Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 5,361 to 5,380 of 7,480

mookysam

@Ralizah That looks absolutely incredible! Hopefully the full game will use orchestral music too. It's an extremely attractive way of presenting 2D games, so I would love it if Square-Enix would remake Final Fantasy VI win a similar style!

@nessisonett Personally, I hope they don't change to a completely real-time action system. Although I the like turn-based battles, it would be interesting to see how they could be made a little more dynamic. One feature I'd really like to see return is the tension charger from VIII and IX.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Ralizah

@mookysam I don't think they'd release an HD-2D game without an orchestral score, frankly. It's an integral part of the aesthetic.

But yeah, it's an amazing way to do modern pixel art. I'd love to see remakes of older FF games in this style.

So we have this AND Triangle Strategy, which looks like HD-2D FF Tactics, probably coming in the next year. Pretty cool.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Kidfried

@Ralizah Nah, they'll release an HD-2D S version later on for full price, which includes the orchestral score.

Kidfried

RR529

Ordered a physical copy of Wonder Boy: Asha in Monster World, which should arrive by Wednesday.

Should give me time to finish up Famicom Detective Club: the Missing Heir over the weekend.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

nessisonett

Oh boy, Overboard! is absolutely brilliant. Played about half an hour and it’s clearly another winner from Inkle. It’s not often you get that perfect blend of dark humour in a video game. And also not often you play as a semi-sociopath in a real-world setting.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ralizah

Supposedly the Japanese website for Shin Megami Tensei V was accidentally updated with details about the game, including the release date, which is supposedly November 11th. It's getting a simultaneous worldwide release, so there shouldn't be any sort of delay.

Big if true!

I'm so damned excited for Nintendo's E3 Direct now.

Edited on by Ralizah

TheFrenchiestFry

My excitement for Nintendo's E3 just went from 50/50 to 99/1 just because of SMT V

I hope this is the game that significantly increases SMT's mainstream presence like what Persona 5 did for its series. It definitely helps that from the looks of it, SMT V is borrowing a lot of thematic elements from Nocturne

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

nessisonett

@TheFrenchiestFry I’m honestly worried about SMT V. Bravely Default 2 really should have been bigger than it was given the size of the Switch’s audience. Plus there’s 100% gonna be idiots buying it then complaining that Joker isn’t in it, putting further people off.

TheFrenchiestFry

@nessisonett I think Bravely was highly disadvantaged because it came out in direct competition with much bigger Switch exclusives like Super Mario 3D World. SMT V at least has the advantage of having a full week to itself before Pokemon, and even then those two franchises target polar opposite audiences since more kids and tweens will probably be picking up Pokemon by comparison

SMT V also has the advantage of accumulating an audience of people ahead of time considering the Nocturne remaster came out in advance, and especially given it was also on PS4 and PC alongside Switch, it also probably captured the intrigue of a good chunk of the Persona crowd due to the series relation with MegaTen and the similar usage of demons

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

RR529

Just finished up Asha in Monster World. It's cute, though nothing particularly noteworthy.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Octane

I really hope SMT has Mario skins, otherwise I'm not buying.

Octane

RR529

It's not a big deal or anything, but apparently they did find some content that was cut from the western versions of the Famicom Detective Club remakes (specifically in the Girl Who Stands Behind).

Not a huge loss, just some jokes revolving using the "examine" function multiple times on certain female characters, one of which seems in particularly bad taste, which you'll know when you see it (some dialogue toned down or removed, and one optional scene removed).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=loRea3Rt0u0

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

nessisonett

@RR529 Interesting. Probably best not to mention it on NLife though, a certain subsection would have a field day.

Kidfried

@RR529 I wouldn't call it censoring, but straight up improving the game. :')

Kidfried

nessisonett

@Kidfried I legitimately worry about people who immediately examined the dead woman’s bust. And then cared enough to find ‘censorship’ in the response.

RR529

@nessisonett, @Kidfried, yeah, definitely not a big deal. The only really unfortunate thing about it is the fact that the Japanese release is technically a different version is probably why it lacks an English language option and thus the Japan only physical release isn't import friendly.

EDIT: I also wouldn't read too much into the whole "censored" bit. The channel covers lots of localization changes between regions (even changes made to games in Japan) & they don't seem to take a too sensationalized stance on things (can't speak to the comment section, which I haven't read).

Much like DYKG it's more a channel I visit for interesting trivia tidbits.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Kidfried

@RR529 Yes, the differences in localization between Japan and the west have always fascinated me. Like how Vivian is trans in Paper Mario 2 and her sisters are transphobic. Or how actually Western references in the Japanese EarthBound (Coca Cola, The Beatles) had to be edited out, to prevent trademark problems.

The channel itself might be alright, but the word "censored" is kinda click bait of course. In the old days we just used to call it localization, but nowadays every non-literal translation is perceived as censorship.

That being said, "censorship" used to be so much worse in previous generations than they are now.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

nessisonett

Literally can’t download anything on my Switch. Apparently this error code is going round though. I thought these updates were to increase stability!

JohnnyShoulder

Apparently the sequel to Mario v Rabbids is being shown at Ubisoft's E3 show. Although I've not finished it, but the first game was ace.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Ralizah

MARIO + RABBIDS 2!
MARIO + RABBIDS 2!

One of the sequels I was most hoping would happen on the system.

Even knowing Ubisoft's pricing shenanigans, I'll still get this day one. I absolutely love the original game. It was like XCOM, but with better map design and gameplay.

All I need from them now is a new 2D Rayman and I'm set for the generation (from them).

@nessisonett Really glad I'm paranoid about updating my consoles, lol.

I have to imagine Nintendo will address this soon. Especially with a big sale happening on the eshop next week.

Edited on by Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic