Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 4,041 to 4,060 of 4,207

Knuckles-Fajita

So I have a very odd but pervasive issue with the Switch Lite.

It's not save data sharing, or game sharing, or buttons, or analog sticks.

It's this damn screen.

Apparently the colour temperature is warmer, and this is also true of the revised Switch, meaning its actually more accurate than the original model I have, where the blues are more vibrant because the screen is "cooler" in colour.

But when I was playing Sonic Mania on my Lite, I got to the Puyo Puyo boss battle in Chemical Plant and....yikes. I cant see the difference between the Green and Yellow Puyo, or the Blue and Purple ones.

This isn't an issue on my TV (I have it colour adjusted slightly) nor is it an issue on the admittedly less accurate Switch OG screen, because it's cooler. But on Switch Lite, with its more accurate colour balance and temperature....means that any game without a colour blind mode is now harder to play for me than on my original Switch.

This is a very me issue, as I'm colour blind, but man, it's kinda rough.

Edited on by Knuckles-Fajita

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Rudy_Manchego

So I got sent the Witcher 3 on Switch early and have managed to put a couple of hours in. Note I do have the PS4 version and put about 11 hours into that so have played both.

Not sure what I think of the port to be honest. The cut scenes look good and being in small indoor environments are ok but it feels ver soft and fuzzy when out in the world. Handheld is worst but the tv is not much better. On the plus side, it is buttery smooth and the sound is excellent. I am not one to complain about graphics as they are not my thing and I could be playing pre-day one patch but this does feel slightly like an inferior version. I played some of the other ports like Skyrim and Doom on Switch and did not feel like that but this one feels slightly off.

Still a marvel it runs at all and I know this is the only way I will get through it but be warned I have a feeling this may come up in reviews. On the other plus side, install size for the first patch is only 3.2gb with physical cartridge which is pretty small.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

https://jambags.co.uk

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

belmont

@Rudy_Manchego So it has a big patch... So much praise for "having all game in card". Meh physical games don't really exist anymore.

YS VIII is larger than I thought but I am at a point where the story is more interesting and the stupid jokes have stopped. There are performance issues on some indoors area so I can't reccomend it if you have the PS4 or Vita versions but surely go ahead and get it if you have no other version.

I got "worse that death" a 2d survival game for ~6 pounds since it had a launch discount. The big Final Fantasy sale is still live but I may get some games some other time. I have them on the Vita but I really want them everywhere!

belmont

Kidfried

@Rudy_Manchego I hope you'll have a good time with it regardless of port quality.

I still recommend against playing the game on hand-held. It's a very cinematic game, the type that I don't think translates to handheld well without losing a part of its charm.

For newcomers to the series, The Witcher games take quite a lot of investment. I know many people that quit the series after either playing a few hours of 1 or 2, and even also (like Rudy) quitting game 3 after over 10 hours. These are slow burn games, that you need to invest in before you really get them.

That's not meant to dismiss anyone who stopped playing these games after a few hours, and decided it was not for them. This might very well not be the game for you if you don't feel like sacrificing that much of your precious time into something you don't enjoy that much.

Kidfried

Ralizah

Eh. Handheld play is the only reason to get it on Switch unless you don't own any other modern platforms. I get why some people don't like playing big, cinematic games on a handheld, or in handheld mode, but it has never bothered me, personally. If I dock a game, it's usually just because I'm near a TV anyway, and because of the performance benefits of doing so.

A friend of mine is getting this version, so I'm going to wait and see what his copy looks like. With that said, I do hope enough people buy it to make the port worthwhile: it's only the second game on the system to ship with a 32GB card, and the first game that did this never even launched overseas. It seems like CDProjektRed did everything imaginable to get it running well on the Switch. I've heard lots of Switch owners say they'd be willing to accept reasonable compromises to play big third party games on the system. Well, here you go.

Anyway...

I'm about 40 hours into DQXI S now, and really loving it! The game is so consistently charming. No matter what you do, every town, every room, etc. has something to find, something rewarding to uncover, and it makes exploration an absolute delight. The QoL updates take away the few grumbles I've heard from other people about other versions. The music is just terrific with actual instruments. I'm not sure if it's my favorite RPG on the system to date, but if not, it's just a few steps off.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

PSN: Ralizah

Rudy_Manchego

@belmont I guess the patch is big but to be honest, for third party games this is tiny and I believe it might be language packs from what I have read.

@Kidfried Well to be honest, I bought it so I could play handheld. I know it is a large and cinematic game but I do badly struggle to play 100 hour games in front of my TV. I am just over half way through AC Odyssey and at 50 hours and I have been playing off and on since July. This is because I steal the TV here and then but the Switch I can steal more time here and there. As @Ralizah said, the reason to play it on Switch is for portability and I am happy to compromise I just feel that possibly the compromise is more than that of other ports. The game is still the game so quality is there and it clearly not a cheap and easy port and I think this is the best chance I would have if finishing this behemoth.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

Tasuki

@Rudy_Manchego I find it easier too to finish longer games on the Switch then say the PS4 or Xbox One as I don't feel that I am hogging the TV so to speak especially for games like DQXI or Witcher III. It's one thing for me to play something like Call of Duty on the TV where matches are quick and if someone wants to use the tv I can easily finish up what I am doing. A big story driven RPG not so much cause there is that ok after this cinema or let me just get this last quest etc. With the Switch I can just undock it and go.

Edited on by Tasuki

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Wait wait wait wait... Tokyo Mirage Sessions is getting ported to switch?!

... Didn't it not sell well though at all on Wii U? Like even in Japan it sold poorly?

Edited on by Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Ya don't need to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all ya need is something simple, like someone to take care of - Aigis Persona 3

PSN:GoddessFoxy-E

》My No Commentary PS4 Youtube Channel《

Rudy_Manchego

@Tasuki Yeah, I find that big open world games also work for a quick blast on handheld for a side mission or something and you can keep the game running and hop back into it on Switch. Have fond memories of exploring dungeons on the toilet in Skyrim

Kidfried

@Rudy_Manchego @Ralizah Yea, I get all that. And if you're willing to make those compromises in favour of portability, then all power to you (and CDPR for making it possible).

Just wanted to express how I think a game like The Witcher 3 suffers from portability not only technically, but also... conceptually, if that is the right word.

Just like I think it's a waste when I see people in transit watching my favorite movies on their mobile phone. You just lose a bit of the atmosphere.

I am very old fashioned like that.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Yeah, TMS is due out on Switch in January. And yes, it did sell poorly everywhere on Wii U. As did most Wii U games without Zelda or Mario in the name. Thankfully, Switch owners actually buy games developed by third party developers.

I would have sprung for an uncensored Switch version of the game, but since it looks like the Western Wii U version's censorship is in every version of the Switch release, I'll pass.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Ralizah

@Kidfried No, I getcha. What I'll often do with Switch games is play the side missions and grind and explore in handheld mode, and then dock it when playing large story missions. Best of both worlds. When push comes to shove, though, I'll opt for portability every time, as I prefer my games to be as accessible as possible. Especially long ones.

It's fine to wait for optimal conditions to watch a two hour movie. 50+ hour RPGs demand a much larger chunk of my life and aren't nearly as reliant on maintaining a constant sense of tension or atmosphere.

With that said, I understand the inclination. I'll sometimes insist on people watching certain films in the theater (as opposed to watching them on disc) for that exact reason.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

I remember there was a whole brouhaha @Ralizah about the censorship for that. Something about an entire character arc being changed and a costume or two?

Admittedly I was put off by the actual reveal with the whole idol business. I was expecting... Ya know... Anything but that as both properties don't exactly lend themselves to that

Ya don't need to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all ya need is something simple, like someone to take care of - Aigis Persona 3

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy You and everyone else. I don't think it would have suffered such a cold reaction if it hadn't been built up as a crossover between two fairly dark and hardcore franchises.

On its own terms, though, I think it was a decent game. Never finished it, though. I need to revisit it on Wii U and finish it up one day.

A dungeon and subplot themed around gravure modeling was altered drastically. And, in general, several clothes and enemies were altered (sometimes very poorly) to remove even very light cleavage.

Ralizah

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

I heard the gameplay was actually pretty stellar for it @Ralizah which is a shame.

Whilst I haven't or never will buy a console just for one particular game (I need a nice pool of games I want before I commit to a console)... Tokyo Mirage Session #Fe would've been the game to tip the Wii U into "ok guess I can't ignore the console any longer"

I unfortunately did end up ignoring the Wii U as you know 😂 (Thankfully the switch is more just a case of when I'll get it)

Ralizah wrote:

I don't think it would have suffered such a cold reaction if it hadn't been built up as a crossover between two fairly dark and hardcore franchises

Couldn't agree with you more. Being it's own thing would've helped the reputation if it by a mile.

Not sure if that would've done enough for me to hedge my bets on it though. The basic premise is still a bit too goofy sounding for my tastes

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I wouldn't say "stellar." It's alright. Pretty decent. Dungeon design and combat is better than any of the Persona games I've played (most of the first one, some of Innocent Sin, ten hours or so into P3, all of P4/Golden, and all of Persona 5), imo, but it's missing a lot of the style and the social sim stuff that made the later games in that series stand out. Atlus is my favorite JRPG developer by a country mile, so even a middle-of-the-road effort from them is still usually pretty good.

RE: the game being goofy. It... absolutely is. Bordering on cringe-inducing at points. It's part of the game's charm, I think.

In truth, most people seem to watch this musical sequence from the game on youtube and then bail out ASAP

With most of the characters being performers, concerts, singing, and showmanship are woven deeply into the fabric of the game. Interestingly, battles in the dungeons are sort of framed as performances put on by the party. Complete with dynamic and panning camera shots of the action.

Wii U actually had a lot of good exclusives if you're open to Nintendo franchises. Super Mario 3D World was a compelling blend of 2D/3D Mario design. Pikmin 3 is probably my favorite RTS. Xenoblade Chronicles X is... overwhelming in many respects, but a really ambitious game with a grand scale to everything. Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD are the best versions of those games. I've not played Wonderful 101 yet, but I've heard good things. And, of course, there are the numerous excellent Wii U exclusives like Hyrule Warriors, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, New Super Mario Bros. U, Mario Kart 8, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, etc. that were ported to Switch.

It definitely suffered from a lack of quality third party support, but, until the Switch, that was par for the course with Nintendo's 3D consoles. I never felt like it was a wasted investment. The GamePad was a bit of a wasted concept, but it really was brilliantly used in a few games (it sort of functions like a smartphone in TMS, where you can check text messages and whatnot).

Besides, it's my go-to console for Wii games as well, so I'd never give mine up.

Switch is better, of course. It has most of my favorite games this gen.

I mainly bought my PS4 for Persona 5, Silent Hills (sigh), and Gravity Rush 2, but, as you know, I eventually branched out to other games. In general, I usually find games I want to play on consoles even if I mainly bought them to play one or two particular games.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Rudy_Manchego

@Kidfried Yeah it is a fair point, I am sure there will be points that I'll wish it was on a big screen if that makes sense. For me, I just so badly struggle with large open world games because of the time committment that portability makes it the most likely way I will finish them. A little like I don't have time to go to the cinema for many films so seeing them on the smaller screen is a compromise I have to make. Though I suppose that some PC gamers might say the same for TW3 when it comes to the base console equivalents?

Team Yennifer all the way though.

KratosMD

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I actually regret buying my Wii U since it was during this time that Nintendo was at its lowest, creating non-ambitious games, putting in minimal effort and releasing atrocious titles (Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival, Star Fox Zero, Mario Party 10, Mario Tennis Ultra Smash, the list goes on and on). It was, and I'm not exaggerating, the dark age of Nintendo.

Even titles that I adored felt underwhelming. Take Mario Kart 8 as an example, it lacked a decent battle mode, had so many clones of the same characters (all the seven Koopalings, three different versions of Princess Peach and Mario respectively etc.) and a lot of the new tracks lacked originality. It stills feels cringey in MK8D online whenever someone picks a course like Water Park over something like Mute City or Hyrule Circuit.

NSMB U was the fourth title in the NSMB series and had the same themes to its worlds and literally ripped off the exact same soundtrack as the previous titles. Even though it could be technically seen as the most refined NSMB game since it's the latest, it was still unoriginal.

Super Mario 3D World, Paper Mario Colour Splash, Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush are all concepts born on a handheld device. They shouldn't have been offered as the main games for the system. It's like if Nintendo Switch only got Link's Awakening and not Breath of the Wild. It's simply not acceptable.

Even Smash Bros 4 is pretty much obsolete now that Ultimate is out due to it lacking any originality at all. Even the 3DS version was more original.

Point is that the Wii U was a major letdown in terms of showcasing Nintendo's true potential as they ventured into HD development for the first time while the rest of the industry was already getting used to it. Just like we're seeing now with Game Freak and Pokémon Sword/Shield, this is what happens when a company does not keep up with technological advancements: they produce underwhelming games. This also affected the development of 3DS games and is most likely the reason why Nintendo decided to combine their console and handheld teams into one team for the Switch just because they would've otherwise not been able to handle it. And because they did that, the Switch has been receiving some of the best Nintendo games ever made.

There's also way less incentive to buy a Wii U today because all the exclusives are being ported over to Switch. The only reason why one would still own one today is due to Wii backwards compatibility and the extensive Virtual Console offerings.

KratosMD

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

I was a bit tired at that point as it was quarter to 1 in the morning when I wrote that @Ralizah... by gameplay I meant the combat lol

Only 10 hours of Persona 3?! b-but that's the one with actual character arcs and stuff! They aren't just bundles of tropes in anime human form!

... The song made me cringe so hard I had to stop halfway through... Sorry TMS#Fe but I can't handle that whilst on playground duty

The battle was better... bit confused at where the song came from though. Is it like P3 where you only control the protagonist in battle and the other party members do whatever or was I just being a big dumb?

Nice to hear the different takes between you and @KratosMD about the Wii U.

I wouldn't actually mind trying a Wii U for stuff that hasn't been ported over to switch (Yet) Like Mario 3D World, Xenoblade Chronicles X or even stuff that already has like Hyrule Warriors, MK8 etc

Plus it'd actually get me to replay my Wii games too... Now it's completely finished with though they probably aren't as cheap as they could've been earlier lol

Again loved hearing the opposite opinion and considering it A Dork/Dark Age @KratosMD. I think most would, especially after the runaway success that the Switch has become and what the Wii was! I kinda regret my Wii purchase for the most part... I think Brawl was the only game I played quite a bit and the port of RE4 was great too!

Edited on by Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I can see why the battle gameplay would confuse you a bit. No, you control all of the characters. But the battle system is built around using skills that hit enemy weaknesses and trigger automatic follow-up combos from teammates if certain conditions are met. It's this game's MegaTen weakness-exploitation mechanic, and it's a good deal less exploitable than "one more"s from the later Persona games. I mean, like all MegaTen, you can probably design a party load out that can steamroll almost anything later on, but, from the start, you probably won't be getting full session combos.

I don't think most people would debate late-gen Wii U being a bit of a dark time for fans of the company, which is when most of those lazy or uninspired sequels released as, in retrospect, it was clear Nintendo was slowly funneling development resources toward Switch games so that it could have a blow out first year. I won't deny there were some less than stellar games. But the system also had some absolutely spectacular titles on it that couldn't (at the time, and you still can't with some of them) be experienced on another system.

I wouldn't call it my favorite system. But, as an owner of multiple platforms, I think it still has a lot of value, and I'd much rather own one than something like the Xbox One or N64 (my least favorite Nintendo console), which I feel have very little to offer me.

I probably wouldn't suggest anyone go buy it now when it's clear that Nintendo is probably going to port all of its games off to the more successful Switch, similar to how Sony and third parties sent all of the PS Vita's worthwhile exclusives to other, more successful platforms, though.

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy wrote:

Again loved hearing the opposite opinion and considering it A Dork/Dark Age

I dunno. I think we're still deep in the midst of a Dork Age, Foxy.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic