Forums

Topic: Games you've recently beat

Posts 3,461 to 3,480 of 5,490

KilloWertz

@Voltan Glad you enjoyed it as well. Near the end of the game nearly broke me though, with the cart section especially. I died so many times I lost count, especially since it took me several hours. Killing the boss at the very end was frustrating too, but that cart section was ridiculous for me.

It was disappointing since I otherwise loved the game. Obviously I still highly enjoyed it and am looking forward to the sequel. I just doubt I would ever play it again because of the last chapter.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

Kidfried

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Burch not voicing Aloy? That's the stupidest thing. More than the braids or the red hair, Aloy is Burch. I don't know if I'd even buy Horizon 2 without her in it.

@Voltan Plague Tale is surprisingly good. Even though it's already well appreciated online. It hasn't got The Last of Us' budget and production value, but it makes the most of what it is for sure. Only downside to me was the gameplay in the last fifth of the game, which focused too much on the game's weakest asset: combat.

Kidfried

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Yep. It's actually quite fun. My plan is to just ignore the gacha elements for as long as possible (although I'll do pulls when I happen to acquire enough materials in-game to do ten at a time so I'm guaranteed a 4-star character) and see if it eventually impacts the core experience of the game. My guess is that endgame minmaxing is heavily reliant on gacha, for the best weapons, materials, and characters, but my plan is to mainly do the story stuff and daily commissions. I'll probably play in small bursts after I hit adventure rank 20 and snag Aloy, so I'll probably remain behind story updates enough that the gacha won't be an issue.

So far, it still feels like a proper game to me. Really enjoying it, even though my new bluetooth adapter doesn't want to play nice with my controllers, so I'm forced to use the Steam Controller for a proper pad + gyro experience. It took a bit of getting used to, but this game actually feels pretty good with the Steam Controller (something that has been locked up in my closet for years because I hated the weird trackpads and tiny in-set buttons). DS4 would have been my preference, but I'll probably be hanging that up as my go-to PC controller until Sony has the sense to mass produce another adapter for the PC like Microsoft does for their Xbox controller.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Thrillho

@Voltan Hopefully you didn’t get too frustrated with the combat in the enemy rush sections!

But yes, I was very impressed with it, especially as a PS+ freebie.

Thrillho

render

@Voltan It is a great game so good to see you enjoyed it. The game was so similar to TLoU in terms of the way it played, well except for all the rats. Definitely a welcome surprise for a PS+ game.

There were a few bits like others have mentioned where the combat gets a bit frustrating but I’ll forgive that considering the budget.

render

HallowMoonshadow

Even weirder is that in Genshin Impact it actually tells you the voice actor for every single character on their bio screen except for Aloy @Kidfried.

They have her official Japanese voice actress too apparently for the japanese voice set which is even stranger as to why Ashley doesn't...

Lol that was pretty much the point of my review way back when wasn't it @Ralizah? Actually really fun and enjoyable to play with it pretty much ticking all the right boxes aesthetically with some nice world building, decent enough main storyline and gorgeous music...

... but the TERRIBLE Gacha elements and mobile game design ruin it for me.

I went back to it a bit before Aloy and got sucked in pretty hard but once she dropped I got her and then I was out and don't plan on going back again no matter who else is added to it 😅

Not quite sure what's gonna happen with Genshin to be honest in regards to China's new rules with gaming they released a while back.

They singled out Venti for being very feminine and that it's against the new laws put in place in that it's "inappropriate" content... 😕

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Voltan

@KilloWertz @Thrillho I needed probably 6-7 attempts for that one. My biggest problem with some of the combat sections was that you would often respawn just before some unskippable cutscene and also if there were some resources in the area you’d have to collect everything again.

Voltan

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy A few of the males in this game probably violate the CCP's new standards on depictions of gender, but Venti is especially interesting since he seems pretty integral to the plot thus far. It's not like miHoYo can just strip the character out to comply with chinese regulations.

I guess they could always substitute pronouns and voice actors to 'change' the gender of the character, which would suck.

It is a little depressing seeing China's patriarchal communist government trying to drown the country's burgeoning game industry in the bathtub.

Well, for the moment, I'm able to ignore the 'wish' menu and it's fairly indistinguishable from $60 open world RPGs I've played in the past otherwise, so we'll see if the gacha stuff ends up tainting the experience for me.

Good shout on that review you did. I think I'm going to go back and re-read it!

Edited on by Ralizah

KilloWertz

@Voltan Yeah, both things did kind of suck. That also didn't help the cart section that you had to keep watching the cutscene over and over. I wish I could have done it in 6-7 tries though.

Overall, still a pretty good game. It's more or less just unfortunate that there were a few issues, obviously the last chapter of the game being a bigger deal for me.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

HallowMoonshadow

Yeah there's definitely a couple of very effeminate looking men in Genshin ... I think In my review I even briefly mentioned Venti looking quite girly (No way is that a problem for me but I did think he was a girl when I first saw the design... 😅)

I believe they singled out "Shin Megami Tensei 4 Final" (Apocalypse I assume?) in those new set of rules too for it's decpiction of religious figures @Ralizah...

If it isn't the gatcha stuff that ruins you in GI it'll probably be all the grinding for ascension materials and all the other mobile nonsense crap like the resin limit and re-doing bosses over and over and over...

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

HallowMoonshadow

As for a game I've actually beaten... I zipped through Dead Rising 2 during my week off work (Thanks half term!)

I really rather enjoyed it actually (I did play it before once on PS3) . I know it's not really like them but this is about the closest I can get design wise to Dynasty Warriors.

The combat is basic and there's a billion enemies on screen.. But the maps for each area of DR2's Las Vegas expy aren't too huge and it's not completely mindless button mashing.

Probably the only game where weapons get destroyed after a certain amount of usage makes sense due to the slaphdash/haphazard nature of the combo weapons being made.

And the combo weapons can be pretty fun too with you making a light sabre with gems and a torch, a Blanka mask that electrocutes zombies, knife gloves from a pair of boxing gloves and a bowie knife and so on...

Plus I do like the 3 day time limit system that actually makes you think and prepare for what objectives you wanna shoot for or go scrounging for items, health and so on.

Bosses are a little weak gameplay wise but overall I rather enjoyed it.

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I'm not surprised at all. Years back some sort of Hindu group got angry at the game for depicting the deity Krishna wearing a fedora and allowing him to be fused and used in battle.

😂 IV: Apocalypse is a gem.

render

As I haven't seen too many people mentioning Alan Wake I just thought I'd do a quick writeup now I've finished it. I was coming at AW from the point of view of being a big fan of Control, which for me had a great mix of gameplay and story elements. The environments in Control felt quite varied even though they were all taking place in one building, and as you unlocked the different abilities the gameplay really opened up.

Alan Wake definitely feels like the opposite of this in many ways. While the story is well done and the characters within are interesting I didn't feel that there was nearly as much mystery in the world as I was expecting. That was possibly due to me playing the AWE DLC in Control and that being centred around the happenings in Bright Falls but even so I guess I was just hoping for a lot more.

The biggest problem I had with AW though is that the gameplay is just really frustrating. The enemy types don't really change throughout the entire game, and the way you go about fighting them also remains the same. It gets especially annoying when there are bigger mobs of enemies coming at you from all around. Because the combat relies on two elements - first staggering them and then shooting them - you are constantly juggling between the two things and having to reload each of those elements gets really old quite quickly. There were some points were I felt I'd really got the hang of it and actually start to enjoy it only for it to be disproved a moment later when slightly more enemies than you can handle at once appear.

The environments don't help as there's not really any change between the start of the main game and the end of the DLC, it's all very samey - dull forests and wooden barns / cabins. There are collectables available but at some point I just gave up on those as I just felt I wanted to get through the game and see out the story.

Anyway long story short I did enjoy this game on some level just no where near as much as I was hoping I would. It's definitely not the classic it was made out to be but I'd still recommend it to anyone who is interested in the Control universe and enjoyed the AWE DLC. It's one I'm glad I played but not one I'm likely to play again.

render

Kidfried

@render It's definitely an overrated game, but at the time the cinematic experience was just really impressive. Not all games age the same. And the gameplay wasn't really fun in 2000-something either.

Thanks for sharing your impressions

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

LtSarge

Just finished Tearaway Unfolded on PS4. Such a great game, it was really relaxing to play, which is exactly what I needed now. I'd already played the original game on Vita so I was familiar with most of the game, but I did notice all the new content they added, which was cool! Furthermore, the transition from Vita to PS4 controls was well done. It felt just as natural to play with the DS4 as with the Vita. The only issue I had the game was the camera, which was absolutely atrocious some of the times. It would zoom in too much on the main character and I could barely see where I was going. Other than that, I had a great time with the game and it's definitely one of the most creative 3D platformers you can play on PS4.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

nessisonett

I finished the first Wario Land. Imagine Mario except it wasn’t fun. That’s Wario Land.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LtSarge

@nessisonett I've been wanting to try it out for quite some time now but maybe I shouldn't, lol.

Have you played the other Wario Land games? I remember having a good time with Wario Land 2 and Wario Land 3 is probably the best game I've played in this series. Still haven't played Wario Land 4 or The Shake Dimension yet though.

LtSarge

nessisonett

@LtSarge No, it’s my first Wario Land game. I’ve got the others though and I was planning on playing them to see if they’re any better.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

sorteddan

Just completed The Last Campfire (PS4) - a pleasantly short adventure/puzzle game where you control what may be a creature in a sack or maybe a sentient pillowcase to help other thingies?! to 'move on' by solving a variety of self-contained puzzles. Absolutely excellent atmosphere, musical score and narration keeps it compelling enough to keep me progressing in the hope I would figure out what the story was all about. One or two puzzles stumped me for 10 mins or so but non were mind-bendingly difficult.
Done start to finish (with platinum) in just over 6 hours.
If you are looking for a short game with little challenge maybe give it a go.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

LtSarge

@nessisonett You should definitely give them a shot as the series starts establishing its own identity after the first game.

LtSarge

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic