Forums

Topic: Danganronpa

Posts 321 to 340 of 435

Th3solution

@Ralizah Ah, ok I remember. It has been a while since DR1, but it’s coming back now.

There have been some great trials throughout this series.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

HallowMoonshadow

Ahh thank you very much @Th3solution!

I stopped playing just after they reached the virtual world so I obviously shan't look at your previous post.

Not sure when I'll get back on it... Barely had time for the game club tbh!

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy No problem. I’m continuing in at my pace and if/when you get a chance to jump back in I’ll be interested in your thoughts. This is a good chapter and the writers really are quite creative and skilled to keep coming up with these scenarios.

I hope I can make headway in Ch 5, but I’m also really enjoying RE2 and I flip back and forth depending on my mood. Also being able to play DR3 on Vita means I use it if I fancy some portable game time.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

Continuing my slow methodical journey through Danganronpa V3. Just finished Chapter 5.

I do think this is my favorite chapter of the game so far. It was really well done. It kept me guessing all the way to the end, just waiting for the next twist because even as I discovered the truth that Kaito was alive and was the killer, I wasn’t even quite sure that wasn’t going to change until the final judgment was passed and the chapter ended. I kept waiting for Kokichi to jump out and reveal he was alive also. I had suspected K1B0 the early on, and then I thought it was actually Maki. Basically the chapter was so well weaved together that just about every character was a reasonable suspect at some point during the trial. One thought I had that I was going with right up until the end was that both Kaito and Kokichi were alive and staged the video and Kaito survived the poison by gradually building up an immunity to Strike-9 this whole time (maybe I’ve seen The Princess Bride too many times 😂) and that’s why he’s been coughing up blood and sweating the whole game. That way Kokichi could have drank the antidote and they both survived. But alas, it appears Kokichi really did get crushed. I assume I’ll learn more about this virus Kaito had later in the game.

The only hole in the logic that questions me is that the electobomb and electrohammers apparently disable some electronic devices but not others. (Maki is able to climb in and pilot the Existal right after disabling it with the hammer, the video camera and hydraulic press still work after electrobomb, but the Monokuma cameras and the hydraulic press sensor do not, etc, etc. Perhaps I missed the explanation of how these EMP type devices work; I can assume the bombs are maybe just specific to only electronic sensors.

And I guess I owe Kochici an apology. 😉 I’ve disliked that guy the whole time, and he really redeemed himself there right at the end. He was truly wanting to end the killing game and played the role of the agitator as a ploy to try to save everyone and even sacrificed his own life to try to bring down Monokuma. I guess I’ll have to recant my previous criticism of him 😄

Overall just a really fantastic chapter.

@Kidfried @Ralizah

Ralizah

@Th3solution Chapter 5's trial is my favorite in the series. Great mystery, solid character development for Kokichi, highly emotional storytelling, and I loved the way the execution played out. It gripped me from beginning to end.

Really interested to hear what you think about the game's final chapter. It's a doozy!

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Th3solution

I’ve finally completed DV3

And I just have to say... Wow.
“Mind blowing” would be one way to describe it. Chapter 5 really throws everything out there doesn’t it? 😄

First of all, I can’t say I didn’t see the plot point coming of the killing game being filmed and showcased for entertainment of the populace. But although they telegraphed that possibility fairly early on, they way it was implemented was quite unique and the subsequent discussion about hope, despair, lies, and truth was really where the game set itself apart from other similar works of fiction, the likes of “The Truman Show” or more closely related “The Hunger Games” and “The Maze Runner.” In fact, one of the great decoys was that the outside world is in fact not apocalyptic; rather it’s just a normal peaceful world with people too bored of it and looking for the killing game to feel a measure of excitement and entertainment.

The fourth wall breaking is just wonderfully implemented, and the fact that the game overtly points out that the whole purpose of the game is to entertain the bored and emotionally disconnected society who want to see suffering and despair, well it just makes you second guess yourself the player playing the game. Monokuma and Tsumugi are basically calling out you, the actual player, as being the whole source of the problem for these characters and only when you realize your own role in the perpetuation of the games and the suffering of the [fictional] characters, and then choose to not participate, only then does the game give a solid conclusion. Never would have thought that I was actually “The Ultimate Despair” this whole time.

Of course I would have been fine if it just ended after I refused to vote or participate in Monokuma’s games with everyone dying and the whole world blowing up, but the epilogue showing the 3 students climb from the rubble and survive seemed to go against the whole theme there. I guess it gave an opportunity to discuss the immateriality of truth or deceit, as either can cause hope or despair, and that’s a pretty deep philosophical discussion. But it’s almost like they left it open for another sequel with that scene, but the whole 4 hour section before that was brilliant to build up to the conclusion and the end of Danganronpa.

On a more superficial note, it is interesting to look back now at Tsumugi, in that her plainness and lack of much interesting going on with her character during the whole game is of course all done for a purpose since she is the author and mastermind of this fictional setting. I was fooled just like everyone else. I did have the thought a few times that she could be role playing and impersonating someone, but the cospox always shot down that theory; not realizing that all the characters in the game series are fictional so are fair game for her to impersonate. Which, by the way, what a wonderful love letter to fans of the series to see every single character from the previous 3 games make an appearance. (I say that, but actually — Komaru Naegi didn’t make an appearance that I remember, so it was just the students in the previous 2 killing games). I don’t think they skipped a single character from D1 or D2. What a blast it was to see that.

Overall, it is a fitting end to the series, and just chock full of philosophical points to ponder and skilled bait-and-switch moments of entertainment.

Tagging @Kidfried and @Ralizah and anyone else who’s interested. Would love to know your thoughts as well.

Blooper987

Hey guys! I just started getting into Danganronpa about two months ago, and it honestly has to be one of the best series out there! After I got into Ace Attorney early last year, I started to look for more games like it, and Danganronpa was always one of the top picks, but I never really looked into it. After GameXplain released their play through of the first game, I was immediately hooked. I haven’t actually played the games yet but I have watched playthroughs on YouTube. I was going to wait for them to release on switch, because that’s my main console, but I’ll probably be picking them up on PS4 sometime in the future since a switch release looks unlikely at this point. I have watched every episode of both seasons of the anime and played the V3 demo on my computer.

My favorite game in the series is probably the original. Most likely because I haven’t played them and only seen them being played by others. If not the original it would have to be V3. Everything in that game looks beautiful, it has a great story, and it has Himiko, who is best girl.

Also, shoutout to @Ralizah who helped introduce me to the game. If I hadn’t seen your profile pic I might have never gotten into the series.😂

My favorite characters in each game are

Trigger Happy Havoc: Kyoko, Chihiro, & Byakuya

Goodbye Despair: Chiaki, Sonia, Gundham

V3: Himiko, and basically everyone else but Miu and Korekiyo (V3 has almost no bad characters)

I actually haven’t watched gameplay of Ultra Despair Girls yet. It looks very different and I’m pretty unsure what to think of it so far.

Well guess I’ll end this off with

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/yugioh-seventh-sense/imag...

Nyeh!

Edited on by Blooper987

Ralizah

@Th3solution How did I miss this post?

I don't necessarily think the game features a fourth-wall break in the final trial, although it's tempting to read it that way initially. I certainly remember the uproar when fans thought Kodaka was attacking his fanbase as deviants for enjoying his work. I mean, don't get me wrong, there's definitely a level of meta-commentary when it comes to increasingly extreme entertainment being used to entertain increasingly bored people living in affluent countries who want for nothing and thus are seeking to re-establish, even if vicariously, some sense of connection with their primal survival instincts. I don't necessarily think DRV3 was going full Funny Games with the moral condemnation, though. The crucial thing to remember about the in-universe audience who are the "ultimate despair" of DRV3 is that they're fully aware that the participants are flesh-and-blood humans.

The one area where I think he was most directly talking to his actual audience (us, the humans playing it) was in his critique of capitalism as it relates to the production of art. There's a sense of 'played out'-ness that is present throughout V3, like the writers were having to be a bit extra and ostentatious to make up for their lack of originality when it comes to actual story content. So, instead of one villain, or two villains, the villain has offspring of a kind, and they're all possessed of extreme personalities. The personalities of certain characters in V3 itself, like Miu Iruma, often seem too extreme even for Danganronpa. The world, we're told, isn't just taken over by a death cult, but is completely uninhabitable.

Danganronpa V3, we discover, is actually the 53rd installment in the series in the fictional history of this game, and the degree of extremity of the plot elements and characterizations are a reflection of a fear on the part of the developers that the series will keep being successful and be forced to essentially flanderize itself and resort to ridiculous gimmicks to survive commercially. The creator of Danganronpa has made it pretty clear that he was done with the property after this entry, and so he used his final entry in the series to talk directly with the audience about why he didn't want Danganronpa to continue endlessly.

This communication also happens via the game's complete deconstruction of the ideological core of the first two entries. Hope/Despair are dispensed with, and instead a dialogue about the value and nature of truth, and how that value relates to appreciation of art, replaces it, and I actually really enjoyed this much more coherent messaging.

Are you going to engage with the post-game content? It's a bit overwhelming in scale, but I really loved the hours and hours of interactions between characters who would never had had an opportunity to meet in the actual storylines of the games.

@Blooper987 Always happy to see more people getting into this series. And yeah, I don't think it's ever going to a Nintendo console. No idea why, as it's, quite unironically, perfect for the Switch, but there you go.

I've never played these games on a TV, and probably never will, as they fit the Vita like a glove, IMO. Until everything was ported off of that handheld, this series was, far and away, my favorite set of exclusives for the system.

Edited on by Ralizah

Th3solution

@Ralizah Yeah, I wonder if the tag glitched in notifying you because I figured you’d be interested in seeing how my playthrough finished up. 😄

And that does make sense that there is a distinguishing separation of the in-game audience and the real world player (us) in that one is presented to advocate killing for entertainment and the other has full knowledge that the game is completely make-believe and virtual. So, it doesn’t actually translate 1:1 for the player to shoulder the blame. It does make Ch. 4 seem that much more interesting though, in that the murder did take place in a virtual setting. So yeah, I agree there are undertones of commentary being made, and like most good art, some interpretation may be personalized. I’m not sure there is an intentional understated caution being levied about society’s disregard for human life, but I’m pretty sure it’s not a direct indictment of the player per se.
It was indeed genius to have this version actually be the 53rd season of the “game” and like you say, was a deftly placed device to make the point clear about not carrying the series on endlessly. I really thought that was clever.

As far as post-game content, I’m not sure if I’ll engage right away. I really do want to see some of the interactions and supplemental story, but I’m not sure if I’ll do it now that I’ve moved on to other games. I’m definitely keeping my copy of the game (I have the whole series in physical format for Vita) and so as long as my Vita continues to survive then I’ll always have the option to go back.

Edited on by Th3solution

Kidfried

Hey, I didn't receive the tag either @Th3solution. I'll definitely come back to you in a bit, after having read your impressions.

Kidfried

Th3solution

@Kidfried Yeah, I’d love to get your take on it too. Not sure why tagging didn’t work for you both, but better late than never. 😄

nessisonett

@Th3solution Did you perhaps edit your comment to add the tags? I don’t think you get a notification if that happens.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Th3solution

@nessisonett No, I’m pretty sure I had tagged them from the get-go. Probably just a glitch. I was thinking Ral and Kid had put me on ignore! 😜

Ralizah

@Th3solution Y'know, I hadn't thought about that, but it is another interesting level of meta-commentary having one of the murders take place in a video game (kinda). One thing that was interesting to me was how the universe of Danganronpa V3 is essentially a "what if" version of our own, given Danganronpa also started out as mere video games/anime/novels in that universe. Some people dislike the level of self-reflection in this entry about the nature of fiction and its connection to human morality, but I think it's one factor that helps to elevate this one above the pure exploitation film stylings of previous entries.

I spent about 120 hours getting the platinum trophy in this game, and maybe 45 of that was spent on the actual main game, lol. Most of the extra content is worth engaging with. Unless you're dead set on getting the platinum, though, I'd say to give the arcade game trophies a pass. I spent countless hours trying to master Treasure Hunter Monolith, and I have the horrible 10 second music loop permanently seared into my brain.

Th3solution

@Ralizah That’s good advice. I’m mainly interested in filling out the relationship cards with each character and doing the Salmon Team and maybe the Ultimate Talent Development Plan

Blooper987

With the fact that the Game Awards are being streamed in Tokyo, I think the possibility of something Danganronpa related has increased. It’s just a gut feeling I have and I’m not really expecting anything but it’s definitely a possibility.

The 10th anniversary has been surprisingly slow from a video game standpoint with most of the celebration stuff being physical goodies. I think this year or next year a new Danganronpa game will be announced (whether it’s DR4 or Ultra despair girls 2, idk)

Ralizah

@Blooper987 The original creator is done with the series, so if they do make a new DR game, it's going to be without his involvement. That's like making Metal Gear Solid 6 without Hideo Kojima's input, IMO.

Blooper987

@Ralizah I know, and that’s really sad. But I think they’re gonna try to make at least one more without him and see how it is received. I think we’ll definitely get another spinoff first, but down the line a fourth more experimental mainline game wouldn’t surprise me. Maybe they’ll kind of scrap the first three games stories and bring back Monokuma, but change everything else.

He also said he would like to return to DR at some point. I definitely do not think the mainline series is over, it’s just taking a break.

Edited on by Blooper987

HallowMoonshadow

Blooper987 wrote:

With the fact that the Game Awards are being streamed in Tokyo, I think the possibility of something Danganronpa related has increased. It’s just a gut feeling I have and I’m not really expecting anything but it’s definitely a possibility.

The 10th anniversary has been surprisingly slow from a video game standpoint with most of the celebration stuff being physical goodies. I think this year or next year a new Danganronpa game will be announced (whether it’s DR4 or Ultra despair girls 2, idk)

I still need to return to v3 Killing Harmony at some point... AND I've got Ultra Despair Girls to go through still too so I hope a new game isn't announced just yet so I can catch up @Blooper987 😄

Isn't there some exclusive switch game he's making with the guy who did the zero escape games? Maybe that's possibly getting a release date?

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

PSVR_lover

I’d love an Ultra despair girls 2. On my wish list big time.

The PSVR is the best VR system on the market today.

Sorry, this topic has been locked.