Forums

Topic: Games you've recently beat

Posts 2,141 to 2,160 of 5,525

RogerRoger

Picture the scene.

You've been enjoying a side-scrolling 2.5D superhero brawler on your PSP for a good six hours. You've found it a little wonky, but charming and with a good sense of humour.

Most of all, you've been enticed by the idea of moral choices in its dialogue. You've switched between your protagonist's regular costume (which is upgraded by being kind to NPCs) and his darker outfit (which, conversely, becomes stronger the more of a jerk you are) and settled on pursuing this novel idea of being a well-established hero who "goes off the rails" somewhat.

You can't wait to see how this all pans out.

You reach the final boss. It's an undemanding, repetitive slog with some obnoxiously loud screeching coming from its writhing mass, but the prospect of seeing your neighbourhood bow to your corrupted whim makes for a uniquely tantalising motivation.

You swing your final punch.

The action freezes. The boss is motionless, and you're hanging in mid-air, mid-recoil. A big red dialogue box pops up, filling the screen.

"Congratulations," it says, "you've enslaved the city! Press X to Continue."

You comply, and find yourself back on the main menu.

No final cutscene. No credits. Nothing. Just an option, previously greyed out, to try New Game Plus (ostensibly to explore an alternate outcome). You think for a second; did it glitch? You are playing a second-hand copy, after all, one with some light wear on the UMD. Your PSP is getting on a bit, too.

Maybe it's because you tried to be evil; superheroes aren't supposed to turn bad, after all. Perhaps choosing the heroic path will grant a more satisfying conclusion?

Six hours, though.

You look it up on YouTube.

Nope. Same dialogue box, only this time it says "Congratulations, you've saved the city!"

It wasn't a glitch. The UMD is working fine, and your PSP is doing its duty. There's nothing missing. That's literally how the game ends, whatever you choose.

Spider-Man: Web of Shadows - Amazing Allies Edition, ladies and gentlemen.

I suffer, so you don't have to.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Oh dear oh dear. Not quite YOU’RE WINNER but it definitely comes close!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

HallowMoonshadow

... That's one hell of an anticlimactic ending @RogerRoger 😂

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

jdv95

@RogerRoger damn that is bad. horribly inept from the devs.

that reminds me of a possession horror movie which also has no actuall ending. the ending is just a text on screen saying "to find out more go to this website" or something. worst part? that site does not even exist anymore.

jdv95

RogerRoger

@nessisonett @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Funnily enough, if it had been an older game, I wouldn't have minded so much; alas, this was released in 2008, for crying out loud. It's also on PS2, and is a slap in the face for those who hadn't yet upgraded to the PS3 or Xbox360 (on which the "full" version was released).

Oh well. I'm playing Shattered Dimensions now, and it's more than making up for it.

@jdv95 That sounds comically tragic! Must've been from an innocent time when people didn't realise domain names could expire; still, even if the website were active today, it's a cheap move.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

mookysam

@nessisonett Cheers for the tracks! The original forest theme is definitely nicer, but it seems to vary quite a lot with other tracks. I imported the CD soundtrack for SC from Japan and it's been great to listen to while doing mundane tasks! It's interesting you mention FFX because I felt the same way regarding the new versions. Some were nicer and others were worse and lost a lot of their impact.

Damn that's nice and jazzy @Ralizah. It reminds me of some of Mario 3D World's jazzy tunes!

Yikes, what an absolutely dreadful ending @RogerRoger. Not sure what the devs were thinking there!

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

LieutenantFatman

So I finally finished the FF7 remake. Enjoyed it a lot, I think they did really well with it.

I rate the new combat system and they've done really well at fleshing out the city and making it feel more real. They've done pretty well in capturing the personalities of most of the characters and updating them.

Only things I'd moan about are; I feel they changed the last section a bit too much, some bits went on a little too long (would happily skip chapter 11) and when I went into a small cafe, there were several cloned npcs all sitting next to each other.

Edit: On reading some theories about the ending, I don't mind it so much actually, seems like they could be trying something a bit different.

But hey ho, still excited for the next part, whenever that is. Now to decide what to play next.

@RogerRoger
That does sound terrible, must have been a real rush job. Even on completing games back on my Atari ST, I remember better endings than that. And finishing those games was usually stupidly difficult so you wouldn't expect 99% of people to reach the end.

Edited on by LieutenantFatman

LieutenantFatman

jdv95

@RogerRoger i think it's a movie from the early 2010's. not that old yet.

jdv95

IamJT

Just finally got through Resident Evil 2 Remake. It definitely lived up to the hype and I will be going for the platinum the rest of this week. Looking forward to trying to beat it on the harder difficulties and with the time constraints to get the S rank trophies. I may have to use a guide in order to find all the documents and raccoons because I did not find them all on my first run.

As for the game itself I really enjoyed it. I only ever played small parts of the original when I was a child so playing it through for the first time without any spoilers was an awesome experience and may be my favorite of the year so far. Lighting in the game is fantastic and helps build the sense of dread the entire time and the game design itself is top tier. I had no idea what a well constructed game it was. Each new area was beautiful and menacing and the art direction was incredible.

“ You must become obsessed with obtaining what you are trying to get, you have to be obsessed with it.” -CT Fletcher

Rudy_Manchego

Not really a game beating but I did manage to defeat the Defiled Watchpuppy of the Old Lords on Bloodborne after close to 60+ attempts. Next up is defiled amygdala as I painstakenly inch towards the platinum trophy (that has become more of a personal mission then anything tied to the plat).

Some may say my sanity is slipping in this current climate...

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Thrillho

@IamJT Nice write up. Good luck with the platinum! And welcome to the forums

Thrillho

LieutenantFatman

@Rudy_Manchego
Ah, the Watchpuppy of the Old Lords, brings back memories, definitely a tough one to bring down.
Which weapons are you using the most?

LieutenantFatman

Rudy_Manchego

@LieutenantFatman I am doing the dungeons after starting a NG+ so for normal levels/dungeons I am favouring a 10+ Rakuyo, mainly because of the pain I went through getting it in the Old Hunters DLC (seriously, screw those shark things at the bottom of the well) but also because I just like it. However, for bosses I vary it up. I took on the Watchpuppy with Ludvigs Holy Blade with increased Beast damage blood gems. I know that serrated is better for beasts but I found the transformed large blade did the best blunt damage to dent his armour. Made it a long fight though which was the issue since the animation is long with the blade and you can only get one swipe so it really became an issue if I got impatient and tried to get a sneaky attack in.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

LieutenantFatman

@Rudy_Manchego
Oh nice, the Rakuyo is a stylish weapon, always scary facing someone in pvp who has that.
Ludvigs Holy Blade, always a favourite, pretty devastating when it hits. The big slow weapons are tons of fun but yeah, they do leave you vulnerable.

LieutenantFatman

Rudy_Manchego

@LieutenantFatman Yeah it is fun to use and looks really stylish. It is also pretty good on endurance though it is easy to miss people with it.

Holy Blade is largely my heavy hitter though I know some prefer the hunters axe or the big old hammer. It also has good length (ooer) so is handy for taking out heavies with a bit of distance for when i inevitably mess up the timings.

HallowMoonshadow

I've just beaten The Last Of Us

That was certainly a journey.

For being seven years old (In seven days apparently) it does hold up fairly well.

I don't think it's a masterpiece (the Pittsburg chapter was a bit of a lull for me and it's use of jump cutting/time skipping made some of it's scenes not as impactful as they could've been to me personally) It's quite good though and as a whole I found it fairly engaging with some very good performances from it's leads of Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson.

... The Last Of Us 2 will be something I'll be playing sooner rather then later hopefully.

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

HallowMoonshadow

... It would be fairly good playing TLoU on a PS4 I suppose (Which has the DLC bundled in I'm sure).

Not sure if I can justify buying that or getting the DLC for ps3 though at the moment though @LN78

As for the whole ending sequence I can't say I particularly trusted the fireflies (Even If they did make a cure I don't believe they'd be so noble in sharing it or have the means to distribute it with everyone) and I pretty much side with Joel's actions during it.

For the finale I'd like to hope Ellie still trusts Joel even if she knows it's complete BS in what he's saying... I don't think that's the case though sadly

As for the storytelling...

I don't suppose you saw the review/impressions piece I wrote for Day's Gone a few weeks back?

I couldn't get invested in Deacon was the main source of my problems. Didn't like him as a protagonist and found him and his story incredibly uninteresting. I was more invested in the bike personally, especially after I put the nice Concrete Genie decal on it.

Thought the storytelling on a whole was rather trite as well.

TLoU towers over Days Gone quite easily for both characters and storytelling for me.

The gameplay (aside from a few pesky bugs) felt smoother though in DG and I really did enjoy traversal on the bike.

JohnnyShoulder

@Arugula I can echo the comments from @LN78, @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy. Highly recommended if you enjoyed the first game and plan to get the 2nd.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

JohnnyShoulder

@Arugula Oh yeah sorry the DLC Left Behind. It is not that that long either, so should be able to do it in an evening or two.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Glad you enjoyed it. I echo what others have said. In particular, as @LN78 points out, the ending is what really sealed it for me. Of course the end and the decisions made there only carry the heavy impact because of the great character and relationship development that has occurred for the 20 or so hours preceding. And you are at a little disadvantage playing now, as far as the story impact, because you knew Ellie and Joel are going to survive. When I was playing, there was a moment I thought Ellie would end up being sacrificed. Since the story conclusion was so effectual and satisfying to me personally, I’m not sure how I feel about playing the second game. It’s a game I didn’t think needed a sequel. I sort of want to just leave it in my mind and to my own imagination what happens to everyone after the events of the first game. Alas, the sequel is going to get loads of praise and 10/10’s so I think I’ll end up playing it eventually out of sheer curiosity.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic