Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 4,761 to 4,780 of 7,479

nessisonett

That’s my copy of Mario just arrived lmao ok Amazon!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

TheFrenchiestFry

@Octane Really confused as to why they didn't just do ZL + Y for the Dive like it is in Odyssey

The GameCube controller only had one Z trigger so that would've been a good use for the extra one on the Switch controllers

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

TheFrenchiestFry

@Octane Well when you jump you can press ZL and Y to do the dive manuever but ZL by itself ground pounds

It's how I dived anyway

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

nessisonett

I played the opening couple of levels from all 3 games just to get a feel for changes and the like. They look OK, some decent improvements to texture resolutions and especially sprites in SM64 but I do think they could have pushed it. Super Mario Galaxy in particular looks quite muted when the colours are begging to be bumped up. Hopefully a future Switch would implement HDR as Sunshine and Galaxy would benefit greatly. Sunshine’s controls will take a while to get used to, especially the non-inverted controls as I found myself moving FLUDD the old way a lot. I’m not sure I like the ZL/L controls either but it was the only way around analogue triggers, although they could have given us official Gamecube Controller support like Smash did. Honestly my main takeaway was just how stiff Galaxy feels in comparison to the other two. It’s a great game, don’t get me wrong, I just think the movement feels stiff using the same controller as the two other games. I’m impressed by the gyro controls but the old problem remains of having to reset the pointer every 5 minutes. So it’s a solid collection of great games with some little issues that somewhat mar the experience.

ralphdibny

@nessisonett nice, yeah the pro controller is comfortable! I always use it for TV play unless it's something like odyssey which is better with the joy cons. I know (from memory) galaxy controls really smoothly so I wonder if the stiffness comes from playing the other two games first where Mario was slippery as hell!

Oh yeah I read that article on NL about them changing the price, kind of sucks that they are not honouring their pre order price guarantee

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

Ralizah

@Anti-Matter Responding to you here on the topic of gay marriage options in Fire Emblem games.

Don't get too excited. In Fates, you were stuck with a crazy goth chick as the lesbian option and an even crazier dude who gets off on hurting people if you went for the gay male option. Three Houses has a lot of great lesbian options, but unless you fancy Linhardt (not my preference), you have to shell out for the DLC to get a decent gay male option in that game (and even then, he's less handsome and more pretty, which might not be to your liking).

Baby steps, I guess. One day I'll get my choice of gay Fire Emblem husbands to court. Until then, I generally choose to play as a female protagonist.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah You forgot the amazing old men you can romance in Three Houses. IIRC there was an Alois and Gilbert S support for guys. I mean, 50 year old dudes definitely try it on a lot but it’s still a bit of a stereotype. Nintendo traditionally haven’t gone there so I’m holding out hope for Rune Factory 5.

@ralphdibny I remember Galaxy also feeling great with the Nunchuck but I dunno, the movement feels a little odd in this rerelease. I think it might be the fact the stick isn’t locked into 8 positions?

Ralizah

@nessisonett lmao I didn't forget the daddy options. Those aren't really romances, though; they're more pledges of loyalty, than anything. Until the DLC, Linhardt was the only proper relationship you could forge as gay Byleth in the game.

They're improving on this front, at least. Fates was borderline offensive in terms of the options you were presented with. But even that still saw some anger directed at Nintendo.

nessisonett

@Ralizah Fates was bad enough with the strange faux-incest sorta deal. It’s was like they were competing with Trails for the ‘I can’t believe it’s not incest’ crown 😂

Ralizah

@nessisonett It's worse in Fates, but more offensive in Trails. Falcom should have known better, whereas Fates was just an otaku-pandering dumpster fire all around, so it bothered me less. It's like, "OF COURSE you can marry your little-sister-but-actually-she's-not-your-real-little-sister."

What really got me in Trails was how people were surprised Estelle wasn't already making moves on her adoptive brother.

I'd even prefer a real incest storyline, treated with some dignity, to this creepy fetish fuel.

nessisonett

@Ralizah Yep, I pretty much agree completely with that about Trails in the Sky, there are also flashback scenes to when they were kids in the second game which is... questionable at best. Speaking of Trails, I really have no clue why Sky aren’t on Switch, all 3 are on Steam in English now after all.

RR529

Got SM3DAS in today and played a bit of SM64. Got 7 Stars so far (5 in Bob-Omb Battlefield, 1 in Whomp's Fortress, and 1 in the Secret Slide). There's definitely something here, but my goodness it's slippery (to the point I'm dreading Cool, Cool, Mountain, lol). I'm going to try to see it through to the end though, simply because I was never able to as a kid.

Also, I thought there was supposed to be a secret level you could access if you looked at the ceiling while standing on the sun on the floor, or am I missing something?

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

nessisonett

@RR529 You need a certain amount of stars to access that one, I’m pretty sure. I also don’t really feel it to be that slippery, either I’m used to it or just have zero perception.

Ralizah

Got my copy of 3D All-Stars in the mail today and have 12 stars in Mario 64 now.

And I still hate it. I hate, hate, hate this game. Hate its annoying challenges. Hate the fact that Mario can't turn around immediately without doing this stupid little animation. Hate that every surface feels slippery. Hate the stupid ice slide (literally lost twenty lives just now racing the penguin on that stupid slide). Hate the wing cap, which is a pain to control. Hate the weird camera, which I'm constantly fighting. The visuals are ugly, the music sucks... ugh.

But I'm going to persist. I'm going to FINALLY finish it, and then never, ever play it again.

@RR529 Get 10 stars and then look at it. Although the game uses a VERY obvious visual indicator to hint that you should do this.

@nessisonett There's zero reason for these games not to be on Switch and PS4. Particularly PS4. Their absence is especially notable when you consider that console is Falcom's target platform for Trails games right now, and these games are apparently highly interconnected.

Really, PC is just vastly superior to other platforms in that respect. Even older Falcom games are playable on the system, along with ports of the unlocalized Crossbell games.

Edited on by Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

Ralizah wrote:

Got my copy of 3D All-Stars in the mail today and have 12 stars in Mario 64 now.

And I still hate it. I hate, hate, hate this game. Hate its annoying challenges. Hate the fact that Mario can't turn around immediately without doing this stupid little animation. Hate that every surface feels slippery. Hate the stupid ice slide (literally lost twenty lives just now racing the penguin on that stupid slide). Hate the wing cap, which is a pain to control. Hate the weird camera, which I'm constantly fighting. The visuals are ugly, the music sucks... ugh.

But I'm going to persist. I'm going to FINALLY finish it, and then never, ever play it again.

You really don't get on with the Mario 64 all that much huh @Ralizah? 😅

Good on you for going to beat it even if you dislike it so passionately... Never played it myself and... Well it doesn't sound that pleasant. If it was the DS version instead of the original would you have an easier time with it?

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

nessisonett

@Ralizah Hooray for hacked Vita saving the day with its access to every Trails game up to Cold Steel 2!

Also, wow Super Mario 64’s music is brilliant! Bops from start to finish. I always found the genre listings for it really funny on RYM.
Untitled

Edited on by nessisonett

Octane

@nessisonett Sunshine is a pain to control on Switch. I've set up three different controller configs, each for one of the games. And Sunshine definitely needed the most work. The problem is that they have two jump buttons; A and B, dive/grab is now on Y, and the over-the-shoulder cam is now accessed by clicking the right control stick. So I switched those around. B went to right control stick, because I don't need two jump buttons. Dive/grab is now on B where it belongs, and Y is now the over-the-shoulder cam. The only problem is when you open the map in Sunshine, A and B become different buttons. And you have to press B to exit the map, which is now the right stick. It's a mess

And I'm still fighting the inverted camera. Basic game options, and/or GameCube controller support are so easy to implement you'd think. This is definitely not the definitive version of these games...

@Ralizah 64's camera was acceptable on the N64. And I don't have a problem with it on the N64, because there's no second stick. But I agree that it feels really weird to control the stiff camera with a control stick.

Octane

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Well, the DS version is a 3D platformer controlled via a D-Pad, which understandably rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, but I've heard it plays really nicely on a 3DS using the circle pad. It's also not cancerous to the eyes and has loads of new content/minigames/characters/etc. so I am planning on playing it one day if I can snag it for a reasonable price.

@Octane I think one big problem with character movement in ports is that Mario's motions were VERY connected to slight movements of the N64 stick, and the N64 analog stick was VERY stiff and elongated, giving it a very different feel from sticks on future consoles. It feels more like something I'd use to control a flight sim than a platformer, lol.

@nessisonett ...Dire, Dire Docks' music is OK.

It's possible I've mentally associated the tracks in this game with my rage and frustration experienced while playing it, and thus can't really enjoy them.

This music, for example, just makes me want to die. I get flashbacks to the hundreds of times I've gone flying off that #!@*&%$ ice slide every time I hear it.

Edited on by Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic