Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 5,321 to 5,340 of 5,370

nessisonett

@Ralizah To be fair, that might speak more to Nintendo’s somewhat lesser ambitions compared to other devs that a game from 2007 is barely distinguishable from a modern game on Switch 😂

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Black Lives Matter. Enough is enough.

Ralizah

@nessisonett A little of column A, a little of column B.

Galaxy's gameplay and art design have aged beautifully. Nintendo's hardware evolution has been lateral since the launch of the Wii; successive hardware obviously gets a bit stronger each time, but the consoles are more focused on evolving how the player interacts with the hardware than with just replacing weak hardware with stronger hardware. And, yeah, Nintendo's games are polished and beautiful, but rarely budget-busting AAA blockbusters (the closest they've come to that is Breath of the Wild).

I think that approach will likely be changing, though. A LOT of people think the Switch format is the logical endpoint of this sort of experimental approach with hardware design, and any major deviation from that is going to engender an enormous backlash.

I don't really see how they could, to be honest. Nintendo knows its portable hardware is what brings home the bacon, and they seem to realize themselves that moving ahead with separate handhelds and home consoles is untenable for a large variety of reasons.

ACTIVELY PLAYING
Persona 5 Royal (PS4)
Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

PSN: Ralizah

Kidfried

@nessisonett Ouch, haha. I totally adored Galaxy, but this is also very true.

Right now I'm playing through Mario 64 on the Switch. And I largely agree with anything that has been said about the game here before.

Not only did some stuff age badly, but stuff was just never well designed to begin with. There are stars that require you to fly to certain stars in the sky, which only pop-in when you're close to them. In some places the camera will actively work against you for seeing some stuff. And also some of the regular stars require looking them up on the internet, because they're just way too obscure.

Also, this remaster should have definitely given you full camera control and way more accurate analog controls. Yes, it would have made many parts of this game laughably easy. But I'd rather play a laughably easy game that controls alright, instead of one that is only hard because it has terrible controls. This remaster is just indefensible.

Anyway, aside from that I'm having fun with the game and have already garnered some 20 stars. I have always loved about the Mario 3D games when getting a star is just something very simple conceptually: climb this tower, kill this enemy, collect these coins. That kind of gameplay also translates very well to the Switch, which is portable. I might just go for one star, when I'm already in bed and ready to sleep. And there'll still be this very real feeling of having achieved something (which is missing in so many games nowadays).

Kidfried

mookysam

@nessisonett Galaxy was extremely refined for its time, but I also think that by 2007 gaming had started to enter its modern phase, so lots of games from back then still compare reasonably well with newer releases. I don't think Nintendo are unambitious exactly, but they struck gold with that game. Odyssey itself plays quite exceptionally and has a lot of new ideas and enhancements, so in my view does in some respects feel more modern than Galaxy.

@Kidfried The wrath of Lakitu knows no bounds! Mario 64's aged quite poorly, especially compared to modern Mario platformers. I think part of the problem playing it on Switch is that Mario's movement is finely tuned to the N64's analogue stick, and on top of that the Switch's right stick is not a good substitute for the C buttons, so everything is a bit wonkier than it would be on original hardware. My impression after 64 and Sunshine is that there was nowhere near enough time spent developing the remaster. SM64 is just a quick emulation job. The only star I couldn't get is a late-game flying-through-clouds one. It's hideous!

#BlackLivesMatter

RR529

Star Wars: Republic Commando dropped at the right time. I've recently finished up watching the Mandalorian, so I downloaded Republic Commando while I'm still in a Star Wars mood.

Not a fan of clicking in the left stick to crouch (you have to hold it down for as long as you want to crouch, which presents issues since you have to move the stick around to... move), but other than that it seems like a fun time so far, even if a bit dated graphically.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

nessisonett

Finally beat the Ice Palace in A Link to the Past. Basically the Water Temple of this game. I hate it with a passion.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Kidfried

I have played quite a bit of Mario 64 in between packing stuff and moving out of my old apartment. I now have over 80 stars, which is more than I originally expected I was going to get out of this experience. No idea yet if I'm going to shoot for 120 stars, seeing as I still have to play the most difficult levels.

Anyway, even though I hate the state in which this remaster was released, I have grown to appreciate the game again the same way I did as a kid. There's so much variety, fun and everything has a loveliness to it, which so far has kept me hooked to the game.

Kidfried

nessisonett

@Kidfried Yeah, Mario 64 might be insanely annoying at times but there’s a certain charm. I still have a fondness for it despite Lakitu and Tick Tock Clock.

RogerRoger

@RR529 I've heard the Switch version of Republic Commando has some framerate issues. Have you encountered any? I'm currently playing it on PS4 Pro, but it's something I might eventually cajole my partner to download on his Switch, for when I'm visiting him, so I'd be curious to know.

And yes, I'd advise mapping the crouch command to another button. It's annoying on the stick.

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind."

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RR529

@RogerRoger, yeah, unfortunately the frame rate seems to be spotty at all times. It hasn't been enough to keep me from playing, but it is noticeable. Apparently the dev is aware & is planning on patching it, but it's odd it's happening at all given it's an OG Xbox game.

BTW, any tips for "Belly of the Beast"? I just can't seem to finish it up in the 5 minute time limit if I try to play smart, but naturally get creamed if I try to be a bit more gung ho as well.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RogerRoger

@RR529 Aspyr have done average-to-good with these old Star Wars ports, and it's clear that they're all working from home. Episode I Racer had trophy sync issues (after a lengthy release delay). Must just be some kind of overlooked bug in the code; here's hoping for a quick fix.

Yeah, that not-very-obvious time limit isn't helpful at all, is it? To speed up the corridors, I relied on my heavy artillery (the thing you used to take down the Spider Droid outside, left on the D-Pad) and grenades (of which you have many flavours, and you won't automatically switch to the next one once you've run out, so remember to switch manually). You won't really need them when you get there. Any time you encounter a Super Battle Droid or a Droideka, target it and press... well, I'm pressing Cross, so whatever the Switch equivalent is... press the button to command your squad. They'll focus fire and take it down quicker than if left to fight free. Don't worry about stopping to heal up, as there's bacta outside the bridge.

Ideally, when you reach the bridge door, you need somewhere between 90 seconds and two minutes left on the clock. Make a manual save, then breach the door. Don't run inside right away; instead, hang back and destroy the three ceiling-mounted turrets (one directly ahead, two either side of the objective console). Once done, command your squad to defend the console, then run in and hack it yourself. Don't take this personally, but your brothers will do much better fending off the hoards than you possibly can. It's boring (takes fifty whole seconds) but it's by far the safest way to get the job done.

One thing worth keeping in mind, because it is always tight: the countdown computer gets real slow during the final ten seconds, to the point where you've got more like eighteen, maybe even twenty. Don't quit and restart early if you're within the last couple seconds of your hack and the countdown starts. You'll have time to pick anybody up off the floor and make the final sprint.

Making It So Since 1987

RR529

@RogerRoger, yeah, I think part of my problem is that I don't have any of those electric grenades that stop droids in their tracks (or more likely I have them but don't know how to switch grenade types, as it's not something the game has informed me of yet).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RogerRoger

@RR529 It never tells you. I found it whilst remapping some of my controls. On the PS4, its default button is L1, so try tapping the Switch's equivalent when you're next playing. The HUD icon should change. By that mission, I'd collected some green proximity charges, blue stun grenades and red thermal detonators.

Making It So Since 1987

RR529

@RogerRoger, those shock grenades definitely made the difference. Made it to the bridge with over 2 minutes left, and after that it took 5 or so tries, but I finally finished out the mission. If that's what capped off the first of the 3 little campaigns, I hate to see what I'm going to be up against as I go on.

The next campaign is off to a cool start, with a moody almost Metroid vibe, though I got stuck at a pipe for 10 minutes as I didn't know you could jump, lol.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RogerRoger

@RR529 Nicely done! It's definitely a sharp difficulty spike. The whole game seems to aim for a mostly accessible skill level 75% of the time, and then periodically throws in these bottlenecks at random intervals. I'm a little further along (although I've played it before, and recently) but am taking my time. I really like how, after such panic-inducing chaos, they opt for a slow-paced, more atmospheric chunk of gameplay.

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

I finally beat A Link To The Past. After about 6 attempts over the last 20 years. I’m honestly chuffed to bits that I’ve finally seen it through more than anything. The first few dungeons are fantastic but it really starts to drag towards the end and some dungeons are just plainly not fun. That last dungeon really wasn’t a fun time and the Ganon fight was brutal. Still, a classic for a reason. I’m definitely glad we got Ocarina of Time afterwards though.

Haruki_NLI

@nessisonett I don't wanna ruin your day but the follow up to A Link to the Past wasn't Ocarina of Time... 😬

It was a game that in many ways somehow worse than that.

Now Playing: Pokemon Emerald, PVZ: Garden Warfare 2

Now Streaming: Megaman Battle Network 2, Pokemon Shield Poliwag, Pikmin 3 Deluxe, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

nessisonett

@Haruki_NLI Well, I guess Link’s Awakening was in between. Which is a really quite good game, but still I’d say that Ocarina of Time is a ‘true sequel’ to A Link To The Past because it was the next main series game. Unless you’re talking about the CDI games 😂

Haruki_NLI

@nessisonett Well the original Link's Awakening had...issues, but started out as A Link to the Past on Gameboy.

Ocarina of Time may as well be A Link to the Past but 3D, and that's a detriment to me. I've never gotten far in any 3D Zelda game before because the starts suck, and the progression is like molasses.

Get 3 stones. Get Master Sword. Swap between light world and dark world. Rescue 6 people. Climb tower, fight Ganon.

Plus being here in the UK, I'd rather not play that game at 15fps. Then again, the original's 20fps wasnt good either.

I dunno. I'm sour on the N64 in general, and 3D Zelda prior to BOTW just....nope. Even Wind Waker HD which flows a fair bit better didnt grab me even when an old housemate and I sat down and played it.

If I'm playing a Zelda game, it's 2D, because then that stuff can be done in a timely fashion.

As I like to say, Ocarina of Time is ALTTP, if everything took 4 times as long to do.

Now Playing: Pokemon Emerald, PVZ: Garden Warfare 2

Now Streaming: Megaman Battle Network 2, Pokemon Shield Poliwag, Pikmin 3 Deluxe, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic