Forums

Topic: Most Wanted 2022-2023

Posts 21 to 40 of 44

Th3solution

So, after watching that recent Japanese promo video where it shows a montage of snippets of games coming out, I was surprised to find that in the slurry of the dozen or so games they highlighted, I was most interested in Forspoken. The visuals and art style are so dynamic and have such immense potential. A lot of the games just look boring graphically. Even games that I’m hyped for like FFXVI, Ragnarok, and Hogwart’s don’t really show anything new and interesting in the art style department.

Forspoken seems to be best in these quick moments of showing off it’s flash and dazzle effects. The problem appears to be it’s quieter narrative sections when characters are talking. 😅

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution I think Forspoken is gonna surprise a lot of folks. I have zero interest in the game, but even my eyes widened when I saw a clip of its gameplay in action. So long as its marketing machine focuses on that kinda footage, it should generate more hype before release.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Lavalera

@Th3solution I agree it certainly looks flashy. I'm kinda going between wanting to get it or not. At first when it was supposed to come out in May I nearly pre ordered it but after it was delayed and the meme video the initial enthusiasm died down. Seeing the latest gameplay trailer made me look forward to it again, because the action the movement and seeing its a big open world should get me interested, since that's normally my type of game. So I'm still waiting for some more footage and the inevitable demo, since square seems to be giving all their games demos lately to make my decision, but yeah potentially it looks amazing.

PSNid: Lavalera

Th3solution

@RogerRoger You might be right. It’ll be interesting.
First of all it’s basically a Japanese Isekai game with a Western art style. It has potential to appeal to both markets. But it also has potential to alienate and turn off both markets — the corny goofy narrative and weird dialogue might kill it in the West and the photorealistic graphics, dark setting, and action combat might kill it in the East.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@Lavalera I’m in the same boat as you, with the back-and-forth on it. And so I assume a lot of people feel like we do.

colonelkilgore

@RogerRoger yeah I’ve kinda always liked the look of it. I know the dialogue comes over as a bit ‘square-to-be-hip’ but as you’ve stated the gameplay itself looks really fun.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

RogerRoger

@Th3solution @colonelkilgore Well, all I can say is, thank goodness the internet isn't filled with the type of folks who'll focus on one minor, forgivable flaw and use it to condemn an otherwise wonderful piece of art. Otherwise the game might already be doomed.

Seriously, fingers crossed for it. It's obviously trying to be something a little different, which is impressive enough nowadays. Credit where it's due an' all.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@JudgeDredd Agreed. Like I said, I have zero interest in the game myself, but I'd still love to be able to support what it represents, which is why I was watching some of its footage and will continue to do so, just in case it suddenly grabs me. Fingers crossed.

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger @JudgeDredd As a guy who bought games like Concrete Genie and Returnal at launch, I’m there with you. If I’m on the fence then the desire to support an independent effort or new IP can often tip me over the edge to purchase a game.

It’s why I’ll often wait a little while for some games like God of War Ragnarok. That game doesn’t need my support to sell a gazillion copies. I just did the same approach with Forbidden West, having bought it after price drop only this week (it’s been what, 8 months since release)

On the subject though — I think that PS+Extra may end up discouraging me from purchasing these smaller game or new IP’s since the service is flush with those types of games. I’ve got a list of 10-15 smaller indie or newer games (like Artful Escape or Stray) that I won’t buy because I have access through PS+.

Edited on by Th3solution

RogerRoger

@Th3solution One can only hope that, to get included on PS Plus Extra, indie developers managed to strike a fair deal with Sony, and that their percentage of the profits isn't paltry. It's the ever-changing face of gaming but honestly, you're right to take advantage of it. After all, success isn't just measured by generated revenue nowadays; your player statistics, hashtags, mentions on here, etc. also have value.

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger That’s a good point. There does seem to be some kind of value to the developer and publisher just by having their product being played and talked about. It would seem so hard to quantify that though.

But I’ve seen a metric being reported more and more, usually associated with Steam, of “number of concurrent players” or something like that. It’s a quantifiable that suggests how popular a game is. In the world of F2P and games on a service, the number of people playing your game seems about as good a measurement as any, but to your point — there is value just in social media mentions, number of streamers broadcasting the game, multimedia deals, and just about any conceivable inclusion of the game into the public consciousness would be of worth.

I feel a little guilty not buying these smaller indie games and instead playing them through a service, but you’ve made me feel better about it. 😄
Because yes, to me financially, I have a hard time justifying paying for a game when I can have access to it along with 400 others for the price of buying that one game.

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Oh yeah, if it gets high enough, that "concurrent players" metric can literally secure jobs and future funding for other projects. Obviously strong sales are still preferable, because money, but the landscape is ever-changing. A lot of free-to-play games depend on a balanced combination of microtransaction whales and concurrent players to justify their existence. It's the central gag in the first episode of that Apple TV+ show Mythic Quest, which I believe we've discussed before.

You'll occasionally see an indie developer complaining about digital storefronts like PSN and whatnot, but there are always two sides to every story, and it's always a partnership. Sony pay a lot of money to put a game on PS Plus (any tier) so it's not like you're robbing anybody blind!

It's nice to be able to help out a developer's wallet, but you've also got to protect your own.

Making It So Since 1987

HeavyMetalWario64DS

Kairu wrote:

After seeing the gameplay for it, I'm definitely adding Need For Speed: Unbound to my list. It really looks like a return to form, in my opinion. Hopefully it can capture the essence of Carbon and Underground 2 and ignite a new spark in the franchise.

That's what I'm hoping for as well. Underground 1 through PS3/X360 Undercover were the best games in the series in my opinion. Pro Street possibly an exception, but still a good game.

It'd be nice if EA brought back pursuit breakers as well, but I doubt they'll do that sadly.

Edited on by HeavyMetalWario64DS

HeavyMetalWario64DS

colonelkilgore

Never played one of the previous entries but I’m feeling Star Ocean: The Divine Force for some reason. Maybe it’s the fact that I quite enjoyed Tales of Arise recently… and this looks to be another well-produced AJRPG.

**** DLC!

nomither6

gotham knights
sonic frontiers
outlast trials
street fighter 6
spiderman 2

those live service games planned from sony

Edited on by nomither6

nomither6

Th3solution

Wondering if Suicide Squad went up or down on people’s lists after the recent reveal. The comments section of the articles are overwhelmingly negative. I was probably never going to be on board because even the early footage seemed a little too multiplayer/co-op focused for my tastes. But now after the gameplay promo showed a bunch of really typical online arena looter-shooter mechanics, I don’t think it will be something that interests me. Having played Avengers within the last year, I’m definitely skeptical about the DC version of the same idea.

RogerRoger

@Th3solution I'll be honest, Suicide Squad was never on my wishlist to begin with (never been the biggest fan of the whole concept) but yeah, after watching that footage, it's gone from being a thing I was gonna give a passing glance when bored to a thing I'm gonna actively avoid.

The fallout has been huge. I think it's too late for a course correction, too, which is a shame, because fans are gonna be stuck with this product and get blamed for "not supporting it" when it tanks.

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@Th3solution I was never interested, but now I'm Super Mega Not Interested.

It's such a shame Rocksteady invested so much time into this project.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

LN78

@Th3solution It's highly doubtful that it can be any less interesting than "Gotham Knights" and the pedigree of the devs (and the franchise) is incredible, so if they can bin the online only stipulation for the single player mode then I'll be tempted at the £30 - £40 price point.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

Th3solution

@RogerRoger @Ralizah @LN78 Yeah, although I have some level of disappointment in the apparent direction of SS, I have to admit that I’m mostly relieved when a game has mediocre reviews of a lackluster reveal because it means one less game I have to worry about wanting! This year already has plenty so I’ll be perfectly content with just 3-4 solid releases. I’ll likely be fine with adding Jedi Survivor and FF16 to Hogwarts to make my 2023 trifecta. It would be nice to be able to devote more of my attention to prior years’ releases.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic