Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 5,341 to 5,360 of 7,480

nessisonett

@Ralizah The only reason people are freaking out now is because the Switch is exponentially more popular and actually talked about on the internet.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ralizah

@nessisonett Also, Zelda is one of their biggest franchises.

And, frankly, I've come to believe the internet is an emergent form of non-organic life that sustains itself on negative emotional energy, and we've all been conditioned to feed it, to some degree or another.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Octane

@nessisonett To be fair, I don't know what's worse, Nintendo doing this, or the people defending it.

''bUt aN amIiBo shOuLD hAvE vALueee1!!'', ''iT's nOT esSEnTiAL'', ''fiRSt woRlD prOBlums'', blegh

Octane

nessisonett

@Ralizah I dunno. It’s an objectively scummy move designed to sell glorified Happy Meal toys. That was true in the 3DS days and it is now. I actually do remember a backlash with Samus Returns but due to the fact that the 3DS wasn’t as popular then and the internet’s only grown in terms of partisanship, this Zelda one just seems worse.

Ralizah

@Octane @nessisonett There ARE a lot of people who want the amiibos to unlock worthwhile functions in their games, though. Which is the problem with them: no matter what approach is taken, some camp of people is always unhappy. Although that's true of everything now.

The only issue I really have with it is that Nintendo deliberately under-manufactures these things. I might have picked this up at some point if I could buy it at my leisure, but I am NOT going to camp on websites and desperately race with other people to preorder it. That offends my sensibilities in the same way Sony's "Congratulations! We're giving you the opportunity to purchase a PS5 from us, you lucky dog!" emails do. Nintendo should be selling ME on this thing.

Oh, and the price sucks, too. $25 is a ridiculous price point.

It's fine. I have SS sitting on my Wii U, unplayed, and MH Stories 2 is releasing in July as well and looks fully worth paying full retail for.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah It would have been slightly more tolerable if the other Zelda amiibo actually did something. So as it stands, there is one (more expensive) amiibo that works with the game and it unlocks a fast travel option that eliminates issues people had with the original game in the first place. The Skyward Sword Link literally doesn’t do anything with Skyward Sword. I don’t know why they couldn’t have just made the amiibo unlock materials, given that grinding for materials is tedious in-game and it’s a bit better than locking a QOL feature behind it.

Octane

@Ralizah That's why amiibo are kinda stupid as a concept. Many people buy them because of how they look, but they will complain if it doesn't do anything beyond that. The main problem is that it's physical DLC that can sell out, and you'll have to pay scalpers to access it. Now Nintendo isn't a stranger to that concept (3D All Stars), but it's just a bad business practice. It would've been better if the content was also available digitally, just like regular DLC. Now, I still think that €5 for fast travel is ridiculous, but at least it won't be locked behind a physical object anymore. Plus it saves a bunch of plastic that is going to end up on a landfill at some point anyway, if you don't care about the figure at least.

But really, for €60, fast travel should've been one of the QOL updates present in the game from the get-go. It shouldn't even be a thing you have to pay for. Same with the BOTW DLC, most of it was QOL updates that other games get for free. But Nintendo doesn't do stuff for free. I bet that once they implement the ability to craft multiple items at once in Animal Crossing, it's going to be locked behind a George the greedy Penguin amiibo.

Octane

Octane

@nessisonett That's another problem. The premise of amiibo was that they worked with multiple games, but every time a new game comes out they'll come up with a new amiibo and forget about the previous ones.

Octane

Kidfried

Personally I think it's a bit beside the point whether that is more now or less now, or whatever the discussion is. It's (one more) stupid move by Nintendo, period. I should be able to have the best possible gaming experience, without having to ruin the environment with plastic I don't care about.

Kidfried

Kidfried

@Octane Yup, if every Zelda amiibo ever would unlock the mode, it'd be a different story too. It's a very purposeful move by Nintendo to be scummy.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

Haruki_NLI

I remember people saying Nintendo doesn't produce enough deliberately but remember the cosmic karma of the head of Disney Infinity saying it's irresponsible and he will make sure there are loads of DI figures available.

6 months later the market was flooded with tat no one wanted to buy nor could be given away and DI was dead due to oversupply.

Supply and demand is delicate (heck at work demand has fallen off a cliff and sales are massively down not because of stock but because people now have other stuff to do and we are stuck with a lot of stuff).

Its always better to low ball and need to go higher than go too high and cut back.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

nessisonett

@Haruki_NLI Except one’s Disney Infinity and the other’s Nintendo at the height of their success. Did anyone here actually own Disney Infinity?

Octane

@Haruki_NLI If pre-orders sell out, that's a pretty good sign there's more demand than supply.

Octane

nessisonett

@Arugula So you’re that one person responsible for the toys-to-life craze 😂

nessisonett

@Arugula It really was a strange craze. Seemed to come and go so quickly too.

RogerRoger

Yesterday, my partner purchased Luigi's Mansion 3 for his Switch, and asked me to help him get started with it. Looks gorgeous (particularly for a Switch game) and is packed with charm but, my wordy word, it controls like a bunch of arse. I really hope he can make progress with it in my absence, because otherwise I'm gonna have to wrestle with it during future visits, and I'd really rather not.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

@Haruki_NLI Inherent to the Amiibos is the scarcity and the limited availability. That's the core foundation of amiibos.

Just like Mario 3D collection, Nintendo is creating a business model surrounding this fake idea of stuff being rare. This way they can make more buck instead of having stuff actually available.

Bleeegh.

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

@Kidfried Yep it's a shady practice and am amazed people defend it. Talk about blind loyalty.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@Ralizah Same, it looks fantastic. Really hope they push the boundaries with XII since they’re giving us this classic entry. I like XI but certain aspects do feel a bit antiquated. Even just having character movement actually mean something would be a great step.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic