're being compensated, but it must be incredible for fans of the series to see their localization being used in an official English-language release.

@mookysam I only played Pokemon games on the N64 when I actually owned one, since I wasn't much of a Nintendo fan at the time, but looooooved Pokemon. Pokemon Stadium was kinda cool, but Hey You, Pikachu... if you've never played it, it's a game where you interacted with a Pikachu via a microphone. Basically proto-Nintendogs, but with a Pikachu. And like Nintendogs, the ruddy thing never seemed to understand what I was saying.

As a modern Nintendo fan, I've more thoroughly investigated the N64's library, and it's actually a bit shocking how sparse it was. The diversity of software on this vs the PS1 is pretty stark, even compared to later Nintendo consoles that struggled with third party support. Anyway, of the handful of games the system is supposedly beloved for, a fair chunk of them don't really hold up well, and the controller looks like it was designed to be used by aliens.

Edited on by Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah Yeah, it’s nice to see that it’s the Geofront translation they’re using. They’ve put so much work into it. That being said, I’m just going to play it sooner rather than later as it’s done and out there and I’m not waiting until 2023.

RogerRoger

My partner got himself Mario Golf: Super Rush for his Switch today. He was unsure as to whether it'd be worth the money for him, and he still hasn't decided, but when he sent me a screenshot of Toad dressed in golf gear I told him that, whatever he paid for it, it wasn't enough.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

R1spam

@RogerRoger I couldn't resist either and have bought Mario Golf: Super Rush. Planning to try out tomorrow and looking forward to see if I am as crap with motion controls golf as I am in real life!

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82

TheFrenchiestFry

So Nintendo of Europe tweeted that Smash's 12.0 update is imminent reminding everyone to back up their replays

I'd bet money that Kazuya's being shadow dropped after the Sakurai Presents livestream on Monday like Hero and Banjo were

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic