Forums

Topic: Games you've recently beat

Posts 3,581 to 3,600 of 5,525

RaZieLDaNtE

@Th3solution Hey there friend.
You know, sometimes, games don´t quite "click" with you. Some games take awhile to get interesting. You keep especting you´ll eventualy find the "hook" of the game and sometimes it doesn´t happen.
Same thing with movies, books, tv shows and anime.
It can be anything that either motivates or keeps you to play a certain game. Art and visual style, characters, gameplay mechanics, storyline, soundtrack.
I enjoyed my time with guacamelee 1 and 2, as well as The Witcher 3 and both dlcs.
@KilloWertz mentioned them and if you like the main game, your gonna like the dlcs.
Heart of Stone is one of the best dlc I´ve ever played and Wine and Blood gives you a completely new map with really good sidequests and a braching main story. But I´m biased. I love the world of the Witcher because of the books and I love story driven games.
Oh, I also didn´t like Assassin´s Creed Black Flag so there is that.
Give Guacamelee another try. Maybe it will "click" with you this time.
Cheers, stay safe ya´ll and have a good one

"Don't regret your past, learn from it. Regrets just make a person weaker".

"Solid Snake"

"Want to be a stronger person? Live the moment of your Present, don´t forget your Past and use it to build up your Future."

"RaZieLDaNtE"

HallowMoonshadow

Lol I said this before on the forum ages ago but when I first played Demon's Souls it took me playing 5 different character classes and about 40 hours of failure before it finally sunk in with my 6th character on how to play it.

I'm stubborn as hell is why. I don't let games beat me very often

Th3solution wrote:

At least you made it nearly to the end of Nier Automata whereas those games I mentioned were all abandoned in the opening few hours.

Corrected... But yeah I getcha sol 😄

And yeah I totally agree with you and your feelings on DLC!

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Yeah — there is something to be said about perseverance. The fact that Bloodborne eventually clicked and other Souls-likes were enjoyable (Jedi Fallen Order) means I think Dark Souls might be something I’d like on a revisitation.

Oh, And I thought you stopped just short of the final 3rd playthrough “true” ending. I remember it as you put it down in silent dissent of where the narrative was going. 😅 So you made all the way until the end credits combat section where you were given aid by all the online players who have sacrificed their game save and you were given the opportunity to sacrifice and delete your game save in order to help others?. If so, then I am impressed with your stubbornness! 😉 I stand corrected! 😂

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@KilloWertz I have heard about the famously superior W3 DLC. It seems like it could have been it’s own game.

@RaZieLDaNtE I agree that sometimes one has to hit a threshold before a game ‘clicks.’ I have not been a Metroidvania fan traditionally, but I’ve warmed up to the genre lately — mostly due to support from the community here. I played Guacamelee before I became active on Push Square, so I expect another attempt might be different.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

colonelkilgore

@render @RaZieLDaNtE yeah it was great fair play. Both the combat and the movement were so intricate… and designed using the same moves for both… it’s pretty genius tbh.

@Th3solution nah mate, it’s definitely not just you. I fell off Hollow Knight really quickly a few years ago, and that is supposed to be most aficionados number one metroidvania. I think it really depends on the mood you’re in when you start something. I never thought that I’d give the genre another go but I kept seeing strong reviews and glowing praise, so I thought I’d give it another shot. I’ll be playing a few more of them now for sure.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Voltan

@colonelkilgore The thing with Hollow Knight (which I only played for a while and didn’t love tbh - but maybe I should give it more time, some other time) is that it’s not exactly a typical metroidvania, as it’s clearly inspired by the Souls games too. Which is obviously part of the reason why it’s so popular

Good job on beating Guacamelee btw, it’s obviously not a huge game but that still seems pretty quick

Voltan

colonelkilgore

@Voltan cheers mate, think beating it took around 13 hours and then another 7ish on top for the plat.

So what you’ve said there about Hollow Knight makes me think that I definitely should’ve clicked with it being a souls-fan and all. I’ve picked up an absolute load of metroidvanias lately though, so I think I’ll leave HK until last… once I feel I fully understand the whole genre and it’s many facets.

**** DLC!

Voltan

@colonelkilgore I actually thought it might've been shorter, 13 hours is not bad for an indie platformer

Voltan

colonelkilgore

@Voltan oh it definitely could’ve been quicker… I just had quite a few moments where I had to do combat rooms many (MANY) times before I got through if you know what I mean.

I’m still unsure if I was better of doing the one playthru on Hard, or if I should’ve played through on normal first and then played through again on hard after.

**** DLC!

render

@colonelkilgore @Voltan I found with Hollow Knight that it took me a long while to really appreciate it. I was playing it alongside something else and kept bouncing between the two. Eventually something clicked and it became my main game. I guess thinking about it it must have been my first souls-like as well as first metroidvania.

One of the things I remember from the beginning of the game is how limited you are in what you can do. It was quite frustrating that I just had to keep going over the same bits again and again and it was only after I’d beaten the first boss and got to the next area did I actually get it.

I’d love to go back and platinum it but my skills are definitely lacking to polish off the remaining trophies 😆

render

colonelkilgore

@render so playing through Guacamelee has definitely gave me reason to return to Hollow Knight at some point... it’s just that having done a bit of research it’s Platinum is off the charts in terms of difficulty.

So I’m gonna play most of the others over the next few years (Castlevania: SotN, Bloodstained: RotN, Axiom Verge, Yoku’s Island Express, Ender Lilies, Salt & Sanctuary, Sundered, F.I.S.T., Blasphemous... and obviously Guacamelee 2) and then I’m gonna have a proper crack at plat’n Hollow Knight after I’ve played pretty a large chunk of what else is available first. I just watched The Completionist’s video about it on YouTube and it looks INSANE! Insane... but phenomenal too.

It’s strange, I honestly never thought I’d be that into metroidvanias... but having finished with Guacamelee, I feel a bit obsessed with them already 😅

edit. Also, does anyone know anything about whether Grime will release on PlayStation... it looks class?

**** DLC!

RaZieLDaNtE

@colonelkilgore Hi there friend.
It´s like they say, once you try it you can't go back.
MetroidVanias have existed for awhile now and there are some really good ones out there.
Games like Hollow Knight (probably one of the most difficult games to Platinum), Castlevania: SotN (my personal favourite Castlevania game), Guacamelee 2 (dimensional swapping), Blasphemous (very unique art style) and Death´s Gambit Afterlife, wich is a free update that changes the game completely.
It literaly becomes much more like a MetroidVania game. And it´s on PS4 now as well.
I´ll be playing Sundered on PC. I´ll get you some feedback on it when I can
As for Grime, it´s a PC and Google Stadia game only for now.
Cheers, stay safe and have a good one

"Solid Snake"

"Want to be a stronger person? Live the moment of your Present, don´t forget your Past and use it to build up your Future."

"RaZieLDaNtE"

colonelkilgore

@RaZieLDaNtE hey buddy, thanks for the info. I have been tempted to make Castlevania: SotN my next metroidvania actually... i think you’ve just sealed the deal with your ranking. Gonna try and play it sometime in the first half of 2022.

Just added Deaths Gambit to my wish list too 👍

If you hear anything about Grime for PlayStation definitely let me know.

**** DLC!

Thrillho

@colonelkilgore I adored Hollow Knight and wanted to get that shiny plat to show my love for it but it was too much for me.

Most of the trophies are fine but the combat challenges (the pantheons) were too much as you have to fight multiple bosses back to back with no respite. I stopped trying before that experience at the end tainted the rest of the game.

It does seem to be a game people utterly love or just don’t get on with though.

Thrillho

colonelkilgore

@Thrillho yeah, those pantheons seem to be no joke... and in all honesty, I do think the platinum will probably be a bit beyond me but I do like a ‘project’.

I do think I’ll click with it the next time I play it though. When I tried it back in 2018, I didn’t even know what a metroidvania was. So I had no expectations in terms of the game’s fundamentals... my only expectation was that everyone keeps saying how amazing the game was. By the time I return to it, I’ll have played (and hopefully plat’d) most of the ‘big’ mv’s... so I’ll a good idea about what lays ahead (even if HK does raise the bar in most areas).

I’m looking forward to my next one already 🤣

**** DLC!

HallowMoonshadow

Even if I personally found it a bit easy to break it's difficulty in half I did enjoy going through Dark Soul's interconnected world once more.

It's the one area that I would say isn't beat* by it's newer entries (baring the rushed back end) thanks to it's freedom of choice (even if there IS a set path and most places do have enemies far too tough for most players to handle). It's nice just when you just visually see how it all connects together.

*It's never bothered me personally how Dark Souls 3 has a linear progression path thanks to how vast and wide some of it's areas are. Dark Souls 2 does give a number of different paths at the start to chose from (Though like 1 there's an obvious progression path). I'm also pretty boring and mostly stick to the "correct" route myself lol

Seeing as you've got the Dragon God from Demon's Souls (Albeit with a jolly ol' christmas hat) as your avatar... I take it you're playing that now? Or going to?

As for Nier... Nope I did it all Sol. (Well for the endings at least... I bought some trophies from the trophy shop for some of the inane stuff I didn't do)

I thought that particular moment was incredibly manipulative and made me roll my eyes so hard I could see the back of my own teeth

I mean it's obvious the game was programmed with those "game saves" into the credits otherwise how did the first person to get through to the end without assistance from other "players" to "give up" their save? Not to mention you know SOMEONE out there has no doubt tried to thin those "saves" out to no avail

... Though I did enjoy the music as emotionally manipulative as it was...

Like I said before that's one thing I can't deny about the game! 😄

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Yeah - I had a point of weakness this past month and finally bought Demon’s Souls when I saw it for sub-$40 during all these crazy sales. It’s been very slow to discount, so I snatched it up and I plan to play it soon. I think it’ll be my next PS5 project as soon as I wrap up Rift Apart (which might be this week).

I’m a little anxious about starting it. I’m not sure why. Probably because these Soulsborne games are scary and hard. 😛 But the consensus is it’s easier than the other FromSoft games. And, although a completely different style, it’s easier than Returnal which I recently made it all the way through. So it should be fine, right? [gulp]

And just to add to your questioning of my sanity — one of the other games I picked up on a steep sale last month was Nier Replicant. 😅 I think it looks interesting!

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution I reckon you will be fine, after you have gotten used to the change of pace and the need to block, parry and dodge.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RaZieLDaNtE

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Hi there friend.
So you played trough Nier Automata and got the True ending. Yeah they kinda do something similar in the previous one, but i won´t say what it is for spoiler reasons.
But I think it´s a pretty interesting idea nonetheless.
And you are absolutely right, not only the sounstrack is sublime, it is manipulative as heck.
The game just wants you to feel everything these characters go trough. I think it´s great.
Also, being able to buy trophies is exactly the kind of thing Yoko Taro would implement. Crazy Genius.
Oh and did you play just Dark Souls 1 or all of them? Just curious.

"Solid Snake"

"RaZieLDaNtE"

RaZieLDaNtE

@Th3solution Hi there friend.
Demon´s Souls is kinda easier than other Souls games....... Just don´t die to much in Human Body form.
The game get´s harder..... Fun, right?
If it is the very first Souls game your playing, heres some tips:

• Always have your shield ready until you are able to quick dodge roll;
  • Get better at dodge roll. Then you can two hand weapons and do a bit more damage;
  • Don´t waste Boss Souls. They will be valuable for weapons and spells;
  • Kill the black knight in Tower of Latria. That´s world 3-2 from letf to right. Trust me on this.;
  • Learn enemies and Bosses paterns, be patient and don´t get greedy in a fight and you´ll be fine.
    If you can beat Returnal, my personal GOTY, you can beat Demon´s Souls no problem.
    Nier Replicant is great. Amazing soundtrack, better visuals and even better gameplay than the original.

"Solid Snake"

"RaZieLDaNtE"

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic