Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 5,321 to 5,340 of 7,479

nessisonett

@Ralizah Yeah, I was not happy at all with that one. Pachinko machines? Really? I wish there was a similar deal with movies, where sitting on the rights for too long without meaningful use means they could revert to another studio.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Haruki_NLI

I don't think that was Nintendo's decision given their publishing rights seem to only be for the games.

What Koei Tecmo does with other things is down to them.

Or maybe the deal expired?

Speaking of IP people think Nintendo owns, who wants to look at the bottom of the Chibi-Robo amiibo and get their mind blown 🤣

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

HallowMoonshadow

Well that's just gross regardless of who's fault it is @Ralizah 😧

I've only played the second one (and it was a completely random purchase when it was super dirt cheap at one point) but it was 100% worth it and one of the best horror games I've played.

I was under the impression that the Wii remake of it wasn't that well regarded though?

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

Nintendo reportedly co-owns the IP, although it's difficult to know how it's actually managed between the two companies.

Still, it wouldn't be an issue if they weren't just... sitting... on the IP when it comes to actual games. And since they also publish the games now, the complete absence of any sort of support for the series is definitely on them in that respect.

Moreover, this series was consistently enjoying retail releases worldwide until Nintendo got involved. Suddenly, one main series entry is stuck in Japan, a remake never came State-side, and another main series entry was left to rot on the Wii U eshop.

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I've not heard anything particularly negative about the Wii remake. It has better graphics and changed to an over-the-shoulder perspective with the camera, but otherwise it's comparable to the original.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

RR529

Watched the credits roll in New Pokemon Snap this morning, and according to the play log I've spent at least 15 hours on it so far.

That's more time than I've spent on titles such as Onimusha, Devil May Cry, & Republic Commando, yet it doesn't feel as fulfilling as those titles. I'm NOT saying it's a worse game, just that story completion feels like scratching the surface rather than a satisfying endeavor in & of itself.

The only problem with this is that the meat of the game, these darn challenges, can be super obtuse & it's not fun replaying a course 3-4 times in a row and have nothing to show for it.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

HallowMoonshadow

New Pokémon Snap looks absolutely gorgeous from what I've seen I've seen of it (unfortunately not too much) but those optional objectives/challenges sound like a right pain to get right @RR529.

Not sure how long the gameplay loop would hook me personally either... 15 hours sounds quite a lot for set courses of only a few different locales.

Oops sorry... seemed to have missed this post of yours @Ralizah!

From what I recall I heard the control scheme for using the Camera Obscura was a bit wonky in the remake. Perhaps it's just something you can adjust to though? I heard it has quite a few nintendo related costumes though for the twins which sounds pretty neat and I'm sure the lick of paint is nice too 😄

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy No doubt. Most games were awkward to play on the Wii.

One of the early controversies in Fatal Frame V was how NoA censored the game by replacing 'sexy' optional outfits with Nintendo ones, despite the M rating already filtering out the younger audience (in theory; I think we both know most kids can play whatever the heck they want). So instead of controlling one of the characters while she was wearing lingerie, you instead had the option of dressing her up in the Zero Suit from Metroid.

The truly funny thing is that Nintendo had no problem whatsoever with putting sexy versions of classic Nintendo outfits in Bayonetta 1 & 2. Supposedly Platinum initially made the Link costume in Bayonetta 2 fairly conservative, but Nintendo told them to sex it up a bit. And this all was just... so bizarre when Nintendo was actively censoring tamer outfits in other games.

Edited on by Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

Cus the skin tight Zero Suit Samus... suit... isn't sexy at all @Ralizah -Rolls eyes-

I mean... Bayonetta's sex appeal is part of her character right? So I guess it makes sense they actually say to skimp up the link suit a little? But at the same time it's a very weird descision yeah. Nintendo is weird, I think we know that 😅

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Haruki_NLI

I think the answer to this question lies in how old is the wearer of those costumes?

Because if it's anything like people get up in arms about not letting Lin wear a skimpy bikini in Xenoblade X when it was localised and decrying censorship, then it's safe to say it's not worth listening to.

Lin was 13 by the way, for context. That stuff don't fly in most of the world.

nomither6

People have been going to beaches for how long now ? skimpy outfits shouldn't be an issue these days buuut #cancelculture , karens and all , lol .

nomither6

Ralizah

@Haruki_NLI The age rationalization doesn't really work for anyone other than Lin. The censored character in Fatal Frame was 19, I believe. Meanwhile, I can romance my little sister and/or hook up a dragon loli with middle-aged men in the 3DS Fire Emblem games (although, I guess, technically, Nowi is safe, since she's acktually 1000+ years old, despite looking and acting 12; maybe you're on to something )

The censorship in Tokyo Mirage Sessions, meanwhile, was insane and beyond anything any normal person would consider reasonable. They did THIS to an outfit, for example:

Untitled

Meanwhile, in Fire Emblem:

Untitled

Let's not act like all discussions of censorship of female characters in Japanese games reduces to pedophiles wanting to see 13 year olds in pasties and thongs.

Thankfully, Nintendo has put an end to region-specific censorship. Games they publish have to be the same in all regions now, which means creative choices are decided during development, and we don't get terrible wedding dress bodysuits and fuzzed-over cleavage when the games hit Western territories.

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy It's funny, because, in Zero Mission, the zero suit was very much not terribly sexualized, but over the course of time, and particularly in Smash, Samus' zero suit has been continually sexed up. I still can't believe they have her wearing heels in Smash now.

Although Metroid is also a series that has "rewarded" better playtimes with increasingly skimpy pictures of Samus, so I guess it fits.

Edited on by Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah Fire Emblem seems to be its own beast. Jugdral is wild.

Untitled

Kidfried

Nintendo has always been struggling with anything female. They're developing for an international audience, but they're so out of touch with that subject.

Kidfried

Ralizah

@nessisonett lmao

Really hoping those rumors of a Genealogy of the Holy War remake coming to Switch turn out to be true. Echoes improved massively on Fire Emblem Gaiden.

@Kidfried Man, I remember how excited I was that Princess Peach got her own platformer, only to discover that the gameplay primarily revolves around manipulating her violent mood swings to solve puzzles.

nessisonett

@Ralizah I expect GotHW would be toned down. I know the translations already tone down the dodgy stuff but that game is really quite mad. Puts Game of Thrones to shame.

Haruki_NLI

@Kidfried I'd agree if Samus wasn't a thing, granted her strong female character came from not saying anything.

And modern Pauline while being portrayed as a very stereotypically classy woman, is about as far from damsel as she can be.

So yeah theyve always struggled but it doesn't mean they don't get it right.

I won't go too into the XCX moments (it's my favourite game okay!) of characters contemplating suicide, or one having to effectively knocked out to sleep because they wake up screaming after seeing their colleague peeled like a vegetable. Its often the females in that story that act the strongest (and most logically), but it helps the game has a female lead and a lot of story beats focus on the effects of knowing your species is dead on a teenage girl.

You know...that game really is screwed up the more I talk about it.

But yeah, they have at times got it right. Its just when they enter anime territory it seems to waver.

And Princess Peach, but I'm convinced Peach exists to literally be the cardboard cutout.

Octane

So Nintendo is really charging €25 for a QOL patch in a full price Wii port. lol I have nothing more to say.

Octane

nessisonett

@Octane It’s pretty mad. Every time Nintendo look like they can’t do anything worse, they’ll pull something like this out the bag. I honestly don’t think they’d have gotten away with it if this was a Wii U game but the goodwill they’ve built up with the Switch means they can get away with anything.

Ralizah

Nintendo locked entire characters and even difficulty modes behind amiibo on certain 3DS games, and people didn't freak out, lol. This has nothing to do with the game being on Switch.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic