Forums

Topic: Games you've recently beat

Posts 4,581 to 4,600 of 5,489

JohnnyShoulder

@HallowMoonshadow Oh lord, those CG portraits do look bloody awful! šŸ˜‚

I was wondering why that never go full anime felt familiar! I've seen Tropic Thunder countless times, but it still didn't click! šŸ˜‚

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Fight_Teza_Fight

Beat Yakuza 6 last night. The pacing is so much better than in previous entries. Itā€™s also funny just how ridiculous it got when the ā€˜secretā€™ that was on the level of a MGS boss was revealed. I expected the CIA to swoop in but nothing which had already been established in previous games.

The game can be mainlined very quickly. I considered doing a Legends run for the platinum trophy & with skipping cutscenes the game can be beat in 3-4 hours which sounds about right (got turned off by the 115 mini games collectible).
Also the Live Chat mini game really takes the risquƩ factor to a whole new level. Thankfully there was only 2 ladies to interact with. I struggled to pay attention at times not because of the striptease & sounds but because of the live chat!

*littledicky entered the chat
ā€˜Hold meā€™
šŸ˜¶

All in all one of the better Yakuza games. Got Y7 left now but will give it a few months as I only recently rushed to Remastered collection. If I had to rank them this far Iā€™d go:

Y0, Y2, Y6, Y4, Y5, Y1, Y3

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

colonelkilgore

Just rolled the credits on The Order 1886ā€¦ class! Sony are sitting on gold with that ip for sure, only problem is that it seems that they have no interest in pursuing it.

**** DLC!

Thrillho

@Fight_Teza_Fight A heads up for you on the Y6 platinum; if you have a save near the end of the game, you can reload that and play through to the final fight, bump up to top difficulty at that point and get the trophy that way as you will technically complete the game on the top difficulty!

I donā€™t know why you can do it in this game only but it made it the first Yakuza game I got the platinum for.

Thrillho

Fight_Teza_Fight

@colonelkilgore Great setting & characters. Itā€™s a great experience if you picked it up heavily discounted. Unfortunately I think thereā€™s too much ā€˜stinkā€™ around the IP for it to ever come back.
@Thrillho Yep I seen that. I had to restart Yakuza 3 because I started the game on normal & by chapter 3 battles were taking far too long. Had to restart on easy. As for Y6 I considered going for the plat, but got turned off by doing all the mini games & completing the sub stories. Had a really good 20+ hours with the game. Going back would probably sour my experience.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Thrillho

@Fight_Teza_Fight I enjoyed the more streamlined experience of Y6 too but didnā€™t find the trophies too bad other than the one that required you to level a Clan Creator character to max. That one took forever!

Like a Dragon is great fun though and I really liked the change in combat and the new cast. Judgment is also really good too and I have the sequel for that to look forward to at some point.

Thrillho

colonelkilgore

@Fight_Teza_Fight yeah Iā€™d imagine that youā€™re 100% right. I mean, I was out off by the stink myself and only chose to give it a go all these years later because Iā€™ve seen the odd positive comment about it.

**** DLC!

JohnnyShoulder

@Fight_Teza_Fight I may have this totally wrong, but I feel that you are a fellow sacred symbols listener? Just the way you used 'Stink' reminded me of the show! šŸ˜‚

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Fight_Teza_Fight

@JohnnyShoulder Haha yeah! Since day 1. I did consciously think to replace another word I had in mind with ā€˜stinkā€™ because who knows what you get in trouble for these days.
Having listened to the show for years Chris might have had an influence on me, but Iā€™d like to think it was a happy coincidence.
If I start refusing to play games at under 60fps please send help thoughšŸ˜‚.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder @Fight_Teza_Fight Fellow listener here too, although Iā€™m several episodes behind. In fact, unless Iā€™m just imagining it, I think he read one of your questions on an episode a couple months ago, didnā€™t he Johnny?

Iā€™ve picked some phraseology from the show too. I catch myself subconsciously saying ā€œgreetings and salutationsā€ or ā€œthanks for your love, kindness, and supportā€ and using words Iā€™d never say before like eldritch or Cronenberg. šŸ˜…

Colin frequents Push Square a lot; he references the site pretty much every week and has referred to Sammy as his ā€œfriendā€, if Iā€™m not mistaken. I know he at least browses the comments and forums because heā€™s referenced some of the discussions here as well. Iā€™ve often wondered if he has an account here and what his username is. It would be brilliant if heā€™s stealthily posting under a pseudonym to stir discussion, as a way to research for his show.

ā€œWe cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.ā€

KilloWertz

@Kairu That was quick. Can we trade lives for a week and I can probably finish Mass Effect 3 and God of War Ragnarok in the same week then?

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

Dethstorm35

Guardians of the Galaxy - Way better than I thought it was going to be, I really enjoyed it.

Dethstorm35

sorteddan

Just completed the main campaign on The Last Stand: Aftermath (PS5)
Enjoyed it for what it was (quite a budget release I think), a bit repetitive at times and one noticeable difficulty spike in the last area but a fun journey nonetheless. My biggest complaint with it was the buggy nature of some of the trophies may stop me from achieving the platinum, but I guess that's a me problem more than anything.

ā€œWe are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.ā€

Th3solution

According to my PS5ā€™s [sometimes inaccurate] play time counter, after 11 hours of mixed emotions Iā€™ve finally finished Marvelā€™s Avengers base campaign. It took a little longer than I expected, if that time can be trusted. And Iā€™ll say ā€” during the gameā€™s low points it felt even longer. There were definitely times when things dragged and I lost interest. And yet, there were times when I honestly felt delighted and giddy with parts of the game.

I wonā€™t do a full review, partly because there is a ton of game still in there that I havenā€™t experienced and it would be unfair to pass a global judgment. But I really have no desire to spend more time in all the gameā€™s many modes and supplemental missions. Even the main story content became oddly boring toward the second half. I tried a few side activities, and they really werenā€™t any more fun.

Itā€™s really frustrating and weird that the game has so much to offer and yet simultaneously is boring. It seems oxymoronic to have constant fresh gameplay and characters thrown at you at every turn, and yet feel dull and unexciting. It should be fun to get the chance to play as Hulk, then Iron Man, then Black Widow, then Thor, but really I just kept wanting the game to let me go back to play as Kamala. I think the single player aspect of the game would be much better to just focus on one character and I think the start with Kamalaā€™s origin story was really compelling. Then as each hero gets introduced and youā€™re forced to start over with a new moveset to learn, new gear to set up, and new progression skill trees to navigateā€¦. Itā€™s just too much. The game dumps new mechanics on you before you have time to really learn and enjoy what you already had.

And I get it ā€” the campaign was designed to give the player a nice brief chance to be introduced to the characters so you can determine which you gravitate to for the multiplayer and live-service content. But in the end, it made me dislike them all and I canā€™t muster the interest to do more gameplay with any of them. Maybe Iā€™ll leave it downloaded for a while just in case (itā€™s frigginā€™ 100+ GB so I donā€™t want to have to download it again) because I am mildly curious to see the Wakanda content and the Kate Bishop storyline. But every mission for every hero in the main game felt so copy-and-paste that I just donā€™t feel like it will be worth my time to try any more of it.

Recently weā€™ve had a couple discussions about story versus gameplay. I said elsewhere that I can tolerate mediocre gameplay if thereā€™s a good story. And Marvelā€™s Avengers has an okay story in there somewhere. Like I said, Kamala Khan is ironically the most interesting part of a game filled with Troy Bakerā€™s Bruce Banner and Nolan Northā€™s Tony Stark. But even the most prolific voice actors in the business just canā€™t save the awkward storytelling on display here. Not that the story is inherently bad, but itā€™s not relayed well. Individual moments are good, but there is no cohesion. It feels like very poor project direction and the story bends and molds itself to justify the gameplay and live-service elements, rather than the gameplay molding to the story they are trying to tell.

And, not to beat the dead horse, but the most glaring and obvious issue here is the GaaS design. It interrupts any momentum with constant intrusion of ways to spend money or spend more time in pointless missions with no end.

In short, the game is just too inconsistent and lacks polish in several key aspects. Iā€™m a pretty big Marvel apologist, but I canā€™t fully recommend this game without several caveats. If I ever decide to go back and play some of the add-ons or MP missions then Iā€™ll write some updated impressions, but donā€™t hold your breath.

ā€œWe cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.ā€

KilloWertz

@Kairu Only thing you need to be sorry about is refusing to switch lives for a week.

Well, ok, that and playing Elden Ring again. Horizon Forbidden West is the true GotY! #Horizon4Ever #EldenRingSucks #HappilyDying10000TimesIsStupid #HorizonFW2022GOTY

Ok, after fake acting like a fanboy and making fun of some people on Twitter (sorry), I think I'm good. Maybe when you're done dying 10,000 times you'll give Mass Effect a shot.

KilloWertz

@Kairu Yeah, the original trilogy is one of my favorite series of all time. I had never played much more than the beginning of 3 before, but with that playthrough going along really well, I can safely say that now. EA has done a lot wrong over the years, but releasing Mass Effect Legendary Edition last year was a blessing.

Andromeda had a horrible release, but it does seem like people are enjoying it more now playing it many years after release once it got patched up. I remember @LtSarge writing a really glowing review for it earlier this year. I'm actually looking forward to playing it at some point, probably next year. It will be weird playing a Mass Effect game without the crew from the original trilogy, but oh well.

Edited on by KilloWertz

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Really appreciate your final (ish) thoughts on Marvel's Avengers, my friend. It's a shame to see you arrive at such a painfully average conclusion, but honestly, I kinda expected as much. For its campaign to feature such high highs and low lows meant that it was doomed to balance out into mediocrity. What's most damning is that it clearly spends a lot of time and effort trying to convince you to stick around and try the online modes and supplemental missions, and yet your reaction to them remained "eh, no" throughout. I was wondering whether there'd be some great hook buried in the campaign where everything would suddenly click, and you'd get tempted to play more. Oh well.

Not to jump on an excuse to bring up other stuff I like, but the way you describe switching between the playable characters and having to start over each time gives me a headache, especially in the wake of Gotham Knights and the smart, fair way it handled mixing and matching its four playable protagonists. They felt unique, yet played the same. I think that's where the live-service aspect of Avengers betrays itself, because it expects you to reset, grind and earn (or maybe even pay to unlock) each character's skill tree, outfits and other bells and whistles. They should've had a separate system for the campaign, so that us loners / folks with less free time could just revel in the cinematic spectacle and wish-fulfilment of it all.

If any of its forthcoming expansion content does end up reeling you in, then best of luck, but remember what you wrote here. It might just save you a couple of precious hours someday!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Thanks, Rog. I do feel like Iā€™ll like Gotham Knights better.
In the end, playing Marvelā€™s Avengers for ā€œfreeā€ on PS+E meant that at least all I lost was 11 hours of my life rather than $20 also, but Iā€™m not sure I would do it again if I had could go back in time.

One thing I failed to mention that I really like about it (so Iā€™ll end on a high note here) was the DualSense usage. Itā€™s among the best DualSense support by a third party that Iā€™ve experienced. Each heroā€™s powers and moves have unique aspects of the DualSense, including some great usage of the adaptive triggers, which is the part that developers tend to fail at. Shooting Black Widowā€™s guns and grapple each feel unique, and feel completely different from shooting phasar pulses from Iron Man. And Iron Manā€™s rockets feel even different from that. Etc, etc.

Again, missed opportunities aplenty. Itā€™s like certain development teams were working on things independently from other teams in the company, and some teams nailed their part, while other teams failed miserably at their job, and the management/production team just said, ā€œWhat the heck, just string all this together and letā€™s go with it. We gotta get a game out there. All we care is if people buy the latest skin and emote anyways.ā€
Itā€™s just patchwork quilt of varying degrees of quality, and the end product is a mess, even if certain little areas of the quilt are immaculate.

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution I think Black Widow's section was my favourite when you get to control any of the old gang. One of Iron Man's I just flew all the way through when you could. Was never sure that it was meant to be done that way.

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Black Widow was probably one of my favorite to play as, despite her having no true super powers per se. The disappearing/cloaking device was cool, albeit fairly useless in a chaotic brawl like the majority of combat was. Thor was pretty great with the overpowered Bifrost summon, but he came so late that he was way underleveled and Iā€™d already become acquainted with most of the other characters. Hulk was probably my least favorite. He just felt imprecise and ended up being a big target for attacks.

But yeah, I think that Iron Man section was supposed to be that way. Just fly through and avoid obstacles. At least I think thatā€™s how I played it too.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic