Forums

Topic: Danganronpa

Posts 381 to 400 of 435

johncalmc

I know I'm like 100 years late to this party but I just finished Danganronpa V3 after playing the first two years ago (and then replaying them prior to this) and I had to immediatelg rush to my local gaming forum to announce how much I hate it.

johncalmc

Twitter:

nessisonett

@johncalmc Oh boy, that’s gonna go down well 😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

johncalmc

@nessisonett Is it generally liked? I'm pretty good at media blackout on stuff I care about so even though it came out ages ago I knew literally nothing about it. Just about to embark on my post-game Google. It's still fresh - credits are still on as I type - but my initial feeling is pretty negative overall.

johncalmc

Twitter:

nessisonett

@johncalmc People seem to rate the third game’s ending as one of the best in all of gaming. I’ve only played the first one though.

johncalmc

@nessisonett Wow. I thought the ending was a total mess. I liked the cast quite a bit but I found most of the mysteries and trials pretty boring and the overall story didn't land for me.

I was quite surprised actually because I had two theories from quite early on about how it would play out and one of them was actually pretty close, whereas I've never been able to predict where the previous games were going.

Oh well. I've still got the first two 😂

johncalmc

Twitter:

mookysam

@johncalmc It's definitely something of a Marmite game. I loved the ending and found it quite thought provoking. I didn't like the cast quite as much as the other games though.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Ralizah

@nessisonett People either seem to love or hate the ending of V3. It's VERY, VERY polarizing. I can see both points of view, although I very much lean toward loving the ending. Danganronpa 2 definitely has the best "classic" Danganronpa ending, if such a thing exists, and is much more immediately satisfying on a narrative level, but V3's themes and deconstructive elements will stick with me a lot longer.

BTW, even if the ending left you feeling a bit down, @johncalmc , don't neglect the amazing post-game content. It's effectively two different games (a digital board game and a JRPG) tied together by a card-dispenser mini-game. You kinda have to play all three 'modes' in unison to unlock everything. But the board game segment ends up being an amazing celebration of the entire franchise. Even characters from the Danganronpa 3 anime show up!

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

johncalmc

@Ralizah I've already deleted the game 😂 I didn't like the post-game stuff in the previous games so I just didn't bother. I might do at some point but unlike the previous games which I've played multiple times because I love their narratives, I can't imagine ever playing 3 again.

Even beyond the ending, I just didn't enjoy most of it. I liked the start and the first case, but after that I was mostly waiting for it to get going which for me it never did.

The previous two I thought had some lulls before building to pretty spectacular finishes, and I thought the same would apply here which is mostly what was keeping me interested.

I think they thought the final revelations were a lot cleverer than they actually were, which perhaps explains why the last trial goes on for what feels like twelve hours, but once it became clear that there weren't going to be any more twists or turns and that really was it I just couldn't wait for it to end.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Kidfried

I never dabbled with the post game content. I always read the posts and such by people who loved it and why, based on their words I don't really expect to love it.

Also, I always thought the endings were satisfying on their own.

Maybe I'm wrong and this content does add a lot, but I'm just afraid it's why too much grind versus fun.

Also, I didn't hate the ending, but I don't regard it as one of the best endings in video games or something. It's ok.

(Best ending in a video game sounds like a very cool topic to discuss on here by the way)

Kidfried

nessisonett

@Kidfried I feel like we need a respectful argument thread where we make our cases for discussions like best ending or best bosses and such. Until someone makes the incredibly unpopular and divisive opinion that Days Gone is a good game of course 😉

Ralizah

So as many of you may already be aware, this series is being ported to the Switch in the form of a collection and, in the process, the post-game modes in V3 are being fleshed out and made into a separate game called Danganronpa S: Ultimate Summer Camp. It also includes brand new interactions with original characters from Ultra Despair Girls.

Which makes me wonder: are they removing the post-game stuff from V3 on Switch, since it's being made into a separate game? Because I think that would probably shift me back to liking DR2 more than V3 overall.

Edited on by Ralizah

PSVR_lover

Dangarompa is not for everyone. I loved all three. The ending of V3 shocked me, but then again dangarompa 1 and 2 endings caught me by surprise also. So I have no clue how they could do a Dangaronpa 4 and keep up the tradition of weird endings.

The PSVR is the best VR system on the market today.

crimsontadpoles

I've finished watching the anime Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak High School. Despite its name, this actually relates to the stories of Danganronpa 1&2, not V3. I watched it in release order, alternating between Future and Despair episodes, with the Hope episode at the end.

It was alright, but not great. Some of it gets too ridiculous, even by Danganronpa standards. There are some pacing issues, with the Despair arc taking a while to get going. Plus, many of the new characters would get into trouble long before they've had enough screen time for me to get attached to them.

On the plus side, I did like the extra lore. And the series does have its moments, particularly in the Future arc.

Edited on by crimsontadpoles

PSVR_lover

crimsontadpoles wrote:

I've finished watching the anime Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak High School. Despite its name, this actually relates to the stories of Danganronpa 1&2, not V3. I watched it in release order, alternating between Future and Despair episodes, with the Hope episode at the end.

It was alright, but not great. Some of it gets too ridiculous, even by Danganronpa standards. There are some pacing issues, with the Despair arc taking a while to get going. Plus, many of the new characters would get into trouble long before they've had enough screen time for me to get attached to them.

On the plus side, I did like the extra lore. And the series does have its moments, particularly in the Future arc.

I have not seen the anime’s, maybe I should start.

Ralizah

@PSVR_lover OK, so, disclaimer.

There are two anime series. One is an adaptation of the first game, and it's terrible. The other, Danganronpa 3, is the canon sequel to the first two games and Ultra Despair Girls.

Danganronpa 3 is composed of two separate arcs, Despair and Future, that tell different stories. But the episodes were meant to be watched in alternating order, like how crimsontadpoles describes.

You can technically watch the two halves of the series separately, but doing so ruins a lot of the foreshadowing and narrative parallelism throughout the show, and certain plot elements will be spoiled for you that way, as the two storylines share certain characters.

@crimsontadpoles I actually really liked the more slice of life pace in the early Despair episodes, since I consider DR2's cast to be the best in the series, and it provides an interesting contrast with the insane bloodbath that arc turns into later on.

Future arc, comparatively, felt like diet Zero Escape. I'm not sad I watched it, but, in retrospect, it was definitely my least favorite part of the series.

The show probably could have been better, but, IMO, watching the episodes with a friend who is also a Danganronpa fan as they released in Japan was a lot of fun, as we bounced off a lot of stupid fan theories over the course of the show's run.

Still not sure if I'm more annoyed or amused about the english dub, which I discovered months later almost feels like watching an abridged series at times.

Edited on by Ralizah

johncalmc

I actually quite liked the Danganronpa anime (the first series). I think it's kinda good and it gets the tone right but the problem is that it needs like twice as many episodes and it needs to flesh the characters out and the events that are going on. The game unfolds slowly whereas the anime is like BAM BAM BAM with twists and turns and who is this guy again and why is this person doing this?

johncalmc

Twitter:

PSVR_lover

johncalmc wrote:

I actually quite liked the Danganronpa anime (the first series). I think it's kinda good and it gets the tone right but the problem is that it needs like twice as many episodes and it needs to flesh the characters out and the events that are going on. The game unfolds slowly whereas the anime is like BAM BAM BAM with twists and turns and who is this guy again and why is this person doing this?

I’m sold, I’ll start watching them ASAP. They sound wonderful.

LtSarge

It's really interesting to read people's opinions on the Danganronpa games since they've been recently reviewed on NintendoLife, particularly V3. I knew the ending is controversial but there were a lot of people who apparently outright hated it. I personally thought the ending was phenomenal because it did something I didn't expect at all and it was very daring. In this day and age when the majority of games literally plays the same, has the same structure in story, the same type of ending and so on, it was super refreshing to actually experience a different kind of ending. I'll always commend developers for trying something different and in this case, they did something you never see in a video game and that's awesome. I'm just so tired of having the same kind of experiences, you know?

This made me think of another game that also received a lot of hate for its controversial choices, which is The Last of Us: Part II. I've kinda already had that game spoiled for me but now I'm really curious to see what I will think of it when I eventually play it in its entirety. Because when I was reading those comments on NL, they gave off the same kind of vibe I felt when I read the comments for TLOU Part 2, i.e. hating on the game because it did something unconventional. I honestly think now that I belong in the group of people who love unconventional choices in video games and if TLOU Part 2 is just as unconventional as Danganronpa V3, then I think I'm going to love that game as well (hopefully).

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

nessisonett

@LtSarge If you just took Nintendo Life comments’ word for it then you’d probably end up a sexist homophobe who thinks that every single game in the history of the world is copying Breath of The Wild. I wouldn’t read too much into it.

Sorry, this topic has been locked.